People with career changes are Smart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure on the former stuff as that’s a question for PAs/NPs but in terms of PA/NP schooling, there is a pretty big difference in schools and i wouldn’t say they’re in the same bucket. NP has expanded, many new programs and schools but is still quite competitive, while PA is still very strict, few new programs, and small class sizes (25-50). In terms of BLS, HRSA backs those numbers/predictions as well for PAs/NPs.
Agree. PA schooling is a lot more rigorous than NP.

I must say that the 1 PA and 1 NP in my hospitalist group have a cushy job. They make 130k/yr working 7 days on/off (7a-7pm). They see the less complicated patients. They are usually done with their works by 1-2pm and then spend the rest of the time watching TV until 5:30pm when they can officially leave the hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Does pharmacy (especially inpatient) require one to be that much of an extrovert?

I will be honest here to say that I don't know too much about what pharmacists do. But the one I interact with everyday as a hospitalist seem to have a job that do no require that much interaction with people.

I see them on the floor and talk to them if I need to consult them about something (eg., warfarin dosing, TPN etc...) or they usually call me if they want me to address something.
I wouldn't say at all you have to be an extrovert- where I was commenting was someone thinking working in a retail pharmacy is some sort of calm atmosphere, it is caotic at best with phones ringing, customers waiting, etc.
Hospital can be a little calmer, I am a pretty chill person - so rarely do I ever get worked up (not counting a code or something)

But I was cautioning the other poster from thinking it is like a library with no distractions.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. PA schooling is a lot more rigorous than NP.

I must say that the 1 PA and 1 NP in my hospitalist group have a cushy job. They make 130k/yr working 7 days on/off (7a-7pm). They see the less complicated patients. They are usually done with their works by 1-2pm and then spend the rest of the time watching TV until 5:30pm when they can officially leave the hospital.
Not sure about your hospital- but our PA/NP that do that (for an outside group - NOT hospital employees) do not get any time off - they literally work all those shifts where our RPh's that do that- also get PDO, so for someone at the top of the time off scale- they get an additional 320 hours off.

Status
Not open for further replies.