===Penn State Class of 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, and also, am I the only one who hasn't joined the facebook group yet?...looks like i'm gonna have to reactivate my stalkernet account...

Members don't see this ad.

Oh the second look day was very informative. They had several sessions run by Dean of Admissions or other physicians or the students themselves regarding Penn State and life in Hershey. There was also one PBL session in which I actually learned a lot. There was also a lot of food. :D

But I have a question for those who went. I think I learned much about the on-campus housing. However, my parents were told yesterday that it is much better to put the start date for on-campus housing earlier than Aug. 1st to make sure we actually get it. They had heard that because the on campus housing is so popular, there is a chance that it might not be available if we put in a later move in date. Now, I did not talk to any students to verify this so I am not 100% sure. Did you guys hear anything on similar trends regarding the on-campus housing?

Also, how many of you guys are planning to buy the PSU laptops? It seems much more expensive than outside sources, but at the same time it is compatible to their system. Currently I have a PC (not a laptop I mean) which I am pretty happy to use now. You know when I was getting a tour of campus yesterday, I noticed computers everywhere. Also if I decide to live on campus (which I most definitely will), I have easy access to on campus resources. So do you guys think it is possible for me to not buy a laptop at all? This is just a thought, so dont get mad at me if it sounds silly! :laugh:

Thanks and I hope that you guys enjoyed the second look day!

Hey Everyone,
I had a great time at the 2nd look weekend! Here is some potentially helpful information that I learned at the session:
1) The laptop program seemed in my opinion a bit overpriced and not worth it. There appear to be a decent number of computers on campus and if you want to get a laptop you can get a better deal than the Dell laptop they were offering for $1600.

2) Something new that had changed since I interviewed is that the school is planning on videotaping lectures starting this Fall. Therefore, there would be streaming video online and audio podcast files available for each lecture. I think this will be a really nice option in addition to a student notetaking service.

3) The "mysterious" lecture halls and labs that were not seen on interview day are really quite nice.

Again, it was nice to meet those who went to 2nd look. After the visit, I have decided to officially withdraw all applications from other schools and become a member of PSCOM Class of 2011.:D

Video Taped Lectures?!?!?!?!?:hungover: :hungover: :hungover: :hungover: :hungover: :hungover: :hungover:

Please Tell Me I'm Dreaming

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the best moments of the day was when Dr. Bollard said something along the lines of:

"I mean, I look at some of those medical students from the top schools in the country, and sure they're intelligent, but seriously there's no way I'd ever let them treat my dog, let alone my kids and family."
:laugh:

Overall a good day. Many of the accepted students I met were very excited about Penn State and definitely planned on attending this fall. Current students said it was by far their highest turnout for a 2nd look weekend.

One of the best moments of the day was when Dr. Bollard said something along the lines of:

"I mean, I look at some of those medical students from the top schools in the country, and sure they're intelligent, but seriously there's no way I'd ever let them treat my dog, let alone my kids and family."
:laugh:

Overall a good day. Many of the accepted students I met were very excited about Penn State and definitely planned on attending this fall. Current students said it was by far their highest turnout for a 2nd look weekend.

How many people were there?

Hey Everyone,
I had a great time at the 2nd look weekend! Here is some potentially helpful information that I learned at the session:
1) The laptop program seemed in my opinion a bit overpriced and not worth it. There appear to be a decent number of computers on campus and if you want to get a laptop you can get a better deal than the Dell laptop they were offering for $1600.

2) Something new that had changed since I interviewed is that the school is planning on videotaping lectures starting this Fall. Therefore, there would be streaming video online and audio podcast files available for each lecture. I think this will be a really nice option in addition to a student notetaking service.

3) The "mysterious" lecture halls and labs that were not seen on interview day are really quite nice.

Again, it was nice to meet those who went to 2nd look. After the visit, I have decided to officially withdraw all applications from other schools and become a member of PSCOM Class of 2011.:D

I remember him saying this, but I also thought he said they were "planning" on making "some" lectures available online--does anyone know if this is a for sure thing?

How many people were there?

There were 13 mock PBL sections with about 7 to 8 students per. About 100 students registered, I'm sure not all of them showed though.

Hey Everybody!

I'm 95% sure I will be your classmate, so I thought I would say hello :D I wasn't able to make it to second look, but it seems like it was a great time. It also seems like I will have some awesome classmates if I come to PSU! I will look forward to meeting you all in August.

I just wanted to add some insight into the housing issue...

I called the Housing Office last week and they confirmed that you should put as early a move-in date as possible (she seemed to suggest mid-July was best) if you want to be assured on-campus housing. Also, she said that it was very unlikely that a first-year would get a one bedroom, regardless of move-in date. In fact, there is already a waitlist. However, she did say that one bedrooms might open up in late fall, and you could move at that point if you aren't happy with your roommate or just need more space to yourself.

I think I will have to live off-campus because I have a cat. During the lunch with students on interview day I asked some people about having pets, and they said a lot of people get away with it. My only concern is, since one bedrooms aren't available, I might get paired with a roommate who is allergic or just doesn't like cats. Did they go into any more detail at second look about how they match up roommates? Did anybody go check out any of the off-campus housing options?

I was worried about bringing my cat too, but I'm leaving him with my sister and if it looks like I can sneak him in, I will.

I just changed my move-in date to earlier, just in case. The woman in the housing office said that they will let us know in the next few weeks what our assignments are and in some cases they might not be able to tell us the exact apt, because the newly renovated apts will be given out as they are finished. But they will confirm whether or not they can guarentee us housing.

I'm a Mac person and don't want to give it up, so I'm buying a new Macbook before school starts.

Can't wait!

Does a current PSU student know how much time is given to study for step 1? The website makes it look like it's only a couple of weeks.
Also does anyone know how many to a pit in anatomy lab?
Finally, what books are recommended to buy for first year (I'm sure some are not necessary).

Does a current PSU student know how much time is given to study for step 1? The website makes it look like it's only a couple of weeks.
Also does anyone know how many to a pit in anatomy lab?
Finally, what books are recommended to buy for first year (I'm sure some are not necessary).

During 2nd look it was mentioned several times that it was about 6 weeks.

You have about 6 wks for step 1 (from May to June). A group of 4-5 student per cadaver. You'll do a real dissection from the bottom (leg) in the first weeks. Except for the brain (was already removed), student will do everything in cadever ( I like it).

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been reading about all of the expansion and projected growth at the hospital, it's amazing. Between the new Cancer Institute, Children's Hospital, proposed research building on the other end of the crescent... I might not want to leave after four years. Looking forward to August too...

Hey all-

Any other non-traditional students out there who are starting to feel anxious about leaving everything (great job, boyfriend/girlfriend, family, etc.) behind? If so, please let me know so I don't feel alone!

Thanks!

Hey all-

Any other non-traditional students out there who are starting to feel anxious about leaving everything (great job, boyfriend/girlfriend, family, etc.) behind? If so, please let me know so I don't feel alone!

Thanks!

I'm leaving family behind =(. I'm not really nontrad though. I've only been out of college for a little bit and I definitely don't mind leaving my job, lol.

I'm a non-trad. 26 years old and leaving New Mexico to come out there. I am very happy to be leaving my job(Government Labs SUCK) and am still trying to figure out where to live in Hershey. My boyfriend got into law school at Temple in Philly. Hopefully I will be able to see him once in a while:oops:
Don't worry, we are all in this together!!

definitely anxious about leaving things behind and especially to live out in the country :( yikes...

I submitted my online housing request yesterday. I am not sure if it really went through, because I was having some problems with my computer. I remember getting to the page saying that it went through, but I'll probably call housing tomorrow to check.

Also, I remember the form asked whether we have any specific roommate preferences. Now, I didn't know anyone to put down. I made friends with a bunch of guys on second look, but I didn't know whether I should put their name down. Now I wanted to ask you guys whether later on we will get something in the mail from the housing department to match us based on habits. I mean that online form only asked my gender and whether I smoke.

But I mean, there are so many other issues that they should consider when assigning roommates, right?:rolleyes: Whether the person likes to listen to loud music, or go to bed late, etc. The reason I am asking this is because I have had bad experiences with roommates before. You know when they are too loud, or too lazy to wash their dishes, or take their trash out, etc. :mad:

The last thing I want to worry about in my first year as I am trying to adjust is if my roommate would wash his dishes on time. I mean, it is very unlikely that a med student is like that, but you never know :laugh:

By the way, it seems that the costs are higher this year from what I was told on second look by students. How many of you guys have thought about living off campus? I actually visited an off-campus apartment. It was pretty nice and large and CHEAP. The place(I think it was Biacrest?) was probably five minutes from campus by car (maybe even less). But when I think about it, I still need to drive my car every day to campus, which means I have to worry about parking. Also, during the winter, I have to make sure my car is warmed up and I have to scrap the ice.......:( So overall, even though I will probably save $100/month, it might be a little inconvenient.

So what do you guys think?:confused: Any ideas about roommate selection process? :cool:

Hey all-

Thanks!

I am also a non-trad (I will turn 28 this summer) ... leaving everything and moving from the west coast. I am getting ready to sell my house, quit my job, move away from family and friends... Its kind of scary. However, I am kinda looking forward to quitting my job!

Also, I am almost certain I am going to buy a house over there(hopefully Hummelstown/Hershey or eastern side of Harrisburg... w/in 10mins to campus is my plan). I am going back at the end of May to decide for sure and I will also more than likely be looking for a couple of roommates then. I currently have a cat, so it would be a pet friendly situation. Also rent would be ~$300 + shared utilities. PM me if you might be interested. I'll be able to tell you more at the end of the month.

i understand your hesitation about roommates because I have had many bad experiences too when you get into living arrangements without really knowing anyone. I understand that it can be a tricky process. I did not know what to do but I really wanted to live on campus so i put one bedroom and then small two bedroom for my second choice. I am going to foot the bill for the first semester and then plan on trying to get someone in our class to move in with me for the second semester cause it would be reasonably cheaper then living off campus alone. I have been working in NYC for a couple years so I am kind of anxious about getting back to school and dont really want to have to deal with a bad living situation when I am trying to get accustomed to school much less medical school. I understand that I am really fortunate because I have had a decent job and can probably be able to manage this for a semester. These are just my thoughts but i agree with you that it is a tricky situation. Hope everyone had a great time at second look.

Just turned 25 here. From what I understand with the housing, 1 bedrooms are pretty much not an option for 1st years i.e. high demand and we are low on the totem pole, and if you are a 1st year applying for a 2 bedroom, you will be assigned a roomate if you do not have a person that you will be living with already. I think their goal is to provide as many students with housing as possible.

Buffetfan...I would doublecheck this if you are planning on living on your own that first year. It may not be possible on campus. Just trying to look out for you.

My wife and I have actually decided now that we want to live on campus as well because she will most likely be working at the medical center as well. We will be out there in July sometime, and look forward to meeting you all.

hey ALL, i just wanted to say hi to my future classmates. :love: I am a bit anxious myself since I'll be moving from sunny Cali to Hershey. I've never lived in a cold place with snow before so it should be interesting. :scared: I've been out of college for several years and am a bit nervous getting back into the studying mode. Yikes.

I can't wait to see you all during orientation.. :hardy: :p ;) :D

Thanks for all the great responses to my non-trad post! It sounds like there are a lot of us "older" students out there in similar situations. As Patricia said, we are all in this together. I am looking forward to being part of such a supportive group :D

I agree with all of you who are concerned about roommates. I am definitely not interested in getting paired with someone I can't get along with - stressing about your living situation is the last thing anyone needs! I also have heard that getting a 1 bedroom as a first year is impossible. I will most likely live off-campus somewhere where I can get a 1 bedroom that allows pets. I have heard mixed things about the Briarcrest here and elsewhere, but my current apartment is far from glamorous so I am sure I will be fine with it. I understand it is directly next to campus housing, so if you would walk from there, it shouldn't be a problem to walk from the Briarcrest. I guess it helps that I will most likely be dealing with LESS cold and snow once I move to Hershey...;)

PS Patricia, do you work in the labs at Los Alamos?

Guys,
I'm also another non-trad ( 28 this fall). I agreed with the above regarding roommates. I used to live in dorm at UMich and my roommate was great. He was very clean and neat and I hope my PSU roommate will be like this too. I don't think we have time to deal with roommate issues.
Still NOT received my Fin Aid by today. Poor me.
I'm looking forward to quit my job this July (or June). Can't wait to wear the Lion Logo coat around the hospital.

Yep. I'm from Oregon originally and moved here a year and a half ago for a post-bacc. position. It's a really weird place to live and work. The town/lab is built on a high mesa pitted against a mountain range. That way nobody can see the lab from the ground level, which was particularly important during the Manhattan project. Problem is, that there is no room for expansion up here so you are left with a densely populated area and no real stores or restaurants. We are very isolated to say the least and the nuclear scientists can be strange, but it is very pretty here. Hershey will be an exciting move for me!:thumbup: Yeehaw!

I also really want to buy a house. I am just a little afraid to during this housing market slump. Who's knows if it will improve in the next four years or not!!! Risky business!!

Thanks for all the great responses to my non-trad post! It sounds like there are a lot of us "older" students out there in similar situations. As Patricia said, we are all in this together. I am looking forward to being part of such a supportive group :D

I agree with all of you who are concerned about roommates. I am definitely not interested in getting paired with someone I can't get along with - stressing about your living situation is the last thing anyone needs! I also have heard that getting a 1 bedroom as a first year is impossible. I will most likely live off-campus somewhere where I can get a 1 bedroom that allows pets. I have heard mixed things about the Briarcrest here and elsewhere, but my current apartment is far from glamorous so I am sure I will be fine with it. I understand it is directly next to campus housing, so if you would walk from there, it shouldn't be a problem to walk from the Briarcrest. I guess it helps that I will most likely be dealing with LESS cold and snow once I move to Hershey...;)

Blackstar, where are you moving from?

I also really want to buy a house. I am just a little afraid to during this housing market slump. Who's knows if it will improve in the next four years or not!!! Risky business!!

True, buying a house could be risky and/or a major distraction (if something needs repair in the middle of the semester, etc.). I guess it seems like a good investment since that area always has a lot of students and residents coming and going so there would always be people interested in renting... so even if the market did take a turn for the worse, you could always just rent it out until it got better. Just my opinion....

From what I have figured out the process of roommate assignments is completely random. This kind of worries me a bit. I have heard that you could request for a change in roommates if you absolutely cannot deal with them, but with all the stress of first year, that is gonna be tough. :(

It seems from different posts that many of you guys are interested in buying a house and perhaps leasing it to other people. See that sounds like a great idea, and being a traditional applicant, I have not had the experience in the "real" world to really know the different aspects of it. My dad was telling me to perhaps try to invest in something during my PSU years. However, having NO experience, I feel worried that I might actually make mistakes, etc. Besides, from what I know, it seems that many med students wait until residency to buy a house, new car, etc. I really don't know how that is possible though, because of all the loans they had to take in med school. I mean, how high is the credit score of a resident?

Any way, I guess now I should try to find a roommate. :rolleyes: By the way, I am still not so sure if I want to live on campus even though I submitted my housing stuff already. :scared:

On another note, I received my award letter. I know some other people had already posted their awards here, but mine seems a little different. Here is how it looks:

Federal Perkins loan: 6,000
Waltenbaugh scholarship: 7,000
U. Loan- E.D. Byrne Memorial: 4,000
Federal Sub Stafford Loan: 8,500
Federal unsub stafford loan: 34208
Total: 59,708

Now, I have to mention that on that green financial aid form that I submitted to PSU, I had said that I was interested in primary care. So I don't know if the Waltenbaugh scholarship is for that. Have you guys had similar awards?

I should SERIOUSLY stop asking so many questions. :laugh:

Thanks!

On another note, I received my award letter. I know some other people had already posted their awards here, but mine seems a little different. Here is how it looks:

Federal Perkins loan: 6,000
Waltenbaugh scholarship: 7,000
U. Loan- E.D. Byrne Memorial: 4,000
Federal Sub Stafford Loan: 8,500
Federal unsub stafford loan: 34208
Total: 59,708

Now, I have to mention that on that green financial aid form that I submitted to PSU, I had said that I was interested in primary care. So I don't know if the Waltenbaugh scholarship is for that. Have you guys had similar awards?

I should SERIOUSLY stop asking so many questions. :laugh:

Thanks!

Wow, thats the best financial package I've seen someone post on here!! Congrats on the scholarships!

I received an estimate for 3k scholarship too (not official yet, still waiting for). Your package is definitely best.
Did you guys withdraw from other schools yet? I have 1 more to withdraw. Still working, looking forward to quit my job.

Blackstar, where are you moving from?

I am coming from Michigan. Although this is the only state I've ever lived in, I can't image any other state having such crazy weather. In March, we had a 80 degree day and it snowed less than 72 hours later :eek: Even if Hershey is colder on average, I just hope it is more predictable!

Patricia-

My uncle works in Los Alamos, so I've been there about five times or so to visit his family. He is definitely a mad scientist, but in a good way...I think. I love it when I am there for just a week or so, but I can understand how living there might get old. The main thing I like is all the great trails that are nearby. Are you a hiker?

Just letting all of you know that I officially withdrew from Penn State this morning--my fiance's job didn't fall through, so as much as I would like to move, I really can't bring myself to.

PSU's a great school, though, and I'm sure you all will love it there. Good luck! :)

Patricia-

My uncle works in Los Alamos, so I've been there about five times or so to visit his family. He is definitely a mad scientist, but in a good way...I think. I love it when I am there for just a week or so, but I can understand how living there might get old. The main thing I like is all the great trails that are nearby. Are you a hiker?

Blackstar,
I love the trails here and I love to hike. I got a dog last year and he definitely appreciates the exercise. Hopefully there will be some trails where we are going(Appalachian trail??). Los Alamos is a great place to raise a family, but not good place to be in your twenties.

Blackstar,
I love the trails here and I love to hike. I got a dog last year and he definitely appreciates the exercise. Hopefully there will be some trails where we are going(Appalachian trail??). Los Alamos is a great place to raise a family, but not good place to be in your twenties.

Being optimistic that we might actually have free time to do hiking (probably unlikely), I already checked out some trails that are near Hershey! There seem to be a few parks within about 15 miles that have several shorter trails. Also, there are a few entrances to the Appalachian Trail just north and west of Harrisburg, which might be good for a weekend excursion. Hope we get a chance to check it out!

hi guys,
Did you complete your promissory note with your lender? It said from the web that 90% of PSU COM students used T.H.E as the lender. Can anyone share any experience on this matter? I just received my official Fin Aid today.
Thanks

hi guys,
Did you complete your promissory note with your lender? It said from the web that 90% of PSU COM students used T.H.E as the lender. Can anyone share any experience on this matter? I just received my official Fin Aid today.
Thanks

I recently went with THE and had a really easy time with it. I even screwed up the loan amount by accident, called up and immediately got on the line with a live person(I hate "For this press 2, for that press 3"). She quickly changed it and it was updated online instantly! I never thought taking out loan money would be so easy...

hi guys,
Thanks

Yayyy you finally got your fin aid package. Did you get any good or surprising news?

I withdrew today ($$$). Best of luck to all the waitlisters!

Hey guys, for those that want to live by themselves first year (until they make friends and get to know people) what are you doing in terms of housing??? I'm going away for nearly all the summer and have to figure out my housing situation in a few days and yet i'm not sure what to do since loans only cover 422 per month, which is obviously not enough if you dont want to have a roommmate!! any suggestions? there are no 1 bdrs on campus and the 2 bedrooms unshared is like 880 per month..briarcrest is cheaper but not by much and given the fact that i will be forgoing comfort and being on campus i dont know what to do...

Hey guys, for those that want to live by themselves first year (until they make friends and get to know people) what are you doing in terms of housing??? I'm going away for nearly all the summer and have to figure out my housing situation in a few days and yet i'm not sure what to do since loans only cover 422 per month, which is obviously not enough if you dont want to have a roommmate!! any suggestions? there are no 1 bdrs on campus and the 2 bedrooms unshared is like 880 per month..briarcrest is cheaper but not by much and given the fact that i will be forgoing comfort and being on campus i dont know what to do...

Yeah, I was thinking about the same issue ($422/month) for housing. If you look at the estimated housing cost, it is like $439. There are 1 bedroom apartments on campus but from what I know, it is almost impossible to get them as a first year. I am also against the idea of living off-campus even if it is only 5 minutes away.

On another note, catau, about the permissory note, I received a letter from the AAMC about the medloans program. Did you get a letter like that? But based on PSU students' experience it seems that T.H.E. is probably the best option. I haven't really had the time to look into that though.

By the way catau, if you don't mind, did you receive all loans for your Fin Aid package?

Yeah, I was thinking about the same issue ($422/month) for housing. If you look at the estimated housing cost, it is like $439. There are 1 bedroom apartments on campus but from what I know, it is almost impossible to get them as a first year. I am also against the idea of living off-campus even if it is only 5 minutes away.

On another note, catau, about the permissory note, I received a letter from the AAMC about the medloans program. Did you get a letter like that? But based on PSU students' experience it seems that T.H.E. is probably the best option. I haven't really had the time to look into that though.

By the way catau, if you don't mind, did you receive all loans for your Fin Aid package?

i spoke to housing they said it is impossible for first years to get a one bedroom...yeah this is getting to be a much too complicated decision...

Hey Yalla,

Yeah...it's definitely a tough situation. My plan as of now is to get the cheapest 1 bedroom at the briarcrest (I think it is around $600). It is definitely more expensive than sharing an on-campus apartment, but I like that it is the closest apartment complex to the medical campus and that it allows pets. I am hoping to get a short-term lease there (haven't asked management about the logistics yet, just know they offer them), so if I meet someone during the fall I want to room with we can move on-campus before second semester starts. When I talked to housing, I was given the impression that moving in at any point is a possibility. Hope this helps! Good luck :D

Hey Yalla,

Yeah...it's definitely a tough situation. My plan as of now is to get the cheapest 1 bedroom at the briarcrest (I think it is around $600). It is definitely more expensive than sharing an on-campus apartment, but I like that it is the closest apartment complex to the medical campus and that it allows pets. I am hoping to get a short-term lease there (haven't asked management about the logistics yet, just know they offer them), so if I meet someone during the fall I want to room with we can move on-campus before second semester starts. When I talked to housing, I was given the impression that moving in at any point is a possibility. Hope this helps! Good luck :D

Hey Blackstar, I think i'm going to be doing the same..it looks fine, and its good for the price. I'm bringing my cat -did you read their pet policy? its intense...!

I remember from second look that they said we sign the master promisary note during orientation. Am I right?

Why don't we start a roomate matching post here or on facebook?

I remember from second look that they said we sign the master promisary note during orientation. Am I right?

Why don't we start a roomate matching post here or on facebook?

I think that is a great idea... I spoke to a few people but nothing is definite. I'm a male, traditional student from NY... I applied for the joint 2 bedroom apartment on campus. I tend to be pretty clean, I clean up after cooking always. I also study a lot in my room, not necessarily in the library. If anyone has similar habits, let me know, I'de love to know my housing situation before I get there.

@futuredoc,
I received my official package in a small letter ( I hope you received the same too). Yes, I had bad news. I didn't see my scholarship (3k) on my Fin Aid. I called Fin Aid yesterday and they told me that's a mistake. So I still have my 3k scholarship. I also received all loans for my Fin Aid. I'm doing some research about repayment after residency. I think I'll pick THE and sign the forms electronically by the end of this month. We'll sign for our university loan and perkins on orientation.

I'm wondering how we can find a 420 rent per month too?

@futuredoc,
I received my official package in a small letter ( I hope you received the same too). Yes, I had bad news. I didn't see my scholarship (3k) on my Fin Aid. I called Fin Aid yesterday and they told me that's a mistake. So I still have my 3k scholarship. I also received all loans for my Fin Aid. I'm doing some research about repayment after residency. I think I'll pick THE and sign the forms electronically by the end of this month. We'll sign for our university loan and perkins on orientation.

I'm wondering how we can find a 420 rent per month too?

So it seems that no one is going with other lenders such as Medloan, etc. OK, I guess I will have to go with T.H.E. as well. Is there a due date for signing the online form though? You say you will sign it by the end of the month. It is just that I am currently very busy with studying for finals. :(

By the way, catau, are you out of state?