===Penn State Class of 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
futuredoc,
I guess the problem ( not really) with Medloan is they will send you a form in mail. This takes a while. Even though THE seems to have many benefits, I still need to look carefully. Just curiosity, what kind of finals in this week? it looks like everyone graduated already or started summer.
Yes, I'm out of state. That's why I'm 97% to go PSU.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey did anyone catch what the financial aid spokesperson said at first look about the most common lender? i am so confused about all this lender business and will probably just go w the most trusted/common one :p

Helloo, I'll be joining you all next year :)

I couldn't make it to the second-look weekend. Is there anyone here who was fortunate enough to go on a tour of the on-campus apartments who could shed some light on what they're like? thaankkss

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I filled out the application for my Stafford and Grad Plus loan on the T.H.E Website. My applications are currently, "in process", I guess once it's approved, we sign electronically. Anyone else looking into additional private loans? I think I'm going to buy a car! Wow, this is scary.

Currently interviewing subletters for my apt in nyc and planning my trip to ecuador. Can't wait until August!

Helloo, I'll be joining you all next year :)

I couldn't make it to the second-look weekend. Is there anyone here who was fortunate enough to go on a tour of the on-campus apartments who could shed some light on what they're like? thaankkss

They were really nice! Much better that the online tour through the housing office, since they were just recently renovated. Really nice kitchen, washer/dryer in the apartment for two people, brand new bathroom stuff! It's a great deal.

They were really nice! Much better that the online tour through the housing office, since they were just recently renovated. Really nice kitchen, washer/dryer in the apartment for two people, brand new bathroom stuff! It's a great deal.

Ok cool...the retro-80's look of the online tour was slightly disheartening. Good to hear!

Hey did anyone catch what the financial aid spokesperson said at first look about the most common lender? i am so confused about all this lender business and will probably just go w the most trusted/common one :p

hey there. most of the current students work with THE/northstar for loans. they've got a pretty good rep with our financial aid office.

Sorry I keep bringing up the loan issue. But just wanted to make sure: how long does it take to fill out the T.H.E application? Is there a due date for it soon? As I mentioned before, I am so busy with all these exams and I want to make sure I do fine in my classes, but at the same time, I don't want to miss any of these financial aid deadlines:scared:

I don't know, is it just me or are a lot of you guys also taking finals? :confused: I can't wait until graduation. :)

About the health forms, are they all due on June 1st?

All right, I guess I am done with questions. :oops:

Sorry I keep bringing up the loan issue. But just wanted to make sure: how long does it take to fill out the T.H.E application? Is there a due date for it soon? As I mentioned before, I am so busy with all these exams and I want to make sure I do fine in my classes, but at the same time, I don't want to miss any of these financial aid deadlines:scared:

I don't know, is it just me or are a lot of you guys also taking finals? :confused: I can't wait until graduation. :)

About the health forms, are they all due on June 1st?

All right, I guess I am done with questions. :oops:

It took literally 6 minutes to fill out the THE questions... Hopefully everybody is watching SNL, I just saw Linkin Park in concert on Sunday night at Bamboozled.

hey futuredoc,

I believe all the health forms are due on June 1. I got my physical and titres done last week and will send the forms this week.

Hey guys,

I remember somebody was talking about trying to find roomates for on-campus apartments through SDN or facebook. Well, I am a traditional male, and I try to keep the room clean (not too clean :D ). I do cook at times, but considering how busy we will be, I don't know. Anyway, if any of you guys are trying to find a roommate and think that at least you have relatively similar habits, send me a message here so that we can exchange more info about habits, etc.

Are many people going to be living off campus next year?:confused:

Thanks! :cool:

Anyone know when final transcripts are due? Is it just before classes start?

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I am on the hold list at Penn State, but I want to go there so bad! At the interview, the people were amazing, I liked the location (I'm definitely a country girl), and I loved the program! You don't get that everywhere. Anyone else in the same situation?

me... hold list and waiting to see if it pans out!

So far I am on the hold list at Penn State, but I want to go there so bad! At the interview, the people were amazing, I liked the location (I'm definitely a country girl), and I loved the program! You don't get that everywhere. Anyone else in the same situation?

It seems to me like you have a pretty good chance based on this forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=377354&page=6

PSU is one of the schools with the most acceptance withdrawals. Hope this puts you a little more at ease! Good luck :luck:

Anyone who is trying to live on campus looking for a roommate? I'm trying to live with another first year (so we can brave the waters together lol), preferably female. I've put in an application for a two bedroom at the beginning of August but I will probably move it to mid-end of July to try to definitely secure a place... unless I find someone else who has already been accepted for housing :idea: ... PM me if anyone else is looking for a first year roommate...

hey guys ... just wanted to say that I'm a huge fan of penn state. I always thought that it was strange when people say that they are obsessed with a certain school, but now i see why.

At my interview, everyone was sooooo nice. The students were ridiculously helpful - at one point I asked a student if he was getting paid by the school to be so nice. This is exactly the kind of environment I want to be in for the next 4 years. I hope I get accepted. I am currently on the "hold" list as well.

If not here, then I have to decide between EVMS and Georgetown (casual environment/cheaper vs. cutthroat environment/name recognition)

hey all, just wanted to let you know that the housing office called me today to see if it's ok that I move into campus housing Aug 1st (b/c i put a July 15 date). She said the rennovations are scheduled to be finished Aug 1st and we can pick up key after 5pm July 31st. Did anyone else get a call?

hey all, just wanted to let you know that the housing office called me today to see if it's ok that I move into campus housing Aug 1st (b/c i put a July 15 date). She said the rennovations are scheduled to be finished Aug 1st and we can pick up key after 5pm July 31st. Did anyone else get a call?

I also put an early move in date (mid-July). But I havent received a call from the housing office. :confused:

I was informed that of the same news as Reecie. I too put a July 15th date and was told that we would be moving in on August 1st as well. Sort of sucks that it is that late, but oh well. Maybe something else will open up in the mean time. My wife and I requested a two bedroom. I checked them out this last weekend. They are small, but they are nice enough. Plus you can't beat living on campus.

Nubbey, I also asked the woman to inform me as the date approaches if the apt is ready sooner. She said she put a note next to my name, so we'll see.

Does anyone know if the on campus apartments have thin walls...?

Or maybe it doesn't matter since we'll all be silently studying all of the time. :laugh:

Hey Everybody,

Just wanted to let you all know that I decided to withdraw from PSU and attend my state school. I guess in the end, as awesome as PSU is, 60k a year is just too much for me.

Have a great time together! Good luck to those of you waiting to get in- hope you get my spot :luck:

can we set up wireless internet in the campus apts?

Has anyone gotten the orientation packet in the mail yet?

I wanted to ask your opinion on this; I currently own a desktop which I am happy with. It is relatively easy to work with, even though it is of course much heavier and not as portable as a laptop. (I was thinking about getting one of those thin flat screen monitors because I currently own one of those big monitors which are of course so hard to move around. But then again, I will certainly not do that if I actually end up buying a laptop.)

I know that PSU recommends that we buy a laptop, but since I will be living on-campus and I will have access to computers on campus and my desktop when I spend time back in my room, do I really need to get a laptop? My dad keeps telling me that I do for a better quality of education.

I am not saying these because I don't want to spend the money on a laptop, but I just wanted to see what you guys think.

How about the PSU's laptop program? Are you guys going with that?:confused:

I wanted to ask your opinion on this; I currently own a desktop which I am happy with. It is relatively easy to work with, even though it is of course much heavier and not as portable as a laptop. (I was thinking about getting one of those thin flat screen monitors because I currently own one of those big monitors which are of course so hard to move around. But then again, I will certainly not do that if I actually end up buying a laptop.)

I know that PSU recommends that we buy a laptop, but since I will be living on-campus and I will have access to computers on campus and my desktop when I spend time back in my room, do I really need to get a laptop? My dad keeps telling me that I do for a better quality of education.

I am not saying these because I don't want to spend the money on a laptop, but I just wanted to see what you guys think.

How about the PSU's laptop program? Are you guys going with that?:confused:

it really depends on how you learn in class. for anatomy, no one uses a laptop. they provide handouts and you bring colored pencils and that's how the first couple of months goes. for CMBMP, all the profs use powerpoint so most people start bringing computers to class to take notes directly in the ppt document. there are a few who print out the presentations so they can take notes on a hard copy (this gets very pricey, especially with those 110 slide lectures). even fewer people take notes on plain notebook paper. (and even fewer just don't come to class. :smuggrin: ) i take my laptop everywhere with me and i couldn't imagine not having it. also, for PBL some choose to use their laptops, others don't. i, personally, would recommend getting a laptop over a desktop but i know people who don't even have a computer and get by.

if you do decide to buy a laptop, definitely look around. many of the kids who participated in the laptop program really didn't like it. you should be able to find a laptop with similar specs for close to the same price as the "deal" PSU offers. (the tech support offered by penn state is pretty atrocious from what i've heard.)

Nope. But I did hear from Buffalo, did anyone turn down Buffalo for Penn State? I'm pretty sure I'm going to, but I wonder if I'm crazy....

i don't know about you guys, but the day i quit my job in a couple of months for psu will be a very happy one.

can we set up wireless internet in the campus apts?

Someone in housing might be able to clear this up-- for last year some apts had on-campus networking-- so no allowed mods to their network. Other apts had Comcast high speed... so clearly you can install a router if you want. I don't know whether they're planning on going towards the campus network or towards the Comcast side of things for the renovations...

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I live off campus. I figured I'd give you some insight, though, regarding Comcast vs intranet so you can probably just find out for yourself from the housing office (assuming they know!).

So I just received my lease agreement and roommate assignment in the mail. How are people dealing with this random roommate assignment? Are you getting to know them by phone/email and THEN signing the lease if you feel like you can live with that person, or just going into it without worrying abt whether or not you can get along. Just curious what everyone else is doing..

Not related to Penn State, but you should all check out www.mlbroadtrip2007.com, my buddies are going on a 22,000 mile road trip throughout the country to visit all 30 MLB stadiums within 80 days to raise money for various charities. Check out June 3/4 blog it mentions PSU.

I haven't received my housing assignment yet :(

Has anyone's T.H.E. loan been finalized?

When are we supposed to take care of the loans? Reecie is doing it now. I've also heard we can wait till orientation to do it. I've been fortunate enough to not need loans in undergrad so I'm clueless about this stuff. Will someone be my online financial advisor :laugh:

When are we supposed to take care of the loans? Reecie is doing it now. I've also heard we can wait till orientation to do it. I've been fortunate enough to not need loans in undergrad so I'm clueless about this stuff. Will someone be my online financial advisor :laugh:

If you went with T.H.E. for your loans (and I think all the others as well), you were just supposed to fill out an online application and sign online as well. However, for university loans, I think we will sign the necessary forms during orientation.

hi guys,

I can't wait to meet you all in august!!:D

Does anyone know when we'd be receiving info such as our student id/account...etc?

For those of you who are familiar with Hershey...does it snow much? (i heard this past winter had been pretty radical, but what about previous years?)

I spoke with finaid, they said after you fill out the promissary note, there is nothing to do loan-wise until we get there.

I also called student affairs and they said that the orientation schedule will be up on the website at the end of june, beginning of july. My dad wanted me to check to see if there was other family stuff other than the white coat ceremony, and there isn't.

I think one of the papers they sent us had the student id on it, but i'm sure we'll get it when we get there.

I just got an email from the Admissions office saying that they have not yet received my transcript from Princeton University :confused: I never went to Princeton. So if any of you did, then they may not have your transcript. :)

Yeah... I got an email saying they never received my undergraduate transcript even though I sent it a month ago. Hmm... the mail must be pretttttty slow getting out to Hershey! They said to call back with issues about these transcipt emails tomorrow after 8am... I imagine a lot of people must have called because the lady I spoke with seemed to have a scripted answer to my problem lol

I just received my on-campus housing package today!! yay~

Yeah... I got an email saying they never received my undergraduate transcript even though I sent it a month ago. Hmm... the mail must be pretttttty slow getting out to Hershey! They said to call back with issues about these transcipt emails tomorrow after 8am... I imagine a lot of people must have called because the lady I spoke with seemed to have a scripted answer to my problem lol

My favorite part of the e-mail was:

"Submission of the final official transcript is a condition of matriculation. If we do not receive confirmation by Friday, July 13, 2007 that your transcript has been requested and is being sent, we will be forced to terminate your acceptance and withdraw you from the class."

I'd say that probably put the fear of god in everyone who flooded the admissions office with calls yesterday. That would be a fun conversation with the parents explaining that after getting into medical school your application was "terminated" because you didn't send a transcript.

Hey guys. I just wanted to congratulate all of you accepted to Penn State. I am going to be a 2nd year in the Fall. If any of you have a question let me know. Make sure to enjoy your summer.

hi guys,

I can't wait to meet you all in august!!:D

Does anyone know when we'd be receiving info such as our student id/account...etc?

For those of you who are familiar with Hershey...does it snow much? (i heard this past winter had been pretty radical, but what about previous years?)

During welcome week you will get your picture taken and receive your student ID. Also during welcome week you get your laptop if you ordered one through the school. These laptops have many problems!! You will also set up an account (actually 2 separate accounts) during welcome week.

I have been in Hershey for about 1 year now. Last winter I got snowed in twice at Briarcrest. On one occasion we had a snow day so we didn't have to go to school. It didn't snow that much last winter. Also the snow sucks here for snowboarding. I hope this helps.