PCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How strict is PCOM about getting in the medical questionnaire in before classes?

Currently under my parents' health insurance, which has a huge deductible (so I'd be paying for the physical, TB test, and all of the titers out-of-pocket). Thinking about enrolling in the health insurance offered by PCOM and then doing the physical once I get to school. Have other students done this? Encountered any problems?

Members don't see this ad.

What's up good people? I would have got involved awhile ago, but i keep losing my password. I will be attending this fall too!! I just got back from Philly and paid my deposit for a one bedroom at Lincoln Green. It is $1011/month, but right across the street, so you can walk, that's saving on gas and parking.

So the funds in my checking account are sortof drying up with having to pay the first two months of Imperial Apartments rent as deposit, having already budgeted this into the loans I applied for. I'm just curious if anyone has any solid idea on when to expect the refunds from the loans in my checking account?

I already filled out the direct deposit form months ago.

I did call about this and the lady told me 8th of August, but earlier when i called I was informed sometime in July. I suppose this would be a question better posed to class of 2014, but thought I'd give it a shot here first...

Members don't see this ad :)
So the funds in my checking account are sortof drying up with having to pay the first two months of Imperial Apartments rent as deposit, having already budgeted this into the loans I applied for. I'm just curious if anyone has any solid idea on when to expect the refunds from the loans in my checking account?

I did call about this and the lady told me 8th of August, but earlier when i called I was informed sometime in July. I suppose this would be a question better posed to class of 2014, but thought I'd give it a shot here first...

Usually comes first week or so of August. 8th is definitely more correct than late July. I didn't get mine until Orientation had already started last year.

Could any previous first year students please list off books that were required and actually used to do well in the first semester of classes. I know a book list is coming out soon, but I'm all to familiar with classes requiring a text book that will never be used or tested on. And the money wasted on books that were never helpful.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Could any previous first year students please list off books that were required and actually used to do well in the first semester of classes. I know a book list is coming out soon, but I'm all to familiar with classes requiring a text book that will never be used or tested on. And the money wasted on books that were never helpful.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Netter's Anatomy, and BRS Anatomy for your first trimester. That's it.

I asked PCOM about this a month ago, was told we'd get first payment on Aug. 8th. Nice if they made that known to all.

When I looked up Netter's...there's a thousand listings. Which one? Flashcards?

Any netters Atlas of Human Anatomy. 4th edition, 5th edition, whatever. You won't go wrong with any of them! I bought an old 4th edition off of a friend of mine when I took it and it was just fine. The flash cards, I bought them too, but NEVER used them.

Really what Rollo said is what you only need. Your notes will supply the rest! And definately NO histology. There will be CDs going around with the histology you will need to know and get an A with.

Any netters Atlas of Human Anatomy. 4th edition, 5th edition, whatever. You won't go wrong with any of them! I bought an old 4th edition off of a friend of mine when I took it and it was just fine. The flash cards, I bought them too, but NEVER used them.

Really what Rollo said is what you only need. Your notes will supply the rest! And definately NO histology. There will be CDs going around with the histology you will need to know and get an A with.

Nothing else for embryo?

Nothing else for embryo?

Embryo is a disaster to learn. Kvist does his best but I thought it was taught very poorly. Maybe pick up High-Yield Embryo since it's a short book if you want SOME understanding of it.

Otherwise, just cram for it and look at back tests because most of his questions repeat from back tests.

Nothing else for embryo?

Embryo is right out of his notes, and he reuses questions. A lot of memorizing factoids, and I didn't think it was easy, but all the info that I used was from his notes. And if for some reason you felt you wanted to go into more depth, the books are online anyway. I am just one student though, but I didn't know anyone who really benefited from books other than Netters and BRS.

Don't sweat it too much! I promise it will sort it out on its own.

Hey Guys! Recently squeeked in off of the waitlist! Looking forward to going through hell with all of you!

Hey Guys! Recently squeeked in off of the waitlist! Looking forward to going through hell with all of you!

Grats man!! :) I was pulled off the wait list at the end of June. It's been a wild ride trying to make deadlines. PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to help.

Orientation is less than a week away and I still don't feel prepared. I've had little time to peruse all the information accessible through nucleus and was wondering if there's another thread or communication tool people are using to talk about their preparations?

Just trying to get more student-side information. Thanks! =)

Oh wow there's a huge PCOM 2015 group on fb that I missed my first time searching.

Thanks Andy!