PCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TallScrubs

Coude Rockin' Everywhere
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those who have been accepted to PCOM and either plan on attending or are leaning strongly that way.

I look forward to meeting all of you

Here is some information that is relevant to us (PM me if you have more to add):

Housing Options:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=717678&highlight=PCOM+housing
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=388633&highlight=PCOM+housing
http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/Student_Affairs_Main/Housing_Page.html (contains links to apartments near PCOM)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am so excited to me all of you...I mean all one of ME. Lets get some action going on in this bad boy.

Yay! I got into PCOM! Literally I had my interview on a Monday and received an acceptance by Friday! It was sweet.

Where are you guys planning to live? I've visited the area a dozen times and am still unsure where to live. Any suggestions are VERY APPRECIATED!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any good/recommended places in East Falls to live?

Does anybody know where could I get a cheap two bedroom apartment, that is in between PCOM and Temple?

I live in Roxborough (border of East Falls). It's mostly 2 bedroom row homes and I keep seeing "for rent" all over the place. Our rent is affordable ($975) and we get a garage and plenty of extra parking. PM me if you want street names and such.
We found our place via Craigslist a couple of years ago.

Yay! I got into PCOM! Literally I had my interview on a Monday and received an acceptance by Friday! It was sweet.

Where are you guys planning to live? I've visited the area a dozen times and am still unsure where to live. Any suggestions are VERY APPRECIATED!!! :D

Congrats!

If you like to party look around Manayunk. If you want something more quiet I'd recommend Roxborough/East Falls around Philadelphia University. The 'other side' (around City Avenue/Rt.1 where PCOM is located) can begin to get iffy, but I'm sure there are decent places there as well. I just like the Manayunk/Roxborough area, safe and plenty of 'fun'. :D

Congrats!

If you like to party look around Manayunk. If you want something more quiet I'd recommend Roxborough/East Falls around Philadelphia University. The 'other side' (around City Avenue/Rt.1 where PCOM is located) can begin to get iffy, but I'm sure there are decent places there as well. I just like the Manayunk/Roxborough area, safe and plenty of 'fun'. :D

My girlfriend and I are currently looking for an apartment around this area. However, she wants to live on the Manayunk side of the Schuylkill but I want to live on the City Ave. side. Do you think the commute, albeit short, from Manayunk to PCOM is going to be a pain in the ass? I'm familiar enough with the area to know that it is all one huge clusterf*ck.

My girlfriend and I are currently looking for an apartment around this area. However, she wants to live on the Manayunk side of the Schuylkill but I want to live on the City Ave. side. Do you think the commute, albeit short, from Manayunk to PCOM is going to be a pain in the ass? I'm familiar enough with the area to know that it is all one huge clusterf*ck.

Right now, honestly it's TERRIBLE because of all the construction (Ridge overpass, Lincoln drive bridge, etc.) but that's not going to last for much longer I don't think, they are almost done. Before the construction it would take me 5-10 mins to get to the other side of the Schuylkil (at least to that Target that's on City Ave).
Are you guys bringing car(s)? Driving the hills in Manayunk in the winter is kind of a pain and parking is tough on a good day (terrible if there's snow). So that's something to consider. But there's always public transport if you don't feel like driving. In that sense, staying on the Roxborough side (top of Ridge Ave) might be better than being closer to Main Street. There are a lot of options on this side, whichever you'd prefer.
I don't know anything about the places on the City side, though I know a few students live in the big apartment buildings (Presidential, etc.).
Personally, I prefer the row home situation to the big apartment building thing. And having the park/trails practically in our backyard is great in the summer.

Right now, honestly it's TERRIBLE because of all the construction (Ridge overpass, Lincoln drive bridge, etc.) but that's not going to last for much longer I don't think, they are almost done. Before the construction it would take me 5-10 mins to get to the other side of the Schuylkil (at least to that Target that's on City Ave).
Are you guys bringing car(s)? Driving the hills in Manayunk in the winter is kind of a pain and parking is tough on a good day (terrible if there's snow). So that's something to consider. But there's always public transport if you don't feel like driving. In that sense, staying on the Roxborough side (top of Ridge Ave) might be better than being closer to Main Street. There are a lot of options on this side, whichever you'd prefer.
I don't know anything about the places on the City side, though I know a few students live in the big apartment buildings (Presidential, etc.).
Personally, I prefer the row home situation to the big apartment building thing. And having the park/trails practically in our backyard is great in the summer.

We are both going to have our cars with us. My girlfriend is going to have to commute towards Abington. Her car is 2WD and, of course, my subaru is bangin in the snow and I'm one of a few people who actually know how/like driving in the snow but constantly looking for parking would suck.

We are both going to have our cars with us. My girlfriend is going to have to commute towards Abington. Her car is 2WD and, of course, my subaru is bangin in the snow and I'm one of a few people who actually know how/like driving in the snow but constantly looking for parking would suck.

if you do choose Manayunk, just make sure to ask about the parking situation. When my husband and I were looking for a place around here we looked at a couple of places close to Main Street Manayunk and we ended up getting stuck behind a garbage truck for so long and then couldn't find any parking so we just gave up before we even saw the place. So I'm jaded. Good luck. If you want any recommendations in Roxborough, let me know. :D I can send some numbers from our neighborhood your way.

I received my acceptance letter yesterday and I'm definitely attending PCOM. I'm very excited and glad to be done with the process already! I really look forward to talking / meeting you guys!

Thanks for the housing advise everyone!

When do you think is a good time to secure an apartment? I feel like its a little early right now.. but I'm not familiar with how things work in Philly.

I've been living here for the last couple of years and notice there's a pretty high turnover. (Lots of schools, so lots of students moving about). We moved in in pretty quickly (started looking in the end of May/beginning of June and moved in early July).
We also kept an eye on Craigslist, seems thats where most rowhome/duplex owners post their rental properties so you might want to give yourself some time to sort through the postings. I'd look into what area you want to move to soonish but don't worry about actually getting a place till later. There are a lot of options around PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats Iberg! Thats reassuring. I'll keep that in mind.

I can't wait until August!

I received my acceptance letter yesterday and I'm definitely attending PCOM. I'm very excited and glad to be done with the process already! I really look forward to talking / meeting you guys!
Me too! When did you interview?

AH lucky. You had a much shorter wait then I did. I kept thinking that PCOM was overestimating the decision date (AZCOM told me 3 weeks, but I heard back in 3 days!). In the end, it worked out well as I got my # 1 school!

AH lucky. You had a much shorter wait then I did. I kept thinking that PCOM was overestimating the decision date (AZCOM told me 3 weeks, but I heard back in 3 days!). In the end, it worked out well as I got my # 1 school!

Well congratulations then! I just canceled my AZCOM interview, I don't think PBL is for me and I'm very happy and fortunate to be able to choose!

I don't think AZCOM has a PBL curriculum. They have a few small group things that they do, but it's mainly didactic. The campus there is beautiful though! However, PCOM has a great reputation & much closer to home, and my sister's at Temple Pharmacy... So, of course, it's a better choice for me!

Are you definitely attending PCOM?

I don't think AZCOM has a PBL curriculum. They have a few small group things that they do, but it's mainly didactic. The campus there is beautiful though! However, PCOM has a great reputation & much closer to home, and my sister's at Temple Pharmacy... So, of course, it's a better choice for me!

Are you definitely attending PCOM?

As of right now yes bc it's the only school I've gotten into! But the only school that may compete is MSUCOM bc it's in state for me and my sister is in her second year there.

msucom v pcom – that'd be one tough choice to make! good luck!

Just got my acceptance today 12/24 (best Christmas present)
Interviewed 12/15!!!!

Hello, accepted to the class of 2015, was wondering if there are any commuters who are driving from the direction of lancaster? (West side of philie) Like the place I live in lancaster and was curious if anyone was commuting out of the west side of philly (Coates ville, lancaster, york) that wanted to carpool? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone received their packet of information yet?

Has anyone received their packet of information yet?

No, but I was reading their financial aid material on the website which has been updated recently and it said that the binders should be here before the end of january.

For anyone wondering, Beekman Place Apartments lady told us that there is usually a waitlist for apartments by early February. Do NOT wait to get an apartment, all I'm sayin'.

I am from Chicago and will definitely need to find roommates in Philly. Does anyone have any idea when we will get the binders from PCOM? Is there some sort of site where other people that need roommates can connect? After hearing about a waiting list for apartments, I am getting a little nervous.

If you don't mind a short drive/bus ride there is plenty of housing around PCOM, so I wouldn't stress too much if the nearby apartment buildings are filling up.
Still no binder here though. Come on, PCOM! Start sending stuff out!

I think Nucleus is the site where we can connect to find roommates...once we can get on it. I've taken a look at Beekman and Imperial and I like what I see on the internet, just gotta get off my butt and drive over to look at the places. I will def be looking for a roommate also

Looking at the Website for PCOM admissions requirements, I noticed that they require 1 English composition course and 1 English Literature course. How strictly is that enforced? I have only taken 2 English Comp courses and have not taken any Literature courses. Has anyone been accepted with PCOM "bending the rules" regarding the Literature requirement? All responses very much appreciated, as this information is crucial for me to know in deciding if I should proceed with my application to the school. Thanks!

I only took the English classes that were required of me in college and I'm sure they were English comp courses

For those wondering, I got my binder today....what what PCOM email address!

Got mine too.

Did you guys star/finish FAFSA already?

Yeah. I filled it out with preliminary tax return info since mine won't be returned for a few weeks.

I just got my letter of acceptance :)

Hello Everyone,
I just joined SDN. I have been researching apartment information and saw this post. I was also accepted into PCOM and have already decided that is definitely where I am going. I also just received my binder over the weekend! I look forward to meeting all of you and keeping in touch through this.

Hi Class of 2015! Congrats on your acceptance to PCOM. I am a current 2nd year here at PCOM.

I live in a house right down the street (N 46th Street) with 2 other people. My roommates are moving out next year, one because she is doing 3rd and 4th year rotations all in Pittsburgh, and the other one because she is in a 5 year program and wants to move closer to Temple where she is spending all of next year taking classes. Anyway, my point: I 2 need roommates.

About the house:
The house is super gorgeous. It is a row house on the end of the row right off of Belmont. Literally I woke up one day at 7:42 on accident, and I was dressed, ready, parked at school, and in my seat by 7:58. That's how close it is. Soooo convenient and it's been great during second year and is going to be awesome with boards studying. The landlords are totally awesome. They come over every so often if we are on breaks to check up on things. They only live like 4 streets away, so if we need them, forgot a key, etc, they can be there right away. But they aren't overbearing, by any means. Ok so there is a garage, finished basement with bathroom, laundry room, then the first floor has a big living area, big dining room, and the kitchen is all newly redone. There are 3 bedrooms and a gorgeous bathroom on the second floor. Two of the bedrooms (one which is mine) have 2 closets each and are a great size. The third is a little smaller, BUT there is a whole 4th floor that we have let the person with the small bedroom use. One of the rooms upstairs she uses as her study. Has a couch, desk, etc. It's like her little study. There is also another bathroom up on that floor that she uses as well. And then there is another room up there that we use for guests and for storage. There is so much space that we don't really know what to do with. It's so close to Manayunk, too. So if we ever go out, we get cabs for like $11. I love it, and I really don't want to leave. The rent per person is $600 without utilities. Ends up being about $700. It's awesome for what we are getting. If you are interested, email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

Thanks!!!!

Is this too late in the game?!!!! I applied Jan 18th!!! and got an invite two days ago. I am wondering if anyone knows what much chances of getting are? Statistically, it is 57% however, how many have already been accepted?! Is March17th the last interview date!?! Should I be hopeful!?

Is this too late in the game?!!!! I applied Jan 18th!!! and got an invite two days ago. I am wondering if anyone knows what much chances of getting are? Statistically, it is 57% however, how many have already been accepted?! Is March17th the last interview date!?! Should I be hopeful!?

i think you may find better answers in the pre-med section. it's definitely not to late.

Does anyone know how traffic is around PCOM after 4:00 (around the time our classes would be over). If your heading towards Roxborough?

Does anyone know how traffic is around PCOM after 4:00 (around the time our classes would be over). If your heading towards Roxborough?

Pretty bad. I'd say tack on 15-20 minutes MORE on top of whatever it would normally take.

Thanks~

That is not something ill be anticipating hah.

Hey Everyone,
I have been starting to do some preliminary research of housing options online. I intend to visit the area in the spring time to look. I am not familiar with Philadelphia at all though. I know that there are different areas (Roxborough, Manyunk, Wynnewood, Center City, etc...) Does anyone who lives there now know if there is a difference in the areas in terms of one being safer than another.
Thanks for your help!

Hey Everyone,
I have been starting to do some preliminary research of housing options online. I intend to visit the area in the spring time to look. I am not familiar with Philadelphia at all though. I know that there are different areas (Roxborough, Manyunk, Wynnewood, Center City, etc...) Does anyone who lives there now know if there is a difference in the areas in terms of one being safer than another.
Thanks for your help!

i second that. help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for your help!

I'm in the same boat. I think I'll be heading out there to look around in the spring, but I'd like as much information as I can get before I lock myself into a lease.

Thanks!