PCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Area around school (city ave, wynnewood, manayunk, roxborough) are pretty safe. Things that are different between these is really how expensive they are relative to each other. For example, in Manayunk you will be able to find a nice big house that can have 3-4 people easily for cheap (I'm talking ~$500/month per person) where as in area around school, you won't find lot of houses for rent, mostly apartments. And these apartments can run anywhere from $600-$800 per person even if you get a 2 or 3 bedroom.

Now, center city. That's a whole different story. I'm not too familiar with individual neighborhoods but I know you can find good houses for rent in Art Museum area but expect to pay a little bit more. Actually, expect to pay a little bit more in center city....sometimes a LOT more depending on where you want to live.

Your best bet is to look for housing around manayunk/roxborough/east falls area if you want something reasonably priced, safety, and close proximity to school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,
I have been starting to do some preliminary research of housing options online. I intend to visit the area in the spring time to look. I am not familiar with Philadelphia at all though. I know that there are different areas (Roxborough, Manyunk, Wynnewood, Center City, etc...) Does anyone who lives there now know if there is a difference in the areas in terms of one being safer than another.
Thanks for your help!

I would also love it if people familiar to the area could help us out of stater's out. I know that every city has its unsafe and undesirable neighborhoods, and I definitely don't want to end up in one of them. Any idea when we should be securing apartment leases?

Area around school (city ave, wynnewood, manayunk, roxborough) are pretty safe. Things that are different between these is really how expensive they are relative to each other. For example, in Manayunk you will be able to find a nice big house that can have 3-4 people easily for cheap (I'm talking ~$500/month per person) where as in area around school, you won't find lot of houses for rent, mostly apartments. And these apartments can run anywhere from $600-$800 per person even if you get a 2 or 3 bedroom.

Now, center city. That's a whole different story. I'm not too familiar with individual neighborhoods but I know you can find good houses for rent in Art Museum area but expect to pay a little bit more. Actually, expect to pay a little bit more in center city....sometimes a LOT more depending on where you want to live.

Your best bet is to look for housing around manayunk/roxborough/east falls area if you want something reasonably priced, safety, and close proximity to school.

Thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the help :)

I would also love it if people familiar to the area could help us out of stater's out. I know that every city has its unsafe and undesirable neighborhoods, and I definitely don't want to end up in one of them. Any idea when we should be securing apartment leases?

Since you aren't familiar with Philly, I'd suggest you look for a place near school in neighborhoods like Bryn Mawr, Manayunk, Roxborough, East Falls, and around City Ave (I'm talking 10-15 minute drive to campus).

Avoid Germantown, North Philly, Girard Ave area, University City. Those places are far from campus so you shouldn't be looking there anyway.

You should probably find a place and sign a lease by no later than mid to end June if you're going to move in Aug 1.

Since you aren't familiar with Philly, I'd suggest you look for a place near school in neighborhoods like Bryn Mawr, Manayunk, Roxborough, East Falls, and around City Ave (I'm talking 10-15 minute drive to campus).

Avoid Germantown, North Philly, Girard Ave area, University City. Those places are far from campus so you shouldn't be looking there anyway.

You should probably find a place and sign a lease by no later than mid to end June if you're going to move in Aug 1.

Thanks so much for the wise words- I just know that there is nothing like an insider to let you know the truth about a city and where to live. Would you say that it is pretty necessary to have a car in the city? I live in Chicago now and get around on public transit just fine, but I am not sure how efficient the buses/trains are there. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the wise words- I just know that there is nothing like an insider to let you know the truth about a city and where to live. Would you say that it is pretty necessary to have a car in the city? I live in Chicago now and get around on public transit just fine, but I am not sure how efficient the buses/trains are there. Thanks!

Not very efficient at all!

If you decide to live close to campus, you might be fine without owning a car for the first 2 years.

However for last 2 years, you will absolutely need a car.

Personally, I think you should get a car seeing how you are gonna be very far from home and you probably will want to check out the area during your free time. But see how first few months go without a car and then decide if you're gonna stick out the first 2 years with or without a car.

Congrats to all the class of 2015!!

I'm currently a fourth year at PCOM and i'm on my way out the door!! WOOHOO

I just matched into residency in philly and looking to move into an Art Museum area apartment complex... if anyone is looking for housing (2br/2ba) private message me!

I already have a place in mind and is 10 min drive (even with traffic) from PCOM.

For those of you who have received your binders already, how long did it take to get those in the mail after you sent in your deposit?
Thanks!

roughly three months. yours should arrive before that, however.

Not very efficient at all!

If you decide to live close to campus, you might be fine without owning a car for the first 2 years.

However for last 2 years, you will absolutely need a car.

Personally, I think you should get a car seeing how you are gonna be very far from home and you probably will want to check out the area during your free time. But see how first few months go without a car and then decide if you're gonna stick out the first 2 years with or without a car.

Thanks so much for the advice, yet again. I think I will take your advice to try it for a couple of months first without a car and see if it is doable and then go from there. I hear that the parking and traffic in Philly is even worse than Chicago, which is not helping influence my decision to get a car at all. Would you say that most people who live 10 or more min away from school drive to and from school?

Thanks so much for the advice, yet again. I think I will take your advice to try it for a couple of months first without a car and see if it is doable and then go from there. I hear that the parking and traffic in Philly is even worse than Chicago, which is not helping influence my decision to get a car at all. Would you say that most people who live 10 or more min away from school drive to and from school?

Really depends where you live. I know good amount of people do walk to school if they live 10 mins walking distance from school.

Yeah, Philly drivers, traffic, and parking are pretty bad. But like I said before, public transit isn't very efficient so you won't really have a choice in your 3rd and 4th years. The good news there is that you can do almost all of your rotations outside of Philly in rural locations. But again, how will you get to those sites?

Get a place 10-15 mins walking distance from campus, make friends with people who have cars (almost everyone), and drive around with them checking out Philly traffic and see if you want to get a car now or wait until 3rd year.

is anyone else looking for a roommate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am! I just talked to a second year who, along with his two roommates, are leaving a house near PCOM. At this point, I have dibs on it and am looking for two roommates. I believe he said rent was 1275/month. I'm pretty sure that is for the whole house. It is three bedrooms and one bath

I am debating whether or not I want a roommate or to try and live alone. Could I save a lot of money by having a roomate? I have been researching online and studio/1 bedroom apartments are affordable, and I would essentially pay the same amount as if I had a 2 Br apartment with a roomate, but I am not sure how this differs from renting a house with someone. Thanks for the advice.

I know that places like Beekman are super expensive for rent (~1100) for a one bedroom. I don't think it would be bad to have roomates--I've had at least two thru all of ugrad. It might be helpful to have other people to bounce questions off of

I am! I just talked to a second year who, along with his two roommates, are leaving a house near PCOM. At this point, I have dibs on it and am looking for two roommates. I believe he said rent was 1275/month. I'm pretty sure that is for the whole house. It is three bedrooms and one bath

I might be interested, can you tell me more? :)

Letter grades, except for couple pass/fail courses every now and then.

Recently got accepted, super thrilled as it PCOM is my top choice!

Question: Would I be better off looking on craigslist for housing or should I wait to get my binder to connect with fellow PCOM students? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! FYI, I have a black lab, so I was slightly leaning more towards being in a house than an apartment. Thanks!!

Hey!!

I'm a DO student in PCOM's class of 2015 and am also looking for pet friendly houses/ apartments (preferably in walking distance to PCOM). I have a dog (miniature schnauzer) who actually loves labs!! if you're looking for a roommate let me know and we can chat at the accepted students luncheon in april :)

Just got my acceptance letter today!!!

Just got my acceptance letter....currently looking for housing. I heard Manayunk was pretty cool. Does anybody know more about it?

Just got my acceptance letter....currently looking for housing. I heard Manayunk was pretty cool. Does anybody know more about it?

Cool area. Lots of traffic en route to PCOM; no parking; terrible in das winter. Cool area.

are you guys all going to the accepted student brunch?

if yes, we should all meet up somewhere :)

When did you interview?

Hi Guys,

Congratulations on your acceptance! You'll love PCOM, I promise.

I'm currently a first year DO student and have a room open in my house. It's a bit further away than most of what you're looking for--over on the NJ side, a 12-20 minute commute depending on the time of day. If you're moving to the area a little earlier than others, I think you'd like my place!

Anyway, here's the CraigsList ad...let me know if you're interested..

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/roo/2313912730.html

Congrats again!

Hi 2015, Congrats!

I am currently a second year DO student at PCOM and I will be moving out at the end of this year to do my rotations at Geisinger Medical Center. I absolutely love my apartment and it will be available mid July or August 1st, potentially earlier. Its a 2 BR/ 1 BR + office (the 2 bedrooms are the same size but the one I use for an office doesn't have a closet), for $830/ month, the price of a studio! Its a lower level apartment (partially street level, partially underground), but it gets a lot of natural light, stays cool in the summer (I didn't ever have to turn on the AC) and is very private (you have your own private entrance). It has a galley kitchen with a counter that overlooks the living room. Its perfect for one person or a couple on a budget. The best thing about this place, though, is the location. Its on the main street of Narberth, one block from the R5 train and all the adorable shops, pubs and restaurants this little town has to offer. Narberth is situated right between City Ave/ PCOM and Ardmore, so both are accessible in under 10 minutes. The commute is quicker than living in Manayunk and never has traffic :) You get off street parking in the parking lot. I cannot say enough good things about this place....it literally made my life as a med student more pleasant. If you are interested, email me at [email protected] and I will send you pictures. You are welcome to come see the apartment and I can refer you to the management! Hope to hear from you soon.

hey everyone,

I just got my acceptance today

I am pumped....cant wait to start and tear it up :)

congrats to everyone

hey, does anyone have the link to the PCOM portal where you check the status of your app because I sent in my deposit and the admin. rep said to check that website to see if they have received it..and i lost the site :(

hey, does anyone have the link to the PCOM portal where you check the status of your app because I sent in my deposit and the admin. rep said to check that website to see if they have received it..and i lost the site :(

Should be nucleus.pcom.edu.

Hey,
I just got accepted to pcom and am eager to start studying ahead (I know, I know, its pointless right ?) I was wondering if anyone here from pcom could tell me the name of the texts used for biochem and anatomy? I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Hey,
I just got accepted to pcom and am eager to start studying ahead (I know, I know, its pointless right ?) I was wondering if anyone here from pcom could tell me the name of the texts used for biochem and anatomy? I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

You can find the Fall 2010 booklist on Nucleus :) Let me know if you don't have access to it yet.

Forget anatomy and biochem.

Pick up Robbins and Harrisons and get cracking!

P.S. Being slightly sarcastic. Don't buy recommended textbooks because you will have 0 time to read them or to even open them. Buy Netter's Anatomy, BRS Anatomy, and Lippincott's Biochemistry instead.

P.S. Being slightly sarcastic. Don't buy recommended textbooks because you will have 0 time to read them or to even open them. Buy Netter's Anatomy, BRS Anatomy, and Lippincott's Biochemistry instead.

Even better suggestion....but don't waste your summer!

You can't pre-study anatomy without having a copy of their notes and tag sheets. You'll have plenty of time to study, just sit back and enjoy the time.

Hey,

thanks

you wont remember jack****, just enjoy your time, this the best time of your life, plenty of studying to come ahead, trust me.

does anyone have an academic calendar they'd like to share??? please and thank you!!

you wont remember jack****, just enjoy your time, this the best time of your life, plenty of studying to come ahead, trust me.

Agreed...if you are really neurotic get something basic like the anatomy coloring book. It gets you used to some of the terms / language of anatomy. I actually had to use it for a random college class right before med school and for some reason, some of it stuck with me. Whether or not you read anything before, anatomy is tough just based on the fact that you are just getting used to what it is like to be in med school.

Does anyone know where the 2010 textbook list is on Nucleus?? Thanks!

currently live in south philly but looking to move closer to school WOOO!

anyone looking for roommates?

manayunk/roxborough, east falls, west philly, wherever you are interested i like all of these areas.

male here, but dont care what you bring to the table i get along with anyone

Just received the big binder with all the necessary information for the first year, including the date for our White Coat Ceremony, October 2nd. Is this correct? and if so why? I feel that by October I'll be so ingrained in school work I won't be able to fully appreciate the event with close friends and family.

On average how much money do students typically get out in personal loans?

On average how much money do students typically get out in personal loans?

Really depends on your financial situation (i.e. money saved over, parents helping you, your wife/husband works) and how much your budget is. I know some students who have families to support and take out the full amount and then some. On the other hand, I also know some single students who take out extra money because they "don't want to live like a poor student".

You got to sit down, calculate your living expenses and don't go by the amount PCOM may give you for living expenses. Figure out how much you will actually pay in rent, food, gas, etc. and then think about how much "spending" money you will NEED, not WANT.

Half of the strategy in not incurring too much debt is to be frugal and smart with money.

Thanks for the response!
Do you know what the upper limit is ? Not that I am planning on getting out a large amount .. I am just curious.