PCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am excited to be attending PCOM in the fall!!!! Got my acceptance after a long hard days work in the ICU... so i've seen the word "binder" tossed around a few times... what does this "binder" contain?

From here: http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/Student_Affairs_Main/New_Students.html

We will begin mailing binders to you full of information about financial aid, housing, course schedules, and more. You can expect you binder about 8 weeks after your initial deposit is received. Until then, this part of our website is designed to anticipate questions or concerns you may have as you begin to plan your new life at PCOM.

So that means I probably won't get mine till May since I was accepted only last week.

Can anyone who has the binder now verify how much of the information in the binder is similar to the information on the page I linked above?

Obviously, I'm not going to wait until May to start looking for housing and planning financial aid.

Members don't see this ad.

April 15th from everything I heard
Nevinleiby's right. I'm looking at the letter right now

It's going to be close, but I think I should be able to send a check by the 12th! I'm very excited/nervous about the whole thing :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap, are you Taus of the Taus Study Method!?!?!? Legend has it that Taus is from PCOM...I heard people all over the world study for the USLME/COMLEX step 1 using your technique. I want to be you Taus! just kidding hahah. seriously though, I would like to be you

I didn't know you were still in school! That's so cool. Are you going to be at the new student luncheon??

Haha.... I think I might have just blushed a little there...jk. It is pretty crazy to see how many people have used that thing I put together though.
PS

Congrats on matching Taus!!!

Thanks a lot....tomorrow is the big day to find out where I'll be.

Last edited:
Haha.... I think I might have just blushed a little there...jk. It is pretty crazy to see how many people have used that thing I put together though. I actually gave a little presentation to the 2nd years re board prep a few weeks ago that was centered around that plan. The powerpoint from it should still be available if people from the school want to use it in the future.

Thanks a lot....tomorrow is the big day to find out where I'll be.

It's tomorrow! Which program are you heading to?!!?

You still didn't answer my question, X. :(

Oh sorry man I was laughing at the fact you stipulated every reason to go to the brunch except to meet classmates you HAVEN'T met before! :p
Hey I'm going tonight to sit in on Dr. Zhang's presentation, btw, come on by for the 4pm in Ginsberg if it's conveniant.

From here: http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/Student_Affairs_Main/New_Students.html

So that means I probably won't get mine till May since I was accepted only last week.

Can anyone who has the binder now verify how much of the information in the binder is similar to the information on the page I linked above?

Obviously, I'm not going to wait until May to start looking for housing and planning financial aid.

You can go pick it up at Student Activities if you live close by, or maybe call them and ask for your banner ID # and email address, so you can get the forms you need for health history, etc. etc.

Email question... anyone know how to get rid of the priority as the first line in the e-mail messages sent out? Also, is there a way to not include the confidentiality clause at the end of the email?

forward everything to your gmail, and then reply via gmail. That's the only way I could figure out how to do that (saves you from checking another email address too)

Last edited:
Hi! I have an interview at PCOM in 2 weeks and I'm ridiculously nervous because I've heard that applicants this late in the game are wait-listed. What are your views?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have an interview at PCOM in 2 weeks and I'm ridiculously nervous because I've heard that applicants this late in the game are wait-listed. What are your views?

Try to keep present and not think about potential rejection too much.
Focus, rather, on the strengths of your application, and how you've learned and integrated your weaknesses, or plan to.
I think it still holds true that if you were invited, they feel you're capable of being a student at PCOM. They want to meet the person behind the application to make sure, though. Waitlisting isn't an outright rejection, and from what I've heard - but I know very little about it so why am I even commenting - many people move from waitlist to enrolled, eventually.
I have a feeling a group of those accepted won't put down the $2000 to firm things up, and seats will open. I know there's a lot of anxious students out there watching this thread and I thought I'd throw some words of encouragement your way. Admissions is down-to-earth and approachable in my experience, take that for what it's worth.

There are definitely seats available. And keep in mind that many of the accepted students will not have paid their deposit which is due Apr 15 simply because they forgot to withdraw or are waiting on news from other schools (and Philly alone has 4 other med schools besides PCOM).

Also, this is a GREAT time to NAIL that interview! Give it your all when you go in that day!

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your encouragement and support as I hope to be joining the class of 2013 very soon! :)

Another space is opening up at PCOM. All the best! :love:

Hey guys! I was wondering if any females are looking for a roommate. I will be attending PCOM's Biomedical Science program this fall and am considering finding a roommate (although I'm not closed to living alone). I'm hoping to get down to Philly in the next 2 weeks to look at Imperial, Beekman, Duffield, Lincoln Green, etc. I'm 22/female, non-smoker, no pets, very clean. PM if you would like to chat. Thanks!

Got accepted today after getting the "delayed decision until April 15" letter last month. Sooo excited to be joining the c/o 2013 at PCOM- I will definitely be sending the deposit today and holding onto this seat with two hands :)

Got accepted today after getting the "delayed decision until April 15" letter last month. Sooo excited to be joining the c/o 2013 at PCOM- I will definitely be sending the deposit today and holding onto this seat with two hands :)

Awesome! Doesn't it feel like a big weight has been lifted off your shoulders??

Party your ass off from here on out until August!

Awesome! Doesn't it feel like a big weight has been lifted off your shoulders??

Party your ass off from here on out until August!

Thanks! I had other acceptances, but this is the school I set my heart on. It feels amazing. I'll be celebrating tonight and heading to Costa Rica for spring break in a few days (not as a college student though, lol, I'm actually a teacher) so this vacation will be well-deserved and extra special. I can relax, celebrate and enjoy instead of worrying about coming home to a waitlist or rejection letter in the mailbox.

hey

just wanted to send out a message to students who are currently attending PCOM. I need some feedback from real students who were not leading my tour :)

do you like it there? do you feel like you will be competitive after graduation? what don't you like about the school?

thanks!

Well...PCOM it is for me, just handed in my deposit in person. The front desk security lady is awesome, every time I enter Evan's Hall she puts a smile on my face, awesome joyous personality!

See you guys in August.

hey

just wanted to send out a message to students who are currently attending PCOM. I need some feedback from real students who were not leading my tour :)

do you like it there? do you feel like you will be competitive after graduation? what don't you like about the school?

thanks!

There aren't many current students who post regularly anymore from PCOM, so search past threads for your answers to be safe.

your new profile pic - lol...I made the mistake again of seeing it and thinking "Oh - Cool. I think that I interviewed with her! I guess she turned down LECOM and KCUMB" until I notice your username a few lines later in a reply :laugh:

Do you guys know if PCOM sends a letter acknowledging receipt of the 2k deposit? I'm wondering if thats whats needed in order to receive the CBC letter (having the deposit in), because I have yet to receive it...I have confirmed that my deposit was received however!

I also never got the letter asking to make a decision on whether or not to pay the 2k by April 15th, hmmmm.

Have you guys received any letters or anything, not including the two mentioned above, after the binder was sent?

Frickin paranoia won't end until I step foot on campus for orientation...:scared:

Do you guys know if PCOM sends a letter acknowledging receipt of the 2k deposit?
Frickin paranoia won't end until I step foot on campus for orientation...:scared:

Don't worry, they got your deposit, so you're good. Doesn't matter if you got the reminder letter or not. They took your money so relax :thumbup:

They told me today after I paid my 2k that I'll be getting another binder in a few weeks. I didn't ask what it was about, I imagine it's more information about oreintation or something

Here's to hoping that more spaces open up for you waitlist people! :clap:

Do you guys know if PCOM sends a letter acknowledging receipt of the 2k deposit? I'm wondering if thats whats needed in order to receive the CBC letter (having the deposit in), because I have yet to receive it...I have confirmed that my deposit was received however!

I also never got the letter asking to make a decision on whether or not to pay the 2k by April 15th, hmmmm.

Have you guys received any letters or anything, not including the two mentioned above, after the binder was sent?

I dropped off my check in person yesterday. I was told that we would recieve a letter in a few weeks with a confirmation of the deposit and with information on how to complete the criminal background check.

Is the group "DO Class of 2013 Phila" working for anyone else in Nucleus? I don't see the group listed under the group index and when I click on the link for it from nucleus, it gives me a system error message.

I dropped off my check in person yesterday. I was told that we would recieve a letter in a few weeks with a confirmation of the deposit and with information on how to complete the criminal background check.

Hell Yeah!!!

Hi everyone

I'm curious if anyone's come across an academic calendar for PCOM. For example, I'm already applying for internships for next summer and I'd like to know the last day of class for our first year and the first day of class for our second year, spring break dates, etc.

I found this page on PCOM, but it's an actual calendar that you have to scroll through which takes awhile. Also, it says things like "M1 ends" and I think that means our first year, but I'm not sure

I know specific dates might not be up yet, but I would like at least a general guideline so I can start applying to this internships.

Thanks!

Just wanted to post this for you accepted but without email access:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted you all to know that you do not need to purchase a white coat or a stethoscope. POMA (The Pennsylvania Osteopathic Medical Association) gives you a top quality stethoscope and your first white coat as gifts.

We will send you a list of what you need to buy some time in June or July.

Feel free to email us with any questions.

Dr. Woodruff and the staff from Student Affairs

Hi everyone

I'm curious if anyone's come across an academic calendar for PCOM. For example, I'm already applying for internships for next summer and I'd like to know the last day of class for our first year and the first day of class for our second year, spring break dates, etc.

I found this page on PCOM, but it's an actual calendar that you have to scroll through which takes awhile. Also, it says things like "M1 ends" and I think that means our first year, but I'm not sure

I know specific dates might not be up yet, but I would like at least a general guideline so I can start applying to this internships.

Thanks!

My binder just came today and had an academic calendar for 2009-10 in it. Spring Break: 3/21-3/29/10. Last Day of Classes: 6/5/10. Classes Resume: 8/17/10.

edit: Here, I'll post the whole thing. Maybe some of you who were accepted really early last fall didn't have it in your binders because it wasn't finalized?

8/9-8/14/09: Orientation
8/17/09: First Day of Classes
9/7/09: Labor Day No Classes
10/3/09: White Coat Ceremony
11/26-11/27/09: Thanksgiving No Classes
12/19/09-1/3/10: Winter Break
1/18/10: MLK Day No Classes
3/21-3/29/10: Spring Break No Classes
5/25/10: Memorial Day No Classes
6/5/10: Last Day of Classes
8/17/10: Classes Resume (don't know why this is a tuesday...)

Last edited:
Thanks DO2BE and Rollo!

That criminal background check: I just got that too. Why didn't they just email us that information? They kept saying they were going to send us more instructions via the mail...but an email would of been fine.

Anyway, thanks!

Thanks DO2BE and Rollo!

That criminal background check: I just got that too. Why didn't they just email us that information? They kept saying they were going to send us more instructions via the mail...but an email would of been fine.

Anyway, thanks!

Hmm, yeah I thought that was odd too. :shrug:

Did any of you finish and mail out the medical history questionaire form to PCOM student wellness office? If so, did you guys receive any email or mail confirmation regarding the receipt or completion of this form?

Also, is calling the admission office the only way to check if PCOM has received our college transcripts? Are they gonna send out any confirmations letters regarding the receipt of our transcripts?

Hi everyone

Thanks!

do you have access to nucleus yet? Yeah, all the MS calanders/schedules are posted under Resources tab, I think.

Did any of you finish and mail out the medical history questionaire form to PCOM student wellness office? If so, did you guys receive any email or mail confirmation regarding the receipt or completion of this form?

Also, is calling the admission office the only way to check if PCOM has received our college transcripts? Are they gonna send out any confirmations letters regarding the receipt of our transcripts?

I didn't send mine yet, I'm getting my last Hep B shot on the 4th, then I have to wait for the titer, then I'll send it.

And I don't think they're going to confirm receipt of the transcript. They just confirmed receipt of my deposit in that CBC mailing, but it acted as if I hadn't sent the transcript. Sent it months ago. So I'm calling in the next week or so to confirm.

I didn't send mine yet, I'm getting my last Hep B shot on the 4th, then I have to wait for the titer, then I'll send it.

And I don't think they're going to confirm receipt of the transcript. They just confirmed receipt of my deposit in that CBC mailing, but it acted as if I hadn't sent the transcript. Sent it months ago. So I'm calling in the next week or so to confirm.

I emailed Benvenger about this. Since I've been around for awhile, I sent transcripts from all 7 (!) of the colleges I've attended, and some were a pain in the arse to send. Hopefully they have them otherwise I'm screwed

I wonder if they'd be ok (or would notice) if just received only the transcritps where I got my degrees from...really, why would they need a transcript for college classes I took in high school?

do you have access to nucleus yet? Yeah, all the MS calanders/schedules are posted under Resources tab, I think.

I saw those dates and all the exam info, but I assusemed they were for the current first years. It doesn't apper that they have our info up yet on nucleus, although I could be wrong

I emailed Benvenger about this. Since I've been around for awhile, I sent transcripts from all 7 (!) of the colleges I've attended, and some were a pain in the arse to send. Hopefully they have them otherwise I'm screwed

I wonder if they'd be ok (or would notice) if just received only the transcritps where I got my degrees from...really, why would they need a transcript for college classes I took in high school?

Actually what's weird is if you look in the binder, every reference (there are several) to sending transcripts says you are required to send them from "every college from which you have earned a degree" but the acceptance and deposit acknowledgement letters say "every school you have attended."

Since it's in writing in their binder material several times that they only need them from where you got your degree(s) you could reasonably feign ignorance I guess...

I called the office about this specifically a couple weeks ago and they said to send transcripts from EVERY college attended...which for me meant going to the small college I was dual enrolled in during high school and filling out a prehistoric transcript waiver form...ughhhhhhh.

Also, I've yet to recieve the CBC form or even a confirmation of my deposit. They have my deposit thats for sure, but I wanna get everything else mailed in ASAP!

Thanks. I guess I will be calling the office to confirm later in a week or two.

Good that I don't need to the 3 hep B shots cuz I got them prior to entering my undergraduate. However, I just got my shots for Tetanus and Diptheria Pertussis cuz they must be within last two years, even though I had them already. LAME!!!

Last edited: