PCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bacchus

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get to know each other. I received my PCOM acceptance today, the 16th. The committee must have met on either the 13, 14, or 15th. I'm in a predicament. I have dual acceptances and don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation. I've ruled out a few schools, but I'm torn between PCOM, Chicago, Des Moines, and Michigan State!! Which schools are you considering?

Ps. Congratulations! Too many acceptances is a good problem to have ;)

December 5 is an acceptance luncheon at the Philadelphia campus. Formal invitations are being sent out. These are to complement emails that have been already sent. I also received a letter today acknowledging my first deposit. It says that new student binders will be mailed in late January. Additonally, background check materials will be mailed by April 30, 2008.

Congrats to all of you. I just finished my first term at PCOM - NIGHTMARE but still amazing that I got through it. If you guys have any questions, feel free to post or PM me. Enjoy whatever free time you have now....seriously....you're going to miss it!

Congrats to you all again! :love:

Congrats to all of you. I just finished my first term at PCOM - NIGHTMARE but still amazing that I got through it. If you guys have any questions, feel free to post or PM me. Enjoy whatever free time you have now....seriously....you're going to miss it!

Congrats to you all again! :love:

The grades aren't up yet on Blackboard :scared:

:laugh:

Now you just gotta worry about OMM!

-PCOM2012

EDIT: Ha, I think I know who you are Ms. Firefly. Small world.

Last edited:
The grades aren't up yet on Blackboard :scared:

:laugh:

Now you just gotta worry about OMM!

-PCOM2012

EDIT: Ha, I think I know who you are Ms. Firefly. Small world.

I think I know who you are too! But not sure....maybe I should walk around Ginsburg yelling DannMann99 and see who answers....:laugh:

Hi...Interviewed 10/22, accepted 11/10.

I had a great interview experience. I liked CCOM, but I just got this feeling at PCOM like I would be comfortable and happy there.

Why is PCOM so annoying with their LORs?

I am so confused regarding their expectations for LORs. They don't want science professors who you interacted on a daily basis and would rather have one from a pre-med adviser you met once in a blue moon?

:(

Ugh. If i remember right it was a pre-med committee. I've heard other people had varying experiences with their committee's at their respective establishments but in my case, the committee consisted of 1 prof from physics, 1 from chem, 2 from bio, 1 math, and your advisor.

My school was medium size school, not huge but not tiny and I personally knew maybe 50% of those people...

Maybe you're in a different boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
My school didn't have a committee, and I didn't have an advisor. I graduated a few years ago, so this seemed ridiculous. I just contacted my school's pre-med advising department, talked to an advisor, aent him my essays and CV, and basically he wrote a generic letter to fullfill my requirement. Then I sent all the legit letters from professors and others on top of that. And it worked out fine.

So I think you should just have them send the letter, and then send the ones you want as well. I think they will look at them all.

Is anyone else going to the luncheon on Dec 5th? Or coming from the Delaware area and want to carpool? Also, how long did it take before they cashed your deposit? Because I sent mine in over a week and a half ago and it still hasn't come out of my account, I'm thinking about calling.

I am going to the luncheon but I'm in Philadelphia. Good news: Gas prices have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY. I wrote my check the 20th and mailed it the same day. It was cashed the 28th.

I am going to the luncheon but I'm in Philadelphia. Good news: Gas prices have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY. I wrote my check the 20th and mailed it the same day. It was cashed the 28th.

I noticed that. 2.05/gal in philly? lol.

Does anyone know why it dropped so drastically?

Because the global economy sucks, too. Tangent: The Secretary of Energy (or equivalent) in France as in Philadelphia last night to discuss nuclear energy. France's energy is 52% nuclear, making them the least dependent on foreign oil for those countries that are dependent. Their gas prices are probably still high.

For those that got invited to the luncheon and/or plan to go...what information is the luncheon supposed to give you? Just curious. I got my acceptance yesterday and plan to send my deposit in sometime next week, so obviously after the luncheon. Wish I could make it!

does anyone know of people at PCOM doing international rotations? When I asked the man at the breakfast he sort of looked at me funny and said study abroad was pretty much for undergrad. The other school I'm considering seems more International-friendly. This is just one factor in my decision, so I was wondering if any of you had heard anything otherwise. Thanks

OK paid my deposit today, so it's official. I have to say it's pretty sweet they don't ask for 2K 2 weeks before xmas like most other schools. I am every kind of broke at this point.

Did anyone go to the lunch? How was it?

It was good, met some cool people that I look forward to having classes with. Sat with a professor of EM at Temple (or something like that). Funny guy.

Last edited:
does anyone know of people at PCOM doing international rotations? When I asked the man at the breakfast he sort of looked at me funny and said study abroad was pretty much for undergrad. The other school I'm considering seems more International-friendly. This is just one factor in my decision, so I was wondering if any of you had heard anything otherwise. Thanks

I asked about this during my actual interview. The student said yes, there are opporutunities during the summers of your 1st and 2nd year to have opportunities abroad. I'm also assuming this means you could do it in your 4th year as well.

I noticed that. 2.05/gal in philly? lol.

Does anyone know why it dropped so drastically?

Gas prices are causated to the cost of barrel of oil. Oil has dropped down to about $45. When we were paying over $4, it was up around $150 a barrel.

It was good, met some cool people that I look forward to having classes with. Sat with a professor of EM at Temple (or something like that). Funny guy.

Was his name Wald?

anyone here know anything about Beekman vs Greenbriar Apts? Obviously I'd check them out if I go to PCOM but I was wondering if anyone had insight? I'll have to be in walking distance of PCOM since I won't have a car for awhile

Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys had this in your acceptance letters:

"Prior to your matriculation, we must receive official transcripts from all colleges you have attended. These transcripts should include confirmation of the achievement of your academic degree."

Later

Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys had this in your acceptance letters:

"Prior to your matriculation, we must receive official transcripts from all colleges you have attended. These transcripts should include confirmation of the achievement of your academic degree."

Later

yep, had that too. most med schools want final transcripts before matriculation.

Dennis Guest, he coordinates Temple East, I believe from what I found online.

Oh ok. Awesome.

I gotta say, I love Temple and all it represents. That includes the medical school and hospital. I think I'll always support Temple, they made a believer out of me.
So when we all gonna go out for some beers?!

I think I'm going to send my PCOM deposit in tomorrow or the next day! I can't get it out of my head that LECOM is only around $25,000 though. But I think if I went there I would be constantly wondering, what could have been?:eek:

Well...I got into my state MD school. I'm a little sad about saying no to PCOM because I really liked it, but there's no way I'm turning down state tuition (and I don't have to move). Good luck to everyone!

Well...I got into my state MD school. I'm a little sad about saying no to PCOM because I really liked it, but there's no way I'm turning down state tuition (and I don't have to move). Good luck to everyone!

Same to you, Lolo!

Congrats to all of you! I am a current first year that has realised that living by myself is not for me anymore - I am hoping to move back into center city (lived near Penn for 4 years) this summer when my lease is up. I'm looking for another person, possibly more than 1 and pref. a female, who might be willing to live in the city as well. I haven't found a place yet and am not confirmed on this but am seriously throwing the idea around. If anyone wants to brainstorm with me and is open to the idea, feel free to PM me....

Congrats to all of you! I am a current first year that has realised that living by myself is not for me anymore - I am hoping to move back into center city (lived near Penn for 4 years) this summer when my lease is up. I'm looking for another person, possibly more than 1 and pref. a female, who might be willing to live in the city as well. I haven't found a place yet and am not confirmed on this but am seriously throwing the idea around. If anyone wants to brainstorm with me and is open to the idea, feel free to PM me....

Hey so I read on the website that about 8 weeks after you put money down for your first deposit you get the new student binder and access to nucleus. They have a housing section on there and a roommate finder. Just in case you don't get many hits here... this thread is dead! :sleep:

Hey so I read on the website that about 8 weeks after you put money down for your first deposit you get the new student binder and access to nucleus. They have a housing section on there and a roommate finder. Just in case you don't get many hits here... this thread is dead! :sleep:

:laugh: Thanks....yeah I am already looking there.

hey everyone -- i also posted this question in the pre-osteo pcom thread, so if it is redundant i appologize in advance. i was just wondering if anyone has any basis of comparison of pcom vs. nycom. i have already been accepted to nycom, but i am also very interested to visit/interview at pcom. my app has been complete since mid sept., but still has not been reviewed -- still hopeful for an interview eventually :xf:. anyone who has visited both schools have any insights on what you think of them comparatively?

Hello,
I have been accepted to several schools (RVU, PCOM, CCOM, DMU, etc...), but was really excited when I visited PCOM. The only thing that I am not sure about is how my living situation is going to be. I am married and we have a small dog. Are many PCOM students married and if so, do they rent an apartment out there? Or do they rent/own a home? Ideally we would like to rent a house with our dog, but from what I have seen, most places do not rent to people with pets. Can anyone share any advice or knowledge on PCOM's student's living situations? Do any married couples live together in ahome and split rent? :oops: I am at a loss on this aspect. Otherwise, LOVED PCOM and all it had to offer. Thanks for any feedback!

Hello,
I have been accepted to several schools (RVU, PCOM, CCOM, DMU, etc...), but was really excited when I visited PCOM. The only thing that I am not sure about is how my living situation is going to be. I am married and we have a small dog. Are many PCOM students married and if so, do they rent an apartment out there? Or do they rent/own a home? Ideally we would like to rent a house with our dog, but from what I have seen, most places do not rent to people with pets. Can anyone share any advice or knowledge on PCOM's student's living situations? Do any married couples live together in ahome and split rent? :oops: I am at a loss on this aspect. Otherwise, LOVED PCOM and all it had to offer. Thanks for any feedback!

I'm not a PCOM student yet, but I will be in the fall and I'm married. I'm not sure about renting with a pet, but there are a lot of places in Manayunk that seem to have yards that would be good for a pet. I would check out craigslist, realtor.com or 4wallsinphilly.com.

You shouldn't be concerned about going to PCOM and being married. I'm not sure how many married students are at the school, but it shouldn't pose a problem at all. What are you concerned about?

Personally, we don't plan to split rent with anyone else, but if you're comfortable with that then it's definitely a good way to cut back on living expenses.

I'm not a PCOM student yet, but I will be in the fall and I'm married. I'm not sure about renting with a pet, but there are a lot of places in Manayunk that seem to have yards that would be good for a pet. I would check out craigslist, realtor.com or 4wallsinphilly.com.

You shouldn't be concerned about going to PCOM and being married. I'm not sure how many married students are at the school, but it shouldn't pose a problem at all. What are you concerned about?

Personally, we don't plan to split rent with anyone else, but if you're comfortable with that then it's definitely a good way to cut back on living expenses.

I am not concerned about being a married student! I am really just concerned about affording rent with just us and a pet. I checked craigslist and found nothing in the way of renting with a pet...I know most single students have roommates and it makes affording rent a lot easier, but was not sure what most married students at PCOM do. Or people with pets?! Is rent manageable? Thanks so much for your input.

hey everyone -- i also posted this question in the pre-osteo pcom thread, so if it is redundant i appologize in advance. i was just wondering if anyone has any basis of comparison of pcom vs. nycom. i have already been accepted to nycom, but i am also very interested to visit/interview at pcom. my app has been complete since mid sept., but still has not been reviewed -- still hopeful for an interview eventually :xf:. anyone who has visited both schools have any insights on what you think of them comparatively?

NYCOM is out on long island... have you ever been out there? I grew up out there and don't think i could go back lawl. let alone spend 4 yrs at school there.

Hello,

Congrats on the acceptance. If the living situation is the only reservation you'd be crazy to pass up PCOM.

I am a PCOM first year and married. If your class is like my class there will be a bunch of you who are married (30+ out of 270), and many more getting engaged as the year goes on. You'll be the minority but most people have an boyfriend or girlfriend anyway. As for living situation, I know people who walk and others who drive 20 miles or more. Come and look, check out craigslist... some of the stuff around is crap but you can find really nice places. Pets make things a little harder or more expensive but in the area or in the burbs around school (Montgomery County which starts across the street from the school) I am sure you could find whatever you need. It might take a weekend but hey you'll be here for 4 years so.....

If you have other questions feel free to drop me a line..... good luck and stockpile the sleep now.:)

Hey guys - I'm getting more and more excited about attending PCOM this fall. I am fairly set on the school unless I get an unlikely invite later this cycle. Never thought I'd say this, but only if those other schools would just send their rejection letters already!

Its crazy to think that we all will become friends throughout the rollercoaster ride that evidently is medical school. Here's to a great next four years with all of you...

I am not concerned about being a married student! I am really just concerned about affording rent with just us and a pet. I checked craigslist and found nothing in the way of renting with a pet...I know most single students have roommates and it makes affording rent a lot easier, but was not sure what most married students at PCOM do. Or people with pets?! Is rent manageable? Thanks so much for your input.

From what I've found rent definitely seems manageable. Is your spouse going to be working? If so, I think married students have such an advantage because they still have 1 income coming in. My husband will be working ft and was thinking about getting a pt job too.

We've been researching places in Center City area and Manayunk. Rent ranges from $800-$1400, which isn't too bad to me. I've already made a budget for anticipated monthly costs for med school so I'm basing what we can afford off of that. I'm sure you'll be able to get some good recommendations on places from current students too.

sort of in a pickle here.... got into both DO and MD schools and can't make up my mind as to which one i want to pursue....... if anybody else has/had the same dilemma, what did you decide and how/why? others please please please chime in as well!

are there any current students reading this that live in Beekman Place? The lady said some utilities aren't included like they were this year. Does this make the monthly bill ridiculous or manageable? utilities not being included makes me a bit nervous (gas and electric i think)

Gas in Philadelphia is outrageous. If it means not getting Beekman, but getting gas included, I would do it. To give you an idea, my last gas bill was $330, the one before that $253, and the one before that about $150. If my gas were to price out like last year, that gives me $50 to spend over the next four months. Not happening.