Part 1 NBDE scores and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!

i have started this thread so that all of u who have taken the part 1 in july 2003 can post your scores once u get them and post any advice u can give to the rest of us who will be giving the boards in december or later, such as reference books, time spent etc.

i believe yah-e has a similar thread in the "dental" forum but i thought a similar one in "international dental" would help.

please do make the effort to post ur scores in either of the threads so it helps everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

By the way, what is the earliest date by which you can apply to a school for their advanced standing program? Most deadlines are at around February, but how early could u apply?

Most of you know that i took exam on june 2 and still have not received scores. It is July 2nd and I emailed ADA to ask when they were sent. He said they were sent June 10th. I had to ask husband several times if sure he has not seen them. How do the scores come? Does it say pass or fail or just numbers .

Ask them to resent it . Call them up n enquire if the mail was returned back to them because of some prob in the mailing address...
It happens sometime dont get tensed ..
maybe U can even ask to disclose ur scores over the phone itself as it was already sent

Members don't see this ad :)
I called and spoke with a guy named Nick. he said that they would resend a copy to the confirmed address early next week. He also stated that they could not disclose any scores or other information over the phone. I am still praying for great scores.

hey guys pls help

i got 85 in prt 1 ...appeard in june this year( 318 q got rt)
i ve gpa 3.37

shd i retake or tke prt 2

thanx

Last edited:
Hi,

I am just starting from scratch with the preparation for National boards, part1. Can anyone plz advise where and how I can start with.

Thanks

hi i just started to prepare for part 1 please anyone guide me how to p-repare what materials to read and and the pattern to read .please i am also in search of part 1materils preferably hard copies .please let me know what materials r essential.

Hi
I took the NBDE part 1 on 7.29.2008 and scored 88 with 335/400 should I have the scores audited (rechecked) ?

thanks

hi,
don't just compare your number of correct answers.
every question has a different difficulty level.
so if u answered all easier ones correct your total tally of correct answers may be high but the curve may be low.
one of my class mates had 338/400 & scored 90 last week.
so it all depends from case to case, it's not percentage it's percentile that u get,
hope this helps,
start applying to schools , u have a good score,
all the best,

Hello everyone I"m new in this forum, and I really like it a lot,
I'M just starting to register for my NBDE Part I, can someone give me an idea, where can I find information in order study for this exam, thank u, I Need help !!!!!!

hi guys i took part 1 in nov and got 81 .Iam really disappointed with that after doing so much hard work for 4 months. i can't decide what to do retake part1 or take part2. anybody plz give me an advise .i will b wating 4 that .thanks guys

HI,
i just got my part one results 81% with 3.92 gpa
where i should apply?? or retake??
need suggestions
SHEHLA

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,

I was just going through SDN and read your old post ,as i am going to give my NBDE 1. Your advice is really helpful, thanks. I am also from India , and just wanted to know from where did you amange to get hold of these textbooks? I dont have these text books here , they are back in india.
Are they available in the public libraries here?
Also,are these text books adequate for this exam as i know our studies back home is not so much in detail as they do it here, esp physio /biochemistry, micro/patho,anatomic sciences .
I am from chicago.
Would really appreciate your help.
thanks.

Anatomical Sciences: 90
Biochemistry/Physiology: 89
Microbiology/Pathology: 94
Dental Anatomy: 92

Overall Average: 91

Cumulative Study Hours:total of 4 months ,for the first 3 months,6 hr days with weekends off,and the last 1 month 10 hr days still with weekends off except for the last 2 weeks.but i can't say i followed this pattern like a machine,some days were good where i averaged these hrs or more, on bad days much less.but this was the study pattern more or less.
Recommended Studying Materials: i used all my old text books which u will be familiar with only if you are from india like Chaurasia for anatomy,harsh mohan for pathology,ananth narayan for micro etc.read wheeler for D.Anatomy.by this i donot mean i memorised eveything line by line,just read through once or twice.this was becoz i had lost touch with my basic sciences which i had learned almost 5 yrs back in my first yr of dental school.and i felt going through my old texts would be more familiar.if u r good in basic sciences there is no need to do this.i was just writing abt what i did.
then ofcourse 1998 Dental decks and ASDA Qtn papers.kaplan for references in biochem ,1 subject in which i was particularly weak.

Most Difficult Section:hungover:ental anatomy which i expected to be easy

Study DOs:learn dental decks atleast 4 times esp all the great info on the back.do all the ASDA papers.there r conflicting opinions rgding kaplan some say it is really good but i don't know becoz i didn't take the course,just had some notes a friend gave me.
Study DON'Ts:hungover:on't waste too much time with the theory part if you feel you are reasonably good in the subjects.i did that becoz i had lost touch completely and felt it would be good to have a strong base in the basic sciences.
Most important: keep a cool head on the day of the exam.

hi,

I was just going through SDN and read your old post ,as i am going to give my NBDE 1. Your advice is really helpful, thanks. I am also from India , and just wanted to know from where did you amange to get hold of these textbooks? I dont have these text books here , they are back in india.
Are they available in the public libraries here?
Also,are these text books adequate for this exam as i know our studies back home is not so much in detail as they do it here, esp physio /biochemistry, micro/patho,anatomic sciences .
I am from chicago.
Would really appreciate your help.
thanks.

Hi all!
Congratulations on your great results. I have just started studying for my NDB part1, I hope to take them in December. Is it possible to study and do well in 2 months. I know this is a very realtive question and it depends on an individuals ability to slog it out..but still humour me . I graduated from India, Bombay. I have started doing the decks and I think i can easily put in about 10 hours a day ..i dont have an option if i intend to take it in December. Is 2 months enough? help.I have all the study material you guys have mentioned. Would appreciate some advice !
Cheers!!:)

Hey mrinalini,

is this mrinalini form GDC, bombay?
im from gdc too
how are you doing?
did you give your part 1?

porcelain 258 and catfish....... DA i did from decks..then made a table of my own keeping decks as base, table of most/least/longest/shortest...........also added anything new in this table from kaplan or any question of released paper. DA questions i had in nbde were appx 90% from decks n the rest i dont think were even there in kaplan book or the qbank.
the DA questions were easy but as i have earlier mentioned..options were very tricky, especially for DA. eg the most common missing tooth...options were..upper 3rd molar, lower 3rd molar, upper lateral incisor, 2nd premolar. now the decks has the answer as upper 3rd molar. no doubts this is a simpler example i m giving...the more confusing ones i dont remember. so i think preparing DA with ur own table really helps. n in this table u can always write down in an ascending or descending order. so the confusing options wont bother u.

docsmiley..yes i m a foreign trained dentist! n as of the raw scores, infact i hv a doubt. if u look at my raw scores, n those of the other who have posted theirs in this thread, i really cant figure how my comp score is 91 while probably my raw score is lower than theirs. i hope u r getting my point. pls do tell me if u can understand

n porcelain 258 thanks for looking n replying for the raw scores!!!!

Theres a posibility on the difficulty level of the questions that are correctly answered.

hi guys..
im just asking if passing from the first attemp NBDE 1(86) could make any diffirence in college admission than passing from the second or third attemps
be pleased to get your replys ASAP:(

Hi, I live in MD too...had got my score on monday!!! check yr post-office.
priti
hey congrats.
i live at baltimore,md.iam new to this country.could u plz tell me where to get these released question papers or asda material or decks.