Part 1 NBDE scores and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!

i have started this thread so that all of u who have taken the part 1 in july 2003 can post your scores once u get them and post any advice u can give to the rest of us who will be giving the boards in december or later, such as reference books, time spent etc.

i believe yah-e has a similar thread in the "dental" forum but i thought a similar one in "international dental" would help.

please do make the effort to post ur scores in either of the threads so it helps everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell what a score of 87 means i.e is it good or bad for admission specially in california.

hey parul,
where did you do your Dental programme in india?i am familiar with your name.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi friends,
i got it....after a long waiting ,,,,
:clap: :clap: :clap:
i got 91!!!

i have posted same msg on the dental forum,but i dont think everyone will b looking at that....so i m posting it here also.
here is my scores..

Anatomical Sciences:90
Biochemistry/Physiology:85
Microbiology/Pathology:91
Dental Anatomy:97

Overall Average:91

Cumulative Study Hours:not strictly followed specific time table...but on avarage 5 hrs /day.(sunday off)

Recommended Studying Materials:hungover:ental decks,released examinations,kaplan's notes.

Most Difficult Section:biochemistry...i hate it:mad: (even my score show that :) )

Study DOs:
-i think if u go with decks & try to understand each & every line of it u wont have any problem.

-if u find any difficulty while preparing with papers try to get answer for that either from ur text books or on internet.

-kaplan note is also helpful as a review material.

Study DON'Ts:
-don't follo anybody blindly.
everyone has different ability & different style so better decide ur own way.

i think thats what i did.:)

i think we all have to post our part-1 scores in this thread only so one shd not have to go to all thread ,,,so pls do share ur score & experience here.

HI PRITI,
CONGRATULATIONS FOR SUCH A GOOD SCORE...
I M APPEARING FOR PART 1 IN DEC. CAN U TELL ME ,THAT DO I NEED TO REFER ANY OTHER BOOKS FOR THAT,APART FROM OLD PAPERS,DENTAL DECK,AND KAPLAN BOOK.

Hi Priti,
Congrats!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
Your score is very good.
I hope everything goes well as you wish.
As for me , I am still waiting and very worried.
Hoping I'll make it.

Again , GOOD LUCK :) :)

Originally posted by dr2th

I M APPEARING FOR PART 1 IN DEC. CAN U TELL ME ,THAT DO I NEED TO REFER ANY OTHER BOOKS FOR THAT,APART FROM OLD PAPERS,DENTAL DECK,AND KAPLAN BOOK.

NO. I just used decks & paper...and refered kaplan/search on net for explanation of some concepts.

thanks for appriciation.
priti.

Hi Guys,

I got my score yesterday and wish you all get good scores. Good luck.

Anatomical Sciences:87
Biochemistry/Physiology:89
Microbiology/Pathology:89
Dental Anatomy:94

Overall Average:90

Congratulations everyone!!!!

Hey dds fight, you are one of the few who score higher in dental anatomy. Most people take that subject for granted and study less for it, so scoring the lowest there. What was your study method for dental anatomy??

I got my result yesterday.Got 90%

Anatomical Sciences:91
Biochemistry/Physiology:88
Microbiology/Pathology:86
Dental Anatomy:96

best of luck to all those who are expecting their results and applying to schools..
pooja

I received my scores .

Anat/sci 80
bio/physio 76
micro/path 81
dent anat 88

Avg : 81

I am devastated.with these score i don't know if i could get accepted in an advanced progams.

please need advices.

thanks

Hi,

I got my results yesterday .
Got an 86%.
Hope everyone has got it.
Best of luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
After a loooong wait,I got my result today.Overall average 90%.

Hope everyone gets the best result.

All the very best.

Originally posted by alino60
I received my scores .

Anat/sci 80
bio/physio 76
micro/path 81
dent anat 88

I am devastated.with these score i don't know if i could get accepted in an advanced progams.

please need advices.

thanks

Devastated????
You passed with a score above 80!!!!!
Do you know how many people hope to get at least an 80??? At least I do.

Maybe you should apply to schools that don't have set a minimum part 1 score as a requirement, like NYU, UPenn, etc.

80 is about 20 th percentile - its ok/good for the dental student who is in Dental school - but competing for an AS spot its not very competitive. However, I am sure that some AS programs just want you to have passed the test - I know the AS student in my class only had an 81-83. I would say just apply, because I think AS spots are more luck than anything. Don't schools have to have an opening in the sophmore class before they consider AS students?

hey there,
I still haven't recieved my scores.....
Is there anyone like me still waiting for the results??:confused:
please let me know...( I stay in maryland)
thanks

Originally posted by lebelle
hey there,
I still haven't recieved my scores.....
Is there anyone like me still waiting for the results??:confused:
please let me know...( I stay in maryland)
thanks

Hi, I live in MD too...had got my score on monday!!! check yr post-office.
priti

hi ,
got my results yday after a long wait !!!!
average ; 91%
anatomy ;88
biochem ;89
patho micro;92
dental anatomy ;95

Anatomy:90

Bio/Physio:89

Path/Micro:94

Dental Anat:92
Average:91%

DrRob, meggs,
thanks for your reply, that is very nice of you.
I am just worried that a score of 81% will not be enough to compete for an AS spot.
I went to a dental society meeting here in the washington,dc area and talked to some dentists who advised me to just go ahead and start preparing for part2.
Do you think I have to repeat part1 to better my chances or just go and prepare part2?

DrRob, what school did you attend?

THANKS AGAIN,

alino60 :confused: :confused:

hi everyone!

thank u so much for posting in your scores. i have not been checking the posts on SDN for sometime and hence have'nt followed up until now.

poojagulaya....congrats on ur great dental anat scores and ur average is great too! :clap:

sadanand great DA scores too and great average. :clap:

could u both please post how u studied for DA and of course all the other subjects too.

alino60 please dont be discouraged. if u dont get accepted into NYU or anywhere else, u can always try again and u will definitely do better next time around. :clap:

mib 86 is good. parul congrats to u too. :clap:

priti, pearle and dentek2.... congrats on ur scores- great job. :clap:

i am posting guidelines/format from yah-e's thread :D so u all can post ur advice to the rest of us.....in advance, thank u for taking the time to post.

[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences:
Biochemistry/Physiology:
Microbiology/Pathology:
Dental Anatomy:

Overall Average:

Cumulative Study Hours:
Recommended Studying Materials:
Most Difficult Section:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

i am sure all of us really appreciate the time u put in to post here and help out others with your advice.

thanks everyone. :)

Marquette!

Part 2 can be taken anytime on the computer. Its probably a good idea to take it as soon as possible - You just need to pass. On average people score 2 - 4 points less than part 1. If I were you I would take part 2 ASAP (its a requirement for graduation at most schools and licensure) and contact the dental schools you wish to attend to see if you should retake the part 1. If you are not accepted this year - see about doing a residency (GPR, AEGD) and then reapply. Eventually you will get in somewhere. What about applying to yr. 1? If there are no AS spots, would/could you be considered for yr 1? Whats the big deal of 1 extra year in the long run if an american dds is truly your dream.

I am curious if you could be accepted for yr 1. I know at marquette before the curriculum changed AS students had to take complete dentures with the freshman and fixed pros (freshman) over the summer before sophmore year. Also, they were exempt from basic science courses covered on part 1 in the sophmore year.

Thanks DrRob,
don't the residency programs require a dds from a us or canadian school?
I will really go for that possibility.
Thanks again

hi priti,

Thanks for the reply....
did u mean ask ur post office? how do I do that ......I've been getting other mails though.
Which part of MD do u stay? I stay in gaither'sberg.
keep in touch

Originally posted by lebelle
hi priti,

Thanks for the reply....
did u mean ask ur post office? how do I do that ......I've been getting other mails though.
Which part of MD do u stay? I stay in gaither'sberg.
keep in touch
i m in hyattsville....near UMD....u can go to yr post office and tell abt scores u r waiting...i think they should be able to tell whether they haved rcvd anything from ada or not.
priti

still waiting for that advice everyone!! please do post in ur tips.

[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences:
Biochemistry/Physiology:
Microbiology/Pathology:
Dental Anatomy:

Overall Average:

Cumulative Study Hours:
Recommended Studying Materials:
Most Difficult Section:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

i am sure all of us really appreciate the time u put in to post here and help out others with your advice.

thanks everyone.

Anatomical Sciences: 90
Biochemistry/Physiology: 89
Microbiology/Pathology: 94
Dental Anatomy: 92

Overall Average: 91

Cumulative Study Hours:total of 4 months ,for the first 3 months,6 hr days with weekends off,and the last 1 month 10 hr days still with weekends off except for the last 2 weeks.but i can't say i followed this pattern like a machine,some days were good where i averaged these hrs or more, on bad days much less.but this was the study pattern more or less.
Recommended Studying Materials: i used all my old text books which u will be familiar with only if you are from india like Chaurasia for anatomy,harsh mohan for pathology,ananth narayan for micro etc.read wheeler for D.Anatomy.by this i donot mean i memorised eveything line by line,just read through once or twice.this was becoz i had lost touch with my basic sciences which i had learned almost 5 yrs back in my first yr of dental school.and i felt going through my old texts would be more familiar.if u r good in basic sciences there is no need to do this.i was just writing abt what i did.
then ofcourse 1998 Dental decks and ASDA Qtn papers.kaplan for references in biochem ,1 subject in which i was particularly weak.

Most Difficult Section:hungover:ental anatomy which i expected to be easy

Study DOs:learn dental decks atleast 4 times esp all the great info on the back.do all the ASDA papers.there r conflicting opinions rgding kaplan some say it is really good but i don't know becoz i didn't take the course,just had some notes a friend gave me.
Study DON'Ts:hungover:on't waste too much time with the theory part if you feel you are reasonably good in the subjects.i did that becoz i had lost touch completely and felt it would be good to have a strong base in the basic sciences.
Most important: keep a cool head on the day of the exam.

thank u so much dentek2 for posting ur advice.

congrats again on a great score and all the best with ur applications.

hey everyone!

please do post ur advice out here. it doesnt matter if u dint get the high score u expected ....at least u all took the exam and are through with it! do let us know what u learnt from the experience and post ur tips. thanks.

Overall Average:90

Cumulative Study Hours:four months..6 -8 hrs daily except weekends..last month 10 hrs daily including saturdays and few hrs on sundays too!!every one has varying pattern of stdying..follow whatever is best for you.

Recommended Studying Materials:hungover:ental decks are a boon..reprints and old theory text books..i found kaplan too confusing ..there is no flow between paragraphs in kaplan..

Most Difficult Section:biochem !give extra time for biochem it is always tough.compared to other subjects

Study DOs:hungover:ental decks 4 times before exams reprints 2 to 3 times and basic knowledge of theory from your old theory books..

Study DON'Ts:hungover:ont waste too much time on kaplan..i started with kaplan notes and wasted time doing theory rather than decks n reprints...
and last of all be positive!

thanks a lot for ur input pooja!:) and congrats again. all the best with ur applications.

Hi all!
Congratulations on your great results. I have just started studying for my NDB part1, I hope to take them in December. Is it possible to study and do well in 2 months. I know this is a very realtive question and it depends on an individuals ability to slog it out..but still humour me . I graduated from India, Bombay. I have started doing the decks and I think i can easily put in about 10 hours a day ..i dont have an option if i intend to take it in December. Is 2 months enough? help.I have all the study material you guys have mentioned. Would appreciate some advice !
Cheers!!:)

Hi mrinalini,
2 months is enough if you really put your mind to it.esp if you are in touch with the basic subjects.even otherwise it is ok.
Be thorough with the decks,read it atleast 4 times,use your theory texts for reference.and don't forget the ASDA Qtn papers.There were repeat Qtns from them in all the 4 subjects this july.
This is my humble advice but I am not an expert on NDB:)
Be confident and optimistic .I am sure sure you will make it, with top scores.
BEST OF LUCK......

hello dentek2,

congrats on ur great score.if u don't mind can u tell me u didi ur b.d.s from which college in india(cause the books u studied for part 1 sounded familiar to me and i also studied from same books)
thanks!!!!:)

hi smart dentist

could u post in your study tips in the format we have followed on this thread please? it would help those of us taking the test this december.

thanks!

anatomy-94
biochem-91
microbiology-93
dental anatomy-98
avg scores-94

cummulative study hours-
2 to 2and half months

study material-
dental decks,asda reprints.

most difficult section-
initially it was biochem ,but once i had studied it all subjects were equally difficult.
dental anatomy was really quite easy to study,but the exam was a whole different story.my scores do not reflect this but believe me the ppl who set the papers are not there to make anybodys life easier.......all of the sections were tough.

study dos-
wen u start it may take u time to get into the groove ,so dont get alarmed if u study for only 1 or 2 hrs.it takes a while for the momentum to build ,but wen it does be sure not to loose focus.
my husband was very supportive during the entire time.he wud give me mock exams on the weekends-he wud take print outs of the question papers and give me a fixed time limit to complete them.this way i did not waste weekends .
i studied the decks and the papers at least 3 times.

study donts-
well for me it is,that i shud not take a break during weekends,coz it disrupts my rhythm and i take longer to settle in the following monday.know what i mean?
study at least 2 or 3 hrs in the weekend.that way u wont be out of touch for 2 continuous days.

hope my reply is of use to someone.goodluck to all.

hi divya

thanks so much for posting ur tips on studying.

congrats on an amazing score by the way!!! way to go! :clap:

i wonder how the rest of us "wish-we-could-get-94's" will do!:D

Belated thank you for all the advice folks. I shall be taking myNDB part 1 in July though, as I cant take them in December due to unforseen circumstances. So that gives me way too much time...:D
Best of luck to all those taking it in December. Gr8 score Divya congratulations!!:clap:

Hi Parul,

This is Nidhi Gupta. I passed BDS from Govt dental college at patiala in 2002. I think you were my senior. Do you remember? I think you got married and came over here. Some one told me about you. I gave my part 1 in dec 2002. I going for various interviews these days. lets see. I got 89 on part1. 87 is a good score. But you need coaching for preclinical tests in California. Few days back I came over ther for intetview at LOma linda. Its crazy yaaar. We have not done the stuff back in India. Join duggans institute at Loma linda. Its very good, thugh a bit expensive. let me know if you need any help.

keep in touch,
Good luck,
Nidhi

Hi Parul,

This is Nidhi Gupta. I passed BDS from Govt dental college at patiala in 2002. I think you were my senior. Do you remember? I think you got married and came over here. Some one told me about you. I gave my part 1 in dec 2002. I going for various interviews these days. lets see. I got 89 on part1. 87 is a good score. But you need coaching for preclinical tests in California. Few days back I came over ther for intetview at LOma linda. Its crazy yaaar. We have not done the stuff back in India. Join duggans institute at Loma linda. Its very good, thugh a bit expensive. let me know if you need any help.

keep in touch,
Good luck,
Nidhi

hey docs
i have logged in just today.its a lovely informative site.i finished my part 1. it was ok.now what should i do regarding addmission now.
i m confused .give me advice abt how to proceed with addmission

hi ,
I got 89% avg . Is it of any use to apply to any dental school in CA after an yr r so , coz rite now im not plannin to join n I wud like to know , wer do I stand with this score .. or else I wud think of takin it again .. any help appreciated .
thanks
nident.

i got my patr -1 score
avg-90

anatomy-87
physio/biochem-90
patho/micro-91
da/dh-92

poojagulaya said:
I got my result yesterday.Got 90%

best of luck to all those who are expecting their results and applying to schools..
pooja
hi pooja,
im new to the us n have just started studying .could u plz tell me how to go abt studying.i also want to know if the ece evaluation plays a big part in admissions.

alino60 said:
I received my scores .

Anat/sci 80
bio/physio 76
micro/path 81
dent anat 88

please need advices.

thanks

hey!...i got the same score as urs..lemme know where u apllying..tell me even we hv a chance..i do not want to retake it...
i got a gpa of 3.93..tell me wht u up to..

wow u got amazing scores.could u pls suggest what text to study dental anatomy.thanx mina

priti said:
hi friends,
i got it....after a long waiting ,,,,
:clap: :clap: :clap:
i got 91!!!

i have posted same msg on the dental forum,but i dont think everyone will b looking at that....so i m posting it here also.
here is my scores..

Anatomical Sciences:90
Biochemistry/Physiology:85
Microbiology/Pathology:91
Dental Anatomy:97

Overall Average:91

Cumulative Study Hours:not strictly followed specific time table...but on avarage 5 hrs /day.(sunday off)

Recommended Studying Materials:hungover:ental decks,released examinations,kaplan's notes.

Most Difficult Section:biochemistry...i hate it:mad: (even my score show that :) )

Study DOs:
-i think if u go with decks & try to understand each & every line of it u wont have any problem.

-if u find any difficulty while preparing with papers try to get answer for that either from ur text books or on internet.

-kaplan note is also helpful as a review material.

Study DON'Ts:
-don't follo anybody blindly.
everyone has different ability & different style so better decide ur own way.

i think thats what i did.:)

i think we all have to post our part-1 scores in this thread only so one shd not have to go to all thread ,,,so pls do share ur score & experience here.