Part 1 NBDE scores and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!

i have started this thread so that all of u who have taken the part 1 in july 2003 can post your scores once u get them and post any advice u can give to the rest of us who will be giving the boards in december or later, such as reference books, time spent etc.

i believe yah-e has a similar thread in the "dental" forum but i thought a similar one in "international dental" would help.

please do make the effort to post ur scores in either of the threads so it helps everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

That's exactly what happened to me! I was so disappointed... But I don't think we stand a chance with it, I'm going to take it again... These days anything over 84 i think is good so... Let's hope for the best.
I studied from kaplan review and decks and past papers...

Hi
I got my result today and I am quite upset I have got only 78 inspite of studying so much.Now shall I retake the exam or shall I prepare for part 2?And also let me know the good study materials last time I studied first aid for part1 and ADA j to k set.
Shall I apply in any college for advance standing dental program because I dont see any chances of getting call.Please help me out.

That's exactly what happened to me! I was so disappointed... But I don't think we stand a chance with it, I'm going to take it again... These days anything over 84 i think is good so... Let's hope for the best.
I studied from kaplan review and decks and past papers...

I am sailing in the same boat guys ! I too scored an 82 in part 1 exam that i took recently ! Now I m confused whether to apply or retake the exam?????

If I retake the exam it is no longer going to be partial ,so coplete exam ,which is another $260 more ! Can't decide what to do next!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi gave exam part1 in 5-5-2008 and got a score of 79, my GPA is 3.33 by ece . toefl score is 90. i have a green card of usa. i want to apply to univ of chicago dental school for idp? has somone who has applied to, or trying to apply can reply me. what might be might be my chance of getting it. thankx in advance

hello..wanted to share my experience for nbde 1 since long....
gave my exams in March n actually had some probs receiving the score..got after one n half months..its 91
Dental Decks is the baseline. i read the previous posts n its so apt that everyones stressing the same.
[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences: 88
Biochemistry/Physiology:80
Microbiology/Pathology:79
Dental Anatomy:84
Overall Average:82 ?
Comp Score: 91

Cumulative Study Hours: 4months. with most of us its many years that we hv done our basic sciences.. but it was not a regular timetable study the entire 4 months...it took time to get into the groove n its in the last month, where i studied really hard..meaning for last month no weekend breaks. No. of hours m not sure, but its like its only nbde prep for the entire month n nothing else.

Recommended Studying Materials: dental decks..cant stress it further. did it 3 to 4 times. i started with kaplan n refrence books....then looked at sdn everyone stressing decks n then concentrated only on decks.

also an interesting thing, last month i had figured from sdn, that asda released papers sd be given. i started with the released paper, with a couple of papers i felt the scores were not that good..so i stopped all papers, did again decks, concentrating on the details in decks n in last week again gave only released papers. no time wasting on other unreleased or remembered stuff..they r not worth the effort. in that time rather u sd improve ur weak subjects (definitely from decks)

other than decks..whtever topic i felt difficult, i referred..kaplan..my own textbooks...n cleared the concept. if no books then wikipedia..this is the best tool to have a clear concept without going into the unnecessary details. but its equally important the concept is clear..
so u almost read other stuff while u memorize the decks.

Most Difficult Section:cant say with the mixed pattern. but most difficult aspect was many many questions had choice with like 2 options seeming to be the right answers. out of the 4 options, 2 may be correct but its just that one option is more probable. here ur clearing the concept may help.

Study DOs : the day before the exam be really relaxed, dont try anything new or any difficult topic. if u feel dental anatomy is easy..do that. n eat dinner properly n sleep really early. u may feel this tip a bit out of way cos everyone has different habits. but with this multiple choice exam its really really important that u r relaxed.

Study DON'Ts: just dont waste time with all the other books or even wiki...just understand from it n then memorize decks.

hey congrats ! :hardy: on a very nice scores u had to wait a long time but it really paid off ..... can u pls tell from where to read dental anatomy other than kaplan and how did u find q from this section easyor tough?...are there some topics which r not covered in dental decks like compensating curves, recording jaw relations etc and u could find em in the exam
pls that would really help
thanks and good luck for the admissions:thumbup:

Congrats on the great score!! I'm taking mine in July. I've been trying to study as hard as possible, but don't know if I'm going the right way. I'd like to know how you guys study for DA as well. I read DA from 1st Aid & Kaplan, but people say those are not good. I don't know what else I can read. My school used a crappy DA txt which is not worth looking at again. Thanks!

anatomy-94
biochem-91
microbiology-93
dental anatomy-98
avg scores-94

cummulative study hours-
2 to 2and half months

study material-
dental decks,asda reprints.

most difficult section-
initially it was biochem ,but once i had studied it all subjects were equally difficult.
dental anatomy was really quite easy to study,but the exam was a whole different story.my scores do not reflect this but believe me the ppl who set the papers are not there to make anybodys life easier.......all of the sections were tough.

study dos-
wen u start it may take u time to get into the groove ,so dont get alarmed if u study for only 1 or 2 hrs.it takes a while for the momentum to build ,but wen it does be sure not to loose focus.
my husband was very supportive during the entire time.he wud give me mock exams on the weekends-he wud take print outs of the question papers and give me a fixed time limit to complete them.this way i did not waste weekends .
i studied the decks and the papers at least 3 times.

study donts-
well for me it is,that i shud not take a break during weekends,coz it disrupts my rhythm and i take longer to settle in the following monday.know what i mean?
study at least 2 or 3 hrs in the weekend.that way u wont be out of touch for 2 continuous days.

hope my reply is of use to someone.goodluck to all.

hi
can you tell me what is asda reprints ?
thank you

gave my exams in March n actually had some probs receiving the score..got after one n half months..its 91
Dental Decks is the baseline. i read the previous posts n its so apt that everyones stressing the same.
[Standard Format]

Cumulative Study Hours: 4months. with most of us its many years that we hv done our basic sciences.. but it was not a regular timetable study the entire 4 months...it took time to get into the groove n its in the last month, where i studied really hard..meaning for last month no weekend breaks. No. of hours m not sure, but its like its only nbde prep for the entire month n nothing else.

Recommended Studying Materials: dental decks..cant stress it further. did it 3 to 4 times. i started with kaplan n refrence books....then looked at sdn everyone stressing decks n then concentrated only on decks.

also an interesting thing, last month i had figured from sdn, that asda released papers sd be given. i started with the released paper, with a couple of papers i felt the scores were not that good..so i stopped all papers, did again decks, concentrating on the details in decks n in last week again gave only released papers. no time wasting on other unreleased or remembered stuff..they r not worth the effort. in that time rather u sd improve ur weak subjects (definitely from decks)

other than decks..whtever topic i felt difficult, i referred..kaplan..my own textbooks...n cleared the concept. if no books then wikipedia..this is the best tool to have a clear concept without going into the unnecessary details. but its equally important the concept is clear..

Most Difficult Section:cant say with the mixed pattern. but most difficult aspect was many many questions had choice with like 2 options seeming to be the right answers. out of the 4 options, 2 may be correct but its just that one option is more probable. here ur clearing the concept may help.

Study DOs : the day before the exam be really relaxed, dont try anything new or any difficult topic. if u feel dental anatomy is easy..do that. n eat dinner properly n sleep really early. u may feel this tip a bit out of way cos everyone has different habits. but with this multiple choice exam its really really important that u r relaxed.

Study DON'Ts: just dont waste time with all the other books or even wiki...just understand from it n then memorize decks.
hi..are you a foreign trained dentist???
could you please` share your raw scores???
thank you..

porcelain 258 and catfish....... DA i did from decks..then made a table of my own keeping decks as base, table of most/least/longest/shortest...........also added anything new in this table from kaplan or any question of released paper. DA questions i had in nbde were appx 90% from decks n the rest i dont think were even there in kaplan book or the qbank.
the DA questions were easy but as i have earlier mentioned..options were very tricky, especially for DA. eg the most common missing tooth...options were..upper 3rd molar, lower 3rd molar, upper lateral incisor, 2nd premolar. now the decks has the answer as upper 3rd molar. no doubts this is a simpler example i m giving...the more confusing ones i dont remember. so i think preparing DA with ur own table really helps. n in this table u can always write down in an ascending or descending order. so the confusing options wont bother u.

docsmiley..yes i m a foreign trained dentist! n as of the raw scores, infact i hv a doubt. if u look at my raw scores, n those of the other who have posted theirs in this thread, i really cant figure how my comp score is 91 while probably my raw score is lower than theirs. i hope u r getting my point. pls do tell me if u can understand

n porcelain 258 thanks for looking n replying for the raw scores!!!!

porcelain 258 and catfish....... DA i did from decks..then made a table of my own keeping decks as base, table of most/least/longest/shortest...........also added anything new in this table from kaplan or any question of released paper. DA questions i had in nbde were appx 90% from decks n the rest i dont think were even there in kaplan book or the qbank.
the DA questions were easy but as i have earlier mentioned..options were very tricky, especially for DA. eg the most common missing tooth...options were..upper 3rd molar, lower 3rd molar, upper lateral incisor, 2nd premolar. now the decks has the answer as upper 3rd molar. no doubts this is a simpler example i m giving...the more confusing ones i dont remember. so i think preparing DA with ur own table really helps. n in this table u can always write down in an ascending or descending order. so the confusing options wont bother u.

docsmiley..yes i m a foreign trained dentist! n as of the raw scores, infact i hv a doubt. if u look at my raw scores, n those of the other who have posted theirs in this thread, i really cant figure how my comp score is 91 while probably my raw score is lower than theirs. i hope u r getting my point. pls do tell me if u can understand

hi born2bdentist
thanks for ur valuable reply and also 4 sharing ur experience
i was a bit bothered about DA becoz i found the q in this section really tough when i appeared for the exam in march.... maybe i took this subject as an easier one and so took it as granted and got the least scores in this.....
good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
[Standard Format]

Hello,thank you very much born2bdentist for sharing your experience with us. Have you been studying full time during those 4 months or have you been working and studying? and how many hours(avarage) did you study every day. Though I know it's different form person to person, but it would give an idea

Thank you

Thank you so much for the reply Born2bedentist!!! I really appreciate your advice.

I'm concerned with DA too Porcelain 258. Are there still lots picture questions asking which cusp is moving along the arrowheads or Posselt's envelope? I heard people say there're no such picture questions on DA anymore. I don't know if it's true. That'll make a difference to my score for sure.

hi catfish
i didn't find any diagramatic Q in the exam ...rather hardly any Q on occlusion which i was very well prepared for:mad:
but quite a few questions were from outside the material which we all r studying....even i dont know where to read that from but just concentrating on what we already have
good luck

Hi sravan
thanks for letting us know abt yr scores.needed advice from you and from others, i got 84 in nbde 1.I know its not a great score, i know i should take it again.but just want to know ,can i apply to schools with this score.pls advice .thanks.

good luck Sravan with the admission
u have been a great help for a lot of people on this forum ..i remember i used to post questions and u answered me right away :)
all the best for u ...where are u planning to apply ?

congrats to borntobedentist and sravan! that was the useful tips from borntobedentist and how abt you you sravan. Disclose your secret success recipes to us so that we could also taste the success. Hard work will definitely pay for your admissions.

Guys,
Thanks for the wishes. I will be applying only to BU.
Personally, I am not pleased with my exam performance. I made several blunders in the exam. Anyways, the only advice I can give to others is to not commit silly mistakes (SILLY = straightforward questions, that you s'd never get confused on).
Don't spend too much time on studying hi-fi stuff, get your basics correct. Study, cell biology & Immunology, Aminoacids, Nucleic acids, structure of proteins, histology and neuroanatomy etc.
If I were to take the exam again, I know exactly what and how to prepare. Good luck!

Guys,
Thanks for the wishes. I will be applying only to BU.
Personally, I am not pleased with my exam performance. I made several blunders in the exam. Anyways, the only advice I can give to others is to not commit silly mistakes (SILLY = straightforward questions, that you s'd never get confused on).
Don't spend too much time on studying hi-fi stuff, get your basics correct. Study, cell biology & Immunology, Aminoacids, Nucleic acids, structure of proteins, histology and neuroanatomy etc.
If I were to take the exam again, I know exactly what and how to prepare. Good luck!

Sravan

Can you please elaborate more on score that you got? Do they mention # of correct answers, Raw score or standard score in new pattern? It looks like some people in other thread got 322 correct answers and got even below 86%. So it will help others to understand what is happening.

Thanks

Hello All

I got my score few days ago.I got a 78.
I am thoroughly disappointed.
I dnt knw whts the marking scale like.
I have 270/400 and was hoping to get a much better score.
I was wondering if the score audit(rechecking)helps.
Does anybody have any idea??
What I see frm threads above is tht the avg score looks low,but then again there are people scoring above 90.
Where do people like me scoring in upper 70 stand?

Can somebody point out the main areas(TOPICS) in part1 NBDE where the boards are stressing MORE ?:rolleyes:

thanks for all your appreciation and good wishes...wish you all a very good luck

hi rodent
congrats for an excellent score
I am appearin for NBD I again,first time ,got an 80 only.
i am very anxious,how to go @ it.

Cd u please advice
I would really appreciate it.

thanks

[Standard Format]

Hi born2bdentist
Thanks a lot for the wonderful advice as how to study
But i have a problem,
I have to give my NBD I again in a month.
The first time i studied for ,just 20 days and got an 80.
i knw its still not at all a good score.

i need to know how shd i improve.
i have scored less in biochem/physio.

Also i do not understand at all the scoring avg what e'one on this post are talkin @/
Cd u please advice wat shd i do..am really anxious...

I would really appreciate if you would reply..

thanks

Hi priti
First congrats on ur gr8 score!!!
I am appearin for NBD I again
am very anxious ...as i do not knw how to go about it..

Cd u please advice me?

Also i do not understand the scorin system
the score and national mean?

I am supposed to take exam in a month

I really need advice

I would really appreciate if you would reply.

Awaitin ur response

Thanks

hi friends,
i got it....after a long waiting ,,,,
:clap: :clap: :clap:
i got 91!!!

i have posted same msg on the dental forum,but i dont think everyone will b looking at that....so i m posting it here also.
here is my scores..

Anatomical Sciences:90
Biochemistry/Physiology:85
Microbiology/Pathology:91
Dental Anatomy:97

Overall Average:91

Cumulative Study Hours:not strictly followed specific time table...but on avarage 5 hrs /day.(sunday off)

Recommended Studying Materials:hungover:ental decks,released examinations,kaplan's notes.

Most Difficult Section:biochemistry...i hate it:mad: (even my score show that :) )

Study DOs:
-i think if u go with decks & try to understand each & every line of it u wont have any problem.

-if u find any difficulty while preparing with papers try to get answer for that either from ur text books or on internet.

-kaplan note is also helpful as a review material.

Study DON'Ts:
-don't follo anybody blindly.
everyone has different ability & different style so better decide ur own way.

i think thats what i did.:)

i think we all have to post our part-1 scores in this thread only so one shd not have to go to all thread ,,,so pls do share ur score & experience here.

Do you recommend using the Kaplan Q bank ? What about Exam Master? I dont know about others but Exam Master questions (only did micro/path) are harder for me and they are pretty much all case problems esp. in the Micro/Pathoology section. Do you know if the kaplan Q bank is good and is like the real test? Anybody know where I can get old released exams?

I am going over the info through decks and othe reference books, but I need a way to test myself.

Thank you all.

hi guys..... wot do u all feel bout the new scores? i mean as far as i can see.... alot of people are scoring 83 and 84.... im one of them too...... and just a few with very high scores.....
so this way the applicant pool for this year will be like this.. and people with scores in early 80`s will stand a chance???
please state ur views

hi..yes a lot are scoring in low 80's...and inspite of having good raw scores..people are rarely able to reach 90 and above...i have a good feeling that, this year..the average score will be down by 2 grades...and most of the old pattern scorers have got admission this year..so the competition will mostly be amongst the new test takers...
please post your scores..those who have taken the test...
thanks..

It seems like the exam has no pattern at all. Even if you study more and more to prepare for a retake, you can't really anticipate to get a much higher score. I am curious to know how all these people in 90s managed to get those scores? Do you need to have a certain sixth sense to get all those hard questions right?..
I am not sure if I should go for a retake or not.. I am afraid I might go from pass to fail and get thrown out of the clinic..

I see many posts saying that deck is the WAY. I myself have looked at it like 3 times, and yet, got a mediocre score in the low 80s..

I apologize if anyone is annoyed by this post.

hey onepercent... i totally agree with you..... i mean after working realy hard for 4 months... wot i get is an 83..... doing everything.... decks, questions, kaplan review book, text books, etc...
but i must agree i was under a lot of stress wen i took the exam... and 2 nights before the exam i just could not sleep.... so i practically took the exam with no sleep at all..... it drove me nuts...
i dunno... but i say just go ahead and apply.. coz actualy wot i feel is that the applicant pool will have a lot of people scoring 80`s... and that too early 80`s...... how far this will be true i dont know untill we actualy face it..... but i am also thinking bout retaking it... but the thing is i just cant start studying again... i mean its just too much....

hi guys, i appeared for my part 1 on 10th of june and got my scores on the 22nd of june. have scored 90 :)
anatomy- 81
biochemistry- 78 (hated this subject)
dental anatomy- 86
microbiology- 84

hi guys, i appeared for my part 1 on 10th of june and got my scores on the 22nd of june. have scored 90 :)
anatomy- 81
dental anatomy- 86
microbiology- 84

congratulations toothydoc! really good scores
all the best 4 the admissions

anatomy- 81
dental anatomy- 86
microbiology- 84

that's great toothdoc!!!
what did you study with?
my test is in 3 weeks....
can you give me some advice how to use my time from now on???
I'm scared... :scared:

anatomy- 81
dental anatomy- 86
microbiology- 84
Hi toothydoc,congratulations :thumbup: on ur success.Even i m going to take my exam next month.Plz give me some tips on how to prepare well for the coming exam.What all books did u follow? plz help ur colleagues:)

thank you for your wishes. i basically relied a lot on the decks and the released exam papers. in fact, in the last 2 weeks, i just studied from the decks and went through the released exam papers plus some notes which i had made. even referred to kaplans dentessentials but i personally feel that it is basically a repetition of decks.

thank you for your wishes. i basically relied a lot on the decks and the released exam papers. in fact, in the last 2 weeks, i just studied from the decks and went through the released exam papers plus some notes which i had made. even referred to kaplans dentessentials but i personally feel that it is basically a repetition of decks.
Thanx a lot for ur valuable advice.I wud like to ask u that for which all topics did u find kaplans dentessentials good? coz i went thru that book once and found it all the way more tough than kaplans review book as well as the decks,so i jus kept that book aside.Is the biochem part given in decks enuf for exam as many of them were complaining abt the biochem part in the exam.Plz reply :confused: ASAP

Hi priti,
Congrats on ur score. its like a boost to us that its possible.
I had a query, did u do all old ASDA papers, say right from 1977 or only the latest. kindly help :confused:

Ok, this coming monday, June 30th it will be 4 weeks ago that I took my exam. Why do you think it is taking so long when others who took it a week later have already received theirs. Please let me know what you have heard. I am starting to get worried! I can't apply for any residencies until I have those scores.:confused:

hi friends,
i got it....after a long waiting ,,,,
:clap: :clap: :clap:
i got 91!!!

i have posted same msg on the dental forum,but i dont think everyone will b looking at that....so i m posting it here also.
here is my scores..

Anatomical Sciences:90
Biochemistry/Physiology:85
Microbiology/Pathology:91
Dental Anatomy:97

Overall Average:91

Cumulative Study Hours:not strictly followed specific time table...but on avarage 5 hrs /day.(sunday off)

Recommended Studying Materials:hungover:ental decks,released examinations,kaplan's notes.

Most Difficult Section:biochemistry...i hate it:mad: (even my score show that :) )

Study DOs:
-i think if u go with decks & try to understand each & every line of it u wont have any problem.

-if u find any difficulty while preparing with papers try to get answer for that either from ur text books or on internet.

-kaplan note is also helpful as a review material.

Study DON'Ts:
-don't follo anybody blindly.
everyone has different ability & different style so better decide ur own way.

i think thats what i did.:)

i think we all have to post our part-1 scores in this thread only so one shd not have to go to all thread ,,,so pls do share ur score & experience here.
Hi,
I have just started my NBDE part I preparations. Please tell me where to find the released questions. Also please advice about the correctness in starting the studies and question solving at the same time.
Thank you.

Hi to everyone,

I am about to start studying for the NBDE Part I (I am an international dentist, though). Any suggestions for study materials and necessary time to prepare adequately (although it is a relative question:).
thanks.