part -1 in july 2004...........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gpg said:
I know not too many of us love mathematics(I do but ....)....and don't remember everything......but I am sure u all will remember addition and subtraction ....so when I say do NOT....not do the papers .....I mean....do not leave the papers aside......in simple words.....DO the papers.....sorry if I confused you all.....

I have already taken the Part I once and that time had only scanned the papers.......and that helped me get 84......this time I am also reading the High Yield series for Biochem,Micro and Neuroanatomy....all are good and I highly recommend them...specially the Biochem one....for those with time,the Lippincott text for Biochem is a must.

But we all HAVE to have the Decks and the papers absolutely by heart....so when any of the questions are repeated we can solve those without wasting any time and use that for the new ones.....

All the best!
Thanks gpg ..for clearing that up!!!.. :D
I would like to know from students who are preparing for part1..about revisions..about asda papers..suppose I take a paper and I have made 20 mistakes..in them..when and how do I go about solving them and learning them ..why the answer is correct and rest of the choices are wrong? ..there are 4000 odd questions in asda papers..and ..should I note down the questions seperately and study them later..no time ..Im feeling so lost!! :confused:
Any suggestions will be really helpful.
Thanks
Toothzone

Members don't see this ad.

Toothzone said:
I would like to know from students who are preparing for part1..about revisions..about asda papers..suppose I take a paper and I have made 20 mistakes..in them..when and how do I go about solving them and learning them ..why the answer is correct and rest of the choices are wrong? ..there are 4000 odd questions in asda papers..and ..should I note down the questions seperately and study them later..no time ..Im feeling so lost!! :confused:
Thanks
Toothzone
For once..if you are making only 20 mistakes, consider yourself AMAZING! Speaking of the wrong answer part, well, Since I am reading from the CD, I use the search function to get the answers..It would be impossible for a guy with papers to do that..But I DO recommend making a note of the wrong answers and finding out the reasoning behind the right answers before you move to the next set of question papers..esp since questions are repeated

Toothzone said:
Thanks
Toothzone
well...i do that......

i write the points seperately..........
all the best....
do well
may GOd bless u

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering...Has anyone heard from the ADA? It's been quite some time since I sent my application to ADA. The only letter I got was that my application had been help up and they were waiting to hear from the ECE about me..Has anyone got the hall ticket or something like that?

They haven't decided to cancel the July NBDE part 1 just becoz people like me are trying to take it I hope :(

Hi,
You only get your admission ticket 2 weeks before your exams...!!!
Chill and relax..
Seems people are really doing well in the computer based..anyone else taken it?...92 /98 ..dream scores!!!!!!!!! :D
Toothzone

Toothzone said:
Thanks
Toothzone

Hi gpg

If i was u then i would note all the wrong questions and look up for the correct answers, either in the text books or post it in the thread here so people can help u.
And i think if u r solving a question and there r 4 answers and u read the explanation and read y the 3 were not the right answer it is just ur revision ,or u can learn something new which would help u later on.
Dont worry we all r in the same spot just gather up ur though and start doing the papers ur r going to be fine.

R u doing the 89 & 91 past papers ? i thought they were too old so i am going to stick with 97 & 98 ones.

Well if it helps than if u have only 20 wrong answers in one paper u will score

95 antomy
95 Bio/physio
96 Patho
87 dental anatomy

Well this conversion is according to 98 released papers, so ur in a PRETTY GOOD shape, :D what more can u ask for

bond

Hey I have the all the papers released till 96......and got the 98 one from the USC site.....but you say u have the 97 one too.....where did u get that from......

gpg said:
Hey I have the all the papers released till 96......and got the 98 one from the USC site.....but you say u have the 97 one too.....where did u get that from......
even i have 98 one.........97?????

gpg said:

gpg

I ordered the released papers from ada and i have 3 of them released in 89,91,97 .

do u think i should go through the 89 and 91 papers too :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bond

Even I bought from asda, & I have totally 10 sets of Q&A reprints starting from A-J(97)

Apart from the 98 (freely downloadable) do u guys have MORE Q&A reprints?:scared:

:(( I don't have 97. I thought after '96, '98 was released

Ok so here are the facts..I was approached by a guy who was willing to sell me the unreleased question papers..He had '97 [unreleased according to him] and yr 2000 question papers..But he was demanding Rs 2500 for it

Please note that buying unreleased question paper is illegal ;)

hi guys . im in brooklyn . studying full time for boards part one . i would suggest u all esp those who r thinking of coming to us that they should put their heads down and study other wise its gonna b lik u know wastage of money and effort .

little tips try focusing on decks and old papers if u get time go thru the kaplan reviews. kaplan is good in some areas lik da and physio but for bio and anatomy stick to the text books.

again time is money so get the most out of it and in the end let me tell u one thing i have met a lot of ppl over here with over 85 in part one and still no luck into the dental school . so if u r out of state residents then look for some where near 90 plus in part one.

well cheer up they say that one the going gets tough .. tough gets the going .

WELL DA COMES with this special offer..........one wrong get 3 wrong free.....
da sucks.....what to do??
i can not remember root curvatures......pulp chambers...... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
HI......EUREKA !EUREKA!

to do those movements in DA.......what u can do is go to prostho or ortho deptt of ur coll......pour ideal casts and then try those movements on them.....u can use ideal dentures we made in 2nd year..........works great...
all the best
do well

hi how come no one is around these days.......guess even i need to do the disappearing act......see ya guys.......all the best.......may GOD bless all.....

Just started with revison..anatomy seems to be going really slow ..kaplan sems like new!!..how is everyone else doing? :(
Toothzone

HI there....about function of pulp the answer is Formation of dentin....as in thats the PRIMARY function....the others are also funcs of pulp no doubt....u see the odontoblasts in the dental papilla lay down the first layer of dentin(Mantle) which acts as a stimulus for the formation of Enamel....and later on the entire layer of Dentin is laid down.....also as some one mentioned,Dentin is laid down as long as the tooth is vital=pulp is present....

In other words....no formation of Dentin by pulp=no enamel=no tooth......then who cares about the other functions.....

hi ,
how is it going.1n1/2 months more.
any idea when we might get our haltickets.did anyone recieve it?please do post in this thread.

You will get your addmission tickets about 2 weeks before the exam.

Question from Anat '89 {Paper =I}
Which of the following differentiate cementum from enamel?

a The presence of collagen fibers
b The absence of incremental lines
c The cellular component in the mature tissue
d The derivation from the epithelial root sheath (Hertwig)

My guess was 'b' But the answer is 'a' and 'c' huh? I thought Enamel did have a cellular component however small...Since when did cementum start having incremental lines?

p.s Hey Dental Supremo, By the time my hall ticket arrives, I guess I would have finished chewing my toe nails too.

Another one from the same paper..question 97
Which of the following arteries is NOT derived from the celiac trunk or its branches
1 Left gastric
2 Short gastric,
3 Gastroduodenal
4 Left gastroepiploic
5 Inferior pancreaticoduodenal

The answer according to the key is '4' But my deck says that L. Gastroepiploic is a branch of Splenic art. which itself is a branch of Celiac trunk. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

AjayDas said:
Question from Anat '89 {Paper =I}
Which of the following differentiate cementum from enamel?

a The presence of collagen fibers
b The absence of incremental lines
c The cellular component in the mature tissue
d The derivation from the epithelial root sheath (Hertwig)

My guess was 'b' But the answer is 'a' and 'c' huh? I thought Enamel did have a cellular component however small...Since when did cementum start having incremental lines?

p.s Hey Dental Supremo, By the time my hall ticket arrives, I guess I would have finished chewing my toe nails too.

the answers given are correct ajay. the explanation being that

"c" because cementum is both acellular and cellular types- cellular is more in the apical region and compensates for attrition and any physiologic changes, ie., cementum has viable cementoblasts etc. in it even in the fully formed state. enamel has no viable cells once fully formed. the ameloblasts just form the matrix in the initial phase. the enamel is otherwise mineralized (96% inorganic if u remember from the decks).

"a" - cementum has collagen fibers. remember that sharpeys fibers are perpendicular and internal structure fibers are parallel to the cemental layer.

"b" doesnt differentiate the two- since cementum and enamel have incremental lines demonstrated by microscopic sections. and anything that has periodic deposition or resorption is bound to have incremental lines and cementum is deposited whenever the need arises throughout life (cellular cementum does this). enamel has those lines too. so both are alike here.

and the origin from hertwig's epithelial root sheath can be ruled out anyway since some components of hertwigs sheath have actually arisen from two layers of the enamel epithelium of the enamel organ.

AjayDas said:
Another one from the same paper..question 97
Which of the following arteries is NOT derived from the celiac trunk or its branches
1 Left gastric
2 Short gastric,
3 Gastroduodenal
4 Left gastroepiploic
5 Inferior pancreaticoduodenal

The answer according to the key is '4' But my deck says that L. Gastroepiploic is a branch of Splenic art. which itself is a branch of Celiac trunk. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The correct answers is 5. The answer given is wrong.

There are usually three primary branches of the celiac trunk:
1. left gastric
2. splenic
3. common hepatic

Left Gastric
-esophageal branches
-branches to the left part of the lesser curvature of the stomach

Splenic
-pancreatic branches
-short gastric
-left gastroepiploic
-splenic branches

Common Hepatic
-gastroduodenal
-superior pancreatic duodenal
-right gastroepiploic
-proper hepatic
-left hepatic
-right hepatic
-cystic

the inferior pancreaticoduodenal is a branch of the superior mesenteric artery.

Just after the superior mesenteric artery passes behind the neck of the pancreas, it starts giving off its branches (it is always possible to have slight variations to the branching pattern):
-inferior pancreaticoduodenal
-middle colic - to the transverse colon
-right colic - to ascending colon
-ileocecal - to last part of ileum, cecum, and appendix
-intestinal branches - to jejunum and ileum

The middle, right, and ileocecal branches anastomose with each other to form a "marginal" artery along the inner border of the colon. This artery is completed by branches of the left colic which is a branch of the inferior mesenteric.

The inferior mesenteric artery supplies the large intestine from the left colic (or splenic) flexure to the upper part of the rectum. Its does this through the following branches:
-left colic
-sigmoid branches
-superior rectal

toothmail said:
"b" doesnt differentiate the two- since cementum and enamel have incremental lines demonstrated by microscopic sections. and anything that has periodic deposition or resorption is bound to have incremental lines and cementum is deposited whenever the need arises throughout life (cellular cementum does this). enamel has those lines too. so both are alike here.
wow....u explained it so nicely toothmail :clap: n it's really gr8 that u remember all these things so well after supersaturating ur brain with part-2 subjects :clap: ...even I was of the opinion that "b''is correct.....it's all really news to me :)
as u r done with ur part-2 guess I can bother u asking my doubts ;)
once again Good Luck with ur part-2 scores :luck:

thanks wiztooth. good luck to u too.

toothmail said:
The correct answers is 5. The answer given is wrong.

There are usually three primary branches of the celiac trunk:
1. left gastric
2. splenic
3. common hepatic

Left Gastric
-esophageal branches
-branches to the left part of the lesser curvature of the stomach

Splenic
-pancreatic branches
-short gastric
-left gastroepiploic
-splenic branches

Common Hepatic
-gastroduodenal
-superior pancreatic duodenal
-right gastroepiploic
-proper hepatic
-left hepatic
-right hepatic
-cystic

the inferior pancreaticoduodenal is a branch of the superior mesenteric artery.

Just after the superior mesenteric artery passes behind the neck of the pancreas, it starts giving off its branches (it is always possible to have slight variations to the branching pattern):
-inferior pancreaticoduodenal
-middle colic - to the transverse colon
-right colic - to ascending colon
-ileocecal - to last part of ileum, cecum, and appendix
-intestinal branches - to jejunum and ileum

The middle, right, and ileocecal branches anastomose with each other to form a "marginal" artery along the inner border of the colon. This artery is completed by branches of the left colic which is a branch of the inferior mesenteric.

The inferior mesenteric artery supplies the large intestine from the left colic (or splenic) flexure to the upper part of the rectum. Its does this through the following branches:
-left colic
-sigmoid branches
-superior rectal

Wow no wonder that U got 96 in part 1! :wow:

The anatomy can be best approached with the help of a anatomy Atlas which u can issue from any public library.
Study decks/text following the route in the atlas and u will never forget.
hope this helps.
sree

hi , is it true that te exam pattern has changed ?? is it so , then how ? i happened to take te kaplan online course which gave me all questions which were clinically related , as in , not as the ones in previous qstn papers at all .. is it clinically oriented now or te same as te prev qstn papers ? cud anyone clarify this .. thanks , im plannin to take it in tis July ..
thanks
n All the Best to all out ter who are preparing ...
take care
ann.

Thanks toothmail...Really appreciate it..

p.s Hey send me your address and I will send you a "My best teacher"Card :) Grrr..I gotta go and snatch the card from my teacher back in college..If only she had explained it so well...

dentaldoc said:
Wow no wonder that U got 96 in part 1! :wow:

nope i got 94 and thats not too great nowadays!

good luck guys.... part 1 is okay. so dont get too worried. do well!!! :luck:

i hate this uncertainity and this feeling of i am dumbest of all......

toothmail said:
nope i got 94 and thats not too great nowadays!

good luck guys.... part 1 is okay. so dont get too worried. do well!!! :luck:

still, 94 is a dream score for me :)
so did u join any school yet?

Hi,
How is it going ...all of you ..the revision seems to go quite slowly ..Hope that Im able to revise more before exams ..july 12th seems all to near now!!!
I have a doubt with regards to July 1982 I-F packet ..61 question
Removal of the anterior lobe of pituitary gland results in
Choices
Diabetes
loss of capacity to oxidise fat
loss of capacity to oxidise sugar
increased sensitivity to insulin

can some kindly explain this answer??
Thanks
Toothzone :confused:

Hai toothzone,

I think the answer to u'r question is increased sensitivity to insulin.
As far as my reasoning goes i guess it's b'coz of ACTH defeciency due to removal of anterior lobe.This coz's reduced /absence of glucocorticoid activity.
One of the function of glucocorticoids is to reduce the sensitivity to insulin n increase glucagon release from pancreas.Hence without the glucocorticoids[predominantly cortisol] there is increased sensitivity to insulin.

I may not be correct also. :D I suggest u wait for somemore inputs .

Lotza luck
gorur :thumbup:

you could have explained it better......way to go.....I feel u r on the target!

Kodus to you Gorur..You are bang on target..Nothing more to be added to the explaination.

hi everybody !!
i am visiting this site after quite a time..(was bsy preparing for part 1 in july...well, at least i thought soo !!)
reading this thread really scared the ****s out of me !! god !! i too have started with the revision, but things do look pretty much serious with all u ppl !! nd all this makes me ask myself 'wt the hell have i been doing sooo long !!??'
ohhh... i better get back to my BOOKS !!
am joining this revision group too,pls.. pls somebody help me with DA.
thanks...mita. :confused:

good luck

hi there......long time ......y no one is around......i guess all have got into the groove..........all the best to all......
b/w.....wiz,gorur.boggu,ajay,gpg,how r u guys doing.............

HeyMeetlife,
Doing O.k....how about you?Thanks for remembering :) ...as the the days are nearing guess there is this tension growing within,to do well.It was really nice to see your posts in Daily motivation , just what I needed to keep it going...was so glad to see my thread active again.How is your studies going on?Do well & wish you the very best.SDN is a great motivator to start the day with a positive note,yes it gives the power for one to make wishes come true...God be with all of us & hopefully we will all come out with flying colours.Good luck! :luck:

hello buddy,
how ya doing...?Ya here we are trying to get some seriousness as the exam is approaching :oops: As u know we can call up ADA n inquire abt the status of our application n whether they received ur ECE report etc,etc....so if u want anything plz do mail me n I'll find abt it.Study well...take care...Good Luck in everything :luck: :thumbup:

Leaving tomorrow to Delhi for the Visa..God help the Canadian Counsulate ;)
I am getting a bit tensed about the Visa since a few people have been denied already. That's eating into my study time.. I hope to start studying seriously once I get that beautiful little thingy in my Passport.
I finished I-G[micro-path] today. I keep getting 20-26 mistakes in all the papers..:(I don't thing that would fetch me above 90s in part one...esp with people like Lasjy,Meetlife,Wiztooth,Boggu and GPG in the fray :D:D What you guys having for breakfast? Idhar brain ko petrol flow hi nahin hondha hai ;)

And I thought AjayDas will have the best brains as he must be having lotsa fish,which is supposed to be good for the brains.....may be he is a veggie....just kidding.....relax AD....you will do well....am sure you will....keep your spirits high!

AjayDas said:
(I don't thing that would fetch me above 90s in part one...esp with people like Lasjy,Meetlife,Wiztooth,Boggu and GPG in the fray :D:D What you guys having for breakfast? Idhar brain ko petrol flow hi nahin hondha hai ;)
Aww..... :oops: am pretty embarassed here buddy :oops:
My intuition says that you can do really well n ur current fuel will be more than sufficient :) .....Hope all of us can achieve that dream score :luck:
Also Good Luck with your visa......hope u get a female counsulate so that u can make her stamp on ur passport with ur charming personality ;) :cool:

hi guys ;
i would really appreciate it if some could help me wiht these question 's as in how to solve these
1.) in an aqueous solution at ph 7,a peptide contiianing 1 amino acid gorup side chian and 2 carboxly side chians would have which of the following net charges

a.>2+ , b.> 1+, c.> 0, d.> 1-, e> 2-

2.)auusiming that P50=26torrs, under conditons where pO=30 torrs , the avarege number of molecules of oxygen moleclues bound per hemogolbin molecule is close to

a.> 0.5, b.>less than 1 , c.> almost 2 , d.> greater than 2 , 3.> greaterthan 3

kosha said:
hi guys ;
i would really appreciate it if some could help me wiht these question 's as in how to solve these
1.) in an aqueous solution at ph 7,a peptide contiianing 1 amino acid gorup side chian and 2 carboxly side chians would have which of the following net charges

a.>2+ , b.> 1+, c.> 0, d.> 1-, e> 2-

The answer to that is D (-1). The reasoning is that amino acid groups are positively charged, while carboxyl side chains are negatively charged (OH-). Therefore, one positive and two negatives is the simple equation of -2 + 1, which equals -1, or choice D.

kosha said:
2.)auusiming that P50=26torrs, under conditons where pO=30 torrs , the avarege number of molecules of oxygen moleclues bound per hemogolbin molecule is close to

a.> 0.5, b.>less than 1 , c.> almost 2 , d.> greater than 2 , 3.> greaterthan 3

To answer this problem correctly, you must know the oxygen dissociation equation for hemoglobin, as well as the n for hemoglobin. The equation to solve for y looks like this:

(pO2)^n

y is the fractional occupancy of oxygen binding sites and is what the question is looking for.

p50 is the partial pressure of oxygen that allows 50% of the sites to be filled.

pO2 is the partial pressure of unbound oxygen.

n for hemoglobin is 2.8. Notice that each of those above items is raised to the power of n, or 2.8.

So, putting in the numbers yields y = 60%. That corresponds with choice D because for each hemoglobin molecule there are more than 2 oxygen molecules bound since the hemoglobin that is available is more than 50% saturated with oxygen.

Thanks Neha for the info..I am waiting desperately for it. I leave India on the 7'th of July. They had given me quite a scare by announcing that they dispatch the IDs only 2 wks before the examination.

p.s to make matters worse, I mistook your location [Oregon] for Gurgaon for 5 minutes and was jumping up and down with excitement thinking that mine would reach within a day or two :D

In case you do not get your card:

1)call up the ADA and confirm which centre has been alloted to you and get your reference number

2)Go to the exam with 2 photo IDs.....they will issue you a new admit card on the spot.Ya carry a pic also.

Thats more than enough.Don't bother about such trivial things.Concentrate on the exam. Wish u all the best!

hey guys,
i got my admit card today. u can call the ndbe , they tell u exactly whn they have dispatched the admit card, mine came exactly whn they said itr would.
last 2 weeks left for the exam . how r u folks studying. all the best every1.
:luck: :luck: