Parenting...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea that you have to justify yourself is often an illusion. Alot of the pressures I felt to do this or that when I was younger are gone now. The bottom line is, you are ultimately accountable to yourself more than anyone else in this world. You family or people in general may expect you to do things, but that is because they want you to be happy or expect that you want to be happy and sometimes just don't get that their view on happiness and how to obtain it doesn't necessarily fit everyone.

I pretty much gave other people's ideas on my happiness the big eff you when I got divorced. I was so worried about disappointing people, especially my mom, but it turned out that I was not her primary concern. I told her I was moving out of my house and she said "well you can't stay with me!" She'd started dating her now husband and he'd been staying over, but she didn't want anyone to know yet b/c she was all religious-y and they met at church. Anyway, my point is that sometimes we overestimate how big of a deal it is for us to conform to other people's expectations - both my mom and I did.
Thank you for sharing your story.
It's comforting to know that there are people out there who have dealt with a similar kind of problem.

Members don't see this ad.

So pharmacists shouldn't be logical when they counsel their patients? I guess it's ok then for a pharmacist to recommend Sudafed to a patient with uncontrolled high blood pressure, because the pharmacist likes Sudafed and thinks it's a great decongestant. The pharmacist isn't being immoral or doing anything illegal by suggesting Sudafed. His decision to recommend Sudafed to a patient with uncontrolled hypertension was irrational because of the implications that exist in that situation. No matter how much he loves Sudafed, the pharmacist will be held accountable when his patient dies of a myocardial infarction if the pharmacist acted carelessly.

The only point that I'm trying to make is that you should think about what you just said... that's all.

And be sure when you recommend an appropriate OTC that you don't do so with concrern, a smile, or any emotion whatsoever b/c that too would be illogical. Oh, brother...lighten up. :rolleyes:

Help me out here. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but...
(I'm not here to flame anyone. I'm looking for your insight as I do not understand what goes on in the minds of other people.)

What's up with all of those parenting threads lately?

In my day to day interactions with people, I will often hear someone make an assumption like: "when you get married" or "when you have kids". My thoughts after someone says something like that: "Do I really need to relate to you by going through childbirth? Is that really necessary? Do you not have any other means to connect with people besides adding more people to this overpopulated Earth? Are you that shallow?"

Do people really feel like they've accomplished something great by having children? I would almost consider parenthood to be a deliberate insult to a person's life.

I personally feel that parenting is hazardous to women for two reasons:
1) women are forever viewed as mothers and the social stigmas associated with mothers makes their role more problematic (Common cliche's: "Stop acting like my mother." "Who do you think you are? My mother?" "She acts like that, because she's a mom.")
2) women who have children are no longer "sought after" or "prized", because they've already been "conquered"

Maybe I'm viewing parenthood as a sacrifice instead of a voluntary decision like going to pharmacy school?
Maybe I don't see the value in having children when society is already plagued by dependent, unambitious citizens?
Maybe I need a vacation?
I think you just wish you had a penis some days...:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.