Pacific University Oregon Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waitlisted tier 1

received email at 4:42pm

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know Pacific's deferring policy if we are unable to go due to some circumstances? Or do we just have to reapply T__T

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

after i just answered your question i checked my email and I am TIER 1 Waitlist!!!

THIS IS SOOOOO EXITING!

Thank you soooo much LONNIE ANDERSON you just made my afternoon 100 times better.

hahah high five! too bad we don't know what numbers we are :[ oh wellll

yeah i know huh. :(

this is why I'm prepping for next year's application cycle. Until I get an official acceptance I can't guarantee myself anything this year.

I am studying for the PCAT, working on improving my ECs as well as work experience and volunteering. I plan on applying early this year and June is coming up so I have little time to make myself competitive.

you know what they say. hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

got placed at tier 1 as well.

Wow nice you guys are lucky. I'm on Tier 2. Best of luck to everyone :)

You guys don't know your spots? Weird. So tier 1 must mean you are waitlisted relatively high? Nice. Congrats guys! I wonder how many are in each tier. Still, good news. Anybody know if it's possible to postpone the $1000 deposit? It would be really nice to know if I got into OSU before I drop a boatload of cash. I guess it'll be worth it though...

I'm in Tier 2 as well. Looks like I'm going to be going to a different school. I've been lucky many times but this was not one of them. I wonder if admitting I'd alreaby been accepted to another 3-year program hurt me at the interview. On the bright side, had I been going to this school I would've had to quit my job and take the second semester of anatomy and physiology in the summer. Oregon would've been cool though. Congrats to all who got into this school!

You guys don't know your spots? Weird. So tier 1 must mean you are waitlisted relatively high? Nice. Congrats guys! I wonder how many are in each tier. Still, good news. Anybody know if it's possible to postpone the $1000 deposit? It would be really nice to know if I got into OSU before I drop a boatload of cash. I guess it'll be worth it though...

In the email they said they put about 100 students on wait list, and those 100 students are divided equally into the three tiers. So there are about 33 students per tier. They also said that in the past 2 years, they have taken everyone off of tier 1 and some people off of tier 2.

Nothing is guaranteed, even for the Tier 1's. I'm still worried I won't get in anywhere this year. How do we know we're not number 32?

Nothing is guaranteed, even for the Tier 1's. I'm still worried I won't get in anywhere this year. How do we know we're not number 32?

Yup, nothing is guaranteed

Members don't see this ad :)
Still, there were somewhere around 350 students interviewed, and to be high on the waitlist I would say is pretty good. I considered myself lucky to have received interviews this year. Although knowing that I will be attending pharmacy school next year is beyond words. Hopefully the modified block system is not incredibly intense, and make you go crazy. And because school is year-round, you probably won't be able to work. Getting done a year early though might make up for it. Hopefully living in the area is not too bad. Anybody know about the area of Hillsboro much? I didn't really get to look around. I just know that it's pretty close to Portland, which is nice. Hopefully there's decent apartments and food places.

Last edited:
I am an older, non-traditional applicant so Pacific is my ideal school.

Last edited:
I believe they do rank you, they just won't tell you anymore.

I don't think they'll allow you to postpone your deposit if you are waiting to hear from another school. If you don't want to lose your $1000, then you'll have to make the choice of which school you really want to go to despite knowing where you've been accepted. Or just be willing to walk away from the money if you get into your #1 school.

I don't think they'll allow you to postpone your deposit if you are waiting to hear from another school. If you don't want to lose your $1000, then you'll have to make the choice of which school you really want to go to despite knowing where you've been accepted. Or just be willing to walk away from the money if you get into your #1 school.

They actually are going to allow me to postpone it a few weeks. That way I'll be able to pay for it with my student loan reimbursement rather than borrowing from my folks : / I guess OSU would be better for me since I have am already attending as an undergrad, but Pacific seems great too. What's your status? If you don't mind me asking.

I talked with Lonnie and she was definitely as informative over the phone as she is in her emails.

I didn't want to keep her on long but she said that people have been denying their position on the waitlist and expect alot more movement after the deadline for the deposit.

Your current position is a score of your stats and interview.

Also she said because Pacific is on PharmCAS this year then people are likely to apply to more schools which gives the waitlisters a higher chance.

I guess we'll have to wait some more, at least until after March 16-19, the deadline for the deposit and waitlist confirmation.

If anyone hears anything keep us updated! :)

They actually are going to allow me to postpone it a few weeks. That way I'll be able to pay for it with my student loan reimbursement rather than borrowing from my folks : / I guess OSU would be better for me since I have am already attending as an undergrad, but Pacific seems great too. What's your status? If you don't mind me asking.

I should've visited OSU while I was in Oregon. I hear great things about that school and I am thinking of applying there next year if I don't get in this year. But is it absolute mandatory to take Anatomy and Physiology at a 4 year institution? They put that on PharmCAS but again people apply and get in despite not fullfilling minor requirements. I don't want to ask them if its written right there on PharmCAS.

I should've visited OSU while I was in Oregon. I hear great things about that school and I am thinking of applying there next year if I don't get in this year. But is it absolute mandatory to take Anatomy and Physiology at a 4 year institution? They put that on PharmCAS but again people apply and get in despite not fullfilling minor requirements. I don't want to ask them if its written right there on PharmCAS.

Yeah, you should have checked it out! I definitely recommend applying. I like the school. The education you get is definitely one of the best in the Northwest I've heard. What I don't like though is that it's such a big you school, that you often get stuck around a bunch of jack knobs.

Someone posted photos on this forum:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9093162
...but they definitely don't do it justice. There's a good community feel here. As far as pharmacy education goes, I'm really not sure. Both seem great. I think Pacific is more focused on one (or few) subject(s) at a time so you are more competent, whereas OSU you are bombarded by multiple subjects and courses, that I've heard is hard to do well in all of them.

If anyone else has any input on the comparison of the two schools, I would love to hear some opinions.

can anyone who is already a p1 or p2 student give us some insight on how difficult or the level of difficulty it is to get a 90%? In other words, are the exam question hard?

can anyone who is already a p1 or p2 student give us some insight on how difficult or the level of difficulty it is to get a 90%? In other words, are the exam question hard?

I'd like to know that as well, lol. Like, is it manageable? Has anyone not received a 90% on their exam?

I asked some of the P1's and P2's on the Pacific Class of 2013 facebook group. Hopefully they respond soon. Did you join yet?

I have friends that were in the first graduating class at Pacific so I could help to answer the question.
Some people failed on Friday but came back to pass the test on Monday (without the 5% help from group work). One particular test after the New Year, almost half the class failed the first time. Very few do need to do remediation during the summer.
They lost only 2 students during the first year, I think due to personal reasons.
So the 90% grading is challenging, but doable. You do have 3 chances to pass it.

I'd like to know that as well, lol. Like, is it manageable? Has anyone not received a 90% on their exam?

I asked some of the P1's and P2's on the Pacific Class of 2013 facebook group. Hopefully they respond soon. Did you join yet?

Yep,

rest assured people, the exams are completely doable! i am a p1 and have not had to retest yet *fingers crossed*. it depends on how much work you're willing to put into it. a lot of times students end up retesting on mondays because they didn't get enough study time in (life happens) and the extra days over the weekend were all they needed. very few students end up in the summer sessions. i think that with the bar being set so high we end up over studying and are typically prepared above the level we need to pass.

also, the administration has no desire to weed people out of the program so the questions are not designed to be tricky. they are designed to assess the level of understanding you'll need for the naplex and in practice.

this school is definitely a lot of work, but like at any school, it's passable if you put the work in. i think the hardest part of pacific is just the amount of material they give on a daily basis to fit it into 3 years. you've got to be willing to buckle down.

rest assured people, the exams are completely doable! i am a p1 and have not had to retest yet *fingers crossed*. it depends on how much work you're willing to put into it. a lot of times students end up retesting on mondays because they didn't get enough study time in (life happens) and the extra days over the weekend were all they needed. very few students end up in the summer sessions. i think that with the bar being set so high we end up over studying and are typically prepared above the level we need to pass.

also, the administration has no desire to weed people out of the program so the questions are not designed to be tricky. they are designed to assess the level of understanding you'll need for the naplex and in practice.

this school is definitely a lot of work, but like at any school, it's passable if you put the work in. i think the hardest part of pacific is just the amount of material they give on a daily basis to fit it into 3 years. you've got to be willing to buckle down.

Thanks for that insight! Makes me feel a lot better. If you don't mind me asking, did you apply to OSU as well? And what made you choose Pacific over OSU, and others? And do you think Pacific students have just as good an opportunity for residencies even though Pacific is not as established as OSU? I might have to make an important decision between the Oregon schools, so any help would be much appreciated.

Hi! I just gave up my spot at Pacific, so someone should be getting in soon! Keep your hopes up! :)

Thanks for that insight! Makes me feel a lot better. If you don't mind me asking, did you apply to OSU as well? And what made you choose Pacific over OSU, and others? And do you think Pacific students have just as good an opportunity for residencies even though Pacific is not as established as OSU? I might have to make an important decision between the Oregon schools, so any help would be much appreciated.

i only applied to pacific. i'm from the area and moving wasn't an option for me, so it made for a pretty easy decision. i felt pretty fortunate this school opened when it did.

i don't personally think it matters much where you go to school in pharmacy. i think what really matters is how well you do and how involved you are in leadership roles at the school and in the community. i don't plan on doing a residency so i haven't paid much attention to the topic, but i haven't heard any worry from the current or past students thinking they won't have a chance. in fact, we have a p2 student that was chosen out of a pool of both pacific and osu students for a paid summer internship up at ohsu.

if i were you i would only base my decision on the two different curriculum styles. if you don't think you can keep up with the accelerated course load, or if you are not in love with the modified block system, don't go to pacific! but i fully believe that any student that puts the effort in could walk away from either of the schools with the same advantages.

Is it pretty much impossible to work as an intern or anything if you go to Pacific? It seems like since you barely get any summer, there is very little opportunity to generate any income. : / I guess just live off of loans for a while?

i don't personally think it matters much where you go to school in pharmacy. i think what really matters is how well you do and how involved you are in leadership roles at the school and in the community. i don't plan on doing a residency so i haven't paid much attention to the topic, but i haven't heard any worry from the current or past students thinking they won't have a chance. in fact, we have a p2 student that was chosen out of a pool of both pacific and osu students for a paid summer internship up at ohsu.

Just curious-

What do summers look like for students? How would this individual be able to participate in a summer internship if there are electives to take? Also, how much 'free time' is available, if any? Any answers from current students would very much be appreciated! :)

flat out rejection for me :'( and the kicker is that on the letter i got today in the mail, they told me to improve my interview skills :eek::confused::scared: This is really making me feel really concerned about my performance in my other interviews that I've already had and now I'm paranoid for my upcoming interviews.

flat out rejection for me :'( and the kicker is that on the letter i got today in the mail, they told me to improve my interview skills :eek::confused::scared: This is really making me feel really concerned about my performance in my other interviews that I've already had and now I'm paranoid for my upcoming interviews.

hey fighton09 don't feel discouraged. I know it can be nerve wrecking when you receive a rejection letter...but on the bright side...I got several rejection letters without even receiving any interviews from other schools...Pacific is the only school that offered me an interview and I was placed in tier 2. If you have interviews coming up and if u feel discouraged I would recommend doing mock interviews or practicing in front of a mirror. The fact that you have received interview invitations from pharmacy schools is something to be very proud of....getting an interview call shows you are wanted by schools...so don't feel discouraged...just practice a few days before your interview...and most important: Be yourself...goodluck on ur upcoming interviews...I hope you get into the school of your choice! Take care :)

I feel that this interview experience has changed me for the better. I didn't show my best side to everyone, but through this process of preparing, I've become better at presenting myself in everyday life, not just for an interview. I believe that people do change and this stage in academia has evidently changed me. I was oblivious to certain characteristics of mine that might not have been the best. Before, I would do a lot of things on impulse without thinking about it beforehand. As long as you really prepare yourself and do a lot of soul searching, you will discover that the best side of you is in you, may have been dormant but this experience really brings it out and you keep it out. You also gain a lot of self control over your behavior, hence you gain professionalism.

Not that I wasn't awsome before LOL, just more open now.

Fighton, I hope you win them over at your upcoming interview! Good luck.

Last edited:
Do you guys know if they will let us know about living accomodations, finding roommates and stuff? Also, just curious, did anyone else also apply to OSU?

Do you guys know if they will let us know about living accomodations, finding roommates and stuff? Also, just curious, did anyone else also apply to OSU?

I had been looking around for living accommodations. No luck though. I hope they will send us more information soon. I just made my deposit today. LOL

from what i've read on previous forums, it seems that they will send us a packet regarding housing soon. someone could start a thread either on the facebook page or here on SDN in finding roommates.

have you heard back from OSU yet?

from what i've read on previous forums, it seems that they will send us a packet regarding housing soon. someone could start a thread either on the facebook page or here on SDN in finding roommates.

have you heard back from OSU yet?

so which school are you attending this coming fall Kern07?

i haven't decided yet. both schools have pros and cons, so i'm trying to weigh out all options... :)

I'm kind of in the same boat : / I'll find out from OSU by March 26th at the latest. If I get in there, then I'll have to make a pretty tough decision too. OSU is definitely more established and you get summers off school to work, but then again Pacific seems like it is more my learning style. Plus it would be nice to be done a year early. What are the major differences between Pacific and Hilo?

I know that this is a Pacific University topic forum, but I wanted to give my weight on the subject.

Hawaii - why pay for a tuition to sit in a bungalow? The only thin going for itself the location. It's not eligible for Federal Loans until its first graduating class.

ouch, that seems kinda harsh. ;)

both hilo and pacific have things i like, and both schools have a lot to offer. so it'll be up to me to see what school is the best fit for me.

True dat. It would be pretty expensive just living in Hawaii though : / That's the only downside I see. But I don't know much about the program. What are the pos-neg's you are considering for both schools?

take my pros and cons with a grain of salt:

some pros of Hilo:

1) 4 year program, get to come back and work over summers to get more experience.
2) program is geared towards rural / Pacific rim
3) from what i hear (and read on SDN), amazing faculty.
4) P4 rotations can occur out of Hawaii, I'd like to come back to my home state and have rotations here.

cons...
1) expensive. $$$$$
2) new program, no graduating class.

pros of Pacific:

1) 3 year program / lovin' the block style curriculum
2) cheaper living costs/tuition
3) already has other established schools in the health professions.
4) teamwork based, a strong sense of unity and the willingness to help others (not saying hilo doesn't have that, but i sensed this from the student body at the interview.)

cons....
1) all rotations are required to be done in either Oregon or Washington, (which may not necessarily be a bad thing, but i'd still like to come home and get experience over the summer)
2) some pharmacy residency directors told me that they look down on the pass/fail system. although i've read here that it's not the GPA that counts but your portfolio/entire picture of your pharmacy school career.

hope that answered your question, east. :)