Pacific University School of Pharmacy - Honest Review - AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSOP Student

Reaction score
I just finished up a few years at Pacific’s School of Pharmacy (PSOP). I have been meaning to write this review for a long while now, but always avoided doing so because of the time it would require to compose. I hope some students find it beneficial and will help students know what they are getting themselves into. I would like to help others and give an honest review without any bias and be as honest as possible while doing so. I will give my most honest reflection of my time at PSOP, but I will do so without giving away my identity for fear of and blowback. Please don’t ask about who I am and any sensitive information as I will do my best to ensure that my identity is not revealed. I sincerely hope future students sees this post as I hope this post helps them before they dedicate themselves to moving here with their belongings.

My journey started about 2-3 years ago. If I could go back, I would not have allowed myself to have been fooled into coming to PSOP. My advice for anyone that asks me whether they should consider PSOP would be a flat out “NO!” There is no way I would ever recommend or even offer PSOP to anyone that I know. Till this day, my biggest regret in life was allowing myself to be fooled into coming to PSOP. What a horrible time I have had here in Hillsboro.

If you live in Oregon and you want to reside in Oregon in the future, I would suggest you NOT choose pharmacy as a career. That market is oversaturated. Unless you have a job offer that is guaranteed or are relocating to a rural area without any competition, I would suggest you choose another major, seriously all my preceptors tell me the same thing. I am going into pharmacy because one of those options above applies to me, otherwise, I would not consider pharmacy at all. If you live in Oregon with a job guarantee, I would suggest you go to OHSU. I hear that their students are much better prepared for their rotations than PSOP’s students. All my preceptors during my rotations have all said the same thing, “there is a noticeable difference between students that come from PSOP vs OHSU.” After that I would suggest those that can, move to Washington as they like OHSU, have a higher NAPLEX passing rate.

Let’s start from the beginning. PSOP is a business before it is a school, just like many other pharmacy programs. They are out to make money from your tuition. I am not sure how it is at other schools, but PSOP trains their student ambassadors to lie and deflect to interviewing students. PSOP student ambassadors are selected through a screening process. In this screening process, the honest students (like me who will tell it like it is) are weeded out. During the screening process, potential student ambassadors are asked a serious of questions they are supposed to answer. These questions are structured as if they are asked by interviewing students. Here is an example of such questions: “How would you respond to an interviewee that asks you how stressful time at PSOP is? What would you say about the difficulty of the exams and the re-exams? How stressed are you at PSOP?” If a potential student ambassador replies honestly or gives a response that shows the school in a negative light, the potential student ambassador is weeded out. I know this is a fact, because I know the students that were selected and those that weren’t. The selected student ambassadors aren’t the most honest students and are only being ambassadors for the sake of their CV. The actual students that want to help the interviewees are the honest ones that want to give honest feedback to help and show students what life really is like, but they aren’t selected of course. We all know what would happen if a student is too honest and scares the interviewees away. Additionally, the selected student ambassadors undergo training in which they are told what questions to answer, how to answer and not to scare the interviewees away. Anyone that wants to verify this information out, can contact and ask their student ambassadors.

I fell victim to this same scam when I first interviewed at PSOP. It was awkward when I first interviewed because all the student ambassadors were so disingenuous and repetitive with their responses. They always pivoted away from directly answering my questions and always avoided talking about the students that failed, the stress level, the re-exams, the extended learning and the students that were held back 1 year if they didn’t pass 1 course. During my interview prior to enrolling, I talked to so many student ambassadors and they all gave the same repetitive answer. Their responses were the exact same, as if they rehearsed their responses. Years later after becoming a student, I found out that their answers were scripted and practiced. These student ambassadors are the type of students that are only out for themselves and their CVs. I could never do what they did as I am not a person who can keep a straight face and lie to people. To this day, I still remember the student ambassadors that lied to me during my interview. I still know their faces and their names. I know so many other students in my class who are still furious that they were duped with dishonesty too. I would never hire a pharmacist that was a student ambassador as they clearly aren’t in this profession to help people. They have no remorse about lying to others, they can lie with a straight face and worst of all they can sleep fine at night.

Now let’s get to it. What life is like at PSOP? If you are a genius and can learn everything you need to know from sitting in class for 6 hours everyday, 8-3:30 and then take an exam on the material in 1 week on the following Friday, this is the school for you. If you are like most students I know, you will spend the majority of your time at PSOP in class, then at home during the night studying and reviewing that same material over and over again. You will spend the weekend studying and they you will spend the days leading up the exam cramming while attending class in the mornings. You will rinse and repeat this for 2 years. As you can imagine, this gets old and very stressful quickly. This gets worse if you fail your Friday exams and have to re-exam on the following Mondays as you will spend that weekend studying and cramming. The re-exam on Monday is not the same Friday exam, so don’t think you will breeze through it. I know many people who re-exam so often, I am surprised at their ability not to break down.
The block system at PSOP:
  • Each block/topic starts on Wednesday and goes through until the next Friday. So, you have 9 days in total to master the topic with 1 weekend. On the Friday you must pass your exam with > 90%.
  • If you don’t pass, you must retake the exam on the following Monday with > 90%. For some teachers, it doesn’t matter if you score an 89.99999%. You need to score a 90% or above to pass. Regardless, you will spend the weekend studying to pass your Monday re-exam.
  • If you don’t pass that Monday re-exam, you get an EL (extended learning). The EL occurs during the winter (2/3 weeks break) and summer breaks (1 week break). During this time, you will get to self-study and attempt to pass the block with > 90%.
  • If you don’t pass 1 course during the semester, you get held back 1 year, if you choose to come back to the program. During this sit out period, you are waiting for the next cohort to start in August.
  • If at anytime during the program, you get 4 Els, meaning you didn’t pass 4 block exams, you get automatically kicked out. At this point you can choose to wait 1 year and come back to the program again the following year with the next cohort.
  • Rumors are that the class of 2021, they had the most amount of P1 students to have ever dropped out of the program. Additionally, whispers are that the class of 2021 is the poorest performing class to date in terms of examination failings and ELs.
  • Rumors also say that this year they have new professors who are making up new courses to hold students back. This course is called APPE Prep. This is a block that tests you on all the material from the prior years. The worst part of this course is that because these new professors aren’t aware of the curriculum, they created exams on topics that were never covered at PSOP. Predictably, some students didn’t pass their exams and are being held back for not knowing the answers to topics that they were never taught, but yet some how expected to know the answer to.
I myself study every single day. From the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep, I am studying, eating, studying, sometimes I get to run and then I come back to studying. I do this everyday except for the weekend after I pass my Friday exams. Most times after passing a Friday exam, the weekend is used completing projects for the Monday course anyways, so it is never really a free weekend even if you pass on Friday. I usually pass my exams because of the time I put in doing nothing but studying before the exams. In case you don’t get it yet, I study so much, I feel like I just took 5-10 years off my life because I attended PSOP. I have become so unhealthy physically, I regret ever allowing myself to be tricked into attending PSOP.

Many students at PSOP that I have talked to, feel the same way. They feel lied to, they feel tricked and most of all they are so stressed out they regret attending PSOP. I know graduates from PSOP that say they wish they didn’t attend PSOP because of the time they lost out on in life. These graduates say that they wish they could also go back and not attend PSOP. I have talked to students from other programs that say they miss pharmacy school because of the fun they had. I forgot that other pharmacy schools have summer breaks. At PSOP, there aren’t any breaks, especially if you EL, then you get no breaks at all since you will be trying not to get kicked out of the program.
At PSOP, some professors quit because they don’t agree with what the school is doing. The professor turnover rate at PSOP is so high that some professors leave the program after just a few years here. Most professors are here to collect the teaching experience and then leave. Some professor leave because they don’t agree with the way students at PSOP are taught as they don’t believe that students are benefiting. Some professors are open about their disagreement with the program, but I will not name any names. If you are a student at PSOP, you know which teachers I am talking about. Speaking about professors, some professors enjoy having power and control over students. Some professors enjoy holding students back and have no remorse at all.

In addition to all that I have said, there is no dedicated laboratory. During my interview, we were shown a research lab. After enrolling, I find out that this laboratory is only for research that the professors work in. So, students don’t have an actual lab that they can enter and practice in. At PSOP, we are only in a makeshift room where we make suppositories, lip balm and other items once. So, while you are at PSOP, you will be exposed to the laboratory that you can work in maybe for 4 days during your P1 year. After that, you never step foot into the lab again. If you think those 4 days are going to help you during your hospital rotations, think again.

Another horrible part of attending PSOP is the rent. The rent here is so crazy expensive to live in a little town called Hillsboro. Hillsboro is full of nothing but Hispanic farmers and a jail, but the rent here is outrageous. For a 1 bedroom apartment, the average cost is $1,200+. The cost of living basically makes the tuition at PSOP the same as other schools. The rent here is driven primarily by the influx of college students who moved to Forest Grove to attend Pacific’s main campus. As more student move in, the rent for these two little town continues to rise, and the individuals that own all the land here benefit from student loans. The result of this as you can imagine is that the people local to the area are pushed out because you can’t survive on minimum wage here. I talked with some locals who say that they have to bunk with other roommates just to survive in this little town. It is sad to see as the rent continues to increase and locals are forced out onto the streets. Clearly some individuals from the university are benefiting from this as some many apartments continue to be developed around the Forest Grove campus. These newer apartments start at $1,600+ a month the last time I checked, which is crazy considering Forest Grove doesn’t even have much other than the college.

Now, my intention isn’t to tear PSOP down, but rather to show what life is really like at PSOP. I don’t believe that any program should be able to lie to potential students. I believe that they should be as transparent as possible. There are loans that have to be repaid. If these students don’t make it, they will carry these student loans until they are paid off. You shouldn’t be able to flat out lie and hide the reality of the program. Be as honest as possible so that students can make the correct choice and determine if they are a good fit of the program or not. Don’t lie to students, tell them not to worry and then have them drop out with loans they will have to pay back. That is unfair and completely unethical.
For the class of 2021, all the students that were kicked out or dropped out, all have a student debt that they will now have to carry. I sincerely believe that these student debts could have been avoided had the students known what they would be in store for. Unfortunately, I wasn’t allowed to be a student ambassador and warn them before they signed up for PSOP.

One very easy thing you can do if you are thinking about whether I am honest is to contact your student ambassador and ask them about what I have wrote. I would do it via a phone call, so you can hear their voice. Another thing you can do is contact students via Facebook. However, I doubt most students will be honest out of fear of what PSOP may do. I think the only way even I would be honest if contacted through Facebook, is to do it anonymously.

Anyways, this is a long post, but I am a person who appreciates the little details and honesty, so sorry. Pick your path wisely as I have given you what I wish someone would’ve provided me before attending PSOP. I wish I could go back in time and attend the other schools I was accepted to. I know I would be happier and better off in the long run. Reflecting on my life choices, attending PSOP is my biggest regret. However, who knows, maybe this is the program for you, it just wasn’t for me and those that I know closely here at PSOP.

If you have any questions, I can try to answer them for you, if I have the time to do so. Life is a journey, not a race. Choose your path wisely.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Uh OK, cool. I don't know why you didn't post this in the pre pharm forum or why you think practicing pharmacists want to do a reddit style Q&A on a diploma mill school, but yea......cool.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I hope some prospective students reap the benefit from your perspective. I am moving this to the forum where that has the biggest chance of happening.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope some prospective students reap the benefit from your perspective. I am moving this to the forum where that has the biggest chance of happening.

Thanks for the move. I haven't been on here for years, pre-pharmacy school.

I just finished up a few years at Pacific’s School of Pharmacy (PSOP). I have been meaning to write this review for a long while now, but always avoided doing so because of the time it would require to compose. I hope some students find it beneficial and will help students know what they are getting themselves into. I would like to help others and give an honest review without any bias and be as honest as possible while doing so. I will give my most honest reflection of my time at PSOP, but I will do so without giving away my identity for fear of and blowback. Please don’t ask about who I am and any sensitive information as I will do my best to ensure that my identity is not revealed. I will not reveal what class I am part of, but those that can see through the detail will know which class I am in. I sincerely hope future students sees this post as I hope this post helps them before they dedicate themselves to moving here with their belongings.

My journey started about 2-3 years ago. If I could go back, I would not have allowed myself to have been fooled into coming to PSOP. My advice for anyone that asks me whether they should consider PSOP would be a flat out “NO!” There is no way I would ever recommend or even offer PSOP to anyone that I know. Till this day, my biggest regret in life was allowing myself to be fooled into coming to PSOP. What a horrible time I have had here in Hillsboro.

If you live in Oregon and you want to reside in Oregon in the future, I would suggest you NOT choose pharmacy as a career. That market is oversaturated. Unless you have a job offer that is guaranteed or are relocating to a rural area without any competition, I would suggest you choose another major, seriously all my preceptors tell me the same thing. I am going into pharmacy because one of those options above applies to me, otherwise, I would not consider pharmacy at all. If you live in Oregon with a job guarantee, I would suggest you go to OHSU. I hear that their students are much better prepared for their rotations than PSOP’s students. All my preceptors during my rotations have all said the same thing, “there is a noticeable difference between students that come from PSOP vs OHSU.” After that I would suggest those that can, move to Washington as they like OHSU, have a higher NAPLEX passing rate.

Let’s start from the beginning. PSOP is a business before it is a school, just like many other pharmacy programs. They are out to make money from your tuition. I am not sure how it is at other schools, but PSOP trains their student ambassadors to lie and deflect to interviewing students. PSOP student ambassadors are selected through a screening process. In this screening process, the honest students (like me who will tell it like it is) are weeded out. During the screening process, potential student ambassadors are asked a serious of questions they are supposed to answer. These questions are structured as if they are asked by interviewing students. Here is an example of such questions: “How would you respond to an interviewee that asks you how stressful time at PSOP is? What would you say about the difficulty of the exams and the re-exams? How stressed are you at PSOP?” If a potential student ambassador replies honestly or gives a response that shows the school in a negative light, the potential student ambassador is weeded out. I know this is a fact, because I know the students that were selected and those that weren’t. The selected student ambassadors aren’t the most honest students and are only being ambassadors for the sake of their CV. The actual students that want to help the interviewees are the honest ones that want to give honest feedback to help and show students what life really is like, but they aren’t selected of course. We all know what would happen if a student is too honest and scares the interviewees away. Additionally, the selected student ambassadors undergo training in which they are told what questions to answer, how to answer and not to scare the interviewees away. Anyone that wants to verify this information out, can contact and ask their student ambassadors.

I fell victim to this same scam when I first interviewed at PSOP. It was awkward when I first interviewed because all the student ambassadors were so disingenuous and repetitive with their responses. They always pivoted away from directly answering my questions and always avoided talking about the students that failed, the stress level, the re-exams, the extended learning and the students that were held back 1 year if they didn’t pass 1 course. During my interview prior to enrolling, I talked to so many student ambassadors and they all gave the same repetitive answer. Their responses were the exact same, as if they rehearsed their responses. Years later after becoming a student, I found out that their answers were scripted and practiced. These student ambassadors are the type of students that are only out for themselves and their CVs. I could never do what they did as I am not a person who can keep a straight face and lie to people. To this day, I still remember the student ambassadors that lied to me during my interview. I still know their faces and their names. I know so many other students in my class who are still furious that they were duped with dishonesty too. I would never hire a pharmacist that was a student ambassador as they clearly aren’t in this profession to help people. They have no remorse about lying to others, they can lie with a straight face and worst of all they can sleep fine at night.

Now let’s get to it. What life is like at PSOP? If you are a genius and can learn everything you need to know from sitting in class for 6 hours everyday, 8-3:30 and then take an exam on the material in 1 week on the following Friday, this is the school for you. If you are like most students I know, you will spend the majority of your time at PSOP in class, then at home during the night studying and reviewing that same material over and over again. You will spend the weekend studying and they you will spend the days leading up the exam cramming while attending class in the mornings. You will rinse and repeat this for 2 years. As you can imagine, this gets old and very stressful quickly. This gets worse if you fail your Friday exams and have to re-exam on the following Mondays as you will spend that weekend studying and cramming. The re-exam on Monday is not the same Friday exam, so don’t think you will breeze through it. I know many people who re-exam so often, I am surprised at their ability not to break down.
  • Each block/topic starts on Wednesday and goes through until the next Friday. So, you have 9 days in total to master the topic with 1 weekend. On the Friday you must pass your exam with > 90%.
  • If you don’t pass, you must retake the exam on the following Monday with > 90%. For some teachers, it doesn’t matter if you score an 89.99999%. You need to score a 90% or above to pass. Regardless, you will spend the weekend studying to pass your Monday re-exam.
  • If you don’t pass that Monday re-exam, you get an EL (extended learning). The EL occurs during the winter (2/3 weeks break) and summer breaks (1 week break). During this time, you will get to self-study and attempt to pass the block with > 90%.
  • If you don’t pass 1 course during the semester, you get held back 1 year, if you choose to come back to the program. During this sit out period, you are waiting for the next cohort to start in August.
  • If at anytime during the program, you get 4 Els, meaning you didn’t pass 4 block exams, you get automatically kicked out. At this point you can choose to wait 1 year and come back to the program again the following year with the next cohort.
  • Rumors are that the class of 2021, they had the most amount of P1 students to have ever dropped out of the program. Additionally, whispers are that the class of 2021 is the poorest performing class to date in terms of examination failings and ELs.
  • Rumors also say that this year they have new professors who are making up new courses to hold students back. This course is called APPE Prep. This is a block that tests you on all the material from the prior years. The worst part of this course is that because these new professors aren’t aware of the curriculum, they created exams on topics that were never covered at PSOP. Predictably, some students didn’t pass their exams and are being held back for not knowing the answers to topics that they were never taught, but yet some how expected to know the answer to.
I myself study every single day. From the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep, I am studying, eating, studying, sometimes I get to run and then I come back to studying. I do this everyday except for the weekend after I pass my Friday exams. Most times after passing a Friday exam, the weekend is used completing projects for the Monday course anyways, so it is never really a free weekend even if you pass on Friday. I usually pass my exams because of the time I put in doing nothing but studying before the exams. In case you don’t get it yet, I study so much, I feel like I just took 5-10 years off my life because I attended PSOP. I have become so unhealthy physically, I regret ever allowing myself to be tricked into attending PSOP.

Many students at PSOP that I have talked to, feel the same way. They feel lied to, they feel tricked and most of all they are so stressed out they regret attending PSOP. I know graduates from PSOP that say they wish they didn’t attend PSOP because of the time they lost out on in life. These graduates say that they wish they could also go back and not attend PSOP. I have talked to students from other programs that say they miss pharmacy school because of the fun they had. I forgot that other pharmacy schools have summer breaks. At PSOP, there aren’t any breaks, especially if you EL, then you get no breaks at all since you will be trying not to get kicked out of the program.
At PSOP, some professors quit because they don’t agree with what the school is doing. The professor turnover rate at PSOP is so high that some professors leave the program after just a few years here. Most professors are here to collect the teaching experience and then leave. Some professor leave because they don’t agree with the way students at PSOP are taught as they don’t believe that students are benefiting. Some professors are open about their disagreement with the program, but I will not name any names. If you are a student at PSOP, you know which teachers I am talking about. Speaking about professors, some professors enjoy having power and control over students. Some professors enjoy holding students back and have no remorse at all.

In addition to all that I have said, there is no dedicated laboratory. During my interview, we were shown a research lab. After enrolling, I find out that this laboratory is only for research that the professors work in. So, students don’t have an actual lab that they can enter and practice in. At PSOP, we are only in a makeshift room where we make suppositories, lip balm and other items once. So, while you are at PSOP, you will be exposed to the laboratory that you can work in maybe for 4 days during your P1 year. After that, you never step foot into the lab again. If you think those 4 days are going to help you during your hospital rotations, think again.

Another horrible part of attending PSOP is the rent. The rent here is so crazy expensive to live in a little town called Hillsboro. Hillsboro is full of nothing but Hispanic farmers and a jail, but the rent here is outrageous. For a 1 bedroom apartment, the average cost is $1,200+. The cost of living basically makes the tuition at PSOP the same as other schools. The rent here is driven primarily by the influx of college students who moved to Forest Grove to attend Pacific’s main campus. As more student move in, the rent for these two little town continues to rise, and the individuals that own all the land here benefit from student loans. The result of this as you can imagine is that the people local to the area are pushed out because you can’t survive on minimum wage here. I talked with some locals who say that they have to bunk with other roommates just to survive in this little town. It is sad to see as the rent continues to increase and locals are forced out onto the streets. Clearly some individuals from the university are benefiting from this as some many apartments continue to be developed around the Forest Grove campus. These newer apartments start at $1,600+ a month the last time I checked, which is crazy considering Forest Grove doesn’t even have much other than the college.

Now, my intention isn’t to tear PSOP down, but rather to show what life is really like at PSOP. I don’t believe that any program should be able to lie to potential students. I believe that they should be as transparent as possible. There are loans that have to be repaid. If these students don’t make it, they will carry these student loans until they are paid off. You shouldn’t be able to flat out lie and hide the reality of the program. Be as honest as possible so that students can make the correct choice and determine if they are a good fit of the program or not. Don’t lie to students, tell them not to worry and then have them drop out with loans they will have to pay back. That is unfair and completely unethical.
For the class of 2021, all the students that were kicked out or dropped out, all have a student debt that they will now have to carry. I sincerely believe that these student debts could have been avoided had the students known what they would be in store for. Unfortunately, I wasn’t allowed to be a student ambassador and warn them before they signed up for PSOP.

One very easy thing you can do if you are thinking about whether I am honest is to contact your student ambassador and ask them about what I have wrote. I would do it via a phone call, so you can hear their voice. Another thing you can do is contact students via Facebook. However, I doubt most students will be honest out of fear of what PSOP may do. I think the only way even I would be honest if contacted through Facebook, is to do it anonymously.

Anyways, this is a long post, but I am a person who appreciates the little details and honesty, so sorry. Pick your path wisely as I have given you what I wish someone would’ve provided me before attending PSOP. I wish I could go back in time and attend the other schools I was accepted to. I know I would be happier and better off in the long run. Reflecting on my life choices, attending PSOP is my biggest regret. However, who knows, maybe this is the program for you, it just wasn’t for me and those that I know closely here at PSOP.

If you have any questions, I can try to answer them for you, if I have the time to do so. Life is a journey, not a race. Choose your path wisely.

As an incoming non-traditional student to this program, I appreciate your experiences in Hillsboro (Although, for more readers to grasp, I'd make a TLDR version if possible ;))

I've actually talked with fellow incoming students (as my anonymity isn't that well hidden and I don't mind as I figure it'd make more students open to discuss with me personal questions if they chatted with me offline / pm style). For many of them I state that the 3 year expedited program along with COL and debt ratio in the Hillsboro / Eugene / Portland region must be considered in the long-term if most don't meet the following:

1) Student Loan debt below 100k

2) Have worked in a pharmacy before school (retail but inpatient side is a plus)

3) Have a networking skill in specific settings with some leeway on competition (ie worked in a VA, military service, family owns independent store, etc).

For myself, I've worked some years in pharmacy both in retail as well as in the military. I tell others that not only is my education being paid by my "type" of GI Bill, but I also collect military compensation at the tune of 3500 a month tax free along with a $2,400 housing allowance every month as a student. Without my prior experiences, payments being covered for school and housing (along with very cheap health insurance for my family) it would be very difficult for me to consider any professional program when you wager student debt vs income. I encourage many to seek other avenues less traveled to cover the debt, but if personal experiences in a pharmacy are not met, It would be hard for me to encourage anyone to attend any type of program.

Fortunately, after jumping out of helicopters and traveling overseas while spending time with wife and kids, I'm fortunate to have lived life a bit with little debt and encourage many others to think long-term what studying really does when it comes to anyone's sanity and financially obligations.

Last edited:
I just finished up a few years at Pacific’s School of Pharmacy (PSOP). I have been meaning to write this review for a long while now, but always avoided doing so because of the time it would require to compose. I hope some students find it beneficial and will help students know what they are getting themselves into. I would like to help others and give an honest review without any bias and be as honest as possible while doing so. I will give my most honest reflection of my time at PSOP, but I will do so without giving away my identity for fear of and blowback. Please don’t ask about who I am and any sensitive information as I will do my best to ensure that my identity is not revealed. I will not reveal what class I am part of, but those that can see through the detail will know which class I am in. I sincerely hope future students sees this post as I hope this post helps them before they dedicate themselves to moving here with their belongings.

I go to a 3 year accelerated pharmacy school on the northeast and I identify with almost everything you said. Count yourself lucky that you graduated and have a degree to show for the debt and stress you had to go through. Maybe it would have been different if we went to a four year school.

I go to a 3 year accelerated pharmacy school on the northeast and I identify with almost everything you said. Count yourself lucky that you graduated and have a degree to show for the debt and stress you had to go through. Maybe it would have been different if we went to a four year school.

The sad thing is, no one ever posts or makes a thread with their honest reflection on their program. Its like everyone has so much pride in their program, they don't want to talk about the cons. From all the upset students in my class, it is honestly a shock that I was the only one to make such a post. I guess it is what it is.

When I interviewed last September (I’ll leave out identifiers of our program directors) the residency question popped-up during our introductory orientation and they did assure us that even though some programs don't consider the pass/fail system as a substitute for GPA, many graduates still get a residency.

In times past I've worked with an admin group in the military going through civilian-side pgy-1 slots at a level 1 trauma center hospital I worked at....I also concur that applicants with no pharmD gpa scaling were more times than not tossed out by our healthcare team and commanders.

The sad thing is, no one ever posts or makes a thread with their honest reflection on their program. Its like everyone has so much pride in their program, they don't want to talk about the cons. From all the upset students in my class, it is honestly a shock that I was the only one to make such a post. I guess it is what it is.
Trust me , most of us pharmacy students know how atrocious and money hungry these schools are but we still choose to sheepishly attend them. I told my friend who was desperate the attrition rate at my school and how cut throat everything is but she applied and was accepted. After spending just a semester she did poorly and was not allowed to continue to the next semester. The attrition rate for her class was even worse than ours. We lost 2 students after the first semester but her class lost around 5 students.

Trust me , most of us pharmacy students know how atrocious and money hungry these schools are but we still choose to sheepishly attend them. I told my friend who was desperate the attrition rate at my school and how cut throat everything is but she applied and was accepted. After spending just a semester she did poorly and was not allowed to continue to the next semester. The attrition rate for her class was even worse than ours. We lost 2 students after the first semester but her class lost around 5 students.
Yeah, My school at least works with you to get through school. But seriously cutthroat in job market. if you are a poor student, you can potentially get ruined career wise.

15 students?! Are there any talk of curriculum modification? For pass/no pass school, there are those that are accepted to residency and those that are not, but it sure is harder to gage a student capability without a gpa.

At this point, schools must produce quality pharmacists to help our profession grow. If more than 15 students did not pass, then what does that about the quality of pharmacy?

I just graduated from this program, and I can say that the OP is pretty much spot on with the assessment. What happened is that the school became more relaxed with GPA requirements and accepted many students that had no business being accepted. It frustrates me because I had a high overall and science GPA and to me it devalues my PharmD. a bit. I heard that the c/o 2020 also had a handful of students that didn't get through the first semester if the OP can verify this. Still, not as bad as what happened with the c/o '21. I can also verify that tuition was raised on us, and will continue to be increased.

I personally wasn't into getting a job in rural Oregon or the freakshow area up in northern Cali, and since I didn't apply for residency I'm stuck trying to learn everything for the NAPLEX because the program crammed so much info. To me, the NAPLEX is going to be tough on a majority of us unless your last APPE block is off and you start studying right away. I owe over $200K and with interest the total is increasing daily. I know a lot of students in the c/o 2019 that don't have a job lined up yet, and we're all just rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

I just graduated from this program, and I can say that the OP is pretty much spot on with the assessment. What happened is that the school became more relaxed with GPA requirements and accepted many students that had no business being accepted. It frustrates me because I had a high overall and science GPA and to me it devalues my PharmD. a bit. I heard that the c/o 2020 also had a handful of students that didn't get through the first semester if the OP can verify this. Still, not as bad as what happened with the c/o '21. I can also verify that tuition was raised on us, and will continue to be increased.

I personally wasn't into getting a job in rural Oregon or the freakshow area up in northern Cali, and since I didn't apply for residency I'm stuck trying to learn everything for the NAPLEX because the program crammed so much info. To me, the NAPLEX is going to be tough on a majority of us unless your last APPE block is off and you start studying right away. I owe over $200K and with interest the total is increasing daily. I know a lot of students in the c/o 2019 that don't have a job lined up yet, and we're all just rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

Out of curiosity, did the tuition increase between "blocks" or on the dot once a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, did the tuition increase between "blocks" or on the dot once a year?

Tuition is charged per term (i.e. fall, spring, summer). It increased each year for the c/o 2019. The grad+ loan rate was 7% this past year which is insane. Borrow as little as possible from grad+ loans.

Tuition is charged per term (i.e. fall, spring, summer). It increased each year for the c/o 2019. The grad+ loan rate was 7% this past year which is insane. Borrow as little as possible from grad+ loans.

Good to know.

I'll pass some of this info on with other incoming students to this program. This would be a good "What you need to know" post for the pharmacy homepage for current students.

Good to know.

I'll pass some of this info on with other incoming students to this program (for myself, GI Bill is paying my tuition + housing). This would be a good "What you need to know" post for the pharmacy homepage for current students.

Good for you! Also, the best way to get through P1 year is to surround yourself with a good group of people. Study guides and drugs charts are the way to go, because unless you're good at memorizing powerpoint slides (I'm not), you need to create study materials on the go. Don't try to be a bada$s and do it all on your own, because I've seen students not do well without help.

Thanks for your honest review OP. I got accepted to this program for fall 2019. You talked about tuition increases but it is not reflected on the schools website. How much is the tuition per term? Also did you know of students with little kids and how they fared in the program. For the APPE and IPPE, if I can't go out of the portland metro area due to family constraints, does the schhol make accomodation for student in my situation?

Thanks for your honest review OP. I got accepted to this program for fall 2019. You talked about tuition increases but it is not reflected on the schools website. How much is the tuition per term? Also did you know of students with little kids and how they fared in the program. For the APPE and IPPE, if I can't go out of the portland metro area due to family constraints, does the schhol make accomodation for student in my situation?

No, the school does NOT make accommodations.

I am glad they don't make accommodations because then it would be even more unfair to some students. If they made accommodations, it would mean that the bad traveling schedule would be even worse for a select group. Currently the school will place you anywhere possible so that you can get your required hours. Some students drive from West to East and back to West of Oregon. Some students spend hours driving to and from rotation sites. Some preceptors are so bad, they don't allow students to do 10 hour shifts to cut down on the driving/cost of driving.

Now imagine placing the burden on only some students, no select group of students deserves the 4 hour driving schedules while the others get a free pass. Think now about cost of renting rooms, cost of gas, wear and tear on cars, oil changes, tires, brakes and so on. I know some students with families, plan to be missing the majority of the time and being home on the weekends, that is if you are up to the driving schedule and traffic. I heard of some students paying (cost of moving, cost of rent and cost of travel) others for trade sites because they had a newborn at home. Rotation sites are expensive here in Oregon.

During the program, unless you are super smart and can memorize 6 hours of lecture everyday while in class, don't plan on spending time with your kids, or you will find yourself doing Monday re-exams every other week and EL'ing at the end of the semester. Cross your fingers you don't get the ELs and held back (more tuition money lost). Some of the students with kids that I know of have a full-time significant other at home that is understanding and takes care of the kids without lashing out at the student. If your partner isn't going to be understanding, this isn't the program for you. Oh yeah,class attendance is MANDATORY, so don't plan on skipping. They also take role via online quizzes to see who is missing. Those that miss the quizzes in class, miss points that go towards the 90% needed to pass the Friday exams. So a quiz in class can be worth up to 10 points, miss that and you better do very well on the Friday exam. In class quizzes are tracked to make sure they are submitted with the school's IP address, so don't try to attempt it from home or you will be written up.

For tuition, there is A LOT missing from the website. Yes, the tuition can increase. A higher loss of students means less money for the school. 1 missing student carries forward for 3 years worth of tuition (it is a 3 year program), so of course they will increase the tuition. Wouldn't you do the same if it was your business? I know I would. To put it simple, a student is worth $200,000 in tuition to the school for 3 years. If you lose 10 students, you just loss $2,000,000.

I honestly am not sure why you would even consider pharmacy at this point. A bunch of Walmart pharmacists were just fired and they are cutting down on hours. The future looks even dimmer than before. This field is going to the dump and it is going fast. I honestly would suggest you stay away from pharmacy, especially this program. Trust me, you will thank me later. I wish someone else had told me this too. If only I could turn back time...if only someone had made a thread like this for me years ago.

The crazy thing is that the c/o 2022 (your class members) hasn't even found this thread.

Last edited:

You’ll be getting this soon enough (or already have). $26,690 billed for Fall Tuition and other fees for 2019. Of course, housing and other stipulations add an additional 10k - 18k for Fall depending on family size and renters cost.

If it wasn’t for that “Typing” at the bottom right corner of the page (VA Chapter 33 Yellow Ribbon which is paying everything) I would have to pull out loans myself!

CCBB6DC1-B0A2-47A6-A0FF-8AE3772BD859.jpeg

You’ll be getting this soon enough (or already have). $26,690 billed for Fall Tuition and other fees for 2019. Of course, housing and other stipulations add an additional 10k - 18k for Fall depending on family size and renters cost.

How are you liking it there and when is your first exam?

We did a short quiz through the Examsoft application based on Enzyme Kinetics and the different Carbohydrate Metabolisms (ie Glycolysis, Gluconeogenesis, TCA, Oxidation Phosphorylation, so on and so forth). I mean, I literally just take notes, go work out for an hour or two, then study 'til midnight. Rinse and repeat.

Our first Exam is September 6th. P2's have said they lost a lot of people on the first exam. Curious to see how that pans out again with our 105 classmates (give or take).

P2's have said they lost a lot of people on the first exam. Curious to see how that pans out again with our 105 classmates (give or take).

Atleast the P2s are honest (now after students have signed up). The class before your class loss a LOT of people. By winter time...even more left. The school had to pull strings to keep from failing/holding back all those that were supposed to fail.

After reading all the story about saturated n no jobs, anyone has a backup plan if they can't find a job in the pharmacy field? Maybe go back to school for another degree or switch career or side job?

are u still work in pharmacy??? u didn't even answer my question hahahahaha

You can go back to school if you have the time/age is on your side. The loans don't pay themselves off though. You can also work as part time for 2 gigs. Some students think that it is great to have two jobs, but these are the students who have never held a job.

The pharmacy schools don't care if students don't find jobs. The schools get paid in full already. That is the reason why they are still accepting students. I will say this though, pharmacy students (no offense to anyone who is on here, as they are the exception to the rule) are some of the dumbest students and most uninformed students. The majority of the pharmacy students I have talked with all think they are God's gift to the world. I was one of the very few students that was skeptical and foresaw the over saturation of the market. I remember talking to the students in my class and they were mad at me for being so "negative". I won't say much about this, because I want to remain anonymous. Long story short, I stopped talking to most of my clueless classmates who have their heads so far up their butts they still aren't even aware of the recent firings by Walmart. Hell, there is a student in my class who believes that pharmacist and medical doctors are one in the same.
Post about the layoffs and tell us what happens :)

How was the exam? Re-exam rate? Any students leave?

First week of school I know of 2 people that "deferred" their admissions plus a handful of students who repeated the course now joining the P1 class. I know a good chunk of students did the re-exam this morning but I cannot say for sure how many students (Seeing I wasn't one of them). About this time this evening those who retook will get an email stating if they passed or not. I am sure I'll here rumors in class tomorrow or throughout the week of who didn't pass.

First week of school I know of 2 people that "deferred" their admissions plus a handful of students who repeated the course now joining the P1 class. I know a good chunk of students did the re-exam this morning but I cannot say for sure how many students (Seeing I wasn't one of them). About this time this evening those who retook will get an email stating if they passed or not. I am sure I'll here rumors in class tomorrow or throughout the week of who didn't pass.
can students retake every exam they fail or it is limited????

can students retake every exam they fail or it is limited????

It is a very fast pace accelerated program that demands a 90% on all exams. All exams are on a Friday with re-exams that following Monday. If you fail the re-exam you get one last shot at the end of the semester when everyone else is on break. If you still cannot pass you're done.

So yes, you graduate in 3 years but for many it's a high risk high reward. However, if you dedicate 6-8 hours a day after class on the concepts and extra time on the weekends it can be done. You'll be deprived and burnt out but it can be done.

We've had some folks go on a LOA right after the first exam. I believe 2 officially are gone but not sure who must do remediation. Yea as for the P2 class some misfits are happening. Surprisingly P1 appears to be on a good start. Again though, shall see once January hits. P2's are not setting the bar to high unfortunately

We've had some folks go on a LOA right after the first exam. I believe 2 officially are gone but not sure who must do remediation. Yea as for the P2 class some misfits are happening. Surprisingly P1 appears to be on a good start. Again though, shall see once January hits. P2's are not setting the bar to high unfortunately
BC, remind me again why you chose to attend PSOP? Lowest net cost school?

I think your class just had the second exam. Anymore LOAs and what have the re-exam rate been like lately?

I think your class just had the second exam. Anymore LOAs and what have the re-exam rate been like lately?

Not sure how the re-exam number is, but so far no loss of numbers on this round. By the material ahead I think some may drop due to the max number of ELs you can have is two come december

Not sure how the re-exam number is, but so far no loss of numbers on this round. By the material ahead I think some may drop due to the max number of ELs you can have is two come december

How was renal?

How was renal?

PCR I was fine but I felt I just got by on the PCR II section yesterday. Thankfully no retakes as of yet but I am feeling the accelerated program take its toll between the kids at home and schooling. CNS I is coming up and we have had some people leave and plenty of retakes. As of now I believe we are still at 104 students but not sure how many will be attending EL during the break as Im sure we will have a fair amount.

Definitely looking forward to the 3.5 week break come December.

The extra year at a 4 year program would've been worth it as you would've had more time for the family, but it is always easier to say in hindsight. Good luck with the school and family. I am not a person that likes to lie, so unfortunately, it only gets harder from here come P2 year and cross your fingers you don't get a crap preceptor.

For most folks I would recommend a 4 year program with opportunities to intern for those that have little experience as techs. I'm still glad I got in with a 3 year program.

Have your IPPE rotations started yet? A lot of rotation sites just went out of business with Bi-Mart. Also, has any of the professors been honest about recent loss of jobs?

Have your IPPE rotations started yet? A lot of rotation sites just went out of business with Bi-Mart. Also, has any of the professors been honest about recent loss of jobs?

No mention of job prospects. We start IPPE rotations in January after the break

I have heard some scrambling going on with the class ahead of me with some students dropping or being held back but unfortunately I don't keep up with what is going on around me (student or faculty wise) as much as I should. So long as my tuition and housing is being paid for I pretty much just keep to whatever block and task I have ahead of me

I have heard some scrambling going on with the class ahead of me with some students dropping or being held back but unfortunately I don't keep up with what is going on around me (student or faculty wise) as much as I should. So long as my tuition and housing is being paid for I pretty much just keep to whatever block and task I have ahead of me

The current P2s are seeing the over saturation. The smart ones are asking for advice from the class ahead of them and leaving. I know a P2 who reached out and was disappointed by all the lies that she was being feed from delusional students just lying to her about how great jobs are. When she finally receieved honest feedback reaffirming everything she has been reading in the news, she left the program and was disappointed by all the lies and dishonest students.

The current P2s are seeing the over saturation. The smart ones are asking for advice from the class ahead of them and leaving. I know a P2 who reached out and was disappointed by all the lies that she was being feed from delusional students just lying to her about how great jobs are. When she finally receieved honest feedback reaffirming everything she has been reading in the news, she left the program and was disappointed by all the lies and dishonest students.

I do try to go out of my way to explain to some of my colleagues that a solid plan needs to be directed to the nation and not the Portland / Vancouver / Northern Cali region. I am not surprised that already on my IPPE rotation that the pharmacists are getting by with floating or 32 hr weeks in the community setting with multiple areas already shut-down. The 3 year program is already rigorous enough let alone for folks that have never been in a pharmacy and do not have time to intern and build a network within a company or simply a "niche" job.

I keep my professionalism in check, yet at the same time it is worry-some that young academically driven folks seem to have ran to pharmacy due to not getting into medical school or had minimal GPAs coming in. I wish them well but I wouldn't recommend an accelerated program to anyone who has never been in a pharmacy (let alone the six figure debt in a rough job index region with no plans to leave the area).

I do try to go out of my way to explain to some of my colleagues that a solid plan needs to be directed to the nation and not the Portland / Vancouver / Northern Cali region. I am not surprised that already on my IPPE rotation that the pharmacists are getting by with floating or 32 hr weeks in the community setting with multiple areas already shut-down. The 3 year program is already rigorous enough let alone for folks that have never been in a pharmacy and do not have time to intern and build a network within a company or simply a "niche" job.

I keep my professionalism in check, yet at the same time it is worry-some that young academically driven folks seem to have ran to pharmacy due to not getting into medical school or had minimal GPAs coming in and have already left the program. I wish them well but I wouldn't recommend an accelerated program to anyone who has never been in a pharmacy (let alone the six figure debt in a rough job index region with no plans to leave the area).

I've actually worked with and trained a few interns/graduates coming straight from Pacific (and because of that, I finally decided to apply to it this year). A couple in retail and the compounding pharmacy I've been to. In retail, well, floating is expected and you only really get a stable position once you prove your worth. My manager originally floated for a few months before becoming staff and then going onto management, but then again that was a few years ago and she was from overseas.

Also, forget applying to the Portland areas - especially to OHSU. Those positions are reserved for the cream of the crop. My manager told me she has even tried to get her staff into OHSU, but it's really competitive with 50+ applicants per position. Networking at this point is really important as I've tried to while working with over 20+ pharmacists over the course of a year and half in the pacific northwest.

I've actually worked with and trained a few interns/graduates coming straight from Pacific (and because of that, I finally decided to apply to it this year).

You applied to Pacific University's Pharmacy Program?

I've actually worked with and trained a few interns/graduates coming straight from Pacific (and because of that, I finally decided to apply to it this year). A couple in retail and the compounding pharmacy I've been to. In retail, well, floating is expected and you only really get a stable position once you prove your worth. My manager originally floated for a few months before becoming staff and then going onto management, but then again that was a few years ago and she was from overseas.

Also, forget applying to the Portland areas - especially to OHSU. Those positions are reserved for the cream of the crop. My manager told me she has even tried to get her staff into OHSU, but it's really competitive with 50+ applicants per position. Networking at this point is really important as I've tried to while working with over 20+ pharmacists over the course of a year and half in the pacific northwest.

I remember when you were first considering pharmacy last year on this site. If my memory serves me correctly, you were contemplating pharmacy in order to be competitive for the MD route but also looking at Optometry and Veterinary school yes?

When you say train "interns" I think you mean training them on the computer programs at your retail site as a "technician." The state of Oregon does not allow P1 students (myself included) to work with Intern privileges until the completion of year 1 (yet I could counsel OTCs for the department of defense as a military tech). Didn't you mention you actually did not want to go to Pacific University due to the block program?

Looking also at your stats, your overall GPA is below a 3.0 with no indication that you took the PCAT. The majority of students who have failed, quit, or just got by last semester were the ones that correlated with a low GPA going into the program (assuming what they have divulged to be true). Despite the state of pharmacy (which is very limited if you decide to stay in the northwest which I do not recommend), this program is rigorous and fast pace. After your Biochemistry block which is 4 weeks, expect every block exam to take place every other Friday for the remainder of your stay ( also every other Monday if you don't pass with a 90 on your Friday exams). It can be overwhelming but doable. Just keep that in mind when considering a 3 year program.

However, if you are still contemplating pharmacy simply because you are not qualified to apply to other healthcare programs, I strongly recommend that you consider other options and build your academic stats. If your still shadowing physicians, keep doing it. If your curious about veterinary school, shadow a vet and see what qualifications you need. However if you have changed your mind about pacific university then go in with the mindset that stress will be apart of your life and that you will need to network and prepare for opportunities outside of this region.

No offense to BC_89, but the class of 2021 (class ahead of his) did so poorly and had such a high drop out rate, the school raised tuition for the class of 2021 to make up for the students that dropped out. Currently, the classes pre-2021 all think that the class of 2022 will set the record for the highest number of students to drop out rate, the highest re-exam rates and the highest EL rates the school will have seen.

Rumors are that the class of 2021 lost out on 15+ students within the first semester. That is a lot of tuition and cost of living money that is owed back.

We did not lose 15+ people within the first semester, and the rest of us do not have to pay more tuition because of some people who did not make the cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

"Rumors also say that this year they have new professors who are making up new courses to hold students back. This course is called APPE Prep. This is a block that tests you on all the material from the prior years. The worst part of this course is that because these new professors aren’t aware of the curriculum, they created exams on topics that were never covered at PSOP. Predictably, some students didn’t pass their exams and are being held back for not knowing the answers to topics that they were never taught, but yet some how expected to know the answer to."

APPE Prep is not run by new professors. The topics we have had are ALL from the curriculum that are covered in classes. Every single proctor/resident/preceptor has a rubric to go off with and they are extremely fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone leave your class yet?

I just heard some really bad things about the P2 class, it deals with passing class notes around and violating the code of conduct. However, the school won't kick anyone out, as they need the money.
None of the class of 2021 has been kicked out due to violating the code of conduct. In fact, the classes before us violated code of conduct and that's why the school has changed the check-in process for the exam.
If you were in the same situation with us, you would have been so appreciated for the class notes that our friends passed around. It was NOTHING about the old exam, it was just class materials from last year. You made it sound like class of 2021 is so terrible but you are clearly making your class looks bad as well for bad mouthing our class (and you don't even have actual facts for your rumors)

We did not lose 15+ people

Well it is clear that students dropped out. How many students did you lose? Care to tally it out for us?

APPE Prep is not run by new professors.

So who is running APPE Prep and how long have they been at PSOP? I bet they haven't been there long.

None of the class of 2021 has been kicked out due to violating the code of conduct. You made it sound like class of 2021 is so terrible but you are clearly making your class looks bad as well for bad mouthing our class (and you don't even have actual facts for your rumors)

Why would they kick anyone out? They need the tuition money.

Unlike you, I don't get bothered about how bad my class is or was. It doesn't affect me the slightest bit. I know that the professors bad mouth your class and the class behind yours. Feel free to take it up with the professors if that fact bothers you. I also know that your class did the poorest of all the classes before on the renal block. Feel free to dispute this because this isn't just a rumor. I won't go into too much detail as I want to remain anonymous.

You should ask more informed students from your class on whether they agree or disagree with my post. It seems like you are the only one from Pacific who feels the opposite of what I have posted. That should make you critically think and reassess your opinion. Additionally, you should tell us about the job market and the 2019 graduates from Pacific and the NAPLEX pass rate.

Last edited: