Pacific University Oregon Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biochemrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Pacific University School of Pharmacy class of 2013 admission thread. I will be happy to help you and answer your questions regarding admission process for class of 2013.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an overall gpa of 2.9 and a science gpa of 2.6. Do I have any chance? I'm depressed and I really like to know T_T.

Welcome to Pacific University School of Pharmacy class of 2013 admission thread. I will be happy to help you and answer your questions regarding admission process for class of 2013.

What kind of affiliation do you have with Pacific? I'm currently applying to Pacific. I'd like to know if you're a student or school official so I can cater my questions towards what you may or may not know. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I am student who can help you with any application process. I am not a part of the admission office or ambassador, but I can help you with any question. I will try to answer your question the best I can based on my expierence from last year application process.

Tbe school has min GPA requirement 2.7 for both overall and science GPA. I do not have specific information what was the min GPA for class of 2012 or previous classes. The average was 3.4. I do not want to keep your hopes up or down. I suggest you explicitly explain why your GPA got below 3.0 in your personal statement. If you have pharmacy expierence and good letter of rec that may help you. You apply and see what will happen. The rest is upto the admission committe.
I have an overall gpa of 2.9 and a science gpa of 2.6. Do I have any chance? I'm depressed and I really like to know T_T.

Well I don't know if you have moved in yet. I am from southern California so I am used to great mild weather. I would rather go to school in the desert in Las Vegas or in Arizona because it's also close to home. What do you think about school in oregon where it rains 300 out of 365 days a year? I'm just trying to picture myself in such depressing weather.

I just completed mine yesterday and paid. By the way they have their own GPA calculator separate from Pharmcas. The program they offer is very unique.
BioChemRX - would you be able to explain exactly your experience with how the classes is broken down. It's very different from a normal semester/quarter which is very interesting. How are exams done? especially for classes that only run for 6 days?

The courses are give in the form of modified block system which is different from semester and quarter system. You focus on a certain topic of subject with different aspect relate to that particular topic. If you are in quarterly or semester system, you will have to deal with 16- 18 credit hours. At Pacific University, you have chance to study for a certain topic at time. Exams are done Friday after you finish each block. The exam includes two parts of exam. The first part is individual and the second part is group exam. If student does not pass Friday exam, he or she will have chance to retake it on Monday.
I just completed mine yesterday and paid. By the way they have their own GPA calculator separate from Pharmcas. The program they offer is very unique.
BioChemRX - would you be able to explain exactly your experience with how the classes is broken down. It's very different from a normal semester/quarter which is very interesting. How are exams done? especially for classes that only run for 6 days?

I do not care much for the weather since I become a part of Pacific University for the best Pharmay program. Yes, you can stay close to home and enjoy your weather. For myself, I have seen hursh weather in the east coast so I will go anywhere to get the best education.
Well I don't know if you have moved in yet. I am from southern California so I am used to great mild weather. I would rather go to school in the desert in Las Vegas or in Arizona because it's also close to home. What do you think about school in oregon where it rains 300 out of 365 days a year? I'm just trying to picture myself in such depressing weather.

thanks for that info... as for the exams - sounds really unique. do you feel that you learn your materials better? are you given study guides? how are professors like? I tried looking at ratemyprofessor, but I couldn't get anything about the pharmacy program. anymore info about the program, exam, testguides, etc would be great.

as for the group? can you pick your group member? etc?

When you applied last year did you submit your application before the priority date?

I learn my material as the professor lay it out. I basically will have pp ahead of time so you can do your preparation for class. You can take not during class and study based on that. As for study guide, professor will advise you what they want you to focus on. I have no idea about ratemyprofessor.com. As for griup, it is assigned any you cannot pic your group. I submited my application before the priority deadline which will give you to have your application review early. I did submit my application before the deadline.
thanks for that info... as for the exams - sounds really unique. do you feel that you learn your materials better? are you given study guides? how are professors like? I tried looking at ratemyprofessor, but I couldn't get anything about the pharmacy program. anymore info about the program, exam, testguides, etc would be great.

as for the group? can you pick your group member? etc?

When you applied last year did you submit your application before the priority date?

Biochemrx,

In last years application cycle, about what time frame did you apply? Was it in August or September...and did you apply before priority deadline? Second, when did you receive your interview offer? And finally, how many days/weeks after your interview did you receive your admission decision? Lol thanks

Hey,
i applied in mid of September. It was way before priority deadline. I recieved interview invitation around the end of November. I think I got the answer a month after my interveiw.

Biochemrx,

In last years application cycle, about what time frame did you apply? Was it in August or September...and did you apply before priority deadline? Second, when did you receive your interview offer? And finally, how many days/weeks after your interview did you receive your admission decision? Lol thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem- thanks for being so helpful in this forum. Do you guys have a cut off gpa? say 3.0? or 2.0?

based on what the website says, the school seems to be very focused on teamwork and experience. does pharmacy experience have a large part in interview invites?

biochemrx,

i'm also interested in applying for this school. how are the rotations (IPPE/APPE) and what sites does pacific university have affiliations with? is this school more clinical/hospital oriented or would you say this school focuses on retail?

The pharmacy school does require some hours of expierence. I think they require 40 hours of working, voluntree, or shadowing pharmacist. The more expierence you have the better that may have weight on your application to be invit for interview. For IPPE, the school is involved more in to the community base pharmacy student expierence, but first year student will have IPPE every other week. It depends where each student work in retail, clinicla or community based hospitals.

I am student who can help you with any application process. I am not a part of the admission office or ambassador, but I can help you with any question. I will try to answer your question the best I can based on my expierence from last year application process.

Hi can you please please help me with this topic:

The vision of Pacific University School of Pharmacy is to graduate pharmaceutical care providers who have the knowledge and skills to be agents of change and advance innovative approaches to improving public health and care to diverse populations in their communities. In your own words, please describe how, as a pharmacist, you are going to support Pacific's vision and advance of the field of pharmacy. Please be as specific as possible.

i do not know how to answer it,

my email is: [email protected]

The vision of Pacific University School of Pharmacy is to graduate pharmaceutical care providers who have the knowledge and skills to be agents of change and advance innovative approaches to improving public health and care to diverse populations in their communities. In your own words, please describe how, as a pharmacist, you are going to support Pacific's vision and advance of the field of pharmacy. Please be as specific as possible.

I'm also applying to Pacific University, and I think the purpose of the question is to see how much you know about the field. I think if you just say what your plan post-pharmacy school, you should be able to provide an answer they're looking for.

I have a question about the secondary App. It requires me to fill in pre-req classes such as bio/chem/econ/speech.

I went to a quarter system school. Pacific instructed me to divide the units by 1.5 before putting it in.

For example: my 4 unit public speaking class divide by 1.5 is 2.67.

The problem is that Pacific requires 3 semester units of public speaking and 3 units of economics. Technically in semester units, I only have 2.67 units of it. I am scared that a computer scanning the supplemental app might disqualify me while a person CHECKING my secondary app would be okay. Are any of you guys from a quarter system? Did you input 2.67 units if it was a 4 quarter unit class?

Hi Socal, I'm in the same situation, coming from a school that uses the quarter system. But fear not -- if you look at Pacific's prereq worksheet, it says "2.67 semester credits acceptable" for public speaking and econ (along with math, psych, etc).

Check it out: http://www.pacificu.edu/pharmd/admissions/prerequisites/documents/PharmPrereqEval10.pdf

Good luck!

WOW thanks. I completely missed this worksheet. LOL SDN is so useful. Thanks and good luck =)

Has anybody received an interview invite yet?? I really hope I make it to the very first one :)

Current p3 here. The school's program is very unique and I am on my 3rd rotation right now. I feel very prepared for my rotations despite the non-traditional layout. In fact, a lot of times when I discuss how a drug works or answering a patient's question, I can flashback to the lecture or the clinical skills day where I studied that topic. It's a very interactive/hands on program.

It's also nice to have it all done quick and never look back again. I find myself reviewing my book and notes during my downtime at rotation and I felt like I retained a lot. I can't believe how much I learned in such a short time.

And if you really want to get in, get some pharmacy experience first. I'm not talking about the min 40 hrs or whatever it is (which is fine), but get a meaningful (good or bad) pharmacy job that exposes you to the profession.

If you search the archives, I described my first job at Walgreens and how horrible it was. In retrospect, that probably built my "toughness" in pharmacy and now I feel I can handle any "busy" pharmacy bc I been through the worse. Those are stories that will impress the adcom because it shows you know what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck everyone.

Anybody got an interview invite yet? If yes, when was your whole application confirmed by Pacific to be complete?

I too am sort of confused about answering this question. I think this is the toughest one to answer... any help will be nice...

thank you,

art

Hello Biochemrx, I have a 4.0 GPA but I have no pharmacy experience. I did try to get some but it is really hard to get a job as a pharmacy technician without a certificate. How many chances do I have? I feel stress about it.

Hey,

When I apply last year, it was required to have at least 40 hours of pharmacy expierence. You do not have to be hired to get expierence, but you can either shadow pharmacist or volunteer. I looked at this year's criteria and the school require some hours of community work. I hope this helps.

Hello Biochemrx, I have a 4.0 GPA but I have no pharmacy experience. I did try to get some but it is really hard to get a job as a pharmacy technician without a certificate. How many chances do I have? I feel stress about it.

Nobody got their interview invitation from this school yet? Dang...I wonder when.

They took a hardline on GPA requirements this year. After telling me all summer that I was eligible to apply, they told me about 3 weeks ago that I was now ineligible... after I sent them my PharmCAS application. Rather disappointed in them.

anyone here got an invite for the first interview this Oct 16th?

Sorry, I just wonder if we have to follow strictly the word limit requirement on the 2nd application? It's stated that each response is limited to 500 words. Does it mean 500 "words" or 500 "characters including spaces"? Someone can help clarify, please. Thanks.

I believe they meant "words" not characters.

Has anybody called to ask them when they're sending out interview invites? Just wondering :rolleyes:

The first interview will be in Mid-October. You should definitely be getting those invites within the next week or 2.

Last year i got an email invite on Jan 22 when my interview date was on Feb 7th. Good luck!

anyone received interview invitation yet?

Hey guys,

I am just finishing up my application. I know it's getting late, so I am kind of concerned. I will have both my PharmCAS and supplemental apps submitted by next Monday, Oct. 5th. The only thing holding up my application is the pharmacy experience. I finally got a break this week! I interview a pharmacist tomorrow (I couldn't shadow him b/c of the rules/regulations of the corporation he works for), shadow a separate pharmacist from 9-3 on Thursday, and shadow another pharmacist from 10-4 on Sunday. So, the reason I am holding on to my application is b/c I want to talk discuss my shadowing experiences in my essay.

I graduated with my B.S. in Biology in December of 2007. Since then I have been shadowing other health care professionals, since as M.D.'s and dentists, but hadn't really "fell in love" with a career until I came across pharmacy. Do you think I should mention this gap in enrollment in my essay, or wait until admissions asks during my interview?

Also, my cumulative GPA is close to a 3.6, with a 3.45 science. I've talked to admissions several times and the admissions advisor, Lonnie, has assured me that I'll be okay if I get everything in by next week, but I'm still unsure. She also told me that pharmacy experience is no longer required, but of course it helps. Any feedback would be wonderful! Thanks :luck:

Jamie

Hey guys,

I am just finishing up my application. I know it's getting late, so I am kind of concerned. I will have both my PharmCAS and supplemental apps submitted by next Monday, Oct. 5th. The only thing holding up my application is the pharmacy experience. I finally got a break this week! I interview a pharmacist tomorrow (I couldn't shadow him b/c of the rules/regulations of the corporation he works for), shadow a separate pharmacist from 9-3 on Thursday, and shadow another pharmacist from 10-4 on Sunday. So, the reason I am holding on to my application is b/c I want to talk discuss my shadowing experiences in my essay.

I graduated with my B.S. in Biology in December of 2007. Since then I have been shadowing other health care professionals, since as M.D.'s and dentists, but hadn't really "fell in love" with a career until I came across pharmacy. Do you think I should mention this gap in enrollment in my essay, or wait until admissions asks during my interview?

Also, my cumulative GPA is close to a 3.6, with a 3.45 science. I've talked to admissions several times and the admissions advisor, Lonnie, has assured me that I'll be okay if I get everything in by next week, but I'm still unsure. She also told me that pharmacy experience is no longer required, but of course it helps. Any feedback would be wonderful! Thanks :luck:

Jamie

Lonnie made a lot of promises to me that didn't pan out, just a forewarning.

Hey guys,

Jamie

you do need a lot of pharmacy experience and the minimum requirement is 42 hours. this is just the minimum and they would like to see more.

Actually as of this year, the school does not require pharmacy experience anymore, but of course, it is always better to have some.

I just submitted my supplemental Oct 1st at 8pm, I hope that still counts as within the "priority deadline"

i submitted my app on the 30th of sept, so i don't think i'm gonna hear about getting an interview soon.

how did you get your invite? through email or a phone call?

hey chromatography- i think it should be fine. check your email though. they will send you an email

Lonnie made a lot of promises to me that didn't pan out, just a forewarning.

phathead:
I'm not sure what promises were made to you, but I can assure you that the admissions office does the best it can to try to convey consistent messages and measure all applicants on the same criteria.

As to the rest of you who may be confused by the mixed messages in this forum, I am a current student of the pharmacy class of 2012 @ Pacific U and I'd like to clear several things up for you. You can trust that my sources are credible as they are confirmed by the administrative staff.

The 40 hours of pharmacy-related work experience was PREVIOUSLY required in the past years, but pharmacy-related experience is NO LONGER required for this Fall 2010 application cycle. So you can have no pharmacy experience what-so-ever and still apply this year.

To determine if you meet the GPA requirement, you'll need to look at your PharmCAS GPA and calculate you most recent 45 semester credit. Your PharmCAS GPA will need to be at least 2.7 or higher for science GPA AND overall GPA. Your most recent 45 semester credit GPA will also need to be 2.7 or higher. And no, a GPA of 2.69 will NOTmeet the requirement. In other words, if your PharmCAS science GPA, PharmCAS overall GPA, and most recent 45 semester credit GPA is 2.7 or above, you've met the GPA criteria.

Feel free to express any other concerns or questions you may have and I will do my best to get you the information you need.

Last edited:
I did got an email, it did not say anything about if I made the priority deadline, it just said they received it

It's from Ms. Anderson, she wanted me to confirm my interview no later than Thursday of next week. I'm pretty excited!!!!:xf:

I was hoping I get to meet some of you guys also....