Pacific University - 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying to meet the deadline this week does anyone know if LOR's can be
picked up by myself or do they have to be mailed out then forwarded to Pacific?

i think they prefer to have everything mailed together (transcripts, lor)

Members don't see this ad.

Right together but can I personally pick them up from LOR's then place in envelope with transcripts or do the LOR's need to mail the REC letter first to myself then I forward it to Pacific? I'm running out of time I don't think I'll get them in time if they have to mail them to me Thanks

Right together but can I personally pick them up from LOR's then place in envelope with transcripts or do the LOR's need to mail the REC letter first to myself then I forward it to Pacific? I'm running out of time I don't think I'll get them in time if they have to mail them to me Thanks

pick them up from recommender and then send them with everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my application online on the 19th and mailed my LOR and transcripts but I havent recieved any emails, does it say its from pacific university?:p

I sent in my application online on the 19th and mailed my LOR and transcripts but I havent recieved any emails, does it say its from pacific university?:p

i got a confirmation of everything being received less than a week after i sent it in

if it's been a long time u should double check w/ them just in case :)

So, we meet the deadline as long as it is postmarked by 9/28?

i am finishing up my application...i have a question which i wanted to ask u guys...i am not sure if we need to include all the science class grades to calculate the science gpa? or just the pre-requisite science grades? can some1 help me...please...thanks..:)

So, we meet the deadline as long as it is postmarked by 9/28?

I believe so! u can always double check to make sure.

i am finishing up my application...i have a question which i wanted to ask u guys...i am not sure if we need to include all the science class grades to calculate the science gpa? or just the pre-requisite science grades? can some1 help me...please...thanks..:)

I have taken too many Bio courses to be all included in that section, so for that 'pre req' worksheet all I did was listed the courses that they requried (ie Gen Bio... etc etc). However, for calculation of science GPA, you do that yourself, and you should include every science courses u've taken. Double-checked w/ Lonnie and she said it's correct! :thumbup:

If I repeated a course, should I list them both on the prereq. worksheet?
I know this might seem stupid, but where should I check R(repeated) between those 2 classes? :confused:
Also, do I need to list all the courses under each category on the worksheet? or can I just list required prereqs?
please help!!!

If I repeated a course, should I list them both on the prereq. worksheet?
I know this might seem stupid, but where should I check R(repeated) between those 2 classes? :confused:
Also, do I need to list all the courses under each category on the worksheet? or can I just list required prereqs?
please help!!!

If the repeated course was a pre-req - put both - then designate one with an R, then the other with your final grade (you should also include the grade received from your 1st attempt)

Remember - it is just a worksheet to let you know where you stand with the pre-reqs. It is not used to calculate your GPA in any way (you do that for real on the application itself).

Secondly - the priority deadline is more of a guideline. If you have your app in on the 28th - thats good - if you have it in on the 3rd - that really only means you turned it in several days later...

Applications are reviewed on a 1st come, 1st served basis. It includes the time passed over the priority deadline - so if you get your app in before the priority deadline, it will be reviewed before everyone after the deadline - but that is as far as the priority deadline works.

You receive no benefit (other than getting reviewed early, which is big) for making the priority deadline. Dont stress - just get your app in as soon as possible.

~above~

Yea I finally got the application in!!! Now it's time to worry...

Aboveliquidice~ You are awesome!
Thank you for your kind answers...This world would be so peaceful
if everyone is like you! ^^

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree. :):):D:):D:)

:bow: hahah - most of the people here are hella cool - We have a good time - despite some rough days... I had some pretty awesome help from the first Pacific class - so its a good thing if you guys can get the same help from me.

P.S. - did any of you go to the open house last night???

~above~

aboveliquidice i attended the open house last night. You guys did an awesome job and it was great to meet the students and faculty. :)

:bow: hahah - most of the people here are hella cool - We have a good time - despite some rough days... I had some pretty awesome help from the first Pacific class - so its a good thing if you guys can get the same help from me.

P.S. - did any of you go to the open house last night???

~above~

hi above,

i wasnt able to go to the open house last nite.... too $$$ to travel. Could you fill me in briefly of what goes on during the open house? thanks a million!

aboveliquidice i attended the open house last night. You guys did an awesome job and it was great to meet the students and faculty. :)

Im glad you came out... I am interested in hearing what you thought of the open house - and anything you wish we had said.

I was on the student panel at the end of the tour - the guy in the red dress shirt.

~above~

hi above,

i wasnt able to go to the open house last nite.... too $$$ to travel. Could you fill me in briefly of what goes on during the open house? thanks a million!

Lonnie & one of the Asst. Deans go over the program, accredidation, and the application process. Then there is a brief tour of the building, and then an open session for questions. The Q & A part is the best for applying students because you get to ask questions to people that have already completed the process. Some people asked some tough questions - and it was pretty cool to get a "real" understanding of the day-to-day life of a pharmacy student.

~above~

Hi Above,

What does Pacific consider a competitive applicant? Cumlative and science GPA? which is weighted heavier?

Thanks!

Lonnie & one of the Asst. Deans go over the program, accredidation, and the application process. Then there is a brief tour of the building, and then an open session for questions. The Q & A part is the best for applying students because you get to ask questions to people that have already completed the process. Some people asked some tough questions - and it was pretty cool to get a "real" understanding of the day-to-day life of a pharmacy student.

~above~

I am just wondering do Pacific Students interview the incoming students as well as the faculty?

I am just wondering do Pacific Students interview the incoming students as well as the faculty?

The interview is 2 on one - One interviewer will be a member of the faculty, and one member will be a local pharmacist. Last year, one student was chosen to be an interviewer. This year, I believe the same student was also be interviewing - They are talking about having one person from our class interview as well - but that is just a maybe.

As to the question of what Pacific weighs more heavily - there are (5) different areas of the application that evaluated - I have never been told exactly what the (5) areas are (or rather how they are broken down) - but I do know they are evaluated equally. I believe GPA is just one of them. They look at all three of your GPAs - but I could not tell you which is more important. From my experience - it seems that Pacific is looking for people that are READY to become a pharmacist.

This refers to academic maturity, along with other areas of your life. One thing I can say is to be genuine - the Asst. Dean and the student who interviewed last year spoke very pointedly about being able to see who was genuine, and who was not.

~above~

Hello all,

PU usually looks for well rounded students. If you check out our class (P1), we have young (21 yr old) to old (40 plus) and everything in between. You have Economics majors like myself, sociology majors, and of course science majors It really is a mixture of everything but one thing that stays consistent is maturity.

Confidence is another thing. Academics counts but it usually isn't weighted as heavily than other schools. If you can land an interview, it really is up to you to show you can handle pressure, present yourself in a mature manner, and be confident.

One thing I can guarantee is PU will never churn out boring, shy, and timid pharmacists. :)

Good luck everyone. I will definitely be there during the interviews to help out.

Thank you very much guys for very good info!!!

Yet another question... I submitted my application last week. Everything was in order, or I thought it was. I received an e-mail from someone from the admissions saying that I didn't complete my GPA form. I actually did, but I wonder if I did everything the way they wanted it done. I filled out the total hours, total points, and the GPA fields (the two lower fields) in the application. Am I supposed to fill out each box under each letter grade. Would that be the right way to do it. Is there something else that has to be added to the application, such as exact calculations on a seperate sheet, or a list of classes that I used to calculate the GPA?

Yet another question... I submitted my application last week. Everything was in order, or I thought it was. I received an e-mail from someone from the admissions saying that I didn't complete my GPA form. I actually did, but I wonder if I did everything the way they wanted it done. I filled out the total hours, total points, and the GPA fields (the two lower fields) in the application. Am I supposed to fill out each box under each letter grade. Would that be the right way to do it. Is there something else that has to be added to the application, such as exact calculations on a seperate sheet, or a list of classes that I used to calculate the GPA?

I was curious did you do it online or paper?

Hello PharmDream,

Hmm what I did for my application was I went ahead and attach a separate sheet containing my work and calculations for the three separate GPA's. I listed what classes I used and during what term, how many hours they are for each and the total points I earned.

I guess they want to know where exactly the hours are coming from. So I got an e-mail saying my application was complete on Sept. 5th and that's the last time I heard from them. also a small tidbit: and I know they cashed my check on 9/24!

I think what threw me off a bit was whether to include stats and econ for the science GPA. I didn't include those at all, which got me worried. :scared:

Hello PharmDream,

Hmm what I did for my application was I went ahead and attach a separate sheet containing my work and calculations for the three separate GPA's. I listed what classes I used and during what term, how many hours they are for each and the total points I earned.

I guess they want to know where exactly the hours are coming from. So I got an e-mail saying my application was complete on Sept. 5th and that's the last time I heard from them. also a small tidbit: and I know they cashed my check on 9/24!

I think what threw me off a bit was whether to include stats and econ for the science GPA. I didn't include those at all, which got me worried. :scared:

i did mine online... i didnt specifcy where im counting my marks from at all. However, somebody on this forum said that they will doublecheck calculating of the GPAs..they just wanted to see if u can follow instructions?

hey eddie, how is pharm school treating you so far?

So far so good. Passing all my assessments, made some great friends, and slowly getting used to the Oregon life. School can be real stressful since the workload piles up by the hour. You can start off the day all caught up and by lunch time feel like you have a full night's worth of work to study for.

Overall, I'm happy with the school but there are still a few kinks to work out. I'm not a big fan of having our rotations the day before our test on Friday. I'm lucky my site is 30 minutes away and my preceptor allows me to choose my hours. Some people drive 1.5 hrs away and have to work a later shift (12pm-9pm). I don't know how they can get home by 1030pm, eat, shower, and study.

I included stats class in science gpa. Hope thats right.

i thought science GPA was all the bio,chem, physics, math you took in college? i didn't see where it mentioned to calculate econ in the science gpa.

can someone clarify.

i thought science GPA was all the bio,chem, physics, math you took in college? i didn't see where it mentioned to calculate econ in the science gpa.

can someone clarify.
stat = statistic class, it's under math. Thus, it's calculated in the science gpa.

can someone clarify.

Hey, I can't really answer your question b/c I don't know the answer to it. But anyways, something kind of makes me think econ should be included in the science GPA because it was listed under the prerequisite worksheet. However, it didn't say we had to list econ specifically when you read the instructions : "compute your GPA including all repeated courses in biology, chemistry, physics and math [...] other non-science departments should not be used." But of course, the best way to be sure is to e-mail and ask before submitting the application.

I included stats class in science gpa. Hope thats right.

Some weeks ago, I went ahead and e-mailed the admissions. Lonnie replied and said it's absolutely fine if you included your statistics course in your science GPA. She said she was also working with the admissions committee to clarify these issues; therefore it won't negatively affect you.

Hey, I can't really answer your question b/c I don't know the answer to it. But anyways, something kind of makes me think econ should be included in the science GPA because it was listed under the prerequisite worksheet. However, it didn't say we had to list econ specifically when you read the instructions : "compute your GPA including all repeated courses in biology, chemistry, physics and math [...] other non-science departments should not be used." But of course, the best way to be sure is to e-mail and ask before submitting the application.

thanks starrfishes, i already sent in my app. so we'll see.

So far so good. Passing all my assessments, made some great friends, and slowly getting used to the Oregon life. School can be real stressful since the workload piles up by the hour. You can start off the day all caught up and by lunch time feel like you have a full night's worth of work to study for.

Overall, I'm happy with the school but there are still a few kinks to work out. I'm not a big fan of having our rotations the day before our test on Friday. I'm lucky my site is 30 minutes away and my preceptor allows me to choose my hours. Some people drive 1.5 hrs away and have to work a later shift (12pm-9pm). I don't know how they can get home by 1030pm, eat, shower, and study.

Hey eddie269:

Rotations start for p1 students? Just curious! Are these rotation sites at hospitals? Retail setting?

No worries you can answer this at anytime. :D. Keep up the great work by the way! Glad it's going good for you! :D

hmm i dont understand why u'd include Econ as a science just b/c its a prereq.... u wouldnt include psych as a science GPA just b/c its pre-req also! so no i dont think econ counts as a science credit at all.

I was wondering for those who completed the application online and have sent in their LORs and transcripts, did you ever receive a confirmation that everything is complete?

I submitted my application online and mailed in the other forms. I received confirmation about a week later by email that everything had been received.

I hope Lonnie was right and we will be receiving stuff in mid october.

Do you know when is the first interview date? Is this info on their website?

I submitted the paper application back in August. I got the confirmation email soon after that. But, nothing since then.

I'm getting anxious. :confused: Anyone else with me? :D

I submitted the paper application back in August. I got the confirmation email soon after that. But, nothing since then.

sometime in Nov.

I don't have any specifics. But, one other thing that i heard is rejections will be sent out along with invites for applicants.

Lonnie said that students will be invited for interviews mid- to late october and scheduled in november:)

I submitted my application online and mailed in the other forms. I received confirmation about a week later by email that everything had been received.

Hi! The confirmation you received by email, was that from Lonnie herself?

:p how do you know what tier you are in I keep seeing people put that?

Same here! I get nervous butterflies thinking about it. :p I'm glad time goes fairly quickly due to school and work.