Pacific University - 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
quick pharmCAS question,

can we e-submit if our LORs haven't been written yet but names have been provided? or do i have to wait til i know they are in?

Members don't see this ad.

are you adding classes to pharmCAS or is there another set of inputs needed for UOP directly in terms of adding classes.

you are supposed to add all planned courses. in my case, if i didn't put them, my app would be thrown away because it's stating that i don't plan on completing the necessary pre-reqs

hmm ur on the wrong thread! this is for pacific u in oregon...the one ur looking for is U of Pacific in cali.

I'm debating the same thing.. The online supp was supposed to be up Aug 1.. but when you follow the link, the site says later in August.. I'm guessing it'll be up shortly.

I'll prob go the online route since I have to wait another week until my summer transcript becomes available. :)

I agree with Koni, I'll be doing the online application. I'm currently finishing up my observations and hopefully if all goes well will still try to meet the priority deadline. (Incidentally, good luck to you both!) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
whew! finally completed my application/supplemental today!

BTW, Lonnie said that they have NOT selected anybody for the first batch of interviews yet, and the first interview won't be held until early Nov... so I think every thing's running a bit late due to the online app!

good luck eveybody :)

Is the supplemenatal online, I have not seen it there?

I submitted the online application last Saturday I believe. I just got my last transcript today, so I will be sending all of the supplemental materials in today hopefully. I did have one question: it does say to submit the prereq worksheet with the application package. Is that included in the online application? Or is it the unofficial one that I sent in and received back.

To be sure, these must be included in addition to the online application:
Two LORs
All official transcripts

Is this correct? Thanks.

the prereq worksheet I mailed to them 2-3 weeks ago and recieved it back yesterday, Lonnie told me it was optional, it's jut a guildeline for you to let you know if your on the right track with Pacifics specific requirements

Ok. I just got this from Lonnie Anderson.

"Let me first introduce myself - my name is Lonnie Anderson and I am the new Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions for the School of Pharmacy...

As for your Science GPA calculation - you need only to include general biology courses when computing this GPA. As for the statistics class, since that is a "math" course - yes, you should include that class."

So that means we don't include other science courses?? I guess the math part is correct, but man, I getting a little confused... I dunno i guess i'm going to just combine my math and science gpa from pharmcas.

That doesn't sound right I included all of science and math courses I took at university, not just the prereqs. Just following directions

From the app
"Science* GPA: All biology, chemistry, physics, and math courses you have completed, not just prerequisite
courses. Include all repeated courses."

I think Lonnie is trying to sabotage your application,.

That SOB...lol.. whatever, I just did what I thought was correct and included my upper division science classes and I already submitted my app about 2 days ago.. i guess i'll have to wait and see if i did it correct. Anyways, Pacific isn't my top choice school...

That SOB...lol.. whatever, I just did what I thought was correct and included my upper division science classes and I already submitted my app about 2 days ago.. i guess i'll have to wait and see if i did it correct.

Easy killers - I have met Lonnie - she is very sweet and well intentioned...

I would counter correspond with her - Let her know that there is a possible discrepancy - she may not have understood the question (for some reason)

Just an interesting tidbit of info for those applying...

Pacific is looking at having (4) interview sessions this year - these have already been decided upon. There is a possibility of a 5th interview date - but that has not been finalized.

~above~

Easy killers - I have met Lonnie - she is very sweet and well intentioned...

I would counter correspond with her - Let her know that there is a possible discrepancy - she may not have understood the question (for some reason)

Just an interesting tidbit of info for those applying...

Pacific is looking at having (4) interview sessions this year - these have already been decided upon. There is a possibility of a 5th interview date - but that has not been finalized.

~above~

Do you know the set days for the interview sessions? :D I hope they start sending out invites for interviews soon.. All this waiting around is starting to get to me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone have an Rph write their letter of recommendation? I believe that Janelle told me in June that you must shadow underneath a Pharm D. Thanks!

it says it's highly recommended you get a LOR from a pharmacist. so when they say that, that means you pretty much should. anyone NOT have a LOR from a pharmacist?

When Filling out online application where prerequisites are listed do you include all physics courses one took like Physics I & II or do you only list one of the classes since only one is required? Hope I made sense :)

When Filling out online application where prerequisites are listed do you include all physics courses one took like Physics I & II or do you only list one of the classes since only one is required? Hope I made sense :)

hihi:

well since i've taken two physics.. i just listed them both. I've listed everything that seemed relevant to what is required... ie gen bio etc etc... however, i didn't list the extra bio courses that i took (ie genetics)

so for physics, even tho only 3credits are required.. i listed both classes.

i have a feeling that the pre-req worksheet isn't even really looked at? don't they base it on ur 3 calculated GPA... so the pre-req worksheet is just to see how many more classes ur lacking?

it says it's highly recommended you get a LOR from a pharmacist. so when they say that, that means you pretty much should. anyone NOT have a LOR from a pharmacist?

i do not have one from an RPh, i felt my 2nd letter was stronger coming from my research advisor with whom i worked with for a full year vs. the pharmacists at work with whom i have been ringing registers for the past 5 weeks with.

i really wish pac u were part of pharmcas, would make my life a WHOLE lot easier :thumbdown:

i do not have one from an RPh, i felt my 2nd letter was stronger coming from my research advisor with whom i worked with for a full year vs. the pharmacists at work with whom i have been ringing registers for the past 5 weeks with.

i really wish pac u were part of pharmcas, would make my life a WHOLE lot easier :thumbdown:

i hear they will be soon. But, for us it's a good thing. too many people apply to schools that they most likely won't go with pharmacs.

^^ yeah true, but for every school not on pharmcas, I have to spend an additional $30 on transcripts since I've attended so many random colleges. Kind of a pain...but eh, we'll see.

^^ yeah true, but for every school not on pharmcas, I have to spend an additional $30 on transcripts since I've attended so many random colleges. Kind of a pain...but eh, we'll see.

i don't know about u guys but i really hate pharmcas! it would be good if it sends EVERYTHING to a school.... however it seems like a lot of pharmcas-participating schools ask u for all the stuff all over again (ie coursework..LOR... etc)... ie theres really no point for me to pay for pharmcas to begin with... so it's just a big money grabbing scheme. :thumbdown:

i don't know about u guys but i really hate pharmcas! it would be good if it sends EVERYTHING to a school.... however it seems like a lot of pharmcas-participating schools ask u for all the stuff all over again (ie coursework..LOR... etc)... ie theres really no point for me to pay for pharmcas to begin with... so it's just a big money grabbing scheme. :thumbdown:

I agree completely. I had to do so many prereq worksheets. Which takes so much time... We pay such high app fee that these schools can just look at pharmcas and figure it out themselves. The LOR is the most annoying.... The recommender is looking at you and saying WTF do I need to do the same **** all over again.

Hello EVERYONE! Has anyone heard anything from Pacific yet? The last email I received was from Vicki and I dont know if anyone noticed the date on the email it was for August of 2006 and not 2007. Did anyone receive the same error? Also, I heard that for last year Pacific start their first interviews on the last week of October, but for this year is November. Thank you everyone

Hello EVERYONE! Has anyone heard anything from Pacific yet? The last email I received was from Vicki and I dont know if anyone noticed the date on the email it was for August of 2006 and not 2007. Did anyone receive the same error? Also, I heard that for last year Pacific start their first interviews on the last week of October, but for this year is November. Thank you everyone

hi hi

Lonnie said for the people that meet the priority deadline... we won't hear back from them until about early or mid Oct.... so just gotta hang tight >.<

geeesh.... the long wait, I guess we have to wait for one more month but it seems like forever

geeesh.... the long wait, I guess we have to wait for one more month but it seems like forever

well. Seems like most cali schools don't even look at apps till november, maybe except UOP.

So, mid october doesn't sound bad to me right now.

I am getting really frustrated. My professor who had two months to write a letter of recommendation has not done it yet... AHH... he's delaying me in the whole process. I hope he gets it done this week, otherwise I am not gonna make it for the first deadline... You guys have any suggestions... ???

I am getting really frustrated. My professor who had two months to write a letter of recommendation has not done it yet... AHH... he's delaying me in the whole process. I hope he gets it done this week, otherwise I am not gonna make it for the first deadline... You guys have any suggestions... ???

I had a similar situation with a pharmacist. I tried to think of a smooth way to send a reminder to him. My professor had been a little confused about the process of signing the envelope and sending it back to me, so I used that as a topic for an email to the pharmacist. I explained in more detail exactly how to finish the recommendation since someone else had been confused by it. I then just added a quick line or two about how I needed to get it in by such and such a date. He had it in the mail the next day.

If you have another option (who is really on the ball), you might ask him or her to do a recommendation as well. Then if one of them doesn't come through, you can still use the other one.

ya my pharmacy manager was like that... I gave him the LOR for a whole month in advance but he kept putting it off. Luckily I work with him once or twice a week so I just sort of remind him jokingly every shift (I think he was slightly annoyed). The other pharmacist that we work with finished my LOR way in advance... so I just sort of put it out there and let him know he's the only one hindering my process and i *Eventually* got my LOR back a month later..

I had a similar situation with a pharmacist. I tried to think of a smooth way to send a reminder to him. My professor had been a little confused about the process of signing the envelope and sending it back to me, so I used that as a topic for an email to the pharmacist. I explained in more detail exactly how to finish the recommendation since someone else had been confused by it. I then just added a quick line or two about how I needed to get it in by such and such a date. He had it in the mail the next day.

If you have another option (who is really on the ball), you might ask him or her to do a recommendation as well. Then if one of them doesn't come through, you can still use the other one.

This is good advice - The waiting game is pretty rough - In fact, I think it was the part I liked the least - but keep focused on what you are doing. Keep your grades up - and make sure you turn everything in as soon as possible. Sending appropriate, polite reminders is perfectly acceptable.

Koni - Sorry - I have no word on when invites will be sent out... Sit tight - If you have a decent GPA - write some decent essays - you will get an invite. From there, the ball is completely in your court.

~above~

This is good advice - The waiting game is pretty rough - In fact, I think it was the part I liked the least - but keep focused on what you are doing. Keep your grades up - and make sure you turn everything in as soon as possible. Sending appropriate, polite reminders is perfectly acceptable.

Koni - Sorry - I have no word on when invites will be sent out... Sit tight - If you have a decent GPA - write some decent essays - you will get an invite. From there, the ball is completely in your court.

~above~

ah shucks.... Thanks for the response. I think the waiting part is the worst too..

ah shucks.... Thanks for the response. I think the waiting part is the worst too..

hey koni:

just out of curiosity (i realize it says ur from hawaii)... how come u are not applying to UH? or time for a change of scenery?

hey koni:

just out of curiosity (i realize it says ur from hawaii)... how come u are not applying to UH? or time for a change of scenery?

I actually added on UH to my pharmcas last week, although I e-submitted in back in July.. I'm still debating whether I want to stay in the islands. I've been here for so long and I've never lived in any other state. I guess I just feel that I should live a little and take a chance. Gain new experiences. Are you applying to UH-Hilo?

I've gone to UH-Manoa for 5 years now but I've never seen the Hilo campus. All I've heard is that it rains ALOT in Hilo. Lol.

I actually added on UH to my pharmcas last week, although I e-submitted in back in July.. I'm still debating whether I want to stay in the islands. I've been here for so long and I've never lived in any other state. I guess I just feel that I should live a little and take a chance. Gain new experiences. Are you applying to UH-Hilo?

I've gone to UH-Manoa for 5 years now but I've never seen the Hilo campus. All I've heard is that it rains ALOT in Hilo. Lol.

How cool... was Dr. Janice Smith your organic professor? My organic text book was written by her... it says she is from UH-Manoa. That is very neat.

Hello to all 2008 Pacific University hopefuls,

I just want to wish everyone, those who posted on this thread (yay SDNers!!) the greatest luck in the application process. Bless us all. :)

p.s. I can't believe it's almost the end of September already... :eek:

How cool... was Dr. Janice Smith your organic professor? My organic text book was written by her... it says she is from UH-Manoa. That is very neat.

Yeah! Wow, I thought only we used her book. I love her organic chemistry book. She was an excellent professor-- and I can only say that about 2 or 3 of the professors I've had in my entire college career. When you get to the part about enantiomers, there is a picture of her 2 adopted sons in their baseball outfits (if i remember correctly). :)

Hey all - just to let you know that the first interview date will be early November - date has not yet been set - This is coming from an Assistant Dean, so I'm pretty sure its legitimate. On a side note - most of us passed the 2nd assessment today - which means 3 day weekend... holla

~above~

haha thanks Above =)

i dont noe how i feel about a 90% as passing rate.... do-able? or extremely stressful?

Thanks for the INFO ~above~

Above, you are such a nerd. haha jk

You talking to me??? hahah

The 90% is do-able - and it is definitely stressful. Think about how you study for the big tests in your most important class. You go over all of the information, until you are blue in the face. You have to study in this manner for every exam. You have to master all of the information, b/c 90% leaves little room for confusion. At some point - there is more info that you can possibly take in - that is where it gets a little sketchy - but for now the info has been manageable - you just need to be dutiful in your studying.

As to the questions about our day to day life...

Class starts at 0800 - we have (3) hours of lecture in the morning. In that morning block, we have 10 min breaks (usually) every hour, and we may have some group work.

Lunch is from 1100-1200

We then have (3) hours of afternoon lecture very similar to the morning's. Thats it.

Every other Thursday we have your Experiential Education (a quasi-internship) and the very next day after our internship, we have our assessment (which is also every other week).

If you pass your assessment - you get the following Monday off, along with the weekend - The following Tuesday is Seminar - which includes about (8) different classes in one, including pharmacy calculations, Top 200, Ethics, Professionalism, Etiquette, etc...

After Tuesday's seminar - its back to the cycle. Each assessment has 36 hours of lecture - not too bad. Hope that gives you guys an idea of what our schedule is like.

~above~

so what happens if you get a 88%, and don't pass your assessment? :scared:

I applied to the school and I am waiting for an interview know.....if I get one..hope so...

So then...if a student does not pass the exam, what do they do on Monday?

Thanks

how many people typically don't pass from first try? Have there been people who failed second attempt as well?

If you get 89% - you did not pass the assessment.

Testing is at 0800 on Friday - with the group assessment (same test, but taken in your teams of 6) is at 1000 - if your group gets 95% or better, you get +5% on your individual test. So If you scored 85%, but your group got 95% - then you passed your assessment. Now, some groups did not get the 95%, so there whole group did not the extra 5%, which is why a lot of people did not pass the first assessment.

My team is pretty awesome - and we have gotten the 5% both assessments thus far.

If, even after your group test, you do not have 90% - reassessment occurs on the following monday. That assessment is very similar to the Friday's assessment, as both tests are written at the same time.

If you do not pass Monday's reassessment - then you have to come back in the summer (during your 6 weeks off) to take the block again. You can take a maximum of 6 blocks again in the summer - but if you fail any of them, you will be asked to leave the program. So far - I think we have 15 or 20 students that have to come back over the summer - however that number is more than the entire first year class had return over the summer. I think the first assessment was just very difficult, and it caught people off guard.

The first pharmacy class (now P2s) - lost only two students from year one to year two - which is pretty impressive - Pacific really wants to work with you to make sure you succeed. I know it sounds rough now - but its pharmacy school - its supposed to be.

~above~

I'm trying to meet the deadline this week does anyone know if LOR's can be
picked up by myself or do they have to be mailed out then forwarded to Pacific?