Pacific U - Roll Call and Info thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Congrats Gsinccom! I emailed Mr. Larsen yesterday. And he responded back today saying that he will look at my file once he gets back into the office next week. So, hope this is a good sign since he didnt say "no" off the bat....

ipinjoy,

thanks for the update. I just sent him an e-mail asking if I could delay a remaining biology pre-requisite till this Summer as I had been scheduled to take it this Spring. I am not even sure if I actually need it or not but if I do I do hope to wait till this Summer to take it (which usually ends on August 3rd at my school and not July 15th).

talk to you later.

G

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything about the Dunes motel? Their rate is only 45 bucks a night which is great but it makes me think it might be a dump. I only found one review for it and it was back in 2003 but it said that is was really clean, and that is the only thing i am really concerned with. It is also right across the street from the school which is nice.

Its clean by ghetttttttttoooooo. they type of place that will make you never want to go to hillsboro again. invest and stay some place nicer. i regret staying there. tainted to whole experience.

If anyone who lives in Chicago and got an interview date on Jan 20, please let me know. I got a killer deal on ticket,hotel,free breakfast,and transportation to the school and back to the hotel.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone who lives in Chicago and got an interview date on Jan 20, please let me know. I got a killer deal on ticket,hotel,free breakfast,and transportation to the school and back to the hotel.

What hotel are you staying at? How much was your package?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Am in.Just went to my mail box and have my acceptance.This year could not have ended any better. Thank God.
So see you all next Year. Its gonna be AWESOME
Interviwed on 9th Dec

Congratulations!

anyone live in the bay area and has heard anything from pacific? im from sf and i went to the dec 9th interview..

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Am in.Just went to my mail box and have my acceptance.This year could not have ended any better. Thank God.
So see you all next Year. Its gonna be AWESOME
Interviwed on 9th Dec

Wow congrats. Looks like i'm probably not gonna get anytin nov 18th interview and nothing. O wells wish i did better on my interview

Thank u all for ur Congrats.I live in Houston and interviewed on Sat Dec 9th and got accepted on Dec 20th that is the day the letter was typed and sent out.
Anyway not great stats have some pharmacy Tech exprience and had 3.67 GPA, got some fun personality and thats pretty much. And i applied really ealy like Sep.
Had applied to pacific and USN and have interview with USN on Jan 17th guess we r the first batch to be interviewed and applied really early like October.
To all who helped me get to Hillsboro by ur great support, THANK U

Anyway not great stats have some pharmacy Tech exprience and had 3.67 GPA, got some fun personality and thats pretty much. And i applied really ealy like Sep.

Do you already have a degree? If accepted to USN will you choose them over Pacific?

Do you already have a degree? If accepted to USN will you choose them over Pacific?

No degree is required in either of this two schools so i dont need a degree but yes i will choose vegas over hillsboro for sure. But i am sending out my pacific deposit asap just incase and am done with all their pre req so am ready for any school.
Not to sound selfish but am in the first group to be interviwed in USN so i will make sure to let any school know asap so somebody can get that spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
No degree is required in either of this two schools so i dont need a degree but yes i will choose vegas over hillsboro for sure. But i am sending out my pacific deposit asap just incase and am done with all their pre req so am ready for any school.
Not to sound selfish but am in the first group to be interviwed in USN so i will make sure to let any school know asap so somebody can get that spot.

They are both 3 years pharmacy program. You can get NAPLEX exam either of school you attend. PU has long history as health science school.
What is your reason choosing USN over PU?

I don't know if I'm anxious about starting at Pacific, or what my problem is, but I've had two vivid and bad dreams about school in the last week.

First, I dreamt I was in lecture, and I started mouthing off to the professor, because I didn't like her. She got angry and tried to kick me out of Pacific, but for some reason it didn't work. The next day I came back and lead a mutiny of the class and the prof quit. Weird.

Second, I dreamt my roommate from college was also attending Pacific. She got pissed at me because she found out I had also applied to other schools, and thought I did it behind her back. Then we had "practical," which actually resembled rounds as part of medical school, and I was assigned to perform rectal exams all day (I've been watching too much Grey's Anatomy). After my day of rectal exams there was a class potluck. That was the end of the dream.

Anyway, I thought I'd share. Anyone else having strange anxiety about Pacific?

I called PU today to find out the status of my application.
She was trying to check through the system but my application did not show up. She said my application did not update to the system yet.
Well it has been a month? Is this the normal process of PU?
People are getting interview call who applied same date as me.

I'm new to the this... so here goes. I just talked to Pacific, I think his name was Jon-Eric, and he was great. Best of the schools I have talked with. My app was also in at the begging of Dec. I guess they had about 500 apps arrive within a couple of weeks. They are a bit slammed. I think he said they have 3 more interview days. Hope I get one. I took the trip up there during the end of summer to see the building. It Kicked butt. Can't see why I would want to go anywhere else. It also seems like everyone has been so nice and down to earth. Looking forward to maybe meeting some of you down the road.

I'm new to the this... so here goes. I just talked to Pacific, I think his name was Jon-Eric, and he was great. Best of the schools I have talked with. My app was also in at the begging of Dec. I guess they had about 500 apps arrive within a couple of weeks. They are a bit slammed. I think he said they have 3 more interview days. Hope I get one. I took the trip up there during the end of summer to see the building. It Kicked butt. Can't see why I would want to go anywhere else. It also seems like everyone has been so nice and down to earth. Looking forward to maybe meeting some of you down the road.

I was curious to find out what was going on with my application. I called again and had chance to talked with Jon-Erik. He said my application sit in the middle b/c of short essay. I honstly did not summit good PS. I was busy with my school works. I was little careless. & It is ture people in PU have very very graceful voice unlike people in this big rush rush city. I hope I get one,too so that I can live up there.

I don't know if I'm anxious about starting at Pacific, or what my problem is, but I've had two vivid and bad dreams about school in the last week.

First, I dreamt I was in lecture, and I started mouthing off to the professor, because I didn't like her. She got angry and tried to kick me out of Pacific, but for some reason it didn't work. The next day I came back and lead a mutiny of the class and the prof quit. Weird.

Second, I dreamt my roommate from college was also attending Pacific. She got pissed at me because she found out I had also applied to other schools, and thought I did it behind her back. Then we had "practical," which actually resembled rounds as part of medical school, and I was assigned to perform rectal exams all day (I've been watching too much Grey's Anatomy). After my day of rectal exams there was a class potluck. That was the end of the dream.

Anyway, I thought I'd share. Anyone else having strange anxiety about Pacific?

OMG... the answer is YES!!!!!! I think I have developed an ulcer these last 2 weeks! Seriously.. hopefully this weird anxiety will subside. I keep trying to justify it all with "stress over the holidays", but the truth is I am freaking out. Oh well. I think it is more or less that I am just sitting here rotting in Fargo, ND for another semester waiting for my "real" life to begin. I only have 8 credits to finish up to fulfill the requirements, so this semester should be a breeze. I am just anticipating moving back to Portland..... the cost of moving.... getting settled again..... starting school.... meeting my fellow classmates and getting into a routine. As for the dreams; they haven't started yet, but I was dying of laughter when I read yours! You have a vivid imagination. Hopefully you won't feel the need to start a fight with the profs! I see you have an interview coming up with OSU; Good luck! I imagine you would go there over Pacific? Probably cheaper huh? Anyway, good luck and kick butt!

OMG... the answer is YES!!!!!! I think I have developed an ulcer these last 2 weeks! Seriously.. hopefully this weird anxiety will subside. I keep trying to justify it all with "stress over the holidays", but the truth is I am freaking out. Oh well. I think it is more or less that I am just sitting here rotting in Fargo, ND for another semester waiting for my "real" life to begin. I only have 8 credits to finish up to fulfill the requirements, so this semester should be a breeze. I am just anticipating moving back to Portland..... the cost of moving.... getting settled again..... starting school.... meeting my fellow classmates and getting into a routine. As for the dreams; they haven't started yet, but I was dying of laughter when I read yours! You have a vivid imagination. Hopefully you won't feel the need to start a fight with the profs! I see you have an interview coming up with OSU; Good luck! I imagine you would go there over Pacific? Probably cheaper huh? Anyway, good luck and kick butt!

Yeah, I'm going to attribute it to stress as well. My most recent worry is that I remember about 0% of Organic Chemistry. Anyway, regarding OSU, I'm actually not sure. OSU is way cheaper, even considering the 4th year. I also have a little more faith in their program, since it is so much more established. However, I like the idea of 3 years...I'm not getting any younger. That and my husband's job is in Portland, so staying in town has some big appeal. We own our house, so I don't relish the idea of selling and buying a new house, especially considering my impending drop in income:) I'm going to interview and wait to see what happens. If I get in, I'll have to sit down and weigh the two options...I've been trying to avoid thinking about it, since right now I only have one choice!

Yeah, I'm going to attribute it to stress as well. My most recent worry is that I remember about 0% of Organic Chemistry. Anyway, regarding OSU, I'm actually not sure. OSU is way cheaper, even considering the 4th year. I also have a little more faith in their program, since it is so much more established. However, I like the idea of 3 years...I'm not getting any younger. That and my husband's job is in Portland, so staying in town has some big appeal. We own our house, so I don't relish the idea of selling and buying a new house, especially considering my impending drop in income:) I'm going to interview and wait to see what happens. If I get in, I'll have to sit down and weigh the two options...I've been trying to avoid thinking about it, since right now I only have one choice!

So i applied to UOP's prepharm advantage program and USC's TAP program, and ive been accepted to OSU's undergraduate. and ive been contemplating whether or not i should apply to OSU's EAP program my senior year in highschool or my freshman year. Because i need to submit a supplementary application for OSU. i dont know if i should waste my time on it because my first choice was pacific. the same goes for USC's supp application.

So question. which definitely has the best Pharmacy/Prepharm program USC, UOP, or OSU? please help before its too late.

I have no idea, as I graduated undergrad a while back. Also, this thread is focused on Pacific University, in Hillsboro, OR (not to be confused with UOP in Cali). Good luck finding answers. Hopefully someone else can be more helpful!

I got an interview on the 20th, but I'm going to reschedule it to the 27th. I think this is the last interview date?

I got an interview on the 20th, but I'm going to reschedule it to the 27th. I think this is the last interview date?

Do you have a serious conflict on the 20th? If you have a choice, I would recommend taking the earlier interview. Since Pacific uses rolling admissions, you'll be competing for more open spots the earlier you interview!

Do you have a serious conflict on the 20th? If you have a choice, I would recommend taking the earlier interview. Since Pacific uses rolling admissions, you'll be competing for more open spots the earlier you interview!

oh man, i figure since the interview is only a week apart, pacific would review everyone in the last batch together.

oh man, i figure since the interview is only a week apart, pacific would review everyone in the last batch together.

I wish i was given that option. Too late for me know. Already paid for air tickets and hotel room. I also think that they will make a final decision after interviewing jan 27th batch. There will be couple of more interviews in feb and probably even in march.

You're probably right actually. I didn't even pay attention to the dates. I got a response on a Monday, 9 days after my Saturday interview.

hey everyone,
I got an interview on Jan 20th but I confirmed my interview to vicki simmons instead of larsen. I emailed yesterday to larsen confirming the interview but he hasn't gotten back to me. He said in the email he wished for us to get back to him by 1/8/06. Yesterday was 1/6/07. All we have to say in the email is that you accept right?? P.S. I didn't get a packet in the mail, just the e-mail...

hey everyone,
I got an interview on Jan 20th but I confirmed my interview to vicki simmons instead of larsen. I emailed yesterday to larsen confirming the interview but he hasn't gotten back to me. He said in the email he wished for us to get back to him by 1/8/06. Yesterday was 1/6/07. All we have to say in the email is that you accept right?? P.S. I didn't get a packet in the mail, just the e-mail...

Ya, I think so. They unexpectedly received 300 applications over the break and probably don't send out snail mails for notification coz it takes too long.
May I ask when did you send in ur application and when you received the email for interview invitation?

I took my mom to a Portland hospital a couple of weeks ago, and while I was waiting I found a Pacific University magazine on the table. I didn't know Pacific had a magazine.........it was cool. Anyways, there was an article about the Dean of Pharmacy......basically detailing his academic life over 2 pages. If I remember correctly, he was a pharmacist at Kaiser, then he went to Optometry school because his family practiced optometry, then he taught classes for the physician assistant program at PU and a plethora of many other things I don't remember. This guy has a very unique background. I hope he's doing well.

I wish i was given that option. Too late for me know. Already paid for air tickets and hotel room. I also think that they will make a final decision after interviewing jan 27th batch. There will be couple of more interviews in feb and probably even in march.

Gee whiz, I hope there will be more interviews!! Does anyone know this for certain? I haven't heard a single thing besides the application confirmation email and when someone said that jan 27th was the last interview, that scared me.....

Gee whiz, I hope there will be more interviews!! Does anyone know this for certain? I haven't heard a single thing besides the application confirmation email and when someone said that jan 27th was the last interview, that scared me.....

That sounds right actually. There were at least three interview in '06, and Jan 20 and Jan 27 scheduled for '07. Pacific said it would have 5-6 interview sessions. With priority deadline of October 1st, I can't see why they would need to interview into February, much less March.

hey everyone,

did you get a confirmation from Mr. Larsen yet? I emailed him friday, but i still haven't heard from him. anyone got a reply when you emailed to confirm the interview? thanks.

Hey gang - Sorry for the long absence - I have been focusing on school and family (which includes less obsession over Pacific).

Seeing as I have not heard from Pacific - I am fearing the worse. I am investigating my status with Pacific - and was directed to contact Ms. Holmboe.

Has anyone talked with her?

She holds the title of Asst. Director of Grad and Prof. Admissions - I assume this means she is Vanessa's replacement. Any thoughts?

~above~

Hey gang - Sorry for the long absence - I have been focusing on school and family (which includes less obsession over Pacific).

Seeing as I have not heard from Pacific - I am fearing the worse. I am investigating my status with Pacific - and was directed to contact Ms. Holmboe.

Has anyone talked with her?

She holds the title of Asst. Director of Grad and Prof. Admissions - I assume this means she is Vanessa's replacement. Any thoughts?

~above~

Good to see you on the forum again ~Above~!

I still believe you'll get into Pacific! Keep hope!

Janelle Holmboe was over the Optometry program admissions previously. Maybe they have moved her to Vanessa's old gig or maybe she is covering until someone permanent is in place. Jon-Erik Larsen was covering a few weeks ago so maybe it is Janelle now. http://www.pacificu.edu/search/people/ - search admissions off this link at you'll get a look at the people in the graduate and professional admissions office:)

Later,

G

Hi everyone i'm back...
I finally got in for fall of 2007 ,but there are two things that makes me worry..one is the dean,they don't say what happend to the dean or is he going to come back to school or not.. leaving venessa in middle of the year is another thing...they said she got an offer from other school for a better position but it doesn't seem right to me...

Good to see you on the forum again ~Above~!

I still believe you'll get into Pacific! Keep hope!

Janelle Holmboe was over the Optometry program admissions previously. Maybe they have moved her to Vanessa's old gig or maybe she is covering until someone permanent is in place. Jon-Erik Larsen was covering a few weeks ago so maybe it is Janelle now. http://www.pacificu.edu/search/people/ - search admissions off this link at you'll get a look at the people in the graduate and professional admissions office:)

Later,

G

In case you all missed it - UF is #1 in BBall AND FOOTBALL!!!! what a game!!!

As for Pacific:

I got an email back from Janelle an hour after my post. It took just 2 hours for a turn-around response (not bad, on par w/ Vanessa). I am on hold :(

Janelle is most likely Vanessa's replacement (as she has officially assumed the title). Jon-Erik is listed as the Director of Prof. and grad. admissions. So just a step above Janelle.

If it wasnt for excellent athletics, I might feel really bad right now...

Thanks for the vote of confidence G - if I don't get in now, I will someday...

~above~

Hi everyone i'm back...
I finally got in for fall of 2007 ,but there are two things that makes me worry..one is the dean,they don't say what happend to the dean or is he going to come back to school or not.. leaving venessa in middle of the year is another thing...they said she got an offer from other school for a better position but it doesn't seem right to me...

Am so not worried about any of that.As far as i know, the dean had an accident of some sort(very good source) and as for Venessa, she obviously wanted to climb her career ladder something she couldn't get in that school since the post is already filled.
So i have 101% faith in Pacific.
Pacific University class of 2010

Am so not worried about any of that.As far as i know, the dean had an accident of some sort(very good source) and as for Venessa, she obviously wanted to climb her career ladder something she couldn't get in that school since the post is already filled.
So i have 101% faith in Pacific.
Pacific University class of 2010

From my "very good source," I heard he was hit by a truck while riding a motorcycle, and is currently in extensive rehab. From my understanding, his return is questionable.

I just talked with a friend in the porgram, and she loves it there, and I also talked to Jon-Erik yesterday... They have three more interviews with the last interview on Feb 10. A couple of people in the admissions office are helping out with the pharmacy program, so that's why you see this other girl Janelle and Jon-Erik. They have an interim Dean, who I hear is stellar also. So things are rolling along fine there. and I was also just invited to the 20th interview, but I had a conflict so they pushed me back to the 27th. I'm super excited!! I guess they haven't invited for that day yet or the 10th. So hang in there. I heard they still are evaluating over 200 applications.

did you get a confirmation from Mr. Larsen yet? I emailed him friday, but i still haven't heard from him. anyone got a reply when you emailed to confirm the interview? thanks.

I replied to the orignal interview invite email and forwarded a copy to Mr. Larsen's address. I never received anything back after that.

I just talked with a friend in the porgram, and she loves it there, and I also talked to Jon-Erik yesterday... They have three more interviews with the last interview on Feb 10. A couple of people in the admissions office are helping out with the pharmacy program, so that's why you see this other girl Janelle and Jon-Erik. They have an interim Dean, who I hear is stellar also. So things are rolling along fine there. and I was also just invited to the 20th interview, but I had a conflict so they pushed me back to the 27th. I'm super excited!! I guess they haven't invited for that day yet or the 10th. So hang in there. I heard they still are evaluating over 200 applications.

bluehouse, congrats on your recent interview invite and thanks so much for the update! I've been waiting ever so anxiously for pacific, and I really do hope I can get an interview or SOME kind of news soon because I've been losing hope. :scared:

I spoke with Mr. Larsen today. I asked how many open seats remained. He said about half. He also informed me that the waitlist does move quite a bit, so if you are on it do not give up. Just thougtht i would share this info. I am looking forward to meeting some of you on 1/20.

I spoke with Mr. Larsen today. I asked how many open seats remained. He said about half. He also informed me that the waitlist does move quite a bit, so if you are on it do not give up. Just thougtht i would share this info. I am looking forward to meeting some of you on 1/20.

Does anyone know when it will be generated?

~above~

The email I received seemed pretty straight forward. 8:30 to 10:30 relax and learn. 10:30 - get a little nervous for the writing -11:00 relax and eat -12:00 start to get nervous for the interview. Not sure what else we need. Janelle did tell me, we get a packet when we arrive with our exact interview time and the schedule again. The interview times haven't been set yet.

~above~

My guess would be a month or so after the February 10th interview. That would give them time for the last round of acceptances and additional time to rank people on the hold list. Keep us updated when you hear anything! I am pulling for you!

~above~

A friend of mine that interviewed in December, said they were told Feb 10 was the last interview date and they will make the rest of the admits, waitlists and all that stuff after that date.

Wow, around half the seats are still open (~40)? That's great news for everyone still waiting. I thought it would be close to filled by now. The 1st batch accepted roughly 20-25 students, and the 2nd batch I assumed the same. They've since had 2-3 more interview dates. I guess they are really bombarded with app's and wanted to get the best of the best.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

since i turned my app in 11/1, i received my confirmation email 2 weeks ago and today i received the email about the courses i still "lack". is that a bad thing? will they still look at my apps and give me interview for feb/march still?

thanks

boo I just got rejected after two months of waiting:( gahhh

Status
Not open for further replies.