Pacific U - Roll Call and Info thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ray,
I got email from Mr. Larsen today. Here it is : "We are still collecting the forms. I think we will send out an update late next week."
ray

This whole process is frustrating guys - I think we will just have to be patient, allowing the situation to develop. Knowing (and accepting) that we can do nothing right now is somewhat calming - lets hang tight.

- oh ... and thanks for the updates guys - I didn't know about the deferred students - hopefully there aren't too many of them.

~above~

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
I interviewed for Pacific but didn't get in. But I get to go to OSU this fall. I was thinking that since we are the only two pharmacies in Oregon we should get some type of rivalry going here. You all are going down!! The Beavs can totally titrate circles around Pac.

Hey Guys,
I interviewed for Pacific but didn't get in. But I get to go to OSU this fall. I was thinking that since we are the only two pharmacies in Oregon we should get some type of rivalry going here. You all are going down!! The Beavs can totally titrate circles around Pac.

enough said

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhhhhhhhhhh maybe I ahem botched my Pacific interview on purpose so as to not create too much strife and competition for my enrollment by the colleges. :thumbup:

Anyways, before an unnecessary argument comes out of that.. :)

Just want to complement PU again on being very helpful and open with its admissions office. Not sure if anyone else who's been accepted received their pre-req check list update form from Kent S. yet in the mail.

A few mistakes were made and classes were left out. Everything was clarified with one quick 10 minute phone call and I must say Kent is a very nice guy. Grabbed my transcripts, went over it with me and gave me a list of what they need from here on out. Also answered all of my questions and didn't rush me. Try getting that kind of service from any admissions office during this time of year.

And just verifying what I already knew. If anyone is curious, PU's anatomy and physiology I and II requirement can indeed be satisfied by taking a separate semester of anatomy and a separate semester of physiology. Some schools don't offer A&P I and II together so taking them separately is perfectly fine as long as both classes have labs.

That is all for now.

Just want to complement PU again on being very helpful and open with its admissions office. Not sure if anyone else who's been accepted received their pre-req check list update form from Kent S. yet in the mail.

A few mistakes were made and classes were left out. Everything was clarified with one quick 10 minute phone call and I must say Kent is a very nice guy. Grabbed my transcripts, went over it with me and gave me a list of what they need from here on out. Also answered all of my questions and didn't rush me. Try getting that kind of service from any admissions office during this time of year.

And just verifying what I already knew. If anyone is curious, PU's anatomy and physiology I and II requirement can indeed be satisfied by taking a separate semester of anatomy and a separate semester of physiology. Some schools don't offer A&P I and II together so taking them separately is perfectly fine as long as both classes have labs.

That is all for now.

Eddie, when did you receive the letter. I haven't checked my mail, though. Did he send the letter to everybody who has been accepted?

I received it last Saturday so 3-4 days ago. It was dated March 8. I have a feeling Kent sends them out as he reviews the profiles.

Oh well...I just checked my mail, I also received the letter from Kent. I already sent my updated transcript with fall 2006 grades on January to the school. I am wondering that he did not receive my transcript because he wrote "to be completed" at the courses that I already completed last fall.
I already e-mailed him. I hope he will response me as soon as possible. :oops:

Oh well...I just checked my mail, I also received the letter from Kent. I already sent my updated transcript with fall 2006 grades on January to the school. I am wondering that he did not receive my transcript because he wrote "to be completed" at the courses that I already completed last fall.

I sent him my updated transcripts from Fall 06 also but he apparently didn't get those. That's why I contacted him but he just told me to send it again if it's not too much trouble.

He started it:mad:

Anyway, I need to call PU also. My prerequisite sheet was mostly correct, just the wrong school regarding one class. I'll do it next week when I'm unemployed!

He started it:mad:

Anyway, I need to call PU also. My prerequisite sheet was mostly correct, just the wrong school regarding one class. I'll do it next week when I'm unemployed!

PACU represent!!! hahah - I like the spirit Pharm!!! I would like to see intramural sports, or maybe even like a sports day. Something to build community and competition. How far is OSU from Pacific - just on the other side of Portland right?

On another note - I wish I got something in the mail :( I did get an email from Janelle, and then one from Kent.

As I am sure most of you have learned - Kent is officially Vanessa's replacement (as Janelle was assisting the COP in Vanessa's billet). He was very straightforward - however, he did convey something that is worth mentioning. From Kent's email:

Hello Seth,

Thank you for your inquiry, I understand that you are anxiously awaiting some news. Unfortunately, I cannot really offer you any new news as of right now. In a few weeks, we will have a better idea about movement and updates on the waitlist. Regarding the deferred students, I have not heard this is going on so much. To my knowledge this is not an issue that you need to be concerned with.

We will update you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Kent Steinmetz

From his response - I would gather that the deferred students are not going to pose a problem for this year's incoming class (especially the waitlistees). Another thing that seems askew is the total number of students.

I was under the impression that we would be working in groups of (6) students. However, if the total incoming class number is set at 86 - than that would mean 14.3333 groups. I have also heard the number placed at 85 - which doesn't appear correct either. However - if deferred students have already been taken into account - perhaps the aim is for 15 groups, with deferred students making up the extra seats to 90...

Granted - this is all speculation - as I have not sent an additional letter. Any thoughts? Or has anyone heard anything further concerning the upcoming class dynamics?

~above~

Here's what the FAQs online say:

"How many students were admitted?
For the class of 2009, 68 students joined us out of over 500 applications (approximately 14%). We will offer 84 seats for 2008, and 96 seats for 2009. We are increasing our class size slowly to best accommodate our growing program. We will stop at 96 seats because it is the maximum size for our infrastructure. Each class number is a multiple of six because students are placed in study groups of six; an integral part of the curriculum structure."

84 is a nice-divisible-by-6 number, so most likely they'll stick to that. I'm sure there will be waitlist movement, it just might take a while. OSU, UCHSC and UW are just now letting people know of their application status, and I'm sure as waitlists move among the Cali schools, Pacific's will also begin to adjust. Most people apply to 2 or more schools, so people with multiple acceptances will free up spots eventually.

I like the idea of intramurals. Indoor soccer anyone? It would be a nice diversion from the rain that will be falling from November until May...:(

Members don't see this ad :)

For the class of 2009, 68 students joined us out of over 500 applications (approximately 14%). We will offer 84 seats for 2008, and 96 seats for 2009. We are increasing our class size slowly to best accommodate our growing program. We will stop at 96 seats because it is the maximum size for our infrastructure. Each class number is a multiple of six because students are placed in study groups of six; an integral part of the curriculum structure."

84 is a nice-divisible-by-6 number, so most likely they'll stick to that. I'm sure there will be waitlist movement, it just might take a while. OSU, UCHSC and UW are just now letting people know of their application status, and I'm sure as waitlists move among the Cali schools, Pacific's will also begin to adjust. Most people apply to 2 or more schools, so people with multiple acceptances will free up spots eventually.

I like the idea of intramurals. Indoor soccer anyone? It would be a nice diversion from the rain that will be falling from November until May...:(

I dont know what math your using Pharm - but 84 / by 6 isnt... haha ok - so maybe those numbers do look pretty good. Where did I get 86 from??? Patience... sigh... I heard its a virtue... someone somewhere said it...

I dont know about indoor soccer - is that a northern sport? Do you play it in a gym on astroturf??? In Florida, we typically play through the rain - but its still like 80 degrees at the time. I dont think playing in the rain is acceptable in the 40's or 50's.

Creating a community for the Pharmacy students is a really good idea - especially since a lot of people will be staying in Oregon, eventually calling each other peers.

~above~

P.S. Ultimate frisbee/football is always a good time...

I dont know what math your using Pharm - but 84 / by 6 isnt... haha ok - so maybe those numbers do look pretty good. Where did I get 86 from??? Patience... sigh... I heard its a virtue... someone somewhere said it...

I dont know about indoor soccer - is that a northern sport? Do you play it in a gym on astroturf??? In Florida, we typically play through the rain - but its still like 80 degrees at the time. I dont think playing in the rain is acceptable in the 40's or 50's.

Creating a community for the Pharmacy students is a really good idea - especially since a lot of people will be staying in Oregon, eventually calling each other peers.

~above~

P.S. Ultimate frisbee/football is always a good time...

I grew up playing outdoor soccer year-round in Oregon...but I've grown soft in my old age. I didn't enjoy the pelting rain/hail when my skin was numb from the 38 degree coldness nor the 4 inches of mud accumulated on the "field." Indoor is played on a smaller field in a gym. I think its actually on really short carpet-ish stuff...not astroturf (feel the burn). You generally play 5-6/side and can use the walls of the field for rebounding. It's really fun, but different than outdoor. ANYWAY...we'll have to start up some sort of intramural...it's always good to relieve the stress of constant studying!

Intramurals are always a good time, OSU is about an hour and 45 minutes from Pacific. I am on a dodgeball, indoor soccer and a softball team, would be fun if the two schools could get something going intermural wise, guess we will see next year.

It is almost ultimate frisbee season and if the weather stays nice I am going to head off to Disc Golf course to get my Frolf on this weekend!

From Iowa, I have played Indoor and Outdoor soccer since I could walk-We used to play outdoor with snow and ice on the fields in 2 degree weather, so a little rain and clouds make for fair soccer weather----Count me in---

This forum has been great, thanks everyone!

OK, can someone give me a brief yet detailed estimate of what the weather is like in Portland area. I know it rains a lot and it's very cloudy all the time, but can anyone quantify it?

i.e. in San Francisco, I would say it's 70/30. 70% of the year it's cloudy/dark/rainy and 30% of the time it's sunny and warm. Most of its sunny days will come during late spring/summer and almost cloudy/dark rest of the year. Avg temp. will almost always be between low 50's to high 60's. Rarely get into the 40's or 70's but it does happen ever so often.

I just found out a buddy of mine used to live in Hillsboro (small world) and she said the weather gets to you....aka makes you depressed due to lack of sunshine.

OK, can someone give me a brief yet detailed estimate of what the weather is like in Portland area. I know it rains a lot and it's very cloudy all the time, but can anyone quantify it?

i.e. in San Francisco, I would say it's 70/30. 70% of the year it's cloudy/dark/rainy and 30% of the time it's sunny and warm. Most of its sunny days will come during late spring/summer and almost cloudy/dark rest of the year. Avg temp. will almost always be between low 50's to high 60's. Rarely get into the 40's or 70's but it does happen ever so often.

I just found out a buddy of mine used to live in Hillsboro (small world) and she said the weather gets to you....aka makes you depressed due to lack of sunshine.

Come on Eddie... your not going to let the weather dictate your mood are you??? ;) Pharm lives there... and she is pretty upbeat and happy - I think your perception determines your reality.

I would be interested in a synopsis of the weather though - Pharm are any other Oregonian local???

~above~

I have been in Oregon, Hillsboro area for 21 years.

Lets start at the beginning of the school year....
Come September when you start school the weather is gorgeous, everything is green and blue, its like something out of a fairy tale. Usually sunny and anywhere from 60s-80s, then october rolls around it is still nice outside the temperature now down to 50s-70s, maybe little rain here and there throughout the months.
To sum up November to the beginning of March i would have to say it is cold, almost always below 50 and in december and january it is often freezing cold. It depends but usually you start getting snow and frost throughout december and january. In hillsboro you really do not get much snow though, nothing that sticks usually but the roads do get icy, which is fun if you know how to drive. Mostly cloudy throughout these months as well. March rolls around and the suns starts to come out for a week or so with 60s-70s throughout the day but then suddenly it might get cloudy and rain and be cold and cloudy for a few days. It will fluctuate between the 60s-70s sunny and 50s-60s cloudy rainy until mid May. Once memorial weekend rolls a round it is smooth sailing until september. 70s-100 degrees throughout the summer, usually sunny. I am almost always floating down the river with my friends and a case of beer on the weekends during the summer.
Personally the weather doesn't bother me because I have never lived elsewhere. Right now it is starting to get nice outside and everything will be beautiful for the next 6 months. You have to put up with a lot of rain and cold during the other 6 months to earn the Oregon summertime!
Snowboard all winter and float the river all summer, what could be better!?! Whenever it is raining in the winter it brings a smile to my face because I know it is snowing on Mt. Hood, powder to ride!
In conclusion, I heart Oregon! It will take some getting use to if you come from a dry part of the country, invest in a nice raincoat.

That's an awesome description. Wow, I thought Oregon (whole pac NW) would be raining like 90% of the year. Sounds like a good deal for me. Can't wait to visit again in June when I go apartment hunting. Hopefully a few of us can meet up beforehand. :)

And Pharm47 might go over "there" to OSU so no guarantees she would brighten up our cloudy days.

That's an awesome description. Wow, I thought Oregon (whole pac NW) would be raining like 90% of the year. Sounds like a good deal for me. Can't wait to visit again in June when I go apartment hunting. Hopefully a few of us can meet up beforehand. :)

And Pharm47 might go over "there" to OSU so no guarantees she would brighten up our cloudy days.

Eddie, I am also planning to come to Portland in June to find an apartment. Maybe I can also meet you there. I am thinking to go there at the beginning of June before I am going back to my home country for vacation.

For the class of 2009, 68 students joined us out of over 500 applications (approximately 14%). We will offer 84 seats for 2008, and 96 seats for 2009.
QUOTE]

I think everyone is mistaken....what i get from the above is the the CLASS OF 2008 has 84 seats. I think that is the class that is currenlty in their first year. The class starting in August in the class of 09, so there should be approximately 96 seats. Please correct me if i am wrong

I think everyone is mistaken....what i get from the above is the the CLASS OF 2008 has 84 seats. I think that is the class that is currenlty in their first year. The class starting in August in the class of 09, so there should be approximately 96 seats. Please correct me if i am wrong

I don't think we are mistaken, I just think the answer above is unclear. For one thing, the Class of 2009 is the first class ever at Pacific, so there is no Class of 2008. We will be the Class of 2010. It is unclear b/c they change from talking about the "class of 2009" to then seats for 2008 and 2009. My guess is that means the entering classes of those year...meaning they make no mention of us - those entering in 2007. From my interview I remember them mentioning there will be 84 accepted, but if it's that big of a deal, someone should just email.

On weather - Idesiretosling hit the nail on the head, but may have left a bit of the negative out. The biggest problem is that from late December - early March, it can rain constantly. Not like Midwest or LA rain, the kind that pours for a while then stops. In Oregon it will drizzle...dark skies, misty rain...for 28 days straight (I think that's the record). So the lack of sunshine and dark skies, combined with the shorter wintertime days...can add up for a while. Honestly it never bothered me until after I moved back from spending 4 years in LA for college. Those first couple of winters back in Oregon were tough, but I'm used to it again now!

After a being away for a week with no computer I am trying to catch up on everything I have missed. I have also recieved the letter from Kent. It was not accurate, but I know what I needed to finish up this semester. He forgot to mark my Ochem labs as needing to be done and he put a check mark next to Comm indicating it was fulfilled.... but I am taking that right now. Oh well.

Anyway, everyone gave a pretty accurate description of the weather in Portland. I only lived there for 3 years, but I didn't have a hard time getting used to it at all. I think it was partly due to the fact I am from the Midwest and got real accustomed to freezing cold weather and blizzards. To me, Portland was a warm change. Snow vs. rain??? Hmmm.. I will take the drizzle any day! But I would image if you are moving to Portland from a dry and warm climate, it could be quite depressing at first. Most of the Portlanders I met loved the rain claiming it was the reason for the green, lush, and clean environment (for a bigger city). I, too, began to love the rain.

Well.. off to write a speech!

Just to clarify, they are accepting only 84 students for the class starting this August. Vanessa and Sue Stein mentioned that a few times during our info session.

Hi there,

I got an email from the Ambassador program at Pacific U.

It was a welcome-to-PacificU email. At first it really looked like spam mail since I did not recognize the email address (tho it ended with @pacific.edu). The title wasn't every intuitive it just says "Important Message". I was very hesitant to open it since the email wasnt very obvious and so much spyware is going around.

Just a heads up just in case you guys come across it --it is a nice welcome letter. :)

Hi there,

I got an email from the Ambassador program at Pacific U.

It was a welcome-to-PacificU email. At first it really looked like spam mail since I did not recognize the email address (tho it ended with @pacific.edu). The title wasn't every intuitive it just says "Important Message". I was very hesitant to open it since the email wasnt very obvious and so much spyware is going around.

Just a heads up just in case you guys come across it --it is a nice welcome letter. :)

I j ust read the email too. I also thought it was spam at first. Did you notice it addressed us as the class of 2009?

I j ust read the email too. I also thought it was spam at first. Did you notice it addressed us as the class of 2009?

YESSSS, we get to graduate in 2 years!~!

Hello guys, sorry it was a typo. It is not a spam. It is a mail from the program. I am aware of it. So feel free to read it if you wish and reply if you wish.

It is not a spam and I do apologise for the typo. You are class of 2010.

Hey accept my apology. It was a typo. The mail is a good will mail and not a spam. I hope this help alleviate your fear.

Hey accept my apology. It was a typo. The mail is a good will mail and not a spam. I hope this help alleviate your fear.

Hi DannyPx,

Definitely a nice welcome email. Sorry, I'm pretty cautious about opening emails from unknown addresses (which triggered my initial reaction). Anyways, it's a great idea and a good resource. Thanks for the email, I will definitely have more questions in the months to come. =)

Hi DannyPx,

Definitely a nice welcome email. Sorry, I'm pretty cautious about opening emails from unknown addresses (which triggered my initial reaction). Anyways, it's a great idea and a good resource. Thanks for the email, I will definitely have more questions in the months to come. =)

You are so welcome anytime! The ambassador program have an open arms to accomodate your questions and we look forward to seeing you all.
Thanks for the reply. I hope that will relieve the fear of others.

Hey Kenny, are you the guy pictured in the flyer that was included in our folders during our interviews? You know, the Asian guy smiling holding a bottle. You're famous!

Hey Kenny, are you the guy pictured in the flyer that was included in our folders during our interviews? You know, the Asian guy smiling holding a bottle. You're famous!

No thanks am not the guy in the picture. The guy is an officer of the ambassdor program and a well deserving ambassador. PM me if you wish to contact him and I will give you all the information you need.

Does anybody know if the microbiology requirement has to be upper level (MCB 3020) or will MCB 2010 count? I emailed Pacific earlier today but I figured I might get a quicker response on here. :)

Does anybody know if the microbiology requirement has to be upper level (MCB 3020) or will MCB 2010 count? I emailed Pacific earlier today but I figured I might get a quicker response on here. :)

Perhaps it may depend on the school that offers the class. I will take the microbio class at community college. Pacific knows about this and is ok with it..so it may not necessarily have to be upper division.

There will always be a microbio course for science majors. Just check the required courses for let's say, a biology degree. It will list a certain microbio course. Take that one because those are the ones pharm schools want you to take.

Here's a good one for Oregon residents. For us OOS students, do we need to obtain an OR license? I'm coming from CA and have been driving for 9 years now. I think I read I need to get one since I plan on working in the state for more than 6 months out of the year.

Also, anything else we need to take care of in order to live in OR for 3 years? Perhaps registering my vehicle with new license plates and all, apply for residency, fill out specific forms, pay certain fee's?

Again, I plan to visit in June to sign a lease for my apartment and I want to take care of all the legal stuff since I won't be back until school starts. AHHH I'M SOOOO EXCITED!!! :D

I am currently taking microbiology class at my CC. I think it should be OK if you take it at CC. I am taking both lecture and lab because my CC only has combined lecture and lab of microbiology.

There will always be a microbio course for science majors. Just check the required courses for let's say, a biology degree. It will list a certain microbio course. Take that one because those are the ones pharm schools want you to take.

Here's a good one for Oregon residents. For us OOS students, do we need to obtain an OR license? I'm coming from CA and have been driving for 9 years now. I think I read I need to get one since I plan on working in the state for more than 6 months out of the year.

Also, anything else we need to take care of in order to live in OR for 3 years? Perhaps registering my vehicle with new license plates and all, apply for residency, fill out specific forms, pay certain fee's?

Again, I plan to visit in June to sign a lease for my apartment and I want to take care of all the legal stuff since I won't be back until school starts. AHHH I'M SOOOO EXCITED!!! :D

Have any waitlistees heard anything? Keep us posted if you do - whether be a random phone conversation or email...

To answer your question Eddie - although I am not from Oregon - I did find this information:

I am working (I assume school is included) in Oregon temporarily. Am I required to get an Oregon Driver License?

Yes, if you have taken up gainful employment and can answer "yes" to any of the following questions, you are required to obtain an Oregon Driver License, ID Card or Oregon Vehicle Registration:

* Do I remain in Oregon for a consecutive period of six months or more each year?
* Have I enrolled my children in an Oregon public school without payment of nonresident tuition fees?
* Do I pay Oregon resident tuition fees at an educational institution maintained by public funds?
* Have I made a declaration to be a resident of Oregon for the purpose of obtaining, at resident rates, a state license (other than an Oregon Driver License)?
* Is Oregon listed as my home of record in my military records?
* Do I pay resident income taxes to the state of Oregon?

Info pulled from:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/driverid/licenseget.shtml#temp

Also - here is what you will need to get one if you already have a DL from another state:

Already Have a License?
Drivers who already have a valid license from another U.S. state and some other jurisdictions may not have to take the driving test. Other licenses from the following locations are treated as U.S. state licenses, and do not require the driving test to get an Oregon license:

* Canada

* U.S. territories, including: American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands

* Germany: Acceptable for licenses issued prior to Jan. 1, 1999, after which European Union (EU) licenses issued to residents only of Germany are accepted.

Drivers who previously had a valid Oregon driver license, but have since obtained a valid driver license in another state may only have to provide proof of identity and residence, pass a vision screening, turn in the out-of-state license, and pay a replacement or renewal fee. The Oregon driver license must still be valid or expired for less than one year.

Pulled from:
http://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/apply-license.php

~above~

I also found this link from one of the USN threads - its pretty handy for estimating cost of living - moving from one city to the next.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

Almost everything goes up for me - coming from Orlando, FL to Portland, OR. It doesn't really account for suburbs of major cities - but It may help with ball park estimates.

~above~

Status
Not open for further replies.