Pacific U (Part II): Roll Call and Info Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Above,

I wont be done with my prereqs until Aug 3rd. It shouldnt be a problem. Ive talked to John Erik and Kent about it repeatedly and they both said it that it was fine. I just got it in writing via email just in case. It shouldnt be a problem.

Just give them a heads up and maybe get it in email so you can use it as reference.

Pacific has been flexible with my prereqs also. No worries, Above.

Members don't see this ad.

Pacific has been flexible with my prereqs also. No worries, Above.

Sounds good - I was pretty sure I had already cleared it with Graduate Admissions - but its good to know other people are in the same boat.

on another note - I just sent an email to join the Yahoo group - but typically I dont use yahoo...

I made a Facebook group for the class of 2010 called:

Pacific University SOP - Class of 2010

Right now it is just me in the group (a little bit lonely...) - is anyone else interested in joining up?

~above~

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted!

I am applying for 2008. As of right now I am considering only applying to Pacific. I have been impressed enough with them that I think if they rejected me I would rather improve my application and try again in 2009 than go to another school that might accept me. Am I off my rocker here?

Members don't see this ad :)

I am applying for 2008. As of right now I am considering only applying to Pacific. I have been impressed enough with them that I think if they rejected me I would rather improve my application and try again in 2009 than go to another school that might accept me. Am I off my rocker here?

You are not off of your rocker -I never completed my apps to the other schools - so in truth - I only applied to Pacifc. However, you may want to also consider other schools, most notably USN. They have a very similar program, and are already accredited.

I fell in love with Pacific early - and never looked back. I cant fault someone for doing the same.

~above~

Hey everyone,
I haven't checked this site for a couple weeks so I was excited to see that there is actually some good news to read. Congratulations seth!!! I'm so glad things seem to finally be happening. Although I haven't heard anything about my spot on the waitlist being moved up yet. But oh well I should be #3 now. So close yet so far... At least I have something to tell people now when they ask. I was literally 2 seconds away from wearing a sign that said "I haven't heard anything yet so please don't ask." It gets so frustrating being asked all the time. Especially now that time is winding down and I really want to know one way or the other so I can start some planning. Just gotta be patient right? Thanks everyone for keeping me updated and congratulations again seth!

You are not off of your rocker -I never completed my apps to the other schools - so in truth - I only applied to Pacifc. However, you may want to also consider other schools, most notably USN. They have a very similar program, and are already accredited.

I fell in love with Pacific early - and never looked back. I cant fault someone for doing the same.

~above~

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with Pacific being your #1 school, but it’s probably not a bad idea to select a few other schools which also meet your requirements and needs. If you don't get into Pacific for 2008, there is a chance that after strengthening your application, you'll be accepted for the 2009 year – but there is a chance that you’ll be denied admission. If that's the case, you can certainly strengthen you application further and apply for the 2010 year, but in the meantime, you could have already completed 2 years at one of your alternate schools and been halfway (or more) to your PharmD. Just something to think about. Good luck!

Sounds good - I was pretty sure I had already cleared it with Graduate Admissions - but its good to know other people are in the same boat.

on another note - I just sent an email to join the Yahoo group - but typically I dont use yahoo...

I made a Facebook group for the class of 2010 called:

Pacific University SOP - Class of 2010

Right now it is just me in the group (a little bit lonely...) - is anyone else interested in joining up?

~above~

Interested...

Also interested, but I don't have a .edu email address...so I think I can't sign up!

Hi Rubinstein! Pacific was the ONLY school I applied to. Now that I think about it, I should have applied to a few more schools. Like Above, I just knew I wanted to be at Pacific. I had previously lived in Portland and I was familiar with the area and had wanted to come back eventually anyway. Had I not have been accepted I would have been kicking myself in the a@@. Anyway, since I applied so early, I was in the first group of interviews (Oct 28) and within 2 weeks was notified of my acceptance. Everything happened so fast that I really didn't need to apply to other schools. There was a period a few months back that family issues came up and I wondered if I should stay closer to home. Maybe if I had applied to other schools I would have had more options but I didn't. I do think it is a good idea to apply to a couple of schools just so you have a few options. You never know what twists and turns life can lead you to, and having options would be most desirable. If Pacific is the school you really want to go to, then the most important thing is to apply before the early deadline and really work hard on making your application spectacular! Good luck!

The day is here... LADIES & GENTS!!!!!

I have been accepted to Pacific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I didn't have a genetics test in the morning - I would be out celebrating tonight... hahah

Thanks for helping me out along the way - you guys know who you are - This journey would not have been nearly as fulfilling if I hadn't had you all to share it with.

I cannot wait for the Fall!!!! I haven't a clue where I will be staying, if I will have enough money to eat, or even how I am going to get there - but it really doesn't matter - Hell or high water - Im gonna be in Hillsboro in 2 months time...

~above~

Congrats Seth, you actually deserved the spot. Never seen anyone soo dedicated and determined in trying to get into pharmacy school especially pacific. Hope everything works out...Sorry for the late post!!! :)

Kent just left! Can anybody confirm this?

Kent just left! Can anybody confirm this?

I talked to him last Friday - and he didn't indicate anything unusual was on the horizon. I know Jon Erik is out of the office for this week...

hmmm - His phone appears to be forwarded right now - Hope all is well with him and Pacific.

- slightly off topic...

Did everyone else get the Hep A shots (2) - it seems like it may be optional if you are not an international student. Also - how did everyone pay their deposit. Can I just put it on credit???

~above~

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to him last Friday - and he didn't indicate anything unusual was on the horizon. I know Jon Erik is out of the office for this week...

hmmm - His phone appears to be forwarded right now - Hope all is well with him and Pacific.

- slightly off topic...

Did everyone else get the Hep A shots (2) - it seems like it may be optional if you are not an international student. Also - how did everyone pay their deposit. Can I just put it on credit???

~above~

I paid with a check... I had to borrow from family. I think you could put it on your credit card though.

I went ahead and contacted Pacific today to pay my deposit - and lock on some info concerning the Hep A vaccine. Janelle - who filled in for Vanessa while they were searching for Kent - took my info for payment. Has anyone else been in contact with Pacific?

Titan - where did you hear that Kent had left - If so, I wish him all the best - he had big shoes to fill - and did a good job.

~above~

I went ahead and contacted Pacific today to pay my deposit - and lock on some info concerning the Hep A vaccine. Janelle - who filled in for Vanessa while they were searching for Kent - took my info for payment. Has anyone else been in contact with Pacific?

Titan - where did you hear that Kent had left - If so, I wish him all the best - he had big shoes to fill - and did a good job.

~above~

Heard from a friend who read it off one of Rubinstein's posts.

I am not a big fan of all these people leaving. Oh well, hope all is for the best.

I paid my deposit with check also. And I got my hep A shots a while back. I would get it anyways if it's not too expensive. I mean, we will deal with a lot of sick patients so just in case.

Howdy ya'll,

I was trying to set up an appointment with Pacific because I will be visiting Portland next week. I emailed Kent and got a response from Stephanie Krusemark in the admissions office with the following information:

"Kent Steinmetz is no longer with Pacific University. Feel free to
contact Jon-Erik Larsen, Director of Graduate & Professional Program
Admissions, if you have any additional questions regarding Pacific
University, the Pharmacy program or the admissions process. He can be
reached at [email protected] or 503.352.7221. "

It is kind of strange and frustrating to have so much turnover. Hope it all works out for everyone in the end. . .

Hi everyone.

I am taking a much needed vacation before moving out to Portland next month. I am having my mail held for a couple of weeks. I am afraid I am going to miss some mail from Pacific while I am gone. Could someone post if anything happens to come in the mail? Thank you! Hope all your summers are going well!

Ammarha - We can post if anything comes down the pipeline - also keep up with the Yahoo group - I would say post in Facebook too... but the concept so far is yet to catch on...

On a side note: I am a few days from locking on an apartment - a place to live - wouldn't that be something!!!

~above~

Hi everyone, I am new here and I have a couple questions about the computer software that I hope you could help me out. Well, I have a Dell laptop that I bought a while ago and I was wondering about what computer software do they use. Where do we purchase them? and can I manually download it to my computer? I hope everyone enjoying this wonderful summer and see all of you this coming August.

Thanks

Hi everyone, I am new here and I have a couple questions about the computer software that I hope you could help me out. Well, I have a Dell laptop that I bought a while ago and I was wondering about what computer software do they use. Where do we purchase them? and can I manually download it to my computer? I hope everyone enjoying this wonderful summer and see all of you this coming August.

Thanks

I am curious about this too... I think it is just WEB CT - that is why it doesn't matter if you have a MAC or a PC.

Also*** I just saw on the apple site - if we buy a new Macbook with our education discount (Pacific's store) - then we get a free Ipod NANO - here is the link

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/W...oSchool2007&wosid=DW24mPOjmJ3l3x1anc5TBNKaACM

Pretty cool - I am still torn - no clue which I am going to buy

~above~

Hello everyone. Just typing on my Macbook here in Hillsboro, OR at the Extended Stay hotel. Sooooooo LONELY!!! I'm apartment hunting real quick but had a chance to visit our building today and took some pics. Also had some time to check out the main PU campus in Forest Grove.

A few things I noticed:

- Originally I was bummed PU SOP was "just a building" but after visiting the main PU campus, I'm delighted our building houses the SOP. The main campus is nice and pretty huge but the vibe I get is "classic Oregon." Trees everywhere, dirt pathways, older brick-walled buildings, etc. Nothing wrong with that but just not my thing. Our building is so high-tech and so new. Plus so many baby faced freshmen doing orientation. Reminds me of my old days. haha. But yeah, now I'm really excited to start.

- I was able to literally walk into the Hillsboro building with no badge, ID, or key. Just walked right inside, walked up the stairs, and even walked into an empty classroom. Hell, I even opened the fridge door in the break room. :) Hopefully the school doesn't have any issues with creepy characters (like me today, haha) in the area just wandering in.

- It also felt great walking into the building knowing I'll be a student next year. It's a different feeling when last time, I was in an uncomfortable suit and about to throw up from being so nervous. Definitely a good feeling.

Well, here are the pics. Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC00737.jpg
    DSC00737.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC00740.jpg
    DSC00740.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00745.jpg
    DSC00745.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC00747.jpg
    DSC00747.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC00751.jpg
    DSC00751.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 134
I have a question... regarding the letters of recommendation. There is no way to have the letter of recommendation done early, since the application has a form that the person writing the letter needs to fill out besides the letter, right?

Hello everyone. Just typing on my Macbook here in Hillsboro, OR at the Extended Stay hotel. Sooooooo LONELY!!! I'm apartment hunting real quick but had a chance to visit our building today and took some pics. Also had some time to check out the main PU campus in Forest Grove.

A few things I noticed:

- Originally I was bummed PU SOP was "just a building" but after visiting the main PU campus, I'm delighted our building houses the SOP. The main campus is nice and pretty huge but the vibe I get is "classic Oregon." Trees everywhere, dirt pathways, older brick-walled buildings, etc. Nothing wrong with that but just not my thing. Our building is so high-tech and so new. Plus so many baby faced freshmen doing orientation. Reminds me of my old days. haha. But yeah, now I'm really excited to start.

- I was able to literally walk into the Hillsboro building with no badge, ID, or key. Just walked right inside, walked up the stairs, and even walked into an empty classroom. Hell, I even opened the fridge door in the break room. :) Hopefully the school doesn't have any issues with creepy characters (like me today, haha) in the area just wandering in.

- It also felt great walking into the building knowing I'll be a student next year. It's a different feeling when last time, I was in an uncomfortable suit and about to throw up from being so nervous. Definitely a good feeling.

Well, here are the pics. Enjoy!

Thanks Eddie... yup, just as I remembered it. Looking at the pics made me more excited to get there! But, I am still going to be a little nervous. So.. did you find a place that you liked???

I have a question... regarding the letters of recommendation. There is no way to have the letter of recommendation done early, since the application has a form that the person writing the letter needs to fill out besides the letter, right?

Not exactly - let your recommender know that there is a special form that is not yet available. Tell him it is a simple, one sheet form that takes no more than 5 minutes to fill out. Have him write the letter now - and tell him when the form is available - August 1st - you will give it to him to fill out and complete his recommendation.

If you explain "Why" - it shouldn't be a problem.

P.S. - Nice Pics Eddie - Looks like its home for the next 3 years...

On a side note - I didn't remember our classroom looking like that - hmm... interesting what your mind fails to notice when your cold/hungry/nervous

~above~

Ok, I'm getting excited for classes to start too! I bought my computer yesterday. I went with Dell even though I know they don't make the best laptops. Thought the price was decent, and I'm just not familiar with Apple so didn't consider it. Now I just need to get my immunizations done, and I'm ready to go!

On another note - does anyone still have the letter telling us when orientation starts? I want to quit my job a week early and take a trip right before class starts...

Ok, I'm getting excited for classes to start too! I bought my computer yesterday. I went with Dell even though I know they don't make the best laptops. Thought the price was decent, and I'm just not familiar with Apple so didn't consider it. Now I just need to get my immunizations done, and I'm ready to go!

On another note - does anyone still have the letter telling us when orientation starts? I want to quit my job a week early and take a trip right before class starts...

Orientation is on the 22nd - White coat is on the 23rd. Classes begin the 27th.

Congrats on your new laptop... I have been looking at the financing. After buying an engagement ring - a new laptop seems out of the question. Hopefully my dinky ibook will hold its own... we shall see...

~above~

For my situation, I just had my writers do a real letter from scratch on their official letterhead. The PU application LOR form is optional. You can definitely replace it with a real one. Since I had all my letters at my school's letter service (writer does one letter and they make copies and send them out everywhere), I just forwarded a copy.

And yes, I will lay my head at Orenco Gardens Apartment. Sure it's a bit more pricey vs other places but it's brand new, very cozy feeling, and my specific apartment is literally 100 ft away from my doorstep to the Max train. The leasing agent sold me when she described "Walk out your apt, get a cup of our complimentary Starbucks coffee in our lounge, then walk right over to the Max train. All in under 1 minute." Plus I get to paint my walls any color I choose to personalize. :D And I got approved yesterday and put a deposit so I guess I am officially an Oregonian!

And congrats on the engagement Seth.

Orientation is on the 22nd - White coat is on the 23rd. Classes begin the 27th.

Congrats on your new laptop... I have been looking at the financing. After buying an engagement ring - a new laptop seems out of the question. Hopefully my dinky ibook will hold its own... we shall see...

~above~

Congrats! Is the future-misses coming to OR with you?

Congrats! Is the future-misses coming to OR with you?

Thanks guys...

To be honest - I have got the ring - and I asked her Father if I could marry her - but as of yet - I have not asked the question. She is in Orlando finishing her degree in psychology. I plan to marry her when when she is done with school (2 years from now :( )

I wish she could come with me - School is going to be rough without her...

~above~

hey everyone,
i just got an updated waitlist in the mail. i've inherited seth's old spot at #1. so for the rest of you still waiting it's moved a whole 4 spots. i was having doubts but now i think i just might get in. guess i'll just keep my fingers crossed until then.

hey everyone,
i just got an updated waitlist in the mail. i've inherited seth's old spot at #1. so for the rest of you still waiting it's moved a whole 4 spots. i was having doubts but now i think i just might get in. guess i'll just keep my fingers crossed until then.

CONGRATS!!!! Its only a matter of time Rach... So will you be accepting a seat if it is offered to ya???

~above~

CONGRATS!!!! Its only a matter of time Rach... So will you be accepting a seat if it is offered to ya???

~above~

Thanks seth. Yes I will be accepting a seat if they offer it to me. I just hope it's sooner than later.

congrats to all that are going to the school i live in texas and i realy want to go to this school any body from another state that got accepted. just woundering what my chances are. and also how much volunteering or community service do you think i should have. i volunteer at two different hospitals in the pharmacy. anybody have advice that would help.

congrats to all that are going to the school i live in texas and i realy want to go to this school any body from another state that got accepted. just woundering what my chances are. and also how much volunteering or community service do you think i should have. i volunteer at two different hospitals in the pharmacy. anybody have advice that would help.

I volunteered in one hospital pharmacy one night/week for a few months and shadowed in a mail-order pharmacy for three days. That's all the pharmacy experience I had, and I got in. How are the rest of your stats? Also, apply ASAP, it makes a HUGE difference when it comes to Pacific. They definitely do rolling admissions, and the sooner you apply and interview, the better your chances.

what do you think my chances are i have a 3.29 cumm with all any retakes 3.97 last 45 hours and a 3.57 science math ect GPA. I voluteer for two hospitals and trying to shawdow at a CVS for a couple of days and i finished all pre reqs and great grades a on all. also when did you summit your application

what do you think my chances are i have a 3.29 cumm with all any retakes 3.97 last 45 hours and a 3.57 science math ect GPA. I voluteer for two hospitals and trying to shawdow at a CVS for a couple of days and i finished all pre reqs and great grades a on all. also when did you summit your application

You sound like an awesome candidate statistics-wise. I submitted about 2-3 weeks after the application was available. I was in the first interview group and the first batch of acceptances (I think). Applying early not only helps because there are fewer applicants to compare you to, but it also shows motivation and initiative.

For our Hep B imunization, it says we need the 3 doses of the vaccine AND a titer? Is it just me or is this kind of repititive? If we can provide documentation of our shots, why must we also get a titer to prove it again?

I thought I was all done today until I got to that part. Now I have to go get stuck again! :mad: My arms are both bruised. Starting to look like a drug addict. :(

Anyone else do this also?

For our Hep B imunization, it says we need the 3 doses of the vaccine AND a titer? Is it just me or is this kind of repititive? If we can provide documentation of our shots, why must we also get a titer to prove it again?

I thought I was all done today until I got to that part. Now I have to go get stuck again! :mad: My arms are both bruised. Starting to look like a drug addict. :(

Anyone else do this also?

Both the Hep B titer and Varicella titer seem overkill to me. I actually just got back from the doctor and they took my blood for the titers and updated my tetanus shot (ouch). Since it is Thursday, they can't do Tb as they aren't open to read results Sa and Su, so I have to go back next week too - ugh! Hoops to jump through I guess!

Both the Hep B titer and Varicella titer seem overkill to me. I actually just got back from the doctor and they took my blood for the titers and updated my tetanus shot (ouch). Since it is Thursday, they can't do Tb as they aren't open to read results Sa and Su, so I have to go back next week too - ugh! Hoops to jump through I guess!

Congrats Pharm!!! Good Times ;)

On Tuesday - I got my PPD & Td done at the health department - on the same day I went to student health services and did titers for both Varicella and Hep B - I got my PPD read today... hopefully both my titers come back positive for AB...

One question - I have no record of when I got the Hep B doses originally (3) - I know in the military I received one dose of Hep B - what do I put in the lines where it asks for the month / dates of doses?

Also

Just to clarify with everyone - YOU are filling out the Health Professions Immunization & History form right? You are not having it filled in by a doctor or health department - you are including COPIES of your records on the back of the form right? I ask because typically - you would not be trusted to include copies. You would send originals that are notarized or sealed with blood/first born child - to prove you actually received the immunization...

~above~

Congrats Pharm!!! Good Times ;)

One question - I have no record of when I got the Hep B doses originally (3) - I know in the military I received one dose of Hep B - what do I put in the lines where it asks for the month / dates of doses?

Also

Just to clarify with everyone - YOU are filling out the Health Professions Immunization & History form right? You are not having it filled in by a doctor or health department - you are including COPIES of your records on the back of the form right? I ask because typically - you would not be trusted to include copies. You would send originals that are notarized or sealed with blood/first born child - to prove you actually received the immunization...

~above~

Yes, we fill everything out ourselves. I gave the form to my doctor and when I went to pick it up, he had no idea what to sign or fill out. I think our signature on the back is official enough. I just checked the boxes, filled in my dates, attached a copy of my records and titer results, and signed the back.

And yeah, I called the PU student health office to verify and we do need the 3 shots and titer for hep B. Not sure what to do with the 3 dates if you don't have them. I'd just give the health office a call to ask.

I have a not-so-quick question... Ok, a little background: I garaduated c/o 2005 from ucla bs biochem. I have 1 year pharmacy technician experience and several EC's. I'm worried about my stats: I have a borderline 3.0 overall gpa, 3.1 pre-pharmacy gpa, but my science/math GPA is 2.78, if I don't add an F in O.Chem I, which I got when I was young and unfocused in school. If I add in this grade, my science/math GPA is only 2.65... Should I even apply this year??

I already retook O.chem I and got a B. I'm planning to retake O.Chem II and one year of calculus. I also signed up for other upper division science classes in the fall at a state university.

Would these in-process classes be enough for them to consider me as an applicant? Or would they throw out my application cause I didn't make the 2.7 science/math GPA??

Thanks for the input...

I would definitely try to talk to Pacific's admissions office about the gpa cutoff.

Personally, I think Pacific looks for well rounded applicants. GPA is not everything. A great, flawless personal statement and letters of recommendations from people who know you very well can really help you get your foot in the door for an interview. Once at the interview, you can have a good shot as anybody to get accepted.

I think your plan to retake classes plus upper divs is a great idea. It can help show the school that you are determined. It can also prove to the school that you are a different type of student now -especially with an upward grade trend.

Don't lose hope. Applying to pharm school can be a pretty stressful experience. I also had my doubts when I applied last year. Looking back, I am happy I applied when I did. If you are emotionally ready for the challenges ahead, I say apply. While Gpa is looked at in applications, it is not everything.

(Just my two cents). Good luck! :)

I have a not-so-quick question... Ok, a little background: I garaduated c/o 2005 from ucla bs biochem. I have 1 year pharmacy technician experience and several EC's. I'm worried about my stats: I have a borderline 3.0 overall gpa, 3.1 pre-pharmacy gpa, but my science/math GPA is 2.78, if I don't add an F in O.Chem I, which I got when I was young and unfocused in school. If I add in this grade, my science/math GPA is only 2.65... Should I even apply this year??

I already retook O.chem I and got a B. I'm planning to retake O.Chem II and one year of calculus. I also signed up for other upper division science classes in the fall at a state university.

Would these in-process classes be enough for them to consider me as an applicant? Or would they throw out my application cause I didn't make the 2.7 science/math GPA??

Thanks for the input...

does one of the recommendation letters have to be from a pharmacist?

Hey guys.... still on vacation. :cool:

Anyone hear about what we need to be brushing up on for OChem? :idea:

Hey guys.... still on vacation. :cool:

Anyone hear about what we need to be brushing up on for OChem? :idea:

Nothing yet. I doubt we have to do any formal brushing up of anything prior to school.

hello everyone, i hope everyone is enjoying summer. Did anyone receive an invitation for yahoo group through email? I could not add to the yahoo group and I was wondering if anyone know how to add to yahoo group. thanks a lot!