Pacific U (Part II): Roll Call and Info Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am glad to see this thread active again... I guess we have all been busy finishing up finals and preparing for next year.

As for me, my biggest dillema is buying a laptop. Anyone else in the same situation? I really like the Dell Latitude that Pacific recommends on there website. Plus it comes with everything they require; including Microsoft Office 2003. I was ready to click "submit" to order it yesterday, and decided not to. I think I am just going to do it, but does anyone else have any good advice about laptops? Sure, I could find a cheaper one, but then would have to add Office for an extra couple hundred dollars. Hmmm... anyone buying the Latitude???

A few people in my class have this laptop hp tx1000z, it's a tablet notebook so you can hand edit powerpoint slides during lecture. I don't have one, but I've seen it in action and it looks very useful. My current laptop is a Macbook I bought at the beginning of the year. It's my first Mac and I don't think I'll ever be going back. In over 12 years of owning various computers, it's the only one I've never had some kind of problem with.

Members don't see this ad.

Just remember SDN doesn't represent even half of everyone applying to PU. That means many people who choose to decline won't even mention it here. You could already be in! So Seth being #1 also means everyone who put a deposit down CAN indeed matriculate this fall. That 's a slight relief for what MIGHT'VE been a bad situation (too many deposits and not enough seats).

Last thing to cross my fingers for is ACPE granting PU candidate status. Just a few more weeks.

FYI Pacific just received the ACPE review a few days ago and they passed at 100% in all criteria. Now the only thing left before gaining "official" candidate status is that the Oregon Board of Pharmacy needs to put their stamp on it. WOOT!

A few people in my class have this laptop hp tx1000z, it's a tablet notebook so you can hand edit powerpoint slides during lecture. I don't have one, but I've seen it in action and it looks very useful. My current laptop is a Macbook I bought at the beginning of the year. It's my first Mac and I don't think I'll ever be going back. In over 12 years of owning various computers, it's the only one I've never had some kind of problem with.

I was looking into the MacBooks, and I would love to get one, but I have never used an Apple before. My only concern was I would need to do to get Office on it? I am not very laptop savy...lol... I have never even owed one!

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI Pacific just received the ACPE review a few days ago and they passed at 100% in all criteria. Now the only thing left before gaining "official" candidate status is that the Oregon Board of Pharmacy needs to put their stamp on it. WOOT!

That is really great news... looks like Pacific really is on the right track.

Ammarha - you would have to get a version of office - I am using Office 2004 on my Ibook, and it works great.

I am looking for a laptop to replace my desktop completely (my pc is going to become a home-made TIVO) - I am still unsure of whether or not a Macbook can do it...

~above~

Well... I clicked submit and bought the latitude. I vowed I would never buy anything Dell again, but it comes with Office and XP, plus a 3 year warranty. The total was 1263.00. So, it's a pretty good deal to shop through the Pacific store. I would never buy a Dell without a warranty. (Hopefully, I won't have to use it.) Maybe my next laptop will be an MacBook. I just decided that since I am used to using PC's I should just stick to that for now.

That is really great news... looks like Pacific really is on the right track.

Ammarha - you would have to get a version of office - I am using Office 2004 on my Ibook, and it works great.

I am looking for a laptop to replace my desktop completely (my pc is going to become a home-made TIVO) - I am still unsure of whether or not a Macbook can do it...

~above~

I'd definitely invest in a macbook pro if you want a powerful all around machine.

AND PACIFIC UNIVERSITY'S GOING TO GET ITS CANDIDATE STATUS!?!?1 :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :hardy: :hardy:

Today I emailed Kent concerning the status of the Alt. List...

More specifically - I asked a whether or not Pacific would be pulling from the list when the number of Active deposited students drops below 87 or 84. Thinking back, I do not believe he communicated the answer to me in our phone conversation. Also, I feel it is important to have certain communications in written form - rather than verbally.

As soon as I receive a response - it will be posted.

On a side note - who all is taking Summer school?

I had my first day of Genetics - seems a bit on the dry side - oh well

~above~

Kent confirmed today that Pacific will have an 87 member class of 2010. If / when the # of deposited students drops below 87, Pacific will begin pulling from the Alt. list. According to Kent, they do not have any "offical" declines since our last conversation in early april - meaning that Pharmacy2007 and TicTac have not communicated to Pacific that they are accepting a seat at other institutions.

If anyone else knows of someone declining their seat - feel free to post...

~above~

Kent confirmed today that Pacific will have an 87 member class of 2010. If / when the # of deposited students drops below 87, Pacific will begin pulling from the Alt. list. According to Kent, they do not have any "offical" declines since our last conversation in early april - meaning that Pharmacy2007 and TicTac have not communicated to Pacific that they are accepting a seat at other institutions.

If anyone else knows of someone declining their seat - feel free to post...

~above~

In other words, pharmacy 2007 and Tic Tac, hurry the heck up and give PU the call already! :D jk

And Seth, I'm assuming you''ll be dropping Genetics as soon as you get accepted?

Ahh summer. Still finishing out my last week of physio for spring. Hell no on summer school. Nothing but sleeping in, Vegas, Hawaii, sleeping in, and sleeping in for me. And of course a quick trip to Portland to go apt hunting.) This is going to be one of the better summers I've had in a looooong time,

I just received an update from pacific in the mail today. They thanked me for my patience in this process and informed me that as of now there has been no current change in the waitlist and that they may still be accepting people as late as September 1. What day do classes start again? Seemed like it was before that. Its nice to receive the update and all but every time I see a pacific envelope in the mail my hopes go up a little and then its such a bummer when its not good news. Even though I already new there had been no change yet thanks to this thread. Oh well.

Okay, so my Dell Latitude arrived today. Right off the bat I was disappointed with the screen quality.:( It seems dull. I don't know... I just have a hard time reading anything on the screen without being real close up. Do any of you know if this is commom with all laptops or does the MacBook have better display quality. I am willing to return it to get something that won't strain my eyes. I am just not sure which direction to go. Any advice??? :idea:

Dells (and many other laptops) have auto dimmers while on battery power. Is the laptop plugged in? Also, under display settings - advanced - there should be an option to adjust overall brightness. It really shouldn't be making you strain to see it - that would be horrible for actual use.

Let us know if that helps - I can hunt down the actual location and commands if needs be...

~above~

Dells (and many other laptops) have auto dimmers while on battery power. Is the laptop plugged in? Also, under display settings - advanced - there should be an option to adjust overall brightness. It really shouldn't be making you strain to see it - that would be horrible for actual use.

Let us know if that helps - I can hunt down the actual location and commands if needs be...

~above~

Hey Above.... thank you so much. Yup, when I plug it in it is much brighter. I had no clue about auto dimmers.....geez. Once again, I am very thankful for this site and everyone who has helped me along the way. Now I will for sure keep the Dell... thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
VERY NICE!!! GREAT SUCCESS!!!!! There should also be a setting to turn the dimmer off - but doing so will decrease the battery life (double edged sword)...

~above~

VERY NICE!!! GREAT SUCCESS!!!!! There should also be a setting to turn the dimmer off - but doing so will decrease the battery life (double edged sword)...

~above~

HE cannot afford clock radio...

Hey guys,

So, if you all haven't received a letter for the President of Pacific stating that decided to INCREASE our tuition; you will be. Anyway, they didn't include how much of an increase it actually will be. It just said to look for details on our discipline web page. Needless to say, nothing new is posted... just the same tuition rate as before. I guess we will have to call to find out how much....baaaaaaa.

pacific..i don't see why this is another corrupted school....where is DEAL-MAN? didn't their application fee went up? they also accepted a bunch of idiot from hawaii by kissing ass to the dean and don' forget to bring in my b/girlfriend too :bullcrap: this is an internal ACPE update guys

pacific..i don't see why this is another corrupted school....where is DEAL-MAN? didn't their application fee went up? they also accepted a bunch of idiot from hawaii by kissing ass to the dean and don' forget to bring in my b/girlfriend too :bullcrap: this is an internal ACPE update guys

EDITED my post:

I promised I would never respond to a troll whose sole purpose is to piss people off. Just mad I had to waste my time on this.

EDITED my post:

I promised I would never respond to a troll whose sole purpose is to piss people off. Just mad I had to waste my time on this.

Hey eddie,

hpharm07 has been trolling on many threads. You aren't the first that has been "pissed-off" by the ignorant and time-wasting antics of hpharm07.

Pacific Rocks! One question for you. Did you guys get any info on what o-chem you'll need to review to be ready for Fall?

I sent in my prerequisite evaluation form about 2 weeks ago for Pacific. Does anyone from the school contact you after it is reviewed?

Hey eddie,

hpharm07 has been trolling on many threads. You aren't the first that has been "pissed-off" by the ignorant and time-wasting antics of hpharm07.

Pacific Rocks! One question for you. Did you guys get any info on what o-chem you'll need to review to be ready for Fall?

Errgggg... trolls. Instinctively we all want to defend our school.... oh well. Some people are just bitter. Way to take the higher ground Eddie!

As for the Ochem.. I have been wondering the same thing. I would love to know what to review. I took both Ochem I and II last summer, and I feel i crammed too much in a short period of time. I honestly don't know what my brain actually remembers. That summer is a blur of stress. I am scared :eek: :eek:

I am taking O-Chem II this semester. Next week is the final test...No matter what, O-Chem is not an easy subject with bunches of mechanisms and reactions to memorize. But...oh well... wish me luck guys!! :)

I am taking O-Chem II this semester. Next week is the final test...No matter what, O-Chem is not an easy subject with bunches of mechanisms and reactions to memorize. But...oh well... wish me luck guys!! :)

Good :luck: Sego - I finished O-chem II a couple of weeks ago - not exactly my cup of tea - but its done and over with (which feels excellent) - finish strong... are you taking anything this summer?

What is everyone else doing for the summer???

~above~

Does anyone know what we are supposed to do regarding physicals/immunizations? I don't remember ever hearing about the requirements. Maybe we will receive something in the mail concerning this. This and the Ochem study guide is all I am really not too sure about yet. I am still trying to tie up all the loose ends without forgetting something. Hope all is well with everyone!

I checked their student health website and they have a list of immunizations that the center does (with prices).

http://www.pacificu.edu/healthcenter/fees/index.cfm

Also, I think this site is helpful for. It contains required immunizations:

http://www.pacificu.edu/healthcenter/forms/index.cfm

Id probably wait for the school to send the stuff out tho (just in case).

Thank you! That was very helpful. Looks like we might just need to fill out an immunization record.... thanks again!

can someone tell me the people who are on this forum often that are currently p1's at pacific?

Also is it wasted time looking for money in the form of grant/scholarship for pharm school, is it just generally assumed money comes from loans/work?

can someone tell me the people who are on this forum often that are currently p1's at pacific?

Also is it wasted time looking for money in the form of grant/scholarship for pharm school, is it just generally assumed money comes from loans/work?

DannyPx and Biology are two names that come to mind. They are active with pre pharms (soon to be p1s) - and I assume are members of the Ambassador program. Aside from them, there are others out there - but not so active with us. You can look back at the original Pacific thread (the one before the roll call) to learn the names of those from the first Pacific class.

As to financing school - most scholarships seem to be in the form of tuition reimbursement. Is anyone else familiar with grants for Professional school attendance?

~above~

Hello Rebith75,
I hope you are enjoying your summer vacation. Just that you know, I am here to answer your question(s). So I suggest you feel free to PM me any time and I will resepond ASAP. I hope that helps.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you soon.

Hey everyone,

I have sent my letter to Pacific University to let them know that I will not be attending this Fall. I have chosen to attend another College. Pacific University is a wonderful school, and anyone attending as a student is very fortunate. I wish the best of luck to everyone, and hope someone will enjoy me seat!! I hope to come out to Portland and visit someday, and will hopefully keep in touch with the Pacific forum to see how the year/years are going.

Thanks,

shawr

Hey everyone,

I have sent my letter to Pacific University to let them know that I will not be attending this Fall. I have chosen to attend another College. Pacific University is a wonderful school, and anyone attending as a student is very fortunate. I wish the best of luck to everyone, and hope someone will enjoy me seat!! I hope to come out to Portland and visit someday, and will hopefully keep in touch with the Pacific forum to see how the year/years are going.

Thanks,

shawr

Shaw - thanks for letting us know... Well - we shall see if anything happens with the Alt. list now - seeing as we know for a fact that at least 3 people have given up their seat. When did you send the letter Shaw???

When do you gents think I should contact Kent???

~above~

Shaw - thanks for letting us know... Well - we shall see if anything happens with the Alt. list now - seeing as we know for a fact that at least 3 people have given up their seat. When did you send the letter Shaw???

When do you gents think I should contact Kent???

~above~

Sounds like you're chomping at the bit to get an update (I know I would be), so I say go for it now. You may even want to mention that you were accepted to other schools, but that Pacific is your first choice and that you would appreciate receiving an update on your status right away. It may prompt a greater sense of urgency among Kent and/or the rest of the admissions office.

Good luck!

It's official...I'll be attending Pacific next year. Hardest decision I've made in a LONG time, but I'm excited to start in August!

It's official...I'll be attending Pacific next year. Hardest decision I've made in a LONG time, but I'm excited to start in August!

HI Pharm47... congrats on making your decision! For some reason I thought you already decided.. I must have misread a previous post or something. Ooppsss:) So what was the the major deciding factor? It must be a sigh of relief. Now you can try to have a relaxing summer! See you in the fall!

We so had you won over a long time ago... I just didn't want the OSU boys know we were stealing one of their star players!!!

hahah - Congrats Pharm!!!

As for my own spot - now that Tic, Pharmacy2007, and shawr have dropped their seats - I think it is only a matter of time. Hope everyone is have a great summer

~above~

man I am so fired up to get started in the fall, I did the whole take a year off thing so ive been hanging out doing the blue collar thing for awhile and cant wait to get started in school, Anyone have ideas as to how to prepare for pacific in between watching sportscenter and blue collar working sessions? Might as well make my downtime useful... I need to freshen up my Ochem (have not taken in 3 years) I guess, maybe Ill go get some textbooks from pacific and learn the material while I sit around ha

Howdy ya'll! I am new around here and I have loved reading all the great information about Pacific in this thread. I am anxiously awaiting the application packets for next year. Is there anyone reading this that is applying for 2008?

The day is here... LADIES & GENTS!!!!!

I have been accepted to Pacific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I didn't have a genetics test in the morning - I would be out celebrating tonight... hahah

Thanks for helping me out along the way - you guys know who you are - This journey would not have been nearly as fulfilling if I hadn't had you all to share it with.

I cannot wait for the Fall!!!! I haven't a clue where I will be staying, if I will have enough money to eat, or even how I am going to get there - but it really doesn't matter - Hell or high water - Im gonna be in Hillsboro in 2 months time...

~above~

Howdy ya'll! I am new around here and I have loved reading all the great information about Pacific in this thread. I am anxiously awaiting the application packets for next year. Is there anyone reading this that is applying for 2008?

Hey Rubin - Welcome to the thread - you are probably the first to post for the upcoming 2008 application cycle. More will show up over the next couple of months. Ask any questions you might have here. Come August - you should be the one to start the new Pacific Roll Call & Info thread...

~above~

I have been accepted to Pacific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I didn't have a genetics test in the morning - I would be out celebrating tonight... hahah

Thanks for helping me out along the way - you guys know who you are - This journey would not have been nearly as fulfilling if I hadn't had you all to share it with.

I cannot wait for the Fall!!!! I haven't a clue where I will be staying, if I will have enough money to eat, or even how I am going to get there - but it really doesn't matter - Hell or high water - Im gonna be in Hillsboro in 2 months time...

~above~

Why are you so excited Seth? The only one surprised is you. I mean, I already had a seat saved for you during our orientation. :D haha, jk.

Congrats my man. I can only imagine what you had to go through. But I highly doubt anyone who was #1 on any waitlist was turned away.

Just get on that FAFSA asap, make sure your vaccinations are up to date, and take a plane ride to Oregon for a weekend to sign a lease and you're all set. If it weren't for our huge vaccination packet this past week, we wouldn't have much to do for PU.

Again, congrats!!

Congrats Above:thumbup:

Seth - I'm so glad they finally told you the good news! We all knew it was just a matter of time, but you must be ecstatic to hear now rather than late August! I must admit I've been checking the forum almost daily hoping to see a post from you....good job!

So everybody knew huh??? haha - oh well... so can somone post when the first day of orientation is - also can you post the required immunizations? I haven't got anything yet (just an email) - I am heading back to Orlando tonight - so I may be able to get my vaccination records.

Thanks

~above~

Hey Above, CONGRATS!

Anyways, check this link out. It contains health forms required.

http://www.pacificu.edu/healthcenter/forms/index.cfm

I would probably wait for the packet from Pacific (I havent really checked to see if the two are the same)(but it will give you an idea what's required).

Here are the dates given to us so far:

8/22 - Orientation
8/23 - Orientation & White coat ceremony
8/25 - Pacific team building workshop

Also, it would be good to apply for the Oregon pharm tech license since the deadline for that is like....June 26?? Just call the school to get all the info.

There is also a yahoo email group for incoming P1's(for any questions etc) via yahoo. Perhaps, DannyPX or one of the incoming P2s can add you. :)

So everybody knew huh??? haha - oh well... so can somone post when the first day of orientation is - also can you post the required immunizations? I haven't got anything yet (just an email) - I am heading back to Orlando tonight - so I may be able to get my vaccination records.

Thanks

~above~

~above~

Congratulation Seth. I am glad it worked out well for you eventually. I completely did not understand the confusion going on why they did not call you earlier... Anyway, thats whole lot of different issue. For now its celeration... Cheers!!

Hey guys - I appreciate all of the sentiments... Just to let someone else know - I was admitted from the waitlist - and someone else as well... So everyone look at your number - and subtract (2). I haven't met #2, 3, or 4 - but one of our compatriots is #5 - we should see things start to move now...

Hey Ipinjoy - thanks for the info... I have all of those except Hep A - I have never seen that required before... Oh well - I have time - I will get the license taken care of monday... Thanks again everyone - Pac U rocks...

~above~

Congrats Above! It will be great to see you there. Good luck with everything between now and then. I know the whole "finding a place to live" and moving thing can get pretty stressful. I was hoping to have a really relaxing summer, but I am finding I am getting soooo nervous to start school. Is anyone else getting anxious? I am anxious by nature, so it's probably just me... haha. Hope all is well with everyone!!

Hey guys - I appreciate all of the sentiments... Just to let someone else know - I was admitted from the waitlist - and someone else as well... So everyone look at your number - and subtract (2). I haven't met #2, 3, or 4 - but one of our compatriots is #5 - we should see things start to move now...

Hey Ipinjoy - thanks for the info... I have all of those except Hep A - I have never seen that required before... Oh well - I have time - I will get the license taken care of monday... Thanks again everyone - Pac U rocks...

~above~

Hi Above,
Now you know for sure that dreams do come true. I am happy for you and please do not hesitate to inform me if I can be of help anytime.

~above~

Congratulations, man! Nicely done!

Again - I really appreciate the sentiments... I can't wait until Fall.

One question - is anyone else still completing Pre-Reqs??? Earlier, I had contacted Pacific, stating that I would be completing Org Lab over summer - finishing August 9th. However, in the letter I just received - it states Pre-Reqs need to be completed by July 15th...

hmmm - I hope I am not in trouble. Any thoughts? Jon Erik is out of the office until Next Monday - maybe I can give Kent a call if he isn't too busy.

~above~

Hi Above,

I wont be done with my prereqs until Aug 3rd. It shouldnt be a problem. Ive talked to John Erik and Kent about it repeatedly and they both said it that it was fine. I just got it in writing via email just in case. It shouldnt be a problem.

Just give them a heads up and maybe get it in email so you can use it as reference.

Again - I really appreciate the sentiments... I can't wait until Fall.

One question - is anyone else still completing Pre-Reqs??? Earlier, I had contacted Pacific, stating that I would be completing Org Lab over summer - finishing August 9th. However, in the letter I just received - it states Pre-Reqs need to be completed by July 15th...

hmmm - I hope I am not in trouble. Any thoughts? Jon Erik is out of the office until Next Monday - maybe I can give Kent a call if he isn't too busy.

~above~