out of state for texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have no ties to Texas whatsoever, haven't even been to Texas, as a matter of fact.

If I am fortunate to get interviewed, should I try to sell myself as a person willing to stay in Texas as a resident and physician in the future (I wouldn't mind living in Texas, to tell the truth).

Yeah, I would. You need to play the game, and ultimately they are looking for people who would want to stay around. Do some research on where the school is, and general texas info (never forget the alamo!), so you at least have some legitimate reasons for wanting to be here.

Not sure about the income tax thing...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I would. You need to play the game, and ultimately they are looking for people who would want to stay around. Do some research on where the school is, and general texas info (never forget the alamo!), so you at least have some legitimate reasons for wanting to be here.

Not sure about the income tax thing...

Nope, Texas has no individual income tax (companies are a different matter). Nevada, Florida, New Hampshire, Wyoming, Alaska, and I believe South Dakota also have no individual income tax. There's your tax trivia for the week!;)

Nasty bad neuro test tomorrow. :scared: (it's also my son's birthday!:hardy:)

I have a quick question: I am using a committee packet for my letters of recommendation and I was wondering if my application will be marked complete and sent out to schools without the packet first reaching TMDSAS. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a quick question: I am using a committee packet for my letters of recommendation and I was wondering if my application will be marked complete and sent out to schools without the packet first reaching TMDSAS. Thanks!
Yes, at least in the past they would send ot applications without the committee packet. None of the applications, however, will be sent out until mid-June, so you're fine!

dd and cpa, aren't you guys glad you didn't end up at uthscsa haha? I just read a thread in the gen res forum about alleged physical abuse of a couple of residents. maybe i should email my uncle and see if he uses students as punching bags...:scared:

hope those tests are going well. almost there...

dd and cpa, aren't you guys glad you didn't end up at uthscsa haha? I just read a thread in the gen res forum about alleged physical abuse of a couple of residents. maybe i should email my uncle and see if he uses students as punching bags...:scared:

hope those tests are going well. almost there...

hmmm...had not heard about that. I'd still like to end up there for residency (if not before...long story).

Had a 161 question (66 practical, 95 written) neuro test today. It took 3 1/2 hours. :eek: I think it was ok. The practical was definitely better than the last one, but the written was NASTY.

Just have he NBME neuro final to go.:)

I'd still like to end up there for residency (if not before...long story).

oooooo....do i detect a juicy story behind this? only one more test...must.....soldier...on......

oooooo....do i detect a juicy story behind this? only one more test...must.....soldier...on......

No juicy story. It's just that my husband is hopefully about to get a new job that will make him much happier and provide us with a lot more money. Two great things. BUT, the job is a good 30 minutes from our house and will require a good bit of travel. My parents are great and a huge help, but they are not getting any younger (dad will be 76 next month). In the past year or so I've watched my dad go from a big strong guy to an old man. It's kind of scary. No real health problems that I know of (in fact, he's been going to the gym almost every day).

I'm just afraid that in my third year, I'm never going to get to go home, and it is so hard for my family to come up here for weekends, so I've decided that I have to apply for a transfer next year. I have no guarantee of getting one, and I'd much rather stay at A&M, but family has to come first.

UTHSCSA seems to be very secretive about transfers - it's all over A&M's website, but I had to go through 4 people at UTHSCSA for them to tell me I need to write a letter to a particular person around the first of December, then they'll tell me the next steps.:mad: We'll see what happens, but I have to try.

hmmm...had not heard about that. I'd still like to end up there for residency (if not before...long story).

Had a 161 question (66 practical, 95 written) neuro test today. It took 3 1/2 hours. :eek: I think it was ok. The practical was definitely better than the last one, but the written was NASTY.

Just have he NBME neuro final to go.:)

I will feel your pain next monday, that is almost the exact same number of questions we'll have for our neuro final. Maybe a tad bit more on each side though ;)

Good luck on the shelf! :luck:

1 test down, like a million more to go :thumbdown:

Yes, at least in the past they would send ot applications without the committee packet. None of the applications, however, will be sent out until mid-June, so you're fine!

Thanks cpa2md!

Just finished my OSCE! Not too shabby :thumbup:

3 weeks, 3 tests, 1 sign language presentation to go!

:luck::luck::luck::luck:

I'm likely to be done by the time you read this. :p Final at 9.

Oh ye of little faith :rolleyes:

And don't stick your tongue out at me Ms. I-start-2nd-year-in-July... ;)

Good luck on the final!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm likely to be done by the time you read this. :p Final at 9.

Guess you're done by now ;) Hope it went well! Enjoy your time off

Just finished my OSCE! Not too shabby :thumbup:

3 weeks, 3 tests, 1 sign language presentation to go!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll knock them all dead! :thumbup:

Finished block tests today, only two weeks of finals then done! Can we get a banana happy dance for almost being done with first year?!...I think we can...:banana::banana::banana:

Yep, I finished my final final today! Let's just hope I'm done. :oops: I do hope I don't have to do summer school.

Start my preceptorship on Monday. It was kind of weird, almost sad, saying goodbye to everyone at our picnic today. We'll all be back in a few weeks, but it was still strage.

Had a great first day at my preceptorship. Patient #2 came in with a cough and a fever, no obvious distress. She's on Remicade and methotrexate for RA, so she's immune-comprimised. Negative for strep, positive for flu.:scared: The doctor had not had a positive flu since the whole scare began, so we got to learn the whole protocol for testing this week. Even better, her insurance wouldn't cover the lab it had to be sent to. :mad: Think it's ok, though.

Also saw a new patient with myotonic muscular dystrophy. That is being managed by a neurologist, so our mission was the ancillary issues (mainly no primary care doc for the past 5 years due to insurance). I think I actually knew a little bit more about MMD than the doctor, and got to spend several minutes talking to the guy while she went and looked up some info. ;)

I even got to hear a bruit in a median arcuate ligament coarctation of the celiac artery. :)

I never felt stupid today, which is a great feeling, but I did feel somewhere between fly-on-the-wall and fifth wheel most of the day. The best part...I don't have to study tonight!:laugh:

Have a great week, guys!:luck:

Had a great first day at my preceptorship. Patient #2 came in with a cough and a fever, no obvious distress. She's on Remicade and methotrexate for RA, so she's immune-comprimised. Negative for strep, positive for flu.:scared: The doctor had not had a positive flu since the whole scare began, so we got to learn the whole protocol for testing this week. Even better, her insurance wouldn't cover the lab it had to be sent to. :mad: Think it's ok, though.

Also saw a new patient with myotonic muscular dystrophy. That is being managed by a neurologist, so our mission was the ancillary issues (mainly no primary care doc for the past 5 years due to insurance). I think I actually knew a little bit more about MMD than the doctor, and got to spend several minutes talking to the guy while she went and looked up some info. ;)

I even got to hear a bruit in a median arcuate ligament coarctation of the celiac artery. :)

I never felt stupid today, which is a great feeling, but I did feel somewhere between fly-on-the-wall and fifth wheel most of the day. The best part...I don't have to study tonight!:laugh:

Have a great week, guys!:luck:

Wow you mean there are actually applicable scenarios to all the mumbo jumbo we learn??? :eek: Who knew...

So I'm down to a week and a day, four tests...phys shelf tomorrow, and my motivation is beyond gone. I calculated my lowest grade I need in every class which has probably hurt the studying situation if anything. Ugh, ready for summer...

Wow you mean there are actually applicable scenarios to all the mumbo jumbo we learn??? :eek: Who knew...

So I'm down to a week and a day, four tests...phys shelf tomorrow, and my motivation is beyond gone. I calculated my lowest grade I need in every class which has probably hurt the studying situation if anything. Ugh, ready for summer...

good luck on the shelf. Phys shelf was nasty for us...then again, that's the one I took when recovering from pneumonia.

Believe me, there were people done with our neuro shelf in a fairly brief period of time - just scan the question and be done. Those people, of course, were the top 10% types who didn't care if they made a B in the class. ;) I was not one of those.

Nothing else too terribly interesting this week - lots of DM, neuropathy, HTN, etc.

:luck::luck:

I hope the preceptorship is still going well CPA! :thumbup: Please feel free to share any gross and or interesting stories at your earliest convience. I'd prefer the former, but whatever :)

How are finals treating you lacrosse? I'm sure you're dominating :cool:

So I'm down to my last 2, ICM tomorrow and micro shelf friday. I could care less about either. Turned out you were kind of right about phys cpa. I don't know how I did yet, but it was definitely a bit more difficult than I was ready for. Almost summer! :soexcited:

Preceptorship is going just fine - still only have had one incidence of feeling stupid or incompetent, but it wasn't my fault the woman's arm was bigger than my thigh and I couldn't get the blood pressure cuff to stay on it.:rolleyes:

Mostly it has been routine stuff. It's amazing how many labs and tests and referrals she does. It makes me want to work with someone who actually does things. I'm off this afternoon, tomorrow, Thursday afternoon, Friday, and Monday, though, so I can't complain!:)

MS 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :claps::claps::banana::banana:

That is all....

BTW, where on earth is lacrosse?

Hooray, dd!!! I found out Wednesday that I did, in reality, pass. I'm officially an M2 now! Lacrosse has definitely been missing in action for a while. Probably studying. :rolleyes:

My mom had to get her back injected again today, and I went with her. She has significant narrowing of her L2-L3 disk space, and the narrowed foramina is irritating her left femoral nerve roots. The PM&R doc (a D.O.) used fluoroscopy to inject into the spaces. It was pretty cool. Mom was sedated, but still awake (the IV fell out). I got to wear a lead apron and the whole deal. The Scotty dog was a topic of discussion. ;) Now we just have to hope she's better enough for her trip next week (cruise through Northern Europe).

Good luck lacrosse!!:luck:

haha sorry guys! I actually haven't been studying... whoops! Our class play was tonight so I've been working all week on that because somehow I went from not being a part of it to running the show. It was a ton of fun, though! But, this is definitely a study week. Clinical test and last sciencey test this coming week!

haha sorry guys! I actually haven't been studying... whoops! Our class play was tonight so I've been working all week on that because somehow I went from not being a part of it to running the show. It was a ton of fun, though! But, this is definitely a study week. Clinical test and last sciencey test this coming week!

Class play???? I'm speechless. :rolleyes: Why am I not surprised you ran it?

Do give us details, please. What play do med students perform? Frankenstein?:laugh::laugh:

Good luck this week!

Class play???? I'm speechless. :rolleyes: Why am I not surprised you ran it?

Do give us details, please. What play do med students perform? Frankenstein?:laugh::laugh:

Good luck this week!

Its tradition around here... the 1st years do a play and the 4th years do a play.

It's something we make up ourselves to make fun of teachers and to bring up old memories. Ours was a Slumdog Millionaire theme called Who Wants to be a Second Year. If you've seen the movie (I haven't, yet I wrote most of it haha), the guy answering the questions knows the answers because sometime in his life he came across it. So after every question, we had a flashback scene that were memories from our first year. We also had "commercials" throughout that were pretty funny. Every thing was on video except for the question answer parts and then my friend and I did a Weekend Update (a la SNL) as Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon. I even did a lovely Sarah Palin impersonation :p It was a lot of work, but so much fun! My classmates had a good time and some teachers even came and really enjoyed it. Time to start studying, though :thumbdown:

Congratulations MS2s!! You are the first team to arrive. For winning this leg of the race, Travelocity has agreed to...oh wait, wrong show. Hope everyone's summer plans go well! I expect a cure for...something.

A class play? Hmmm....I'm gonna have to leave this one to dd, since I already cracked on the presidency bit, and because UTMB had us put on a class talent show during orientation. Sounds like you had fun though. I'm starting to think Snowbird is Roach Student Life:D:thumbup:.

cpa, I hope your mother's doing better. Mine has lower back probs too. Yesterday my dad's BP hit 171/92. Today it was 155/79. That's with him on Lotrel and Toprol. And yet the exercise bike I bought him years ago works out nothing but dust particles.:rolleyes:

dd, ready for another hurricane season:scared::p?

Unfortunately kudu, I have very little place to talk when it comes to class performances. We do a bunch of them for retreat and I'll more than likely have to be in one or two...

So we had research orientation today. Was kind of ******ed. Presentations and safety speeches I've already heard before. I think it's mostly for the college kids in the summer programs anyway. So I snuck out early :p Though I gave a tour to the undergrad kids, so I'm sure that made up for it.

Not sure I'm ready for hurricane season, *sigh* hopefully can't be much worse than last year right? I'm sure I'll eat my words down the line...

That's right...one of the major downsides of Baylor is that you guys don't get a nice break, do you? We get 11 weeks this year. 3 down, 8 more glorious weeks to go!!:D

:D Haha, my bad jolie :) What all is involved 2nd year for you guys?

I'm not too sure how different ours' is. I know we have pbl, so we'll have to see how that goes...

As for time off, I want to say around 12 weeksish...:eyebrow:

:D Haha, my bad jolie :) What all is involved 2nd year for you guys?

I'm not too sure how different ours' is. I know we have pbl, so we'll have to see how that goes...

As for time off, I want to say around 12 weeksish...:eyebrow:

We'll be in clinics in January. Once we're done for the summer it'll only be a few more months of tests. We take Step I whenever we want, too.

:hello: Long time no talk... how is everyone? I started work this week. I've been to the genetics clinic twice and reaaaaaally like it. As far as the research goes... its somewhat slow right now because I'm waiting on approval from the IRB (which might take 2 more weeks) so I can get my DNA samples from the people involved. I spent like 5-6 hours Tuesday making DNA primers for the gene I want to amplify... way fun :rolleyes: The lab manager said she would email me when they came in so we could do PCR on some sample DNA, but she hasn't emailed yet... I'm like the step-child in the lab, so I dunno if she likes me :laugh:

Other than that, a good bunch of us are around this summer, so we have a slow pitch softball team. We had our second game last night (which was my first since I was out of town last week) and its funny how "legit" it is... there's a real umpire w/ a real uniform and everything. We played some surgical residents and beat them 9-3. I was catcher cause none of the guys wanted to stand back there... and I found out why. I got hit 4 times :p Oh well, bruises heal :thumbup:

I thought everyone had dropped from the face of the earth!

I'm good...been a bum all week. My son had his wisdom teeth out on Monday. The oral surgeon is a friend of ours, and took me around the clinic, introducing me to everyone. He's also called the house 3 times, and asked once in person, checking up on the boy. Makes you feel good. He also wrote the words "insurance only" in the file. That makes you feel REALLY good. :D

Other than that, I've truly been a bum this week, and I'm bored out of my skull! :laugh: I guess I need to find something to do. My daughter will be back tomorrow evening (Guatemala), so she'll have me out of the house.

Hope everyone is well!

:hello: Long time no talk... how is everyone? I started work this week. I've been to the genetics clinic twice and reaaaaaally like it. As far as the research goes... its somewhat slow right now because I'm waiting on approval from the IRB (which might take 2 more weeks) so I can get my DNA samples from the people involved. I spent like 5-6 hours Tuesday making DNA primers for the gene I want to amplify... way fun :rolleyes: The lab manager said she would email me when they came in so we could do PCR on some sample DNA, but she hasn't emailed yet... I'm like the step-child in the lab, so I dunno if she likes me :laugh:

Other than that, a good bunch of us are around this summer, so we have a slow pitch softball team. We had our second game last night (which was my first since I was out of town last week) and its funny how "legit" it is... there's a real umpire w/ a real uniform and everything. We played some surgical residents and beat them 9-3. I was catcher cause none of the guys wanted to stand back there... and I found out why. I got hit 4 times :p Oh well, bruises heal :thumbup:

Hey guys!

There are so many people I know right waiting on IRB approval it's insane. They can't really do any research so they are either sitting at home or shadowing. My research is going ok so far. I've spent the last two weeks learning various lab techniques. Mostly I do something for 10 to 20 mins then sit down and wait on samples, to incubate, cells to grow, etc.

Softball here too lacrosse! We are awseome though, 4-0 :D

I've been getting a tad bored occasionally too cpa. I've picked up golf, though I kind of suck. Still sort of weird not to have anything required of me :confused:

Softball here too lacrosse! We are awseome though, 4-0 :D

I've been getting a tad bored occasionally too cpa. I've picked up golf, though I kind of suck. Still sort of weird not to have anything required of me :confused:

Hey, we're 2-0... gettin there!

I heart summer. No requirements = lovely. I have tickets for the baseball All Star Game which is in St. Louis this year so I asked the guy I'm working for if I could go back for it. He told me "This is your summer. Don't think of it as you work for me, but much the opposite-- I work for you." :thumbup:

Today I learned PCR. It was... yeah.

cpa, hope your son is not super chipmunkish and daughter got home okay and has some good pictures/stories!

Earth to kudu :confused:

Important research update!!!...I'm still waiting on cells to grow...Did get a fun lecture by one of the fellows in the lab the other day about my utter and complete incompentence regarding forgetting to turn the UV light on in the hood when I was done. Which could apparently ruin every experiment they've ever done, are doing, or could do in the near future :rolleyes: (I exagerate slightly, but I'm annoyed as after informing me of this he felt the need to inform the PI, whatevs)

On the plus side hours are still good, it's allowing me to get pretty good at golf ;) Plus our softball team won another game :thumbup:

Hey! I'm a 2+ year member! Just saw that...

Important research update!!!...I'm still waiting on cells to grow...Did get a fun lecture by one of the fellows in the lab the other day about my utter and complete incompentence regarding forgetting to turn the UV light on in the hood when I was done. Which could apparently ruin every experiment they've ever done, are doing, or could do in the near future :rolleyes: (I exagerate slightly, but I'm annoyed as after informing me of this he felt the need to inform the PI, whatevs)

On the plus side hours are still good, it's allowing me to get pretty good at golf ;) Plus our softball team won another game :thumbup:

Isn't waiting just so fun? :rolleyes: That's so lame about the fellow. What a tattler. It's like the expect us to be at their level w/ all this stuff already!

My hours are great too... I'm kinda the step child in the lab so they don't care when I come and go. And I love going to genetics clinic. Yay for your softball team... we got rained out this week. :thumbdown:

It would appear we've lost our friendly neighborhood kudu :p

Softball game tonight, hoping the streak stays alive! :xf:

Hope everyone had a good 4th! :hardy:

Wow! You exist! I had a good 4th...my husband's whole family is here (parents, two sisters, niece, nephew, cousin, aunt) so we've been going to other peoples' houses and crashing parties. ;) We went to our friends' lake house yesterday and had a cook out, and today went to my parents' house and went swimming in the pool. Just wish it would rain or at least wouldn't be 104. :(

Oh, should have mentioned that I ripped down my kitchen wallpaper, successfully tiled my backsplash, and painted my kitchen this week. Still not done, but the invasion occurred. I have 3 weeks until school starts up again to finish.

My son has his driving permit, too.

Last edited:
Oh, should have mentioned that I ripped down my kitchen wallpaper, successfully tiled my backsplash, and painted my kitchen this week. Still not done, but the invasion occurred. I have 3 weeks until school starts up again to finish.

:scared: That statement is extremely frightening!!

Three more weeks of research here, then off for two. I'm going to attempt to go see the fam, in that time, it's been a while...

Hope you guys are enjoying the summer!

My son has his driving permit, too.

I would say that this statement is more frightening... at least for cpa and the city/surrounding area of San Antonio ;)

I start class August 10th... so however many weeks that is. I'm trying not to countdown, because that makes it seem too close. I'm going home twice before then, though, so I'm excited for that.

dd, I thought of you today when I was working out... there was a high speed chase in Houston that was on the news. I wondered, does dd have a white van? :rolleyes:

dd, I thought of you today when I was working out... there was a high speed chase in Houston that was on the news. I wondered, does dd have a white van? :rolleyes:

Haha, no van anymore... :p

I hadn't actually heard about that, I love a good high speed chase! :thumbup:

Someone has a birthday tomorrow.... :hardy:

That would be me! Problem is, I'm having one of the crappiest days ever!:( Oh, well, life will get better.

I start back to school Monday at 8:30. What about you guys?

That would be me! Problem is, I'm having one of the crappiest days ever!:( Oh, well, life will get better.

I start back to school Monday at 8:30. What about you guys?

That's no fun, sorry to hear that. I hope it ended up getting better, and that you had a good birthday!

OMG! Monday?! Please accept my condolences :p I have a little less than month left. I've got another week and a half of my research program then a glorious two and a half weeks of complete freedom! it will be nice. Hope you guys are enjoying the last remaining bits of the last summer of our lives... :(