out of state for texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, DD...I heard bad things happened to your class today. :scared: What's the scoop, and more importantly, the fall out?:confused:

We have our NBME final on Monday, and we're done until orientation on June 14. Oh, well, there's this other test that I'm taking June 2, but..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, DD...I heard bad things happened to your class today. :scared: What's the scoop, and more importantly, the fall out?:confused:

We have our NBME final on Monday, and we're done until orientation on June 14. Oh, well, there's this other test that I'm taking June 2, but..

I want the scoop, too! Even though I have no idea what you're talking about. Word doesn't travel too quickly from TX to NY...

lol, wow news travels fast...

So we have yet to really find out what's going on to be honest...but anyway, we were taking our FCM final yesterday, 20 mins into the exam the course director and all of student affairs walks in (of course looking very official in their white coats...and quite angry...) they say to stop the test close your questions and answer sheets and pass everything to the right. Then they pretty much just walk out and say, "we'll be in touch." They didn't send out any emails yesterday so we're all just in limbo wondering WTF happened. Doesn't help we still have 3 exams left next week, and probably 4 if we're going to have to take that one again...

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, wow news travels fast...

So we have yet to really find out what's going on to be honest...but anyway, we were taking our FCM final yesterday, 20 mins into the exam the course director and all of student affairs walks in (of course looking very official in their white coats...and quite angry...) they say to stop the test close your questions and answer sheets and pass everything to the right. Then they pretty much just walk out and say, "we'll be in touch." They didn't send out any emails yesterday so we're all just in limbo wondering WTF happened. Doesn't help we still have 3 exams left next week, and probably 4 if we're going to have to take that one again...

I'm lost. That sounds super shady.

I'm lost. That sounds super shady.

Lol, join the club

There are a number of working theories, ranging from someone stealing a test, to others thinking it had something to do with some of our study guides we'd been using being "inappropriate." Far be it from me to criticize our wonderful student affairs :rolleyes: but I've heard of them making less than fair choices before...

Part of me is surprised you guys still have paper tests. ALL our tests (with the exception of lab tests answer sheets for gross) have been computer tests.

We have test reviews after tests where you are permitted to look over the test, but are only allowed a pen or pencil with which to take notes. There was a report earlier this year that someone was using their phone to take pictures of the tests during review, and that caused a big stink, but that's it. It was never even specified whether it was a first year or second year student.

Good luck! Hope this all blows over very soon and it's on to 3rd year!!:xf:

Part of me is surprised you guys still have paper tests. ALL our tests (with the exception of lab tests answer sheets for gross) have been computer tests.

We have test reviews after tests where you are permitted to look over the test, but are only allowed a pen or pencil with which to take notes. There was a report earlier this year that someone was using their phone to take pictures of the tests during review, and that caused a big stink, but that's it. It was never even specified whether it was a first year or second year student.

Good luck! Hope this all blows over very soon and it's on to 3rd year!!:xf:

We have the same policy with not keeping tests and the reviews afterwards. I think part of the issue may be some of these wily med students have nearly photographic memories and are able to remember questions and answers ;) Though to be fair, there is nothing in the academic conduct regarding this...

We have the same policy with not keeping tests and the reviews afterwards. I think part of the issue may be some of these wily med students have nearly photographic memories and are able to remember questions and answers ;) Though to be fair, there is nothing in the academic conduct regarding this...

Really? We keep ours... And this year, we went totally computerized and can see the tests online for awhile (until the class ends, then the links don't work).

Really? We keep ours... And this year, we went totally computerized and can see the tests online for awhile (until the class ends, then the links don't work).

First year we had some old paper tests available, but we don't get to see ours again unless we go to the review session. All we have for that is a paper with our answers on it, and I assume the actual test with the correct answers. Personally, I've never been to a review session. I'd be too angry with myself, as I stay now doing review questions for Step 1. :mad:

So our awesome school faculty decided to reschedule our FCM test for thursday. All they said was, "there was a test irregularity, new test thursday at 9 a.m." :thumbup: Awesome...

Got our 3rd year schedules, going to be starting with peds, unless I swap or something...

So our awesome school faculty decided to reschedule our FCM test for thursday. All they said was, "there was a test irregularity, new test thursday at 9 a.m." :thumbup: Awesome...

Got our 3rd year schedules, going to be starting with peds, unless I swap or something...

Fishy...

Do you not want to start w/ peds? Might be good to do in the summer... winter months are super busy.

Family Med shelf tomorrow... dun dun dun :eek:

And where is kudu when you need him to make fun of you for living in Rochester? Snowflakes today :laugh:

Edit: Hope you had a good Mother's Day, cpa!

Last edited:
And where is kudu when you need him to make fun of you for living in Rochester? Snowflakes today :laugh:

Shut up! :eek: It's like 85 here today

I'm not opposed to peds first, it's just the overall schedule they gave me next year I'm not entirely happy with, but am probably going to just go with it.

Step 1. Sounds deceptively innocuous. Damn thing looks to have evacuated the oos thread. When do you guys get the results back from that turd?

I hope everyone remembered lacrosse's b-day ;)

Uh, whoops:oops:. Let's consider this fashionably late....Happy BDay El Presidente!! And to anyone else I missed!

Someone stole my credit card info a few weeks ago and spent $4 at a ceramic store and $110 at the post office (apparently petty criminals lead fairly unexciting lives). The bank changed my acct# and everything seems cool now.

Couple months ago my father informed me he's going to leave me his 80 acres when he's gone. Good to know I guess haha.

So I ended up applying to a radiographer program. Admissions is strictly numbers based (ugrad gpa, # of hrs, etc). They usually accept about 10%, and I got waitlisted! Thankfully, I got the call a week later. I have most of the gen ed credits already of course, so it'll be mostly clinical training with some physics thrown in. Tuition is dirt cheap. We start getting put into hospitals in Aug, and we have a list of 10 to choose from.

There are 28 of us. We met current students at orientation. Several career changers (accounting, IT). They seem like happy campers. Guess there's something ticklish 'bout zapping hapless people with lethal forms of radiation, and having them thank you for it:).

Shalom, amigos!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kudu speaks!!:biglove:

Hey, Kudu, we've missed you...LOTS!!! I took Step 1 last Wednesday. Hopefully, I'm done with it. It was as yucky as I was afraid it might be. I just hope I'm not one of the 6% who fail. :scared:

In case you haven't heard...UTHSCSA rejected me AGAIN!!:mad: So I will be back at A&M next week for third year orientation. In what city are you currently residing? It just hasn't been the same without you around here.:cry:

I know Lacrosse is taking Step 1 on the 21st, don't know about DD.

Take care! and keep in touch!!

Wow, I thought I saw a kudu!!!

I was also going to ask where you are now but cpa beat me to it.

I'm sure you did great on the test cpa, you're a smarty pants after all ;) I can't believe you guys already start orientation...though I can't believe ours it at the end of the month, craziness...

My test is 14th...a week from monday :scared: I honestly think I could study another few months for the test and still not be ready for it, I'm getting to where I just want to get it over with.

CPA, I was also wondering how you did your breaks during the test? Trying to get an idea of the best way to pace myself...plus I have a nervous bladder and probably will have to go to the bathroom frequently :p

No one has ever wished me happy birthday in June... so consider yourself the 1st, kudu... I guess that's an honor? :p

Congrats on the program! Keep us updated on how it's going and how you're liking it!

And cpa and dd, enough w/ the scardey smileys! I don't need to be (more) freaked out right now!

In case you haven't heard...UTHSCSA rejected me AGAIN!!:mad: So I will be back at A&M next week for third year orientation. In what city are you currently residing? It just hasn't been the same without you around here.:cry:

I'm so sorry. I knew it was hard to transfer between schools, but seems like you had a good case. Did they say why not? I don't think UTHSCSA likes M&Ms in general:rolleyes:.

I live just south of Mansfield (southern fringes of DFW, for the NYer). And thanks, I've missed my Dr friends too!

No one has ever wished me happy birthday in June... so consider yourself the 1st, kudu... I guess that's an honor? :p

Congrats on the program! Keep us updated on how it's going and how you're liking it!

Well, you're kinda popular. I felt I had to get ahead of the crowd. In fact, Tickmaster recently opened up sales for the April 17, 2011 event, and I was all over it. Stupid convenience charge....

Got CPR certified last week. Aced my first two tests, which were today. So far so good. I figure as long as I don't send anyone out of the hospital with any polythelia they didn't come in with, I'll be alright.

I took Step 1 last Wednesday. Hopefully, I'm done with it. It was as yucky as I was afraid it might be. I just hope I'm not one of the 6% who fail. :scared:

My test is 14th...a week from monday :scared: I honestly think I could study another few months for the test and still not be ready for it, I'm getting to where I just want to get it over with....plus I have a nervous bladder and probably will have to go to the bathroom frequently :p

And cpa and dd, enough w/ the scardey smileys! I don't need to be (more) freaked out right now!

WTFrick is with the gimp trips? Y'all are gonna face stomp this maggot farmer! Now let me see your war face! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

war_face1.jpg

:luck: dd.

I found out we have a required "uniform", consisting of royal blue scrubs, white shoes, and a shoulder patch. From your hospital exp, will the equation look something like this:

skinny guy + scrubs + hospital = kudu freezing butt off??

Hmmm...hat trick post. Not good:thumbdown:.

:luck: dd.

I found out we have a required "uniform", consisting of royal blue scrubs, white shoes, and a shoulder patch. From your hospital exp, will the equation look something like this:

skinny guy + scrubs + hospital = kudu freezing butt off??

Hmmm...hat trick post. Not good:thumbdown:.

I was going to say yayyyy dd is finished by now, but I'm pretty sure I remember him saying his test started at noon. So he'll be finished soon!

I would happily wear scrubs every day rather than a short white coat. I'd rather be cold... the patient rooms on the medicine floor here are so hot!

And yay for cpa starting her 3rd year today :D

Thanks for the well wishes guys! Everything seemed to go ok for the most part, I was fairly convinced my car would break down on my way there, or the test site would burn down before I could finish, but funnily enough I got through without serious incident :p It is a tad anticlimactic after finishing, I'll be honest.

Hope the program goes smoothly kudu. I would say you could wear a long sleeved undershirt under the scrub top, but that's a tad effeminate, hahahaha!...just sayin'

Good luck on 3rd year cpa, I'll be joining you in two weeks! :D

Almost game time for #73. :luck: Tigress!

Thanks for the well wishes guys! Everything seemed to go ok for the most part, I was fairly convinced my car would break down on my way there, or the test site would burn down before I could finish, but funnily enough I got through without serious incident :p It is a tad anticlimactic after finishing, I'll be honest.

Good to hear. Anticlimactic is usually a good sign haha:thumbup:.

Hope the program goes smoothly kudu. I would say you could wear a long sleeved undershirt under the scrub top, but that's a tad effeminate, hahahaha!...just sayin'

Thank you. We ranked our hospital assignments and I matched to my #2, a 220 bed place not far from me with a newish imaging center on site. We rotate through a different hospital in 2nd year.

I'll just play the wardrobe by ear, on the off chance I find it warm like lacrosse. Otherwise, I have 3 choices...white lab coat (they must be joking), scrub jacket, or something underneath, which has to either not be visible or be royal blue. Combine those with the possibility of some rocker shoes if my bum ankle needs help keeping up, and we're talking about a full lineup of stud gear haha.

Thanks, kudu! Glad to be finished. Just got home today... the weather is disgusting! So humid! Never thought I'd say it, but here goes... I miss Rochester weather :eek:

Haha, guess you wouldn't have been much of a fan of our neck of the woods then. You pretty much swim around in the muggy air through the end of august. Congrats on being done!

Got my pager yesterday :D Orientation monday. I'm not real sure how the peds rotation is going to go, but according to the schedule they sent us we're done at like 2 everyday...too good to believe I'm sure...

Got my pager yesterday :D Orientation monday. I'm not real sure how the peds rotation is going to go, but according to the schedule they sent us we're done at like 2 everyday...too good to believe I'm sure...

I got my pager before I left... otherwise I would have gotten it the first day of surgery and looked like [more of a] fool! And are you sure they didn't mean 2 am?? :rolleyes:

We got our pagers during orientation, but no instructions on how to use it.:confused:

Psych rotation (specifically child psych) has been relatively noneventful. I did get to swab a suspected strep throat today at the inpatient unit. It's a weird week for the docs here because of changes on July 1 - everyone is moving offices, on vacation, etc. They have mock boards tomorrow. Today was the latest I've been done...4:30 (but we didn't start until 9:30 this morning).:rolleyes:

All is generally well. The surgery people, on the other hand, look like:sleep: already!!

Everyone doing alright?

Had my first call night before last. It was definitely different. Was able to get a couple hours of sleep, but it really throws off your sleep schedule. Sort of feel like a deer in headlights trying to figure things out. Not sure how you guys' school does it, but we are really just thrown into it and are sort of just figuring things out as we go along.

Stay strong! :)

Happy 4th!

I have orientation on Tuesday, so I'll let you know how I am about Thursday :)

Yes, happy 4th!

Anybody pleased enough with their footwear on the wards to comment on sdn about it?

Just got home today... the weather is disgusting! So humid! Never thought I'd say it, but here goes... I miss Rochester weather :eek:

My God, what have those sick b*stards done to you:laugh:? Actually, to be honest this time of year I would want to be in Roch too.

BTW, never got around to asking, but how's the cuisine in the roach nest? Do they do anything exceptionally well? Have a friend from PA who swears the bagels up north beat ours with a lead pipe. Decent Mex or BBQ up there?

Everyone doing alright?

Had my first call night before last. It was definitely different. Was able to get a couple hours of sleep, but it really throws off your sleep schedule. Sort of feel like a deer in headlights trying to figure things out. Not sure how you guys' school does it, but we are really just thrown into it and are sort of just figuring things out as we go along.

Paper due tomorrow. 2 finals on Thurs.

I worked a 30 hr shift once. It's doable, but by the end I felt detached, almost medicated haha. I had to keep moving, because if stopped or sat down for more than a few seconds my mattress at home would start calling me to sweet, sweet slumber...."Kuuduuu. Kuuuuuuduuuuuuuu....."

Watch out for the little ones. They bite.

And I don't know why, but pagers seem like such an anachronism to me.

Yes, happy 4th!

Anybody pleased enough with their footwear on the wards to comment on sdn about it?

I got some Sanita's (they are the same thing as Dansko's if you've ever heard of them... but Sanita's is the first generation Dansko, and a bit narrower... should have both at the store if you go try them on, and you can tell a big difference) a few months ago to break them in when I was at preceptor and I really like them. They aren't the most stylish looking things, but I'm for sure taking comfort over style. They are about $115, or somewhere around there. But seem to be built to last.

myKuduSlewaZulu said:
BTW, never got around to asking, but how's the cuisine in the roach nest? Do they do anything exceptionally well? Have a friend from PA who swears the bagels up north beat ours with a lead pipe. Decent Mex or BBQ up there?

Yeah, food's pretty decent here. Not sure about the bagel thing... seem similar to the ones back home... granted, I haven't been to too many bagel places, or had the ones in Texas. Do love our BBQ. We have two really great BBQ places that it's always like an hour or so wait to get into on the weekends. Back home we have some really, really great BBQ, but these ribs are freakin' delicious here. Haven't really been to any Mexican outside of chains, so wouldn't be able to tell you much there.

Good luck on your finals and paper!

First actual day of surgery today (had orientation yesterday)... was in the OR all day and my back is achingggggg! Our first case was like 6 hours long! But, I did get to throw a few sutures (which I somehow did!), do some staples, and help with a skin graft, so it was pretty cool. Need to make myself tired soon... have to be at the hospital at 5:10 am :eek:

First actual day of surgery today (had orientation yesterday)... was in the OR all day and my back is achingggggg! Our first case was like 6 hours long! But, I did get to throw a few sutures (which I somehow did!), do some staples, and help with a skin graft, so it was pretty cool. Need to make myself tired soon... have to be at the hospital at 5:10 am :eek:

Yeah I think all the standing is probably one of the harder parts. I've been use to sitting all the time for the last 2 years.

Peds is going ok, better once you figure out a bit more of what you're doing. Had three days in the nursery last week. Those babies are awesome, you can do so much stuff with them! :)

When are you guys' steps scores out? Mine is day after tomorrow, and I'm beginning to get slightly nervous for the first time in a while.

99.5 and 97 on the finals...gotta love undergrad. 2 classes down. Started funner stuff yesterday. Xray lab is 9-5. We got our dosimeters, and got to fool around with the equip. Looks expensive. I'll see if I can find a way to break it. Clinicals start in 7 wks. I'll see if I can get some time with the CT and MRI machines too.

FYI, several of my classmates have raved about Grey's Anatomy scrubs. I think they're something like 74% polyester, 22% rayon, and 4% spandex. Kinda amusing, but a couple of the guys thinking about getting them are surreptitiously plotting ways to delabel them asap after purchase haha.

I got some Sanita's (they are the same thing as Dansko's if you've ever heard of them... but Sanita's is the first generation Dansko, and a bit narrower... should have both at the store if you go try them on, and you can tell a big difference) a few months ago to break them in when I was at preceptor and I really like them. They aren't the most stylish looking things, but I'm for sure taking comfort over style. They are about $115, or somewhere around there. But seem to be built to last.

Good stuff. Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about Sanitas/Danskos. How are they holding up in surgery? I'm almost certainly going to need to use an arch support/orthotic. Do you think those clogs are compatible with that sort of thing?

When are you guys' steps scores out? Mine is day after tomorrow, and I'm beginning to get slightly nervous for the first time in a while.

260 or bust, bro.

I believe cpa's bd is shortly upon us.

Today :) It took forever though! I was standing in surgery staring at the clock and ran up to a computer as soon as I could and it took forever to load! But, I'm super happy. Hope you guys are too!

99.5 and 97 on the finals.

Good stuff. Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about Sanitas/Danskos. How are they holding up in surgery? I'm almost certainly going to need to use an arch support/orthotic. Do you think those clogs are compatible with that sort of thing?

Look at you, smarty.

I like them. I mean, they obviously aren't going to take away all the hurt of standing for a 4+ hour surgery, but they are good. Truthfully, though, I was expecting a bit more out of them since one of my friends raves about them. I don't think I'd rave about them, but I like them. As for arch support, mine feel pretty supported... you have to break the shoe in for a bit and it somewhat molds to your foot. But if you go to a shoe place to get them, they usually know what they are talking about and can help you w/ it if you need something extra.

Today :) It took forever though! I was standing in surgery staring at the clock and ran up to a computer as soon as I could and it took forever to load! But, I'm super happy. Hope you guys are too!

Congrats! :clap:

We were having one of lectures when it came out, so I was able to check it right at 10! Lol, 'super happy' may be too strong of a word to describe how I felt about my score, but it wasn't terrible, and I passed so I'll take it ;)

I passed. No fireworks, but no tears. Thought about it, but figured it wouldn't do any good. ;)

So I'm doing inpatient psych, and contrary to popular belief, the hours are not great. I've been there at 6:30 every morning, and I was on call until 8 the other evening. Ugh! My attending is ok, but when describing him the adjectives "nice," "pleasant," and "helpful" are not in the top 10. Also, the resident is rather micromanaging us. Telling me what to write in orders is one thing, but telling me how to spell words (which are not medical terms) gets a bit old in a hurry.:smack:

I'm nearly desperate to see my fam about now. They've been cruising the Pac NW. Right now they are hiking in Canyonlands NP in Utah. Apparently it is more stunning than they could've imagined. Hot as hell, but beautiful. They'll be home late Saturday. I'll go home this weekend, too.

We have radiology on Saturday mornings for a couple of more weeks, but then I'll be free most weekends.

Got my schedule for family practice yesterday. I got the clinic that is close into town. I bribed the course coordinator. Some people have to drive 30-45 miles to their clinics. Let's hear it for small towns!

So I'm doing inpatient psych, and contrary to popular belief, the hours are not great. I've been there at 6:30 every morning, and I was on call until 8 the other evening. Ugh! My attending is ok, but when describing him the adjectives "nice," "pleasant," and "helpful" are not in the top 10. Also, the resident is rather micromanaging us. Telling me what to write in orders is one thing, but telling me how to spell words (which are not medical terms) gets a bit old in a hurry.:smack:

Yuck. That is not what I envision when I think about psych. I love my attending and my residents... I only have 1 more week w/ them which is sad. Never thought I'd like surgery, but working with them is fantastic. Which might be a bad thing... because now the bar is set high! But, and I told dd this, since board scores came out, all they talk about on downtime w/ me is what I want to end up doing. I'm like, the score came out, but I still have no clue! haha I wish it was that easy... one click of a mouse, see a score, (insert specialty here) it is! Anyway, hopefully this is your "low point", cpa, and your next teams get much better!

Found out on Thursday and Friday that board studying actually helped me... had someone on Thursday that said "I'm allergic to INH". When we left the room, my attending asked what INH was and what it was used for... but sadly, no vitamin B6 question (haha that'd be a little too UWorld). Friday I was w/ my junior resident and an intern and we were going through someone's meds list and the intern was going through the list and got to dofetilide and didn't know what it was. I told him and he was like lets look it up... oh, you were right. Love that he trusts me so much :rolleyes:

Got my schedule for family practice yesterday. I got the clinic that is close into town. I bribed the course coordinator. Some people have to drive 30-45 miles to their clinics. Let's hear it for small towns!

Wow. You got lucky! I can't say I'd be the happiest person driving that far. Do you start family med right after psych?

And glad you get to see your family today!

6 weeks to clinicals. We divided up into our groups and met with our hospital liaisons to get the low down. Four of us are going to my hospital. We're each assigned a tech, and rotate them every 3 weeks. Also rotate between room 1 (mobile unit, and surgery??), room 2/3 (fuoroscopy, and???), and the ED. I could'nt hear her very well:rolleyes:. After the first semester we can go out to the imaging center. Mandatory CT rotation.

Had our first person drop out. She has a BA in psych and decided to "follow her heart, instead of her brain" and get a teaching cert.

I'm super happy.

Lol, 'super happy' may be too strong of a word to describe how I felt about my score, but it wasn't terrible, and I passed so I'll take it ;)

I passed. No fireworks, but no tears. Thought about it, but figured it wouldn't do any good. ;)

Congrats guys. I'm sure knowing that beast is slain is a huge relief. I think after about two weeks of studying for that thing I would've started glancing longingly at a revolver. Props all around.

I'm nearly desperate to see my fam about now. They've been cruising the Pac NW. Right now they are hiking in Canyonlands NP in Utah. Apparently it is more stunning than they could've imagined. Hot as hell, but beautiful. They'll be home late Saturday. I'll go home this weekend, too.

Well, I guess the good thing about rotations is that they don't last that long:). Hang in there! Glad your family is back. Canyonlands would be awesome. I'd love to paraglide off a few of those badboys. Happy 21st BD!

Never thought I'd like surgery, but working with them is fantastic. But, and I told dd this, since board scores came out, all they talk about on downtime w/ me is what I want to end up doing.

Dude, if you pick surgery, you're gonna force me to fly up there and get my ass kicked. What's up next?

I like them. I mean, they obviously aren't going to take away all the hurt of standing for a 4+ hour surgery, but they are good. Truthfully, though, I was expecting a bit more out of them since one of my friends raves about them. I don't think I'd rave about them, but I like them. As for arch support, mine feel pretty supported... you have to break the shoe in for a bit and it somewhat molds to your foot. But if you go to a shoe place to get them, they usually know what they are talking about and can help you w/ it if you need something extra.

Thanks Docta Z. I went to the Walking Company to look around. Website says they carry Sanitas but I didn't see any for guys, so I tried on some Danskos and MBTs. My right foot actually liked the Danskos, but the cranky left one said nuh-uh. I can see them being pretty good at stemming normal fatigue for normal feet, but I don't see them helping my arthritis any. The MBT's were like walking on marshmallows haha, but I'm paying not $250 for them. A little too unstable too. So, I went with some Skecher Shape-ups that were on sale (basically cheap MBT knock-offs). Still need to add an arch support for more stability, but these do seem to take pressure off the joint. Hopefully they'll get me through the day come fall, otherwise Kudu's gonna be in a worlda'hurt. Foot science, by kudu.

Hi friends... it's been too long. Finished surgery Friday (shelf sucked!)... and I can actually say I think I'm going to miss surgery... uh oh.

Hi friends... it's been too long. Finished surgery Friday (shelf sucked!)... and I can actually say I think I'm going to miss surgery... uh oh.

Something tells me the list of specialties you'll be saying that about is going to be pretty long:p.

What rotations are ya'll on now???

Canyonlands would be awesome. I'd love to paraglide off a few of those badboys.

A week after I said this my paragliding association's magazine arrived with a shot of a guy cruising over the mesas of southern Utah on the cover...it's a sign haha.

Avg daily high so far in Aug for DFW has been 102.4. Tack on another 5 for the humidity index. Ugh...

Dad was diagnosed with Type 2 last week. Been after that man for years to take better care of himself, but you can't live someone's life for them :rolleyes:.

Finals are Thur. Start in-hospital training the 31st!

Good luck on the test kudu.

Peds shelf is on friday. I actually liked outpatient a whole lot. We got to do a whole lot more in the clinic than we did in house. Not sure who the test is going to go as it's my first shelf. :confused: Then we have a week off and the fun two months of surgery begins. Looking forward to the change, but not the lack of sleep!

Hello peeps. Started clinical training Tues. Pretty cool so far, though that might partly be due to getting ordered around all day by a petite, no-nonsense blond in uniform haha. Le purrrr;). The work is fast-paced, yet fairly stress free. Very little admin work thank God. One of the techs here just works 2 16 hr shifts on the weekend. I'd commit 1st degree murder for that schedule. Damn.

Apparently, after a year you can be hired PT while you finish your 2nd year. Helpful. Ankle hurts a little by the end of the shift, but its manageable.

Being in a hospital even this short while has made me appreciate my youth and health while I have it. If I have one more elderly patient tell me that the "golden years" are a crock of ****.......

Kudu, cpa... some familiar candy-coated faces in here. Just thought I'd say hello.

Kudu, cpa... some familiar candy-coated faces in here. Just thought I'd say hello.

Hey brother. Good to see that cyanotic caduceus thingie of yours. Guess you're probably a 3rd year resident by now?????;) You better have at least done the whole AFF thing. Hope everything is well.

Hey brother. Good to see that cyanotic caduceus thingie of yours. Guess you're probably a 3rd year resident by now?????;) You better have at least done the whole AFF thing. Hope everything is well.

Dude, I wish. I was just thinking about that today -- crystal-clear skies AND it's starting to cool off a little bit. I'm just gonna have to take a leave of absence from med school to go fling myself out of a Cessna repeatedly. Sounds like a perfectly reasonable plan.

Dude, I wish. I was just thinking about that today -- crystal-clear skies AND it's starting to cool off a little bit. I'm just gonna have to take a leave of absence from med school to go fling myself out of a Cessna repeatedly. Sounds like a perfectly reasonable plan.

Sounds like a perfectly stimulative use of federally loaned funds. I'd say it's damn near your civic duty at this point, sir.

what's up guys? what rotation is everyone on?

Currently on surgery and not a super big fan. Hours blow mostly. Looking forward to family medicine when it's over just to get some sleep! :)

what's up guys? what rotation is everyone on?

Currently on surgery and not a super big fan. Hours blow mostly. Looking forward to family medicine when it's over just to get some sleep! :)

I'm on elective... starting Medicine soon. Miss the OR! dd, how do you guys do your surgery clerkship? Are you on a general service, or do you do subspecialties too?