OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After learning from SDN that my flour tortillas were responsible for the downfall of my enchiladas years ago, I felt I was probably safe trying them again if I made the correction

Butternut squash + black beans
Verdict is: delicious
I'm so glad you tried again! I'm pretty sure I'm one of the ones who was going oh no girl, gotta be corn lol.

I made black bean + butternut squash tacos last night, actually:

xATSltR.jpg

Such a good combination. (and takis street corn, which is also freaking amazing).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody want a hello fresh free week?
I have three codes

Attachments

• 15687495332024360702993916941895.jpg
    15687495332024360702993916941895.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 71
Members don't see this ad :)
Since the concussion makes me not very ambitious about... anything at all... it was sandwiches. Toast, garlic (rub the clove on the toast before buttering it... kind of sands it down and leaves some in the toast), jalapeno havarti, fresh tomato from Mom's garden. Pretty good for no actual effort!

Since the concussion makes me not very ambitious about... anything at all... it was sandwiches. Toast, garlic (rub the clove on the toast before buttering it... kind of sands it down and leaves some in the toast), jalapeno havarti, fresh tomato from Mom's garden. Pretty good for no actual effort!
My friend made a sandwich out of Texas toast this week.

Also... your avatar... coffee ice cream is the best ice cream! We ordered Marble Slab a while back and I had coffee ice cream with Skor pieces, fresh raspberries, and chopped walnuts. Highly recommend!

This, but with more garlic, and parmesan instead of those other cheeses because that's what was in my fridge.

20191006_194041.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Trying this recipe with canned corn mixed in. Instead of water, I use the liquid from the canned corn. I'm excited because it looks so pretty and it's not even done yet.

ETA:
View attachment 282593
My family makes something similar! But we use both creamed corn and canned corn in the cornbread mix. 10/10
That looks super yummy though and I want some.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made this last week with lime cilantro rice and some extras in the guac

It sounds very yum!

Troubles with cooking under the influence of sleep deprivation:

I just looked in the fridge to find a box of dry pasta and was confused as to why the shelf organization in the pantry looked different. Stood there for about one whole minute.

Last edited:
In actual news of what I am cooking, last week I made a really tasty pasta dish using some pretty random ingredients:

- supergreens pasta
- blue curled kale
- pickled Chinese mustard greens in chili oil
- little bit of chicken broth
- little bit of heavy cream
- squeeze of lemon
- parmesan

The mustard greens are tangy and salty like capers, but also are spicy because of the chili. So it was kind of like a hot picata-style pasta bake.

(Sounds weird, I promise it was actually really good. Will try to take pics when I make it again soon.)

One of those nights I'm really glad I threw a few portions of mushroom chicken in the freezer two weeks ago instead of eating it all then!

That's probably one of the rare exceptions to "gross" Halloween cakes I would actually eat.

That is adorable!!! I might try and do another path potluck entry this year :whistle:

Reactions: 1 users
Here's my path bake-off entry from this year: rabbit hepatic coccidiosis!
hepatic_coccidiosis.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
I've been working my way through a pot of lentil, barley, sausage soup and a loaf of herb and garlic bread. Good combo! :)

20191224_134212.jpg

20191224_134206.jpg

Dark chocolate brownies and dark chocolate peanut butter cups! Sugar cookies coming tomorrow, plus roasted veggies and caramelized pecan green beans

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
20191225_132031.jpg
20191225_132029.jpg

Snapchat-588688114.jpg

More things! Roast vegetables, sugar cookies, caramelized pecan green beans :D

Edit: note veggies not roasted yet in this photo lol

Reactions: 1 users
I have access to a microwave but not a fridge at school. I have an insulated lunchbox and keep frozen water bottles in it to keep the food cold in there.

I would rather not get food poisoning...Do you think my leftover chicken and vegetables would stay safe in just the insulated lunchbox with two frozen waterbottles from 6:15-11 am?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have access to a microwave but not a fridge at school. I have an insulated lunchbox and keep frozen water bottles in it to keep the food cold in there.

I would rather not get food poisoning...Do you think my leftover chicken and vegetables would stay safe in just the insulated lunchbox from 6:15-11 am?
Is this with frozen water bottles? If yes, I think it should stay safe. If not and it’s just in the insulated lunchbox without something to keep cold, I don’t know personally if it would. I’ve definitely had pizza get slightly warmer with less cold packs in my bag than usual before.

Is this with frozen water bottles? If yes, I think it should stay safe. If not and it’s just in the insulated lunchbox without something to keep cold, I don’t know personally if it would. I’ve definitely had pizza get slightly warmer with less cold packs in my bag than usual before.

Yes, this is with two frozen waterbottles.

ETA: Just realized I didn't say thank you so I will do that now. Thanks, SkiOtter! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Headed back down for school with no clue what my plan was for dinner. Being gone for 2 weeks I'd obviously cleaned out my fridge before leaving and I knew I'd be getting in too late to reasonably shop and then cook if I wanted to keep my kinda important "take with food or it won't be absorbed" meds on schedule. Unloaded the car and discovered that the hubby snuck in a frozen pizza <3

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Pork chops in mushroom gravy in the crock pot. Smelled really good! Of course then I wound up having to take a dose of hydromorphone and wound up too nauseous to eat :( Hopefully better luck tonight....

• Sad
Pork chops in mushroom gravy in the crock pot. Smelled really good! Of course then I wound up having to take a dose of hydromorphone and wound up too nauseous to eat :( Hopefully better luck tonight....
I hate that medications mess so much with appetite!! Hope for you too that today is better !

I made some beef stroganoff yesterday and it was good but the meat was a little chewy. I feel like I’d make it again but I need to either use a better cut of beef or find a way to make it more tender. I don’t have patience for sous vide a lot of the time but perhaps it would work for this? Hmm.

I made some beef stroganoff yesterday and it was good but the meat was a little chewy. I feel like I’d make it again but I need to either use a better cut of beef or find a way to make it more tender. I don’t have patience for sous vide a lot of the time but perhaps it would work for this? Hmm.
@Stroganoff ??

• Haha
I hate that medications mess so much with appetite!! Hope for you too that today is better !
Thanks! I definitely have a love-hate relationship with some of my meds!

Slow cooker or sous vide, baby +/- tenderize the heck out of the meat. Make it tender and melt in the mouth like it should be. And definitely get a nicer cut of beef.

Also I haven't had stroganoff in many years btw. Will have to add it to my to-do!

This one calls for using ribeye:

This one calls for overnight marinating:

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Future me is going to be really grateful to past me for making 16 chops, especially since we're spending the next 2 solid weeks in the OR and I'll have no time to cook! Plus I made cheese and onion bread again and grabbed 3 bags of frozen veggies,,, 1 broccoli, 1 green beans, 1 Brussels sprouts... so I have provisions. There are times it's good to be a planner!

• Love