OT What are you cooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm afraid I cooked a pizza with my phone tonight. Tried a new place. Pizza didn't look like much, but that pepperoni actually has a pretty good kick to it!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
And tonight, for those who don’t like any of the spice in their life, we are also offering seasoned and seared, bacon wrapped asparagus!

A9F99D5E-6EE8-4388-933B-B4A03930AF98.jpeg473285EF-913D-4E4A-AA83-CDE812869407.jpegA5BE4F4A-5FF6-4FCA-9DF9-E75CAFFE604C.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
ok need some advice. tried roasting a mix of butternut squash, sweet potato, and brocolli stems in my air fryer. I used salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and olive oil. the veggies were nice and roasty, but "dry". any suggestions for a sauce? or should I have used more oil on them? or drizzled some after they were done?

ok need some advice. tried roasting a mix of butternut squash, sweet potato, and brocolli stems in my air fryer. I used salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and olive oil. the veggies were nice and roasty, but "dry". any suggestions for a sauce? or should I have used more oil on them? or drizzled some after they were done?
In my experience vegetables that dry out often need more olive oil on them, although I've never used an air fryer so not sure if that just happens more often with air frying

However, if you're looking for a good glaze recipe I like this one: Balsamic Roasted Vegetables Recipe - Budget Bytes

I am craving pomegranate eggplant. Was craving it a few weeks ago and it slipped my mind, then for some reason today I thought of it again and some of my classmates were like

what
what is this pomegranate molasses you speak of

I'd like to have an ethnic dinner party and eat all the food. There is a single ethnic grocery store nearby that I've never been to but hoping they carry it. Will check after exams are over.

One of our local Mediterranean restaurants has a small grocer attached that routinely stocks pomegranate molasses.

The helpful cashier made sure to tell me that it wasn't a soda/drink last time I went there and picked up some... :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
i have seen bobby flay use pomegranate molasses...lol what does it taste like?
If you've had pomegranate juice before, just concentrate and thicken that flavour. I've actually basically accidentally made it before while trying to candy pomegranate seeds, haha.

• Haha

What kind of oil did you use? A higher quality/concentrated oil may make a difference (I tend to use avacado oil) and can always try cooking them a little less time each try until you get them where the consistency is what you want.

I've only ever seen it one place, at a Central Market back home.
Oh man. Texas area? If so, I loooooved Central Market as a kid in Houston. I recently visited a friend still local and he put up with the hour drive from his place to go visit again. I literally stashed two olive loaves in my carry-on home. :laugh:

I cooked a large quantity of chips and guac last night. It's been a bitch of a last two weeks and when I'm stressed I stop eating. I have about -15 lbs to lose at the moment, so I needed something high-calorie that would actually tempt my appetite a bit. And hey... I actually did eat something!

Also @Trilt I'd love that stew recipe if you're willing to share. Those are things I love and it looks delicious!

I cooked a large quantity of chips and guac last night. It's been a bitch of a last two weeks and when I'm stressed I stop eating. I have about -15 lbs to lose at the moment, so I needed something high-calorie that would actually tempt my appetite a bit. And hey... I actually did eat something!

Also @Trilt I'd love that stew recipe if you're willing to share. Those are things I love and it looks delicious!
I think she included the link as a hyperlink of the words!

I think she included the link as a hyperlink of the words!
Ah... so she did! Thank you for pointing that out. Between me and the dog both trying to die last week I'm not running on much of anything but stubbornness right now....

Ah... so she did! Thank you for pointing that out. Between me and the dog both trying to die last week I'm not running on much of anything but stubbornness right now....
I only somewhat followed the recipe, too, but that's basically how I cook haha. I actually do really recommend some sort of contrast in it; it's kinda a one note recipe on it's own. I dumped a half container of chopped capers into mine, but olives or just some lemon on top would prob taste good too!

Thanks for the tip!

Team Olive!

• Love
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users
I found the pomegranate molasses and finally made my stew. Wasn't hungry last night so it is all going towards lunches this week. Had that with yogurt-saffron rice for lunch today and it was perfect. I dunno why I don't make this dish more often.

In this time of need I would like to share a creation of mine. Perfect time to make it because since we are all in online classes now, no one can judge your eating habits.

Step 1: press out canned or homemade pizza dough to your desired thickness
Step 2: place halved string cheese along the edges (or full string cheese if you so desire)

IMG_20200320_1908226.jpg

IMG_20200320_1929393.jpg

Step 3: Use crescent roll dough to cover the string cheese
Step 4: add desired toppings
Step 5: microwave a tablespoon of butter and a minced clove of garlic; brush or spread along the Crescent roll dough
IMG_20200320_1946471.jpg

Step 6: bake at 425 degrees until done

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
No photo, but grilled cheese with mushrooms and onions and two slices of jalapeno havarti.

I don’t know what I did because I didn’t use measurements but it was so delicious. Now I’ll never be able to recreate it... :smack:
Some sort of mushroom garlic parm cream sauce? This is after I killed most of it in like five seconds flat so not the best photo
C6171E82-C872-43F2-93BC-91A20FF717D6.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I don’t know what I did because I didn’t use measurements but it was so delicious. Now I’ll never be able to recreate it... :smack:
Some sort of mushroom garlic parm cream sauce? This is after I killed most of it in like five seconds flat so not the best photo View attachment 299345
Damn... I definitely would've asked for the recipe!

Damn... I definitely would've asked for the recipe!
I still don’t know what I did but maybe you can recreate it? I am a terrible cook so the fact this was so delicious is amazing me
Add butter to probably too small frying pan. Dump in container of mushrooms (rinsed but not perfectly dried). Add a knife full of diced garlic from a jar. Is it too much garlic? It drips from the knife and your roommate makes a face. No, there is no such thing. Add more. Have on medium high heat and then turn down to medium when it’s bubbling. Reduce. Reduce more. Did you reduce too much? Who knows. The mixture is starting to stick to the pan a lot. Add cream. Get courageous. Add more cream. Regret how much cream you added. Dump in some grated parm, like a baby’s fist size bit. Add salt and pepper. Oh geesh I didn’t mean to add that much pepper. Reduce. Hmm this looks edible. Eat. Be amazed. Optional: Cry and send a photo to your sister when you realize you’ll never be able to recreate it.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I still don’t know what I did but maybe you can recreate it? I am a terrible cook so the fact this was so delicious is amazing me
Add butter to probably too small frying pan. Dump in container of mushrooms (rinsed but not perfectly dried). Add a knife full of diced garlic from a jar. Is it too much garlic? It drips from the knife and your roommate makes a face. No, there is no such thing. Add more. Have on medium high heat and then turn down to medium when it’s bubbling. Reduce. Reduce more. Did you reduce too much? Who knows. The mixture is starting to stick to the pan a lot. Add cream. Get courageous. Add more cream. Regret how much cream you added. Dump in some grated parm, like a baby’s fist size bit. Add salt and pepper. Oh geesh I didn’t mean to add that much pepper. Reduce. Hmm this looks edible. Eat. Be amazed. Optional: Cry and send a photo to your sister when you realize you’ll never be able to recreate it.
You sound like you've joined the vmh and @Trilt school of cooking. Rule #1 is you forget to measure everything and you substitute half of the recipe, assuming there ever was a recipe

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users