*Ortho interviews 2007*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone hear from them yet? any feedback on their experience with the residents or faculty?

Members don't see this ad.

Received invite via email today for Nov 7 or 8. Good luck! Anyone hear from Washington Hospital Center?

After you get intetviews do any of you hear back from them before match day...ie does the director ever call you back to ask you how interested you are in the program? Or is that just a rumor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, WHC called a couple of weeks ago, interviews are Nov. 2nd and 3rd.

Does anyone have an opinion about UCSF vs Harvard programs?

Did any of you encounter technical/theoretical questions in any interview?

Yes, but that was the exception and not the rule.

Has anyone started a preliminary rank list yet on the match site?

I've done and certified mine, but it can still be changed even after you certify it. Its actually pretty straight forward and an easy process.

Can schools match an applicant by their name, if they dont have their match #? Because I dont remember giving my match # to some schools that I interviewed at.

Can schools match an applicant by their name, if they dont have their match #? Because I dont remember giving my match # to some schools that I interviewed at.
Your PASS application has your match # if you signed up for the match early enough and put it on the application.

yea but what about non-pass schools?

To be on the safe side, just email the program's assistant/coordinator your Match # on those non-pass schools. That's what I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I am probably being silly for holding on to hope, but has anyone out there gotten an interview lately due to someone else cancelling or anything like that?

I got an Interview from Pitt last Tuesday for today. They gave out initial invitations a while ago so I am guessing somebody canceled so they moved down the list, so I am sure some other schools probably are doing the same thing. Good luck

10 days to rank order list deadline.
22 days to match day.

How's everyone feeling?

has anybody heard from BU? I called last week and they said they had not given out interviews yet. I know they are not on the MATCH system, but just wondering if anyone heard anything. thanks

DOes anyone want to start to rank order their list for everyone to see?

1. UAB
2. MCG
3. Indiana
4. San Antonio

Can someone tell me about Montefiore's policy with regard to whether you need to pay extra money if you opt to do the master's degree? I did not remember what was said about that at my interview. Thanks much. new here

No, you do not pay an additional fee if you decide to pursue the MS program.

Thanks Dr. Sanchez. So I gathered from my interview that if you go to Montefiore and opt to do the Masters program you would have to do it through the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, but I forgot to ask if you are responsible for the tuition involved in the extra classes that you would be taking like biostatistics etc. Thanks for clearing that up. Two other people [applicants] from my interview did not know the answer. I loved that school, and can't find anything bad to say about it.

http://dailybruin.com/news/2007/nov/...ce-admissions/

You guys.. check this out.. I was at UCLA's interview this year..
No wonder I didn't get in... Dxxx it.. My dad's not rich enough..
kidding.. but.. pretty crazy stuff..

Thanks for the article. That link wasn't working, and this one may be better (http://dailybruin.com/archives/id/42619/). This is no surprise, and I'm sure it happens at many programs in the country. However, it's great to have the issue exposed.

Holly cow. This is horrible. Please dont tell me this happens all the time. so scary and dirty at the same time.

UCLA will still get the $ as they took away a US trained spot this year and now have 2 of the 6 spots reserved for international students who pay tuition. Isn't that wonderful for a state sponsored university?

There is a serious amount of corruption in the orthodontic and academic dental world. No more so than corporate america, probably but the academic institution is supposed to be a place of learning, not money grubbing. As money becomes more scarce for dental schools you will see more and more of this type thing happening.

Am I the only one worried about matching and ranking schools for match??

No, you're not. I AGONIZED over how I was going to organize my rank order list. Couldn't decide where I really wanted to be.

I'm worried about matching. I didn't get as many interviews as I had hoped so my ROL was easy. Now I'm just praying that a school wants me.

I'm surprised by the candid article. Not only is this scary, but extremely embarrasing for those people named by The Daily Bruin.

Holly cow. This is horrible. Please dont tell me this happens all the time. so scary and dirty at the same time.

I am also concerned about matching. It seems that every program has something to offer yet no one is perfect. Now all one can do is praying hard that one matches on Nov 28.

I'm also praying about this match thing. Has anyone heard from a program director? I heard from an applicant last year that a couple of the program directors contacted them right before the match to say "we really liked you." Has that happened to anyone yet?

i'd be wary of a call like that. a director from a program last year called a friend of mine and told him he was on their top 8 (the program had 8 spots). my friend ranked this program #1, and did not get in there.

I'm also praying about this match thing. Has anyone heard from a program director? I heard from an applicant last year that a couple of the program directors contacted them right before the match to say "we really liked you." Has that happened to anyone yet?

Is this just preying on people who don't understand the match at all, and that it favors applicants? I'm surprised by how some people perceive it - many people at my school seem to think "matching" means that you happened to rank a school exactly the same as you; i.e., you ranked them 2nd and they ranked you 2nd, or you ranked them 8th and they ranked you 8th.

I do believe match rank lists have to be in today, so............................. Good luck to everyone!

This is a long and arduous process and it is probably even more competitive than you realize. You may not match your first choice, although most do. However, realize that even if you don't get your ideal residency that you are entering a great profession and you will enjoy your training nonetheless.

With 10 more days to go for Match results, I cannot stop wondering 'what if I do not match!' Can anyone explain the post-match process? Should we wait until the Phase II results come out for available post-match positions. Can we contact any program that has an open position or only the ones that we we applied/interviewed but not matched? Thanks.

just curious...anyone here getting interviews with sub- 90 scores?

Hey Everyone, there is a group called "Orthodontic Interviewees of 2007" on Facebook that was started by some Harvard dental students. There are currently about 15 or so members and would be nice if more of you could join so that we can keep in touch with all of the familiar faces from our interviews. So please join the group

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck Wednesday morning!