*Ortho interviews 2007*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoFever

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we do a thread like the one last year when everyone posted interview dates as soon as they were told so that we don't all sit around on pins and needles waiting?
got this from the confirmation email.

Louisville Oct 22, 23 (offer interview a/f Oct 1)
VCU Nov 8, 9 (offer interview via mail late Sept)

Members don't see this ad.

Houston is interviewing Nov. 1&2nd. Don't know about offer dates yet.

UF is interviewing Nov. 5th and 6th.
Alabama is interviewing Oct. 17th, 18th, 19th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Typically programs do not let you know if they aren't going to interview you. Too many applicants and not a lot of free time. So if you don't hear, oh well.

To make it concise for everyone (assuming these school that y'all mentioned have already extended invitations) just copy this post and add additional schools below as interview inviations go out...

Alabama Oct 17, 18, 19
Louisville Oct 22, 23
Houston Nov 1, 2
Florida Nov 5,6
VCU Nov 8, 9

For those posting interview dates...please also make us aware whether or not you actually recieved an interview from the school, or if you just know what the interview dates will be. This would be much more informative, and it would let those know who have applied to those schools that interview invites are already going out.

Interview dates: Nov 2 or 9th
Invitation by phone.

I also got a call from them. There is a social the night before at 5.

I thought it was interesting that they have invited for interviews yet their deadline for applications is more than a month away - Oct. 1st.

Lesson: Apply early.

I also received an interview intivation and thought it odd to be so early.

Colorado: interview oct 11 and 12
Pacific: interview October 23 will most likely notify after Oct 8
Washington: interview Oct 22

Information obtained by calling and asking administrative assistant at ortho programs.

Updating the list, and adding Iowa (notified via email):

Alabama Oct 17, 18, 19
Louisville Oct 22, 23
Houston Nov 1, 2
Florida Nov 5,6
VCU Nov 8, 9
Colorado: interview oct 11 and 12
Pacific: interview October 23 will most likely notify after Oct 8
Washington: interview Oct 22
Iowa: Sept 20-21 or Oct 18-19

I don't know if anybody else is confused by the postings of interview dates, but...
Are Iowa and Oklahoma the only programs to have offered invitations as of yet? Please respond if you can shed some light.

I don't know if anybody else is confused by the postings of interview dates, but...
Are Iowa and Oklahoma the only programs to have offered invitations as of yet? Please respond if you can shed some light.

I agree, I think it would make the most sense to compile a list of schools that have actually offered interviews, along with the accompanying dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck to all who have interviews for ortho

I believe you are correct. I'm updating the list to reflect that. If I made any errors, feel free to re-post with corrections.

*Alabama Oct 17, 18, 19
*Louisville Oct 22, 23
*Houston Nov 1, 2
*Florida Nov 5,6
*VCU Nov 8, 9
*Colorado: interview oct 11 and 12
*Pacific: interview October 23 will most likely notify after Oct 8
*Washington: interview Oct 22
Iowa: Sept 20-21 or Oct 18-19 (notified by email 8/31)
Oklahoma: Nov 2 or Nov 9 (notified by phone 8/27)

* = Interview dates known, but invitations not yet offered.

I have only heard of Iowa and Oklahoma sending invitations for interviews. Please forward any other info if anybody else knows.

All the secretaries and healthcare workers at Minnesota are on strike (f-ing unions) so don't expect to hear from us for a little while. Just thought I would let you know. Good luck everyone!

I'm getting really nervous. Haven't gotten any invites yet.:mad:
Has anyone heard from Loma Linda yet? From what my buddies taht applied last year told me I thought LL was not in the match and so had to do interviews earlier. . . Anyone know if they are still not in the match?

Thanks for the quick reply.

FYI. Last year, most schools didn't start offering invites until the last week of September. Check out the 2006 Ortho interview thread for your schools.

In other words, chill, right?!! you are right. I (we) need to chill, no matter how anxious we are.

Are you a dental student? When I talked to Loma, they told me that starting this year, they are requiring previous experience (GPR, private practice, etc) to apply.

I'm getting really nervous. Haven't gotten any invites yet.:mad:
Has anyone heard from Loma Linda yet? From what my buddies taht applied last year told me I thought LL was not in the match and so had to do interviews earlier. . . Anyone know if they are still not in the match?

What the. . . ? This is the first I am hearing of this. I guess that was a waste of time and money!

What the. . . ? This is the first I am hearing of this. I guess that was a waste of time and money!

It's true. Loma Linda now requires at least one year following graduation before one applies.

Hi guys,
I am a graduatin from UIC with 86 on part 1 and class rank of 37 percentile... I really want to get into ortho I do have a couple of publications and other activities under my belt....I have applied early this year for ortho programs but havent heard.....
Do you all think that doing a GPR and applying again will improve my chances?

Thanks
Chris

Chris, I haven't heard either (and neither have my classmates who are applying, except for one) so don't give up yet. But if you don't get any interviews AT ALL by the time they are offered, then yes, a GPR probably would help. That's my plan anyway if I don't get in this year.

have you thought about retaking Part I?

Hi guys,
I am a graduatin from UIC with 86 on part 1 and class rank of 37 percentile... I really want to get into ortho I do have a couple of publications and other activities under my belt....I have applied early this year for ortho programs but havent heard.....
Do you all think that doing a GPR and applying again will improve my chances?

Thanks
Chris

For those who've already been through the interview process: What did you do if you accepted an interview from one school on a certain date but were subsequently offered an interview on the same date at a "better" (for you) school? I realize I'm being overly-optimistic even thinking about this question, but any advice would be much appreciated--if only for theory's sake. :)

For those who've already been through the interview process: What did you do if you accepted an interview from one school on a certain date but were subsequently offered an interview on the same date at a "better" (for you) school? I realize I'm being overly-optimistic even thinking about this question, but any advice would be much appreciated--if only for theory's sake. :)

There are a few things you could do.
1) You could call both programs and find out if they have other interview dates and ask to be put on one of those dates. If they don't want to budge, then beg and ask to be put on a wait list or something.
2) You could just pick the interview for whichever school you want to attend more.
3) A third option in this scenario would be to call up each school and find out how many spots there are and how many candidates have been invited to interview. If possible, it would be good to also find out (through the grapevine most likely) if the spots usually go to in-house candidates from the home dental school. So if school A has 5 spots and only 12 candidates invited and almost never takes students from the home dental school, whereas school B (the "better" school) has 5 spots with 40 candidates invited and it appears that each year 4/5 spots go to graduates of that dental school, well then I'd pick school A to go and interview with to try and better my chances of matching.

UIC emailed today.

Interviews are oct 4 or oct 5 with dinner/ meet the residents the night before.

Hi everyone,

I just got an invitation for an interview at UIC for either Oct. 18th or 19th. Good luck!

UCLA just called. Interview on October 24 with a reception the night before :)

Updating the list...

*Alabama Oct 17, 18, 19
*Louisville Oct 22, 23
*Houston Nov 1, 2
*Florida Nov 5,6
*VCU Nov 8, 9
UIC: Oct 4, 5, 18, or 19 (notified by email 9/12)
UCLA: Oct 24 (notified by phone 9/12)

Does anyone know how many interviews UIC gives?

Latest update:

*Alabama Oct 17, 18, 19
*Louisville Oct 22, 23
*Houston Nov 1, 2
*Florida Nov 5,6
*MCG Oct 29
*VCU Nov 8, 9
*UNC Nov 5, 6
*MUSC Oct 12, 19

* = Interview dates known, but invitations not yet offered.[/quote]

Harvard has their interview on Oct. 30th and 31st. I don't think they have sent out any invites yet...

AbuAbuAbu, did you get an invite to AZ? if so did they call/Email/mail?

Thanks

San Antonio interviews will be November 5 and November 6. They will be notifying people at the end of September/very early October. Good luck to all you guys applying this year.

Adding the latest to the list...

*Alabama Oct 17, 18, 19
*Louisville Oct 22, 23
*Houston Nov 1, 2
*Florida Nov 5,6
*MCG Oct 29
*VCU Nov 8, 9
*UNC Nov 5, 6
*MUSC Oct 12, 19
*San Antonio: Nov 5, 6 (offers will be given late Sept)
*Harvard: Oct 30,31
Arizona: Oct 1 (notified by email 9/14)

invitation by email. Social the night before on the 30th, interview on October 1st.

AbuAbuAbu, did you get an invite to AZ? if so did they call/Email/mail?

Thanks

Thanks Abu.

Good luck

I too recieved email notification 9/12 and 9/14 for UIC Oct 18 or 19 and ATSU for Oct 1 respectively. If anybody is interested in splitting a hotel room on these dates let me know.

Vanderbilt just called...interview date is October 12th

Villanova today by singing telegram. Interview Oct 13th

Oct. 1st or 8th. Social the night before. Contact by phone.

Alabama called this morning--interviews Oct. 17, 18, 19 with social on the evening of the 18th.

Congrats everyone. Updating the list...

*Louisville Oct 22, 23
*Houston Nov 1, 2
*Florida Nov 5,6
*MCG Oct 29
*VCU Nov 8, 9
*UNC Nov 5, 6
*MUSC Oct 12, 19
*San Antonio: Nov 5, 6 (offers will be given late Sept)
*Harvard: Oct 30,31
Arizona: Oct 1 (notified by email 9/14)
Alabama: Oct 17,18,19 (phone 9/18)
Nova: Oct 1 or 8 (phone 9/18)
Vanderbilt: Oct 12 (phone 9/17)

correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is an ortho program at Villanova??? I think diagrastric is being silly.