*Ortho interviews 2007*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this your 1st year applying to ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts has 2 days of interviews with 25 apps each day...for 8 spots.

Interviewed at Columbia....it was really layed back and they were very welcoming. Definately an interview where you can just relax and really be yourself. If anyone needs anymore info you can PM me.

Anybody know about UCONN, PITT, or TUFTS style? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hi !
how does the Match works? can someone explain me???????????????????????:confused:

UNC today by phone. Interviews 11/5 or 11/6 with social event evening before.

University of Florida, Nov.5th or 6th, by phone call. I was so excited I didn't pay much attention, but I believe there will be a dinner the night before both days.

Yes, dinner the night before at both

Maimonides by snail mail today, interview date: November 6

Anyone heard from/about University of Detroit or Howard?

Members don't see this ad :)
waiting onL
Howard
Detroit Mercy
Boston U
Nevada-LV
Jacksonville
and Puerto Rico

anyone heard anything?
last year PR didnt invite till day of/after match

Has anyone heard of UNC interviewing NC residents on a different day? Do they really accept only NC residents? Any word on what the interview format is like?

match is actually quite confusing. But the way it works favors the students. Say if you got interviewed at 3 programs A, B, and C. And if you submit your rank as A, B, and C also. Then the match service will look at school A first to see if you can match the the first program, if not, then it will continue to look at school B, and then School C. On the other hand, each school will rank the applicants interviewed. Say School A has four seats and ranked 15 applicants, and you are number 6 of their list. Then the top four applicants on its list basically is guarranteed into its program unless some of the top four applicants got into other program. Then the number 5 will be the next highest and so on. So if you are number 6 and wants to get into school A, then two of applicants listed before you must got into some other programs first then you will get into school A. If it didn't happen, then the match will look into school B and repeat the same process. So you should never rank the programs just because you think you interviewed well at certain programs. You should just rank the program you really want to go first and so on.....Say if some one is on number 1 position of school A's list but he or she went to 10 interviews and rank school A number 10. This person is still guarranteed a seat at school A even if he or she did not match to the first 9 schools because School A rank this person first, and really wants this person. I don't know if this clarify how it works....but good luck

Has anyone heard of UNC interviewing NC residents on a different day? Do they really accept only NC residents? Any word on what the interview format is like?

I can answer that they do not only accept NC residents. That's ridiculous. They will often accept 2, maybe 3 from UNC. But I don't think it is because they are fast tracking these guys. The ones from UNC who stay at UNC also had interviews at 10 other top programs and could pretty much choose where to go.

Maimonides by snail mail today, interview date: November 6

All That Jazz,

You've received interviews from some great schools. Congratulations! Would you mind passing on your stats (Experience, board scores, rank, etc).

Thanks

Has anyone heard from Jacksonville?

No, they offer 2 days of interviews (you pick one). Their secretary told me that they try to have an even distribution of UNC dental grads/students for each day. Their first year resident class has 3/6 from NC, so, no, they do not accept only NC residents. The interview format involves one-on-one interviews with various faculty members, lunch, and hanging out in the clinic. Hope this helps! Are you interviewing at UNC? If so, see you then. :)

I really have no answer to your question, but isn't that sort of tendency quite standard for a public school (to have innate preference for instate applicants) ?

No, they offer 2 days of interviews (you pick one). Their secretary told me that they try to have an even distribution of UNC dental grads/students for each day. Their first year resident class has 3/6 from NC, so, no, they do not accept only NC residents. The interview format involves one-on-one interviews with various faculty members, lunch, and hanging out in the clinic. Hope this helps! Are you interviewing at UNC? If so, see you then. :)

This above statement pretty much sums it up. Also, there is a meet and greet thing the night before with the residents so you can stop in and say "hi" and get a chance to know us on a less formal basis.

I look forward to meeting those of you who are interviewing here :)

Gary

How was the interview at Montefiore for those who went?

Hi !

Does girls use suits for social nights (Like the night before the interview?)?;)

by email Nov 6th or 9th, social the night before. I guess they are still giving out interviews or most likely somebody canceled!

Did anyone hear from medical college of georgia

guys what do u all think about UNLV. Will u go if you get in and thats the only school where u got selected.

Please honest opinion

I know Georgia has given out interviews but I don't know the dates or how they were contacted.

guys what do u all think about UNLV. Will u go if you get in and thats the only school where u got selected.

Please honest opinion

I have to say that honestly I wouldn't go, because if they lose their accreditation now or while you are in the program, you will not graduate from an accredited school (at least this is what the chair at my school said, don't know if it is really true), and now you have spent two years of your life and a $&!# load of money for nothing. If I don't get in I will do a GPR or just practice and apply again.

Hi !

Does girls use suits for social nights (Like the night before the interview?)?;)

No. Suits are for the interviews. Wear something nice. I thought a nice blouse or sweat or a jacket depend on weather, a pair of tailored pants or a skirt will work well. Just wear the clothes you are used to and look good in. I think that programs want to see you being yourself.

I have to say that honestly I wouldn't go, because if they lose their accreditation now or while you are in the program, you will not graduate from an accredited school (at least this is what the chair at my school said, don't know if it is really true), and now you have spent two years of your life and a $&!# load of money for nothing. If I don't get in I will do a GPR or just practice and apply again.
If they got their accreditation renewed in Feb 2008 than I believe that any of the residents who start in 2008 will graduate from an accredited program, however, if their accreditation is denied in Feb I would say that they probably won't have any 1st year residents. It would be a gamble to accept a position at a program that could lose accreditation before you start the program. If they lose accreditation I suspect all bets are off and people who accepted positions could easily back out before the start date without any problems.

No. Suits are for the interviews. Wear something nice. I thought a nice blouse or sweat or a jacket depend on weather, a pair of tailored pants or a skirt will work well. Just wear the clothes you are used to and look good in. I think that programs want to see you being yourself.

What if the social is after the interview? is it ok to go in the suit you wore for the interview or do you need to change into something more casual?
thanks!

What if the social is after the interview? is it ok to go in the suit you wore for the interview or do you need to change into something more casual?
thanks!

I think it would be fine to go in the suit if you didn't have time to change. I would not worry too much about it. You might choose to carry a sweater or a scarf (just something that you can add and will appear a little different and casual). They really want to get to know you as a person and not so much about what clothes you have on. Of course, clothes do help.

I have conflicting interview schedule for Tufts and Univ Oaklahoma.
Which do you think I should go to? Is one more competitive than the other? I know Tufts accepts 8 and Oaklahoma accepts 4. What do you guys think? I'd probably pick the one with the greatest chance of getting in.
Thanks

Which do you think I should go to? Is one more competitive than the other? I know Tufts accepts 8 and Oaklahoma accepts 4. What do you guys think? I'd probably pick the one with the greatest chance of getting in.
Thanks

I believe that the less number of spots for each program, the less number of interviews they give. More number of spots, more interviews offered !
So its the same you dont have a better chance on a bigger program, its the same !

Thanks

I think you should go to the interview at the school that you know how to spell. It is OKlahoma not OAKlahoma!

Has anyone heard from Howard?

Thanks

I know Tufts has 2 days that they are interviewing students - have you considered contacting the program and seeing if you could switch dates (make sure you attend the social - the residents are often asked their opinion of candidates)? As a side note Tufts will probably be naming a new program director soon - just hired Harvard's former program director.

If they got their accreditation renewed in Feb 2008 than I believe that any of the residents who start in 2008 will graduate from an accredited program, however, if their accreditation is denied in Feb I would say that they probably won't have any 1st year residents. It would be a gamble to accept a position at a program that could lose accreditation before you start the program. If they lose accreditation I suspect all bets are off and people who accepted positions could easily back out before the start date without any problems.

It's true but UNLV is not a MATCH program. So unless they accept students post-MATCH I can't imagine anyone dropping the MATCH to sign up for UNLV's program i.e. it would be a worthy gamble to accept a position at UNLV only if you weren't accepted to any other program.

It's true but UNLV is not a MATCH program. So unless they accept students post-MATCH I can't imagine anyone dropping the MATCH to sign up for UNLV's program i.e. it would be a worthy gamble to accept a position at UNLV only if you weren't accepted to any other program.
you're right. You would have to be pretty desperate to take the gamble.
It looks like it's a non-issue for everyone now.

Hi !

i didn't, and the other female interviewee with me didnt. dress slacks and a nice sweater should do.

you're right. You would have to be pretty desperate to take the gamble.
It looks like it's a non-issue for everyone now.

Wow. . . The saga that is UNLV continues. I wonder what is really going on there. Has anyone heard the inside scoop at all?

It's like a freakin' soap opera!!

Wow. . . The saga that is UNLV continues. I wonder what is really going on there. Has anyone heard the inside scoop at all?

It's like a freakin' soap opera!!

I don't have a clue what's going on at UNLV. If they don't take any residents this year than in 2009 the new residents will be basically in a new program. I would think it would be with only a handful of residents. They have to do whatever it takes to get accredited. My opinion is that they need to follow the guidelines that will put their graduates at or above the level of other programs. That means that they need to try to have ALL their graduates become board certified after graduation. This is why they need a 30-32 month program.

When did Tufts and Detroit Mercy announce interviews?

Any word on Boston Univ or Jacksonville?

Invite via snail mail yesterday----Interviews Nov. 5th, no reception---just interviews 7:30am-6pm. Best wishes to everyone--it's pretty stressful as we approach the end of the road! :luck:

Remember to get the handshake with Proffit correct......Like father like son:thumbup:
"He was a Rotarian, Shriner and Mason, having served as Master of the Masonic Lodge of Lillington, Dunn, and Chapel Hill..."

Deceased Honoree Chosen by the Friends of Harnett County Library for the Extension Homemakers Historical Quilt, 1989

Glenn Theodore Proffit, Educator

August 30, 1901 -May 12, 1967

One of North Carolina's leading educators, Glenn Theodore Proffit, in 1951, became Superintendent of the Harnett County Schools. He succeeded C. Reid Ross, who had accepted a position in Fayetteville, North Carolina as Superintendent of the Fayetteville City Schools. Mr. Proffit served the county until September 1966, when he was forced to retire due to ill health.

It was during his tenure of 15 years that Harnett's School System went through some of its toughest years, years of adjusting to desegregation. Gradually, Harnett conformed to the decision of the U.S. Supreme Court Act of May 17, 1954 when it was declared that segregated schools were unconstitutional.

From 1944 to 1946, Mr. Proffit was Acting Superintendent of Harnett Schools while Superintendent Ross was serving in the U.S. Navy. Before Mr. Proffit's return to Harnett in 1951, he was Superintendent of Orange County Schools for five years, 1946-1950.

He served most faithfully for 41 years as a classroom teacher, principal, and superintendent. For 14 years he was a principal, and for 22 years he was a superintendent.

Mr. Proffit, a quiet, orderly, and business like individual, was a native of Darby in Wilkes County, North Carolina, and the son of Martha McNeill and Robert Lee Proffit. He attended Wake Forest College and later entered the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he graduated with the class of 1926 with an AB degree. He received his Masters Degree at UNC in 1933.

He served as a teacher of Pembroke College, North Wilkesboro High School and was a principal of Clinton High School from 1930- 1934. From 1934-1941 he served as principal of LaFayette Union School and was principal of Dunn High School from 1941-1944.

Mr. Proffit held many offices in the educational field: president of the local unit of the NCEA and Educo Club, state president of the Division of Superintendents and State Director of the NCEA for a three-year term. He was an active member of the Buies Creek Baptist church where he taught Men's Sunday School class for a number of years. He was a Rotarian, Shriner and Mason, having served as Master of the Masonic Lodge of Lillington, Dunn, and Chapel Hill.

In 1961, Mr. Proffit was accorded the honor of being chosen as one of the school administrators in North Carolina to participate in a project to the Soviet Union for the purpose of becoming better acquainted with the educational system of that country.

Mr. Proffit married the former Edna Queener (b. February 22, 1905) of Knoxville, Tenn., the daughter of William Luther and Burnetta Wood Queener.

At the time of Mr. Proffit's death, May 12, 1967, at his home in Buies Creek, N.C., Mrs. Proffit was teaching chemistry at Campbell College. She had previously taught chemistry and biological science at Pembroke College for 3 years, and at Dunn.

After her husband's death, she left her home in Buies Creek and went to Wilke's County to teach in Wilkes County Community College, from 1968 to 1975. Their one son, Dr. William Robert Proffit, at the time of his father's death, was head of the Orthodontic Dept. of the School of Dentistry, at the University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY. At the time of his mother's death, July 29,1989, at age 84, Dr. Proffit had left the University of Kentucky and was now Professor at UNC School of Dentistry at Chapel Hill. Mrs. Proffit returned to her former home in Buies Creek in 1975 and continued to live there until her death. Her survivors were: her son, Dr. W.R. Proffit, 3 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.

Following his funeral at First Baptist Church in Buies Creek, Glenn Proffit was buried in his childhood surroundings in Wilke's County with Masonic rites at Mt. Pleasant Baptist church, Rt. 1, Wilkesboro, NC. His wife, in 1989, was also interred in the same setting, following her funeral at First Baptist church.

Surviving at the time of Glenn Proffit's death were: his wife Edna, his son, Dr. William Robert Proffit, 3 grandchildren: Lola Ann Proffit, Edward Thomas Proffit, Glenn Theodore Proffit II, a sister, Mrs. Lola Proffit Davis of Lumberton; four brothers: Cline Proffit, Alexandria, VA; Hight Proffit, Evanston, WY.; O. Mack Proffit, North Wilkesboro, Charles W. Proffit, Boomer, NC.

written by Evelyn Byrd, Quilt Coordinator, March 1995 Sources: Harnett County News, May 18, 1967, Lillington, NC Daily Record, July 29, 1989, Dunn, NC

Deceased Honoree Chosen by the Friends of Harnett County Library for the Extension Homemakers Historical Quilt, 1989

Glenn Theodore Proffit, Educator

August 30, 1901 -May 12, 1967

One of North Carolina's leading educators, Glenn Theodore Proffit, in 1951, became Superintendent of the Harnett County Schools. He succeeded C. Reid Ross, who had accepted a position in Fayetteville, North Carolina as Superintendent of the Fayetteville City Schools. Mr. Proffit served the county until September 1966, when he was forced to retire due to ill health.

It was during his tenure of 15 years that Harnett's School System went through some of its toughest years, years of adjusting to desegregation. Gradually, Harnett conformed to the decision of the U.S. Supreme Court Act of May 17, 1954 when it was declared that segregated schools were unconstitutional.

From 1944 to 1946, Mr. Proffit was Acting Superintendent of Harnett Schools while Superintendent Ross was serving in the U.S. Navy. Before Mr. Proffit's return to Harnett in 1951, he was Superintendent of Orange County Schools for five years, 1946-1950.

He served most faithfully for 41 years as a classroom teacher, principal, and superintendent. For 14 years he was a principal, and for 22 years he was a superintendent.

Mr. Proffit, a quiet, orderly, and business like individual, was a native of Darby in Wilkes County, North Carolina, and the son of Martha McNeill and Robert Lee Proffit. He attended Wake Forest College and later entered the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he graduated with the class of 1926 with an AB degree. He received his Masters Degree at UNC in 1933.

He served as a teacher of Pembroke College, North Wilkesboro High School and was a principal of Clinton High School from 1930- 1934. From 1934-1941 he served as principal of LaFayette Union School and was principal of Dunn High School from 1941-1944.

Mr. Proffit held many offices in the educational field: president of the local unit of the NCEA and Educo Club, state president of the Division of Superintendents and State Director of the NCEA for a three-year term. He was an active member of the Buies Creek Baptist church where he taught Men's Sunday School class for a number of years. :)He was a Rotarian, Shriner and Mason, having served as Master of the Masonic Lodge of Lillington, Dunn, and Chapel Hill. :D

In 1961, Mr. Proffit was accorded the honor of being chosen as one of the school administrators in North Carolina to participate in a project to the Soviet Union for the purpose of becoming better acquainted with the educational system of that country.

Mr. Proffit married the former Edna Queener (b. February 22, 1905) of Knoxville, Tenn., the daughter of William Luther and Burnetta Wood Queener.

At the time of Mr. Proffit's death, May 12, 1967, at his home in Buies Creek, N.C., Mrs. Proffit was teaching chemistry at Campbell College. She had previously taught chemistry and biological science at Pembroke College for 3 years, and at Dunn.

After her husband's death, she left her home in Buies Creek and went to Wilke's County to teach in Wilkes County Community College, from 1968 to 1975. Their one son, Dr. William Robert Proffit, at the time of his father's death, was head of the Orthodontic Dept. of the School of Dentistry, at the University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY. At the time of his mother's death, July 29,1989, at age 84, Dr. Proffit had left the University of Kentucky and was now Professor at UNC School of Dentistry at Chapel Hill. Mrs. Proffit returned to her former home in Buies Creek in 1975 and continued to live there until her death. Her survivors were: her son, Dr. W.R. Proffit, 3 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.

Following his funeral at First Baptist Church in Buies Creek, Glenn Proffit was buried in his childhood surroundings in Wilke's County with Masonic rites at Mt. Pleasant Baptist church, Rt. 1, Wilkesboro, NC. His wife, in 1989, was also interred in the same setting, following her funeral at First Baptist church.

Surviving at the time of Glenn Proffit's death were: his wife Edna, his son, Dr. William Robert Proffit, 3 grandchildren: Lola Ann Proffit, Edward Thomas Proffit, Glenn Theodore Proffit II, a sister, Mrs. Lola Proffit Davis of Lumberton; four brothers: Cline Proffit, Alexandria, VA; Hight Proffit, Evanston, WY.; O. Mack Proffit, North Wilkesboro, Charles W. Proffit, Boomer, NC.

written by Evelyn Byrd, Quilt Coordinator, March 1995 Sources: Harnett County News, May 18, 1967, Lillington, NC Daily Record, July 29, 1989, Dunn, NC

Thanks

I think you should also find out how many seats in each program are reserved for its own dental school graduates. So that you know the "true" number of seats you are competing for. I onced heard a long time ago that Tufts usually accept 4 of its own graduate into ortho program, so if you are not Tufts, you might be only competing for the 4 seats left over. So do some research^_^

Does any one know when did BU interviewed last year.

Any idea when they will interview this year.