Ortho 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Those with interview offers at UPenn, did you get a confirmation email after requesting a date? I emailed her back to request a date, but never got any confirmation, and was wondering if I need to call in to confirm. Thanks!

I did get the confirmation email after I emailed my preferred date. I assume there's no social and the day just starts with the seminar and rotate through all the interviews, and that's it. Nothing said about meeting faculty/residents for lunch~

Members don't see this ad.

I know its late but anybody still getting interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question regarding Post Match. Is it common for an applicant to post match at a program they didn't apply or a program where they applied but was not offered an interview? How quickly do the post-match spots fill up? What is the process of post-matching exactly (contacting directors, etc)? Sorry for bringing up a concern that has yet to materialize for the majority of us. :scared:

Post Match RARELY happens in ortho. Last year there was 3 spots and all of them were filled within SECONDS. It doesn't matter if you got an interview or even applied to the program. Usually you call the program director and you send them your stuff. They let you know ASAP if you got the position. It really depends on the program, but as I said for Ortho there is RARELY any spots... It usually works for GPR and AEGD programs though... Hope this helps!

S2003:

The interviewes are in general very chill! They always ask just the most common questions: Tell me about yourself... Why ortho? Why here? Why should we choose you over another applicant? One important thing is that if you are interviewing at a place that is not your hometown, it is better if you mention any links you have to that city ( ex. Friends, family members, etc..) This way it shows you are willing to leave your hometown and come to a new city and you actually thought about moving there, not just applying. The social is USUALLY with the residents. Try to ask them how their interviews were, if they know the faculty who will be interviewing you.
Above all....BE YOURSELF and don't stress out over it. Think of it as an opportunity to see something new!
Best of luck to you :)

Last edited:
What if you absolutely cannot go to the social because you're at another interview that day? Should you email the program director/chief resident and explain or just hope for the best on interview day?

Quote:
Also, ALWAYS go to the dinner or social scheduled before the interview with the residents. Believe it or not, if you don't show up it might be counted against you as you are " not serious" !

Wish you all the very best of luck! :)
[/QUOTE]

I would email the director or coordinator and explain that I would have loved to be there but I can't because of whatever reason. It shows that you cared about it enough to let them know you will not show up. Believe it or not you are under a magnifying glass...

Post Match RARELY happens in ortho. Last year there was 3 spots and all of them were filled within SECONDS. It doesn't matter if you got an interview or even applied to the program. Usually you call the program director and you send them your stuff. They let you know ASAP if you got the position. It really depends on the program, but as I said for Ortho there is RARELY any spots... It usually works for GPR and AEGD programs though... Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response!

Has anybody heard from Southern Nevada?

USN called 2 weeks ago. One of their available days is next Tuesday on the 27th with social the night before.

Also, USC is still calling people for interviews. I got a call from their chair this morning.

Last edited:
How is USC's program anyway? I couldn't find much info such as tuition anywhere on their webpage

Members don't see this ad :)
alabama: 9/18 phone. Int: Oct 14,15,16
arizona: 9/17-18 email. Int: 10/5 or 10/6 (dinner 10/5)
baylor: 9/25 phone. Int: Oct 28,29,or 30, parties on 28 or 29
buffalo: 1012 Phone. Int: Oct 27 or 29 with dinner the night before
Case Western: 10/16 phone, Int: Nov 11 or 12 with social on Nov 11
colorado: 9/20 email and phone. Int: 10/9
columbia: 9/22 email. Int: 10/7 or 10/12
detroit mercy: 10/14 email. Int: 11/3 or 11/10
georgia (mcg) 10/5 phone int 10/26
harvard: 10/2 email. Int: 10/16, mandatory social on 10/15
Houston: 10/6 email. Int: Oct 28-29 or Oct 29-30
illinois-chicago: 9/17 email. Int: 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/5
indiana: 10/8 email. Int 10/23 with social night before
iowa: 9/4, email. Int: 9/24-9/25 and 10/11-10/12.
Jacsonville: email 10/20. Int: Nov 9th.
kentucky: 10/2, phone. Int 10/29 with dinner the night before
loma linda: 10/2 via phone. Int 11/1 and 11/2
louisville: 10/2 phone. Int 10/22 or 10/23 with social night befor
lsu: 9/22 email. Int: 10/22 or 10/23 with social night on 10/22
maimonides, email 10/8, int 11/3
maryland: 9/25 email. Int: 10/21, 10/28, or 11/10
mayo Clinic: 9/30 phone. Int: 11/6
michigan: 9/25 phone, int:10/21 or 10/26. Social the night before
minnesota: 9/29 phone, int: 10/30. Social the night before
montefiore: 9/11 (still giving out invites) phone. Int: 10/4-10/5 or 10/11-10/12
Nebraska: 10/14 phone. Int: 11/9 or 11/10 with social the night before
nova southeastern: 9/29 phone. Int: 10/20 or 10/21 or 10/22 with social the night before
nyu: phone 10/13. Int: 10/16 or 10/17
ohio state: 9/21 phone. Int: 10/26 or 10/27 with social night before
ohsu: Email, 10/9. Interview 11/3 or 11/12
oklahoma: 8/25 phone. Int: 10/30 and 11/13.
rochester: 9/11 phone. Int: (2 full days) every t/w or th/f starting sept 22 to oct 20
san antonio: 10/2 via phone. Int: 10/30 and 11/2 w/ reception night before.
st barnabas: 10/9 via email. Int nov 10 and nov 11
slu (saint louis university) 10/13 email Int 11/2,3,4 or 5; Socials 11/1-4
stony brook: 10/1 email. Int 10/22 with social the night before
temple : 9/28 phone. Int: 10/23 or 10/30 with social the night before
tennessee: 9/17 mail. Int: 10/19
tufts: 10/7 mail. Int 11/5 or 11/6 with social night before
ucla: 9/29 phone. Int: 10/12 dinner the night before
uconn: 10/1 phone. Int: 10/26 or 10/27 dinner the night before
ucsf: 10/1 phone. Int: 10/28 social the night before.
unc: 9/30 phone. Int: 11/2 or 11/3 with social the night before
umdnj: 9/21 email. Int 10/23 or 10/26
umkc: 9/30 email. Int: 10/19 with social the night before
unlv: 9/24 email. Int 10/9
uop: 10/9 email. Int 10/26 or 10/27 with social on 10/26
UPenn: 10/13 email. Int: 10/14, 10/19, 10/21, 10/26, 11/14, 11/4, 11/9. Didn't mention the social
upitts: 10/5 phone. Int 10/30 or 11/2 with social the night before
USC 10/15 by email. Int: Oct 29th, (dinner the 28th)
USN. Int: 10/27 (social night before)
uw:10/02, 10/06 email. Int: 10/26 with social the night before
vcu: 9/23 email. Int: Oct 29 and 30
WVU: 10/12 phone. Int: Nov 2 with social the night befor

Thanks catfish. I called today and apparently she never got my email. My requested day was of course full, but apparently there are 2 extra dates not mentioned. 11/6 and 11/13. They interview a lot of people.

Hi can you clearify regarding the post match? How does it get filled in a matter of seconds?

anyone want to share how their interview(s) went if you guys have already gone through the process...

anyone want to share how their interview(s) went if you guys have already gone through the process...

The interviews have actually been really easy, all the interviewers are very friendly. The process itself is pretty laid back. I have been on four so far and they are basically just trying to get to know you, so just be yourself. Good luck.

didn't apply to uof...didn't get an interview from jacksonville....sux.....so is it official that all the interviews have been sent out via phone, email or pony express as of today....

Hi flashlight, I heard from UoFl yesterday...

S2003:

The interviewes are in general very chill! They always ask just the most common questions: Tell me about yourself... Why ortho? Why here? Why should we choose you over another applicant? One important thing is that if you are interviewing at a place that is not your hometown, it is better if you mention any links you have to that city ( ex. Friends, family members, etc..) This way it shows you are willing to leave your hometown and come to a new city and you actually thought about moving there, not just applying. The social is USUALLY with the residents. Try to ask them how their interviews were, if they know the faculty who will be interviewing you.
Above all....BE YOURSELF and don't stress out over it. Think of it as an opportunity to see something new!
Best of luck to you :)

Thanks a bunch Smile09:).But isn't it against the rules to talk to the residents about the interview?and will the residents have a say in who is accepted?I mean will they ask the residents for feedback after the social?

Thanks a bunch Smile09:).But isn't it against the rules to talk to the residents about the interview?and will the residents have a say in who is accepted?I mean will they ask the residents for feedback after the social?

Yes, the residents can be asked for their input. Even though it's called a social, it's really not. It's just an extension of the interview day.

You can talk to the residents about the interview. In fact, they'll probably ask you how it went when they see you afterwards.

in case anyone's been wondering, howard sent email invites on 10/23.

alabama: 9/18 phone. Int: Oct 14,15,16
arizona: 9/17-18 email. Int: 10/5 or 10/6 (dinner 10/5)
baylor: 9/25 phone. Int: Oct 28,29,or 30, parties on 28 or 29
buffalo: 1012 Phone. Int: Oct 27 or 29 with dinner the night before
Case Western: 10/16 phone, Int: Nov 11 or 12 with social on Nov 11
colorado: 9/20 email and phone. Int: 10/9
columbia: 9/22 email. Int: 10/7 or 10/12
detroit mercy: 10/14 email. Int: 11/3 or 11/10
georgia (mcg) 10/5 phone int 10/26
harvard: 10/2 email. Int: 10/16, mandatory social on 10/15
Houston: 10/6 email. Int: Oct 28-29 or Oct 29-30
Howard: 10/23 email. Int: 11/12 or 11/13, no mention of social
illinois-chicago: 9/17 email. Int: 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/5
indiana: 10/8 email. Int 10/23 with social night before
iowa: 9/4, email. Int: 9/24-9/25 and 10/11-10/12.
Jacsonville: email 10/20. Int: Nov 9th.
kentucky: 10/2, phone. Int 10/29 with dinner the night before
loma linda: 10/2 via phone. Int 11/1 and 11/2
louisville: 10/2 phone. Int 10/22 or 10/23 with social night befor
lsu: 9/22 email. Int: 10/22 or 10/23 with social night on 10/22
maimonides, email 10/8, int 11/3
maryland: 9/25 email. Int: 10/21, 10/28, or 11/10
mayo Clinic: 9/30 phone. Int: 11/6
michigan: 9/25 phone, int:10/21 or 10/26. Social the night before
minnesota: 9/29 phone, int: 10/30. Social the night before
montefiore: 9/11 (still giving out invites) phone. Int: 10/4-10/5 or 10/11-10/12
Nebraska: 10/14 phone. Int: 11/9 or 11/10 with social the night before
nova southeastern: 9/29 phone. Int: 10/20 or 10/21 or 10/22 with social the night before
nyu: phone 10/13. Int: 10/16 or 10/17
ohio state: 9/21 phone. Int: 10/26 or 10/27 with social night before
ohsu: Email, 10/9. Interview 11/3 or 11/12
oklahoma: 8/25 phone. Int: 10/30 and 11/13.
rochester: 9/11 phone. Int: (2 full days) every t/w or th/f starting sept 22 to oct 20
san antonio: 10/2 via phone. Int: 10/30 and 11/2 w/ reception night before.
st barnabas: 10/9 via email. Int nov 10 and nov 11
slu (saint louis university) 10/13 email Int 11/2,3,4 or 5; Socials 11/1-4
stony brook: 10/1 email. Int 10/22 with social the night before
temple : 9/28 phone. Int: 10/23 or 10/30 with social the night before
tennessee: 9/17 mail. Int: 10/19
tufts: 10/7 mail. Int 11/5 or 11/6 with social night before
ucla: 9/29 phone. Int: 10/12 dinner the night before
uconn: 10/1 phone. Int: 10/26 or 10/27 dinner the night before
ucsf: 10/1 phone. Int: 10/28 social the night before.
unc: 9/30 phone. Int: 11/2 or 11/3 with social the night before
umdnj: 9/21 email. Int 10/23 or 10/26
umkc: 9/30 email. Int: 10/19 with social the night before
unlv: 9/24 email. Int 10/9
uop: 10/9 email. Int 10/26 or 10/27 with social on 10/26
UPenn: 10/13 email. Int: 10/14, 10/19, 10/21, 10/26, 11/14, 11/4, 11/9. Didn't mention the social
upitts: 10/5 phone. Int 10/30 or 11/2 with social the night before
USC 10/15 by email. Int: Oct 29th, (dinner the 28th)
USN. Int: 10/27 (social night before)
uw:10/02, 10/06 email. Int: 10/26 with social the night before
vcu: 9/23 email. Int: Oct 29 and 30
WVU: 10/12 phone. Int: Nov 2 with social the night before

Hey anyone who had their interview at NOva would like to share their experience and what kind of questions they asked?

Sometimes programs will get cocky and only rank a handful of students expecting that all of those students will match at that school. Then come match day, those students have all matched elsewhere and the cocky program is left with post-match spots - UNC in 2005 and Buffalo in more recent years.

If a school interviews, say, 20 people for 4 spots, why wouldn't they rank most of them, if not ALL of them. If an applicant was invited for an interview, aren't we to presume they are all at least qualified to enter the program (short of any glaring attitude/personality problems apparent at the interview)? It seems like it would be playing with fire not to rank everybody who interviewed for risk of having (multiple) post-match openings.

Secondly, is it just an old canard that all applicants are truly on "equal ground" once they are at the interview? I find this hard to believe...

some people look great on paper but are total turds. so they are not ranked.

Secondly, is it just an old canard that all applicants are truly on "equal ground" once they are at the interview? I find this hard to believe...

Some people's ground is more equal than others.

Hey people!
I got a call from Pittsburg a couple of days ago for an interview. Does anyone know what the deal is with this? Is this a second round because the first round wasn't good enough? Is it worth my time?

Also, is it true that tuition there is only paid for 2 out of the 3 year program at about 45k/year.
Does anyone know what the stipend is?

Last edited:
I can has interview? ...On a serious note, who else has completed interviews and is dreading the long wait for match day? It's tortuous

This is definitely not true at my program. And I had a suspicion that other programs I interviewed at were the same.

This is definitely not true at my program. And I had a suspicion that other programs I interviewed at were the same.

Agree. The "all applicants are on equal ground at the interview" is just something residents like to tell applicants to make them feel better. Along the same lines, you will also often hear "oh, you're interviewing us just as much as we're interviewing you." :laugh:

Hey people!
I got a call from Pittsburg a couple of days ago for an interview. Does anyone know what the deal is with this? Is this a second round because the first round wasn't good enough? Is it worth my time?

Also, is it true that tuition there is only paid for 2 out of the 3 year program at about 45k/year.
Does anyone know what the stipend is?

The deal is that a lot of people cancel really late in the game and the school tries to get some more applicants to pool from. Not second round...definitely worth your time...shows that you're interested. Tuition is only 2 of 3 years and stipend is 10K per year. It's on the unofficial website www.pitt.edu/~scs53. Sorry for the late reply the fact that interviews are almost over for the school. But maybe for future reference.

Can anyone help with interview tips for University of Nebreska? What kind of candidate are they looking for? Research oriented? Community service oriented? How's life in Lincoln NE? How's the program, pros and cons. Much appreciated.

So I decided to check out the MATCH website tonight. I found out I couldn't sign on the ROLIC system :( I got the 5 digit match code and my password correct off PASS for sure, but it says the combination is invalid :( I'll need to wait till tomorrow morning to call them. Anybody submitted the rank list already or had similar problem I do? I hope everything's ok and it didn't tell a program that tried to rank me that I didn't exist or something. I'm so paranoid~

I highly suggest checking out the ROLIC if you haven't done it already, just so you know it works when you're ready to submit your rank order.

Good luck everyone!

Hey guys I got a question:
Would you go ahead and rank schools anyway (for Match) even if you didn't get an interview from them? Do schools ever accept applicants who never interviewed?

Thanks, I guess this ortho thing may not happen for me.

you can rank them but if no programs rank u then u won't match esp if u don't interview then they definitely won't rank you.

Hey guys I got a question:
Would you go ahead and rank schools anyway (for Match) even if you didn't get an interview from them? Do schools ever accept applicants who never interviewed?

Thanks, I guess this ortho thing may not happen for me.

i'm not sure how to answer your question without sounding like an ass, but the answer to your question(s) is definitely no. unfortunately, if a school doesn't send you an interview that means they are not considering you for acceptance at all. sorry, but i wish you luck. take care.

The match stats are the same almost every year. About 500 students enter the ortho match (meaning they had at least 1 interview and submitted a match list) and about half of those secure a position in the match. Of the 250 who get a position in the match, the majority (160) get their number 1 choice. These numbers are available to view on the match website and look very similar to the numbers I have seen for the past 7 years. People who accept positions outside of the match are not included in these statistics because they are not submitting match lists.

To sum it up, if you have an acceptance, take it.

Are the match statistics posted somewhere? Thanks...

Do you guys write thank you cards or emails after each interview to the program director?

Do you guys write thank you cards or emails after each interview to the program director?

I didn't back when I interviewed, but I do think it's a nice touch. And now being on the resident end, I find that it sends a good message. Let me give you some advice though.... do it IMMEDIATELY after the interview (next day). Because some programs meet very quickly to discuss applicants, and you wouldn't want your thank you to arrive AFTER people have already put their thoughts down on paper.

If you pretty much know a program isn't going to rank you, does it hurt to still put them on your list? I know it shouldn't, but the way people talk about how the MATCH screwed them over, I wonder.

If you pretty much know a program isn't going to rank you, does it hurt to still put them on your list? I know it shouldn't, but the way people talk about how the MATCH screwed them over, I wonder.

no.

if you're right and they don't rank you, then the result of you putting them on your rank list would be the same as if you didn't rank them at all. think about it -- if you put the program in question as #1 on your list and the program doesn't rank you at all then your #2 will in essence become your #1. this scenario plays out the exact same way no matter where you put the program in question on your rank list as long as you're correct in your assumption that they won't rank you (how in the world could you know that, though?). now, if the program does end up ranking you, then the situation changes bc now you actually have a chance of getting into that program. think about how much you'd like to attend the program and just rank them accordingly.

hope that helps. good luck.

i guess you turned down the non-match offer you got earlier?