Ortho 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cl24uw06

cl24uw06
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is applying to Ortho? It has been helpful in the past for those applying to post there stats so here we go...

Dental School Attended: UW
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2010
NBDE Part I/II scores: 94/?
Class Ranking: 1/55
Programs Applied: UW, UCLA, UNC, Baylor, Houston, Michigan, UConn, VCU
GRE: 740Q/540V/4.5W

Members don't see this ad.

if you ask me, no one wants to compare stats.... everyone knows what they got, and everyone knows what it takes to get into ortho. looking at previous years what everyone posting found to be most helpful was posting when schools sent out interview invitations. For the most part each school only does this once so if a school sent out interview invitations and you didnt get one, you can mark it off your list. my two cents. Post when you hear about interviews!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Who else is applying to Ortho? It has been helpful in the past for those applying to post there stats so here we go...

Dental School Attended: UW
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2010
NBDE Part I/II scores: 94/?
Class Ranking: 1/55
Programs Applied: UW, UCLA, UNC, Baylor, Houston, Michigan, UConn, VCU
GRE: 740Q/540V/4.5W

Great. Now all your classmates know you are trolling on SDN. Not a good move for your reputation

Because his board score is too high

cl24uw06, those are some good schools you are applying to. With your stats, I'm sure you will be competitive. Only school that seems out of place on that list is UCLA. Why are you applying there?

Why not? I think UCLA is a very competive program b/c of the stipend.
I think the OP should apply to more ortho programs. My #1 classmate applied to 5 schools and didn’t match the first time. When he applied the second time, he applied to a lot more schools and he matched to his least desirable (and expensive) program.

cl24uw06, those are some good schools you are applying to. With your stats, I'm sure you will be competitive. Only school that seems out of place on that list is UCLA. Why are you applying there?
I don't know. UCLA is a program that is very heavy into research just like UConn is. You get a stipend. It's not a bad deal, especially if you are interested in a research heavy program like the OP appears to possibly be?

UCLA is making it the more difficult to apply by asking for a separate Graduate program application with their own 3 separate LORs. Ridiculous. I hate bugging professors for LORs and constant reminders to send them in. I hate to be a bug.:D

You don't apply to UCLA's graduate program until after you are accepted to the ortho program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received any interview invites yet?

I heard Oklahoma has offered some...

I got a phone call from Oklahoma this morning. Email confirmation with schedule will be sent out in another 2 weeks. But here are the 2 interview date options:

Oklahoma: Oct.30 or Nov. 13

It's still too early to hear interview invitation, right? I didn't expect to hear anything until end of September. I was very surprised to get the phone call.

anyway, good luck everybody!

I got a phone call from Oklahoma this morning. Email confirmation with schedule will be sent out in another 2 weeks. But here are the 2 interview date options:

Oklahoma: Oct.30 or Nov. 13

It's still too early to hear interview invitation, right? I didn't expect to hear anything until end of September. I was very surprised to get the phone call.

anyway, good luck everybody!

Yeah I was surprised to hear a classmate already had gotten an interview. The notification timing makes sense for a late September interview... but I found it a little strange to notify in August for late Oct or Nov. Their application due date hasn't even came has it?

Congrats for getting the interview. Wish I got one!

Congrats on getting the early interview. Must be a huge relief. Keep 'em coming!

didn't apply to Oklahoma but got secondary application request from Arizona.:)

Hallelujah! Boston just emailed me to request $70 so they can review my app. :rolleyes:

Hallelujah! Boston just emailed me to request $70 so they can review my app. :rolleyes:

Unless something is different from at least the last two years.... they won't be reviewing your app. They will just be cashing your check. They haven't interviewed ANYBODY in the last 2 years, just take their money and fill the spots internally.

Unless something is different from at least the last two years.... they won't be reviewing your app. They will just be cashing your check. They haven't interviewed ANYBODY in the last 2 years, just take their money and fill the spots internally.

Drats!:D yeah I know... I had been reading past posts about BU and their controversial activities... heck, its worth a try though... hey you never know...

Louisville (By Email) : Interview dates are Thursday and Friday, October 22 and 23 (they won't be offering interviews until after oct 1st). Drats, I thought I got an interview offer.:D

Drats!:D yeah I know... I had been reading past posts about BU and their controversial activities... heck, its worth a try though... hey you never know...

BU just got a new Chair (Former Harvard and Tufts) and as what I know of about her she probably (Will) put an end to this streak

thank you odep!

I just double checked. Leslie Will, DMD, MSD, Professor and Chair; Program Director has replaced Dr Victor Dietz as Program Director and Chair. Wow it must have occurred within the last 6-8 months.;)
Hopefully the program won't be as collusive as in the near past. At least my $70 now won't go to waste.:D

So is Oklahoma the only program to have offered interview invites yet? (Even though their due date is Oct 1 and they're interveiwing in November, haha).

If so, dang you Oklahoma for permanently increasing my stress level WAY too early!

So is Oklahoma the only program to have offered interview invites yet? (Even though their due date is Oct 1 and they're interveiwing in November, haha).

If so, dang you Oklahoma for permanently increasing my stress level WAY too early!

Haven't heard anything yet either, and neither have any of my friends who are also applying. If this year is anything like last year, a majority of interviews usually dont start coming until the end of September and into October. However, I wouldnt be surprised if Iowa starts calling after this holiday weekend. Iowa and Oklahoma are usually the first to give out interviews.

yeah but if you get into BU, you'll have to put up with those loser residents who got in through "unconventional" means. believe me, your co-residents will affect the quality of your residency experience just as much (if not more) than your faculty. i'd wait 2 years for the rest of these "legacy" residents to get phased out before I started recommending anyone apply to this program.

thank you odep!

I just double checked. Leslie Will, DMD, MSD, Professor and Chair; Program Director has replaced Dr Victor Dietz as Program Director and Chair. Wow it must have occurred within the last 6-8 months.;)
Hopefully the program won't be as collusive as in the near past. At least my $70 now won't go to waste.:D

Iowa interview: notified by email on Sept. 4th. Interview dates are Sept. 24-25 and Oct. 11-12.

Good luck DDSretiree. Iowa was one of my favorite programs. I've never seen a Director (Dr Southard) who seems so hands-on and involved in the residents' education.

Iowa interview: notified by email on Sept. 4th. Interview dates are Sept. 24-25 and Oct. 11-12.

Damn... 0 for 2. If someone already got the invite and we didn't get one, that means we're pretty much done at that program, no?

Damn... 0 for 2. If someone already got the invite and we didn't get one, that means we're pretty much done at that program, no?

Usually. A few of programs give out interviews in waves, though - UPenn, for example.

I got the feeling that Iowa sent out all their invites at the same time. However, I suppose some spots might open up if not everyone accepts the interview. This will probably be less likely given that their interviews are so early.

I got the feeling that Iowa sent out all their invites at the same time. However, I suppose some spots might open up if not everyone accepts the interview. This will probably be less likely given that their interviews are so early.

I'm sure that is the case... I am however curious as to what gave you this, "feeling."

Kinda pissed I didn't get an invite, but I don't mean to be sour grapes. Congrats to you. It's a stellar program.

Oklahoma: 8/25 phone. Int: 10/30 and 11/13.
Iowa: 9/4, email. Int: 9/24-9/25 and 10/11-10/12.

In the email they said that they want to have an equal number of interviewees in each of the interview sessions, so I should respond quickly to get the session I wanted. That's why I am assuming that all the invites went out at the same time.

Rochester: 9/11 phone. Int: (2 full days) every Tues & Wed or Thurs & Fri starting Sept 22 through Oct 20

9/11 phone. Dates: 10/4-10-5 or 10/11-10/12.

hi everyone myself rushabh doshi......m a dentist 4m india......
cn nebody plz suggest me whr shud i apply 4 ortho 2010?
i knw i m little late bt do i have ne option available?
my part 1 score is 98......gpa is 3.59....gre is 1360 n toefl is 100
plz reply asap...........

9/11 phone. Dates: 10/4-10-5 or 10/11-10/12.

Awesome, congrats on Monte, I visited that program last year and really liked it. Hopefully they are not done giving out interviews. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next month. Goodluck everyone!

hi everyone myself rushabh doshi......m a dentist 4m india......
cn nebody plz suggest me whr shud i apply 4 ortho 2010?
i knw i m little late bt do i have ne option available?
my part 1 score is 98......gpa is 3.59....gre is 1360 n toefl is 100
plz reply asap...........

Rushabh
Your board score is great. GRE is very good too. When did you take it?

Rochester: 9/11 phone. Int: (2 full days) every T/W or Th/F starting Sept 22 to Oct 20
Montefiore: 9/11 phone. Int: 10/4-10/5 or 10/11-10/12

dang...all the programs I didn't apply to have given out the first interviews... I'm nervous...:scared::D

OK- I've been a voyeur for years, thought I'd join the party...

Thanks, jaap. Insider info is much appreciated :) Hope to see you there!

I don't know if this is supposed to be "out", but dates for OHSU are Nov. 3 and Nov. 10, though invites have not gone out, yet.

Thanks! Good luck to you too. What was it about the program that you liked when you visited last year?

Awesome, congrats on Monte, I visited that program last year and really liked it. Hopefully they are not done giving out interviews. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next month. Goodluck everyone!
Thanks! Good luck to you too. What was it about the program that you liked when you visited last year?

From my perspective, it seemed like a strong clinical program where you are given a ton of cases starting day 1 and alot of independence to try different things. The 3rd year residents I spoke with were very happy and felt very prepared to handle private practice with the myriad of cases they were exposed to. The biggest difference was the fact that the program is associated with a hospital and not a university. I didnt see many medically compromised patients being seen, but I did notice a few more medi-cal patients than usual. That being said, the difference will probably equate to a different patient population than the average dental school. Also another good thing was that the residents didnt have to take call like other hospital based programs. The stipend also helps. Overall, I just got a good vibe from the place and enjoyed the limited time I was there.