*Oral Surgery Interviews 2007*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any of you ******* coming to Highland this weekend? Don't forget to bring the lube:D Seriously though, I think we ordered a little too much beer for Saturday night (forgot to add in the Mormon factor) so you guys better bring your big boy pants (Bryce, we have plenty of diet Coke for you). See you guys soon.

If the applicant to stripper ratio is any higher than 1:1, you can count me out. . .

Members don't see this ad.

Are the NY programs done sending invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
why did you apply to those places if they suck?

i had solid info on 7 of the 11 programs i applied to, the other 4 i just went by the info i got either from their websites or geographic location. + out of those 4, i was happy with 2 of them after the interview.

I did the same thing. I applied all over the place because I had no idea how competitive I was. You never know who the rest of the applicant pool is. I guess it just depends on how bad you want to be an oral surgeon. As long as the programs are accredited you'll be an oral surgeon when it's done.

i also applied to more programs than i probably needed too, you just never know.

i also applied to more programs than i probably needed too, you just never know.

Nice avatar, doncorleone -- next time I see you you're getting a MASSIVE titty twister, my friend . . .

its a picture of the guy who likes to sit at a table of radiologists and talk about breast fellowships...

Members don't see this ad :)
fatty, you are now famous my friend.

Looks like program directors will now have a face to put with the rejection letter.

that, and all the other pictures you have floating around the internet.

interview at St. Vincents-Caratas Mary Immaculate Hospital on December 28th

How did Caratas contact you, via e-mail?

Sorry for the hiatus. I was on the trail and pre occupied by that UCLA ortho scandal post. Now that both seemed to have calmed down I do want to say that I dont think that I've met anyone that I didnt like on the trail this year. I'm confident that my co-resident (assuming I Match, of course) will not disappoint me. I also wanted to tell everyone that posts looking for rankings, that you really can only rank what's right for you. I thought that this was a cop out answer but its true, it really depends on what YOU'RE looking for and the feeling the program gives you once you visit it. Be grateful that there is no 'official' ranking out. There are some programs that SDN doesn't consider top programs that I loved so take everything you read with a grain of salt and realize that it's the poster's personal opinion. (Like this speech I'm giving). To all of the candidates this year - thank you for being cool and I hope each and every one of you Matches but, of course, I hope the best of you matches with me :D. To all of the past poster's-thank you for your guidance. And to all of the future posters- I hope we've been as helpful as those who have guided us through this website. Stay cool.

Jake,
sorry i never got to meet you. Since you said everyone you met was cool, I assume you didn't meet bryce.

bryce, i'm still waiting...

Bryce didn't care anymore.
No reaction = no fun

I think by and large jake is right...although in truth, I met one or two candidates who I really hope I don't match with.:scared: Every program has a personality and you just have to find the one whose personality suits you. And there are lots of good programs out there. I will say having applied to both 4 and 6 yr programs, I felt the competition was much stiffer for the 4 yr spots than the 6 yr spots. Just the cyclical thing I guess. After match, I plan on starting a thread where I talk about the programs I interviewed at and what i think their strengths/weaknesses are and I am going to try to keep it objective. I think if we all did that for the programs we interviewed at, we would create a great resource for those to follow next year.

So do you think then that those of us who are moderately competative but not rock-stars should aim more at 6yrs, or 4yrs are still in reach for us (depending on the program obviously)??

Personally--looking back, I would apply to any program (4 or 6) that offers broad scope and are in livable areas, all over the country (i.e, not limiting myself be geography)...a place that you would be happy at but also grants you the advantage of exposure to all aspects of oral surgery. I know that most people say "the first thing you should decide is whether or not you want to do a 4- or 6-year" which is fine, I'm just telling you how I would approach the whole thing after being on the trail and such. So, I guess in short, your numbers shouldn't keep you from applying if you see a program you like...but that may just be the naive view of an optimist.

So do you think then that those of us who are moderately competative but not rock-stars should aim more at 6yrs, or 4yrs are still in reach for us (depending on the program obviously)??

I agree with jake. I think you should apply to any program you are interested in whether or not you think you have a shot at getting an interview. If you have board scores below 90 though, I would apply to a lot of programs and you may want to apply to more of the lesser known 4 yr programs. For example, I met the program director of Loyola at AAOMS this year and he told me they only had 30 some applications. I think it is hard to say what places will or won't grant you an interview prior to applying. I met guys out on the interview trail who had 99 on the boards and I got interviews at places they didn't and vice versa. I honestly think if you are really set on oral surgery, you ought to apply to a wide variety of programs 4 and 6 yr and see where you get interviews. You might be surprised at what programs you really like and which ones you don't.

its not that I didn't want to reply to your post doncorleone, it that everytime I see your avatar picture, it want to touch myself. . .

bryce, i didn't know you were into fat dudes.

Anyone on here comming to OU this weekend for interviews????

Just wanted to wish everyone the best with MATCH, especially FullBony, that is one of the best name/avaitar combos possible, nicely done my friend.

May you get your first choice in Match panfacial. Go Giants!