*Oral Surgery Interviews 2007*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i am going to the miami interview on the 19-20. i have a hotel room for the night of the 18th and 19th. does anybody want to split the room?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know anything about the Denver program? I've heard some bad things but they could be false. Just thought I'd ask before I shell out the money to go.

review this thread, i think something was said about it earlier

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a question...Is it customary to send thank-you notes to everyone that interviews you? Do people actually send those litte cute, flowery cards or just shoot off an email? I know brycethefatty already has perfume scented stationery and I'm just trying to keep up.

How many interviews are most of you accepting? What is a reasonable amount to feel relatively confident about the match?

I received 16 and am going on 11. >95% of people who matched last year matched to one of their top 5. Only 6 people last year matched to 6 or higher on their rank lists. I met a guy this weekend taking 16 interviews!

I received 16 and am going on 11. >95% of people who matched last year matched to one of their top 5. Only 6 people last year matched to 6 or higher on their rank lists. I met a guy this weekend taking 16 interviews!

When you are as neurotic as servitup, you need to go on as many as you can in hopes that someone would rather take him than have an unmatched spot.

I kid. I have met people going on anywhere from 3 to 16. 8 seems to be average although I have only asked a few people, and they were ones I had seen at multiple interviews.

Been very interesting to put faces with SDN names. I'm told brycethefatty should be known as brycethebeanpole.:smuggrin:

where else you going rat. i have met bryce the fatty, he isn't so skinny:laugh:
just kidding bryce

St. Lukes Roosevelt (Columbia) 12/11 (11/13 U.S. Mail)

rat, will you be at vandy tomorrow? (11/14)

Program: OSU
Interview Date: 12/3 or 12/5 (dinner with with the residents the night before the intervew)
Mode of invitation: email
Date of invitation: 11/14

Nassau University Medical Center
Email on 11/14
Interview dates: 12/6 and 12/12

Anyone know anything about this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Program: Mount Sinai
Interview Date: December 19 or December 20
Mode of invitation: email
Date of invitation: 11/14

Tufts by snail mail today, Dec 5th...conflicts with 5 other interviews...wtf!

does anyone know about denver?? is it a good program??? thanks for the help....

also emory oct 28th or dec. 2nd
by email on 9/15

confirmations from memphis, gainesville, and denver.
Good Luck with Emory, its a great program.....I love the OMFS staff here:thumbup:

Where: Oklahoma
How: Snail Mail 11/15/07
Interview: 1/5/08

Hi all
I wish I was an applicant for OMFS program and could post my inteview dates here, But maybe at this point u guys can help me and then hopefully can post 2 years....I really really love to be an oral surgeon
I'm foreign graduated dentist and i'm permanent resident..my part I score is 94 and allready i'm working as an oral surgeon assitant in an oral surgery offce in MN...now i got acceptance from UMN and hopefuly from UCSF and maybe UCLA for 2 years advanced standing program to get my american license,and after these 2 years i'm going to apply for OMFS.

I know you guys who already have applied for OMFS programs before or are applying have many experience so Could you guys pleas help me and guide me that dose it matter which school i am graduated from or not??? i mean is there any preferences to be garduated from any school to get acceptance in OMFS ???? if not what is the most important factors...

i would appreciate if u help me, because it is sooo soo important to me , and i would do any thing to reach my goal ,besides i have to make decision in about TWO weeks and choose my school for these 2 years...i am waiting for your responses...

Go to the school that you can afford. It won't matter where you went as long as you can obtain a US license and pass state licensing boards.

Apparently, not all the invitations have been extended, yet. I spoke with the program coordinator today and she said Dr. Obeid has more people to call...

By the way, if you all would be so kind as to decline your interview offers to WHC and Temple that would be great. Then I might match somewhere.

Insanely jealous of everybody's interview success,

'Dandies

Does anyone know anything about Howard's program? I haven't heard anything good or bad about it?

Hey everyone so I am at UMKC for an interview and I am going to straight to Denver for my interview. Anyway, I left my info about my interview at Denver at home. I know they have already had some interviews so if anyone knows anything please email me with the time and address of where the hell I am suppose to be. Please help.

ZX

ZX,

I can't help with the time, but the phone number to Denver Health is 303-602-8241. The address is 301 West 6th Avenue, Denver, CO, 80204

Best of luck.

Hey everyone so I am at UMKC for an interview and I am going to straight to Denver for my interview. Anyway, I left my info about my interview at Denver at home. I know they have already had some interviews so if anyone knows anything please email me with the time and address of where the hell I am suppose to be. Please help.

ZX

Want Miller Time and me to break into your apartment?

hey Ernie, see you at St.Joseph's on the 28th.
woodhull is interviewing on Dec. 14th.
i haven't heard any thing from Lincoln, Brooklyn hospital center yet the other NY
programs i applied to.

Woodhull is on Dec 14th, King/Drew is barely started reviewing the applications on 11/2,
Brooklyn hospital will start calling next week according to the lady i talk with

just wanted to say thanks for all the help I got about Denver. I appericate it. Good luck to everyone on their interviews and if you see Brycethefattie do me a favor and push him off a building. j/k bryce.

ZX

a friend of mine graduated from there, lots of trauma, enough implants and less orthognatic and plastics.

Hey All,

doncorleone ill be seeing you tomorrow in miami, wish I noticed your post earlier we could have split a room.

Im a canadian citizen, working as a GP in Southern Cal right now. Graduated may this year from Temple Univ, Philadelphia, PA, but oddly not applying to their omfs program :p

I have the following interviews that I plan to attend, had to schedule them further out, I cant miss too many days at work!

Jackson Memorial, Miami FL - Nov 19,20
UCinn - Dec 8
Washington Hospital Center - Dec 15
Denver Health - Jan 2

Good luck to all interviewing this year! If anyone has similar interview dates give me a shout.

Hi all
I wish I was an applicant for OMFS program and could post my inteview dates here, But maybe at this point u guys can help me and then hopefully can post 2 years....I really really love to be an oral surgeon
I'm foreign graduated dentist and i'm permanent resident..my part I score is 94 and allready i'm working as an oral surgeon assitant in an oral surgery offce in MN...now i got acceptance from UMN and hopefuly from UCSF and maybe UCLA for 2 years advanced standing program to get my american license,and after these 2 years i'm going to apply for OMFS.

I know you guys who already have applied for OMFS programs before or are applying have many experience so Could you guys pleas help me and guide me that dose it matter which school i am graduated from or not??? i mean is there any preferences to be garduated from any school to get acceptance in OMFS ???? if not what is the most important factors...

i would appreciate if u help me, because it is sooo soo important to me , and i would do any thing to reach my goal ,besides i have to make decision in about TWO weeks and choose my school for these 2 years...i am waiting for your responses...

I was in ur exact position about 4 years ago. I think Bifid uvula is right in some sense. It doesn't really matter much where u get ur DDS and license from, but the thing is ppl like us who got their DDS through advanced standing usually have more trouble getting into competitive specialties, in spite of the faculty assurances of the opposite. In oral surgery specifically, UCSF would not even consider your application (not just UCSF actually many more schools), even if you have great scores.
I scored 97 on part I and working towards my MS in oral biology which means tons of research experience plus 2 externships and I still didn't get as many interviews as I expected.
I got my DDS from UCSF in 2006 and am doing my MS here too, I think it's a great school, also the advanced standing program here is even better. But, I would still advice you not to come here.
Because for program directors it seems that ppl like us are much more of a risk, what you really need to do is go to a school where you can work closely with OMFS for the 2 years, let them know you very well and hopefully take you in their program. UCSF is not one of those schools, not just UCSF but many 6 years programs would not consider advanced standing applicants.
The ones that I know of are :
UCSF
Columbia
UPENN
Loma Linda ( u need to have DAT scores)
UCLA ( PD told me maybe but it's difficult)

There are other programs that are more advanced standing friendly:
USC ( this is ur best bet if u wanna do a 6 year program)
Emory ( only for the 4 years track)
BU
Montefiore
Thomas Jefferson
LSU (6 years)
UAB (6 years)
Houston

One more thing, UCSF switched to a pass no pass system. Faculty in UCSF would tell you that that doesnt' affect your chances in getting into specialty. That's not true unfortunately, PD's would have much less stats for you to compare, less information means more uncertainty, more uncertainty means probably putting ur application at the bottom of the pile until re-evaluation. I have a lot more information that might help you, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to post on this forum. unfortunately there aren't many ppl who are in my/your situation but I know a few. Anyways, I think if you put in a lot of effort it's definitely doable.

FYI. When I got my invite for USC they specifically said they don't offer their 6 year program to foreign trade dentists due to their agreement with the medical school. I'm not that sure if that's what you are talking about but I thought I should put that out there.

Now I have a question:

Is there anywhere I can look that ranks OMFS programs in the U.S.?

FYI. When I got my invite for USC they specifically said they don't offer their 6 year program to foreign trade dentists due to their agreement with the medical school. I'm not that sure if that's what you are talking about but I thought I should put that out there.

Yes you're right, unless they've completed an advanced standing program in an accredited dental school.

I'll be at U of Illinois at Chicago on the 27th, but I have yet to find a hotel room. I was told there's a radiology conference and many of the hotels are sold out. Is anybody else going to be there the night of the 26th that wants to split a room (assuming you got one)?

Thanks,

'Dandy

where: Lincoln medical center, NY
Via: snail mail, 11/19/07
interview: 12/20

anybody with hi 80 NBDE I gotten interviews this year?

yes, i have gotten some

WHC just confirmed the interviews on the 15th... they are interviewing 30 people that same day!

try not to fall on your face vic

Hey All,

doncorleone ill be seeing you tomorrow in miami, wish I noticed your post earlier we could have split a room.

Im a canadian citizen, working as a GP in Southern Cal right now. Graduated may this year from Temple Univ, Philadelphia, PA, but oddly not applying to their omfs program :p

I have the following interviews that I plan to attend, had to schedule them further out, I cant miss too many days at work!

Jackson Memorial, Miami FL - Nov 19,20
UCinn - Dec 8
Washington Hospital Center - Dec 15
Denver Health - Jan 2

Good luck to all interviewing this year! If anyone has similar interview dates give me a shout.

Good stuff Big Game. Congrats.

Where: Temple
Via: email
Interview: 12/4

I have an 87. Feel lucky to have 3 interviews.

Is anyone interviewing at Cook County this coming Tuesday or Wednesday?

I misplaced my letter and Van Hilsen (my classmate who is also going) can't find his either (not really a surprise). I know, we're smooth operators.

Anyway, if someone can PM me the address where we are meeting in the morning (and the time) that would be great. I'll owe you something special.

And please let it be someone other than doncorleone because I know he'll just give a bogus address and say we are meeting at 11am in the hospital cafeteria.

Thanks

darn, the address i gave zach was to the cafeteria, i thought it was to the proctology department at denver health.

Jacobi Medical Center
Interview on 12/13-12/14 or 12/20-12/21
Email (11/26)

New York Medical College (Manhattan Westchester)

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 28
WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 12
WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 19

Email today

New York Medical College (Manhattan Westchester)

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 28
WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 12
WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 19

Email today

I wonder how many people can actually make it with 1.5 days notice, i.e. I wonder how many people will be at the interview on this Wednesday.

I'm driving from the Montefiore interview in NY on the 14th down to DC for the Washington Hosp Cent interview on the 15th and then back through NY to Boston the following day. If anyone needs a lift let me know.

Also if anyone wants to split a hotel room at WHC let me know. I hate sharing but 129$/night...damn!

Brooklyn Hospital Center Dec 20th
by phone this morning

Any of you ******* coming to Highland this weekend? Don't forget to bring the lube:D Seriously though, I think we ordered a little too much beer for Saturday night (forgot to add in the Mormon factor) so you guys better bring your big boy pants (Bryce, we have plenty of diet Coke for you). See you guys soon.