Oral Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaboo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! i was wondering if anyone had any insight on the oral medicine residency programs? i know the deadline for this cycle has already passed but i would like to know any information so that i am well prepared for the next cycle. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

"Oral Medicine"
Sounds interesting.
BUT does anyone actually get paid to do oral medicine exclusively?

Members don't see this ad :)
The recruiter for us basically told us that all calls for things like emergencies goes to Prosth first and heavily implied that OS wasn't really responsible for anything outside of the surgery which is why most of us residents were very skeptical to further pursue ClearChoice.
Those that I’ve seen go into this residency are typically foreign trained dentists trying to come over to the US. Not all obviously but a good portion. Most of them hope to eventually become US permanent residents etc, do dental school and practice a dentists.

I’ve seen these residencies get grouped as orofacial pain and oral medicine masters degrees.
Typically you treat non surgical TMJ facial pain and headaches, oral pathology and sleep apnea etc. pretty much things no dentists wants to see.

Do this only if you absolutely hate working with your hands and can’t do traditional dentistry.

It’s typically sets the resident up for an academic career.

Reactions: 1 users
"Oral Medicine"
Sounds interesting.
BUT does anyone actually get paid to do oral medicine exclusively?
Not that I've seen... in academic centers it's usually in the same department as Orofacial Pain (probably because Orofacial Pain is more lucrative)

Private practices I've only seen Orofacial Pain (easier to be FFS, patients are less insurance-driven when it comes to pain), haven't seen a stand-alone Oral Medicine practice yet