>>OQ/OCHSNER Program Information<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhtran

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Since the UQ/Ochsner program is spanking new, there are updates and changes made constantly to accommodate for the requirements of AMC and 50 states in the US.

I will try to keep this thread update as much as possible and please feel free to add if you receive any email from OZTREKK or INTERNATION PATHWAYS or UQ regarding any updates.

- Jon.

Members don't see this ad.

LINKS/URLS:
(The most negative thread) http://uqms.org/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,76/func,view/id,24187/catid,515/

(ValueMD) http://www.valuemd.com/australian-medical-schools/180466-uq-average-acceptance-stat.html

http://uqms.org/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,76/func,view/id,17224/catid,515/

URLs for New and Prospective Students:
http://uqms.org/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,76/func,view/id,340/catid,515/

ACGME:
I've just remembered that some states like TX requires IMG's to complete certain clinical rotations (clerkships) at a ACGME/AOA accredited hospital. Here are a list of programs that are ACGME accredited at Ochsner. I'm still trying to find out what UQ plan to do with the rest. (http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/)

• Anesthesiology -- Robin B. Stedman, MD, MPH
  • Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology (AN) -- Donald E. Harmon, MD
  • Colon and Rectal Surgery -- Charles B. Whitlow, MD
  • Internal Medicine -- William Davis, MD
  • Cardiovascular Disease (IM) -- David J. Elizardi, MD
  • Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism (IM) -- Ramona Granda-Rodriguez, MD
  • Gastroenterology (IM) -- James W. Smith, MD
  • Infectious Disease (IM) -- Julia B. Garcia-Diaz, MD, MS
  • Oncology (IM) -- John Cole, MD
  • Rheumatology (IM) -- Robert J. Quinet, MD
  • Interventional Cardiology (IM) -- Tyrone J. Collins, MD
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology -- Rajiv B. Gala, MD
  • Orthopaedic Surgery -- Mark S. Meyer, MD
  • Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ORS) -- Deryk G. Jones, MD
  • Radiology-Diagnostic -- JAMES M. MILBURN, MD
  • Surgery -- John S. Bolton, MD
  • Vascular Surgery (GS) -- W. Charles Sternbergh, MD
  • Urology -- J. Christian Winters, MD

• PEDIATRICS - through LSU
  • PSYCHIATRY - through LSU

• FAMILY PRACTICE - MISSING :confused:

Last edited:
I'm Jon from HOUSTON, TEXAS!!

From what's gathered through out my research about the UQ, the school it self is great.

However, A LOT of the complaints come from students who find the traditional UQ program
(ie not UQ/O) inadequate for the USMLE prep.

Please post URLs and your CONSTRUCTIVE opinions regarding this program, not about your personal pathetic life.

jhtran

PS. BELOW ARE INFORMATION GATHERED FROM "INTERNATIONAL PATHWAYS" AND OZTREKK.

International Pathways Admission
This program is specifically designed to train Americans to practice in America and that is the focus. The program fee is part of the tuition of this program and reflects the costs of administering this unique program.
OZTREKK
The regular UQ medical program, taught entirely in Brisbane, Australia, is fully accredited by the AMC, yet all new medical programs, or variations of accredited medical programs such as the UQ-Ochsner program, need to obtain AMC accreditation. In the case of the UQ-Ochsner program, this is because part of the UQ MBBS degree is run outside of the normal program delivery, as
students complete all of their clinical rotations at Ochsner in Louisiana, U.S., and not in Australia.

If the UQ-Ochsner program does not receive full AMC accreditation, UQ's School of Medicine guarantees that students enrolled in the UQ-Ochsner program will complete their final two years of medical school in Brisbane, along with the other UQ medical students, which ensures program completion. UQ-Ochsner students will be eligible to complete at least three of their
clinical rotations at Ochsner, should the program not receive AMC accreditation, and students have to stay on in Brisbane, Australia to complete their clinical rotations.

So, the AMC are evaluating the quality of the Ochsner Clinical School where the clinical rotations will be supervised and administered. This concept is not new to Australian universities. Monash University, for example, runs two medical programs however students are awarded a Monash medical degree. Monash University runs its traditional medical program in Australia, like
UQ, but Monash also runs an entire medical program in Malaysia. As this program was being administered in Malaysia, Monash had to seek AMC accreditation for this Malaysia option, which it received. This is what UQ are now doing with the UQ-Ochsner program. The process is quite long, but we hope to be hearing back from the AMC next week as to whether or not the program has moved to the next step of the accreditation process.

So whether you complete the medical program entirely at UQ or the UQ-Ochsner program, you are eligible to apply for an internship in Australia and a residency in the US.

Regarding the internship situation in Australia, there has never been a guarantee that international students receive an internship position in Australia upon the completion of their medical degree. Yes, in the past few years, as there has been an increase in the number of international students
in Australia, this has meant that fewer and fewer international students received internship places in Australia.

However, please note that whether you are enrolled in the regular UQ medical program or the UQ-Ochsner medical program, you are eligible to apply for a residency in the US. The regular UQ medical program as well as the UQ-Ochsner medical program both enable you to undertake clinical rotations in the US, which is a big benefit when applying for residency in the US.

The regular UQ medical program is accredited by the AMC and as such recognised by all 50 states in the US. The UQ-Ochsner program does not yet have AMC accreditation and as such it is not recognised, at the moment, in the US. As I mentioned, if you commence in the UQ-Ochsner program and if by chance the program does not receive AMC accreditation, you will then carry on in the regular UQ medical program which does have AMC accreditation and hence recognised in all 50 states in the US.

Yes, the pathway and structure of the UQ-Ochsner medical program is similar to that of many Caribbean medical schools. But this is where the comparison and similarities stop. The quality of both UQ and Ochsner is vastly different than Caribbean medical schools, you also experience a truly international experience and are taught in a medical system which is world renowned. The main difference is that the University of Queensland is a truly global medical school.

Head of School, Professor Wilkinson's, a U.K. medical graduate who travelled to Africa to practice for a number of years, positive international education experiences are reflected in the clinical placement opportunities now available to students at the University of Queensland's School of
Medicine.

Today, students enrolled in the School's Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery program can complete a prescribed number of their clinical rotations and electives overseas, which Wilkinson deems a powerful education tool.

"We pride ourselves on being a global medical school," he says, adding that last year, 109 medical students completed clinical rotations in 36 countries. "We are unique in Australia in that we have set up clinical schools that we have established overseas. We make an absolute commitment at
the University of Queensland that you can spend a significant amount of your medical training overseas."

The University Of Queensland School of Medicine has also partnered with clinical schools in Brunei and Malaysia, with India and China on the radar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've talked to OCHSNER today and here are what's going on with ACGME:

Ochsner students will go through LSU for Psychiatry and Pediatrics, so I believe those are ACGME accredited. Which leave Family Practice still in the haze...

jhtran

Any updates about the Family Practice rotation or the AMC accreditation for the UQ-Ochsner program?

The regular UQ is inadequate for the USMLE because UQ trains the students for Australia, not the United States. Just like American medical schools train their students for their own exams. It's not hard to understand.

I'm just more curious about the UQ/O program - how well does it train the students for the USMLE? Because if it does train well and does send you to the United States for 2 years clinical, then it's basically a Caribbean medical school with a much better name attached (University of Queensland is a world class university).

I do know a few problems with UQ like the staff and administration is unfriendly and unaccommodating towards its students, etc. There are also good things like it having a helluva lot of resources and stuff.

And yes, like the above poster, I'm wondering how it's doing in the 2nd stage of the AMC accreditation. Most likely it'll pass, but just in case, I don't want to have to pay the mad high expensive tuition fee for the UQ/O just for the regular UQ curriculum, which costs 10~20k less.

The regular UQ is inadequate for the USMLE because UQ trains the students for Australia, not the United States. Just like American medical schools train their students for their own exams. It's not hard to understand.

I'm just more curious about the UQ/O program - how well does it train the students for the USMLE? Because if it does train well and does send you to the United States for 2 years clinical, then it's basically a Caribbean medical school with a much better name attached (University of Queensland is a world class university).

I do know a few problems with UQ like the staff and administration is unfriendly and unaccommodating towards its students, etc. There are also good things like it having a helluva lot of resources and stuff.

And yes, like the above poster, I'm wondering how it's doing in the 2nd stage of the AMC accreditation. Most likely it'll pass, but just in case, I don't want to have to pay the mad high expensive tuition fee for the UQ/O just for the regular UQ curriculum, which costs 10~20k less.

^^what he said! I've heard that one can do well on the USMLE's with the program, but I suppose we won't really know until the end of this year because thats when the first class of the UQ-Ochsner program will finish their second year and write the USMLE's so I'll be patiently waiting.

Has anyone talked to students who have verified that there have been additions made to the curriculum for usmle prep? Every admin I've talked to said that there will be, but I have heard that this is yet to happen. This was from a 3rd and 4th year, so maybe they just started? News from a 1st or 2nd year student would be great.

Has anyone talked to students who have verified that there have been additions made to the curriculum for usmle prep? Every admin I've talked to said that there will be, but I have heard that this is yet to happen. This was from a 3rd and 4th year, so maybe they just started? News from a 1st or 2nd year student would be great.

From what I've heard, there was a cram course sort of thing right before the year they take the USMLEs. As for whether the course itself is USMLe oriented, I'm not sure yet because I, myself, haven't heard much. If it is seriously geared towards the USMLEs, then aside from the price, it's a actually an alternate dream route for American students wishing to travel abroad to study, but planning to return to the United States.

From what I've heard, there was a cram course sort of thing right before the year they take the USMLEs. As for whether the course itself is USMLe oriented, I'm not sure yet because I, myself, haven't heard much. If it is seriously geared towards the USMLEs, then aside from the price, it's a actually an alternate dream route for American students wishing to travel abroad to study, but planning to return to the United States.

Are the first two years really any different then the normal UQ course? I haven't seen anything yet that's convinced me otherwise.

I thought the main benefit of this course was that for extra money you get Caribbean style LORs and US rotations to enable you to practice in the states that require ACGME rotations, and not necessarily better USMLE prep?

Are the first two years really any different then the normal UQ course? I haven't seen anything yet that's convinced me otherwise.

I thought the main benefit of this course was that for extra money you get Caribbean style LORs and US rotations to enable you to practice in the states that require ACGME rotations, and not necessarily better USMLE prep?

UQ students and UQ/o students seem to have separate classes and courses. Or that's what I've heard.

Whether it's geared towards the USMLE or not, I have yet to hear from the UQ/O students. I do know that they will have a cram course/review course available at UQ for the students right before the USMLE. But if it's geared towards the USMLE, then the money, though still overly expensive, MAY be worthwhile.

Still waiting for students in the UQ/O program to share their stories.

UQ students and UQ/o students seem to have separate classes and courses. Or that's what I've heard.

Whether it's geared towards the USMLE or not, I have yet to hear from the UQ/O students. I do know that they will have a cram course/review course available at UQ for the students right before the USMLE. But if it's geared towards the USMLE, then the money, though still overly expensive, MAY be worthwhile.

Still waiting for students in the UQ/O program to share their stories.

This is a personal opinion but seriously for the kind of monetary difference we are talking about with the two programs you could pay for several Kaplan courses and have much better prep for the USMLE then a cram session.

Now for getting ACGME accredited rotations that's a different story.

This is a personal opinion but seriously for the kind of monetary difference we are talking about with the two programs you could pay for several Kaplan courses and have much better prep for the USMLE then a cram session.

Now for getting ACGME accredited rotations that's a different story.

I think we're getting our wires crossed. You misunderstood my meaning.

I meant that if UQ courses are oriented towards the USMLE (they have the same course structure as Caribbean medical schools) then there may be something in it. I wasn't talking about the cram courses alone. They alone are worth nothing because no matter how good a cram course is, you still need to do a lot of studying on your own, and even then a good cram course like Kaplan will always be better than one clumsily put together by a school new to the USMLE.

But if the curriculum is structured towards taking the USMLE, then accumulated material from starting from the first day of school by its medical students to prepare for the USMLE will be better than any prep course (unless of course, UQ botches that up by not actually doing it well; but, obviously I'm talking about if it's strongly USMLE structured similar to the Caribbean medical schools).

I do agree, however, the ACGME accredited rotations (2 years in the US) will still be the main reason people are attracted to the course.

I'm just trying to make a point that if :

1. UQ not only can send us to the US for ACGME accredited clinical rotations for 2 years, but also:
2. Structure its 2 year curriculum to target and prepare the USMLE like the Caribbean does for its students
3. If the price could be lowered somewhat in the long term (which may be impossible, but let's say suppose it can)
4. Maintain its global status and reputation

If the 4 points as listed above can become true, then I'm sure UQ/O MAY be on par if not better than the Caribbean. At the very least, UQ has way more resourses and a better reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we're getting our wires crossed. You misunderstood my meaning.

I meant that if UQ courses are oriented towards the USMLE (they have the same course structure as Caribbean medical schools) then there may be something in it. I wasn't talking about the cram courses alone. They alone are worth nothing because no matter how good a cram course is, you still need to do a lot of studying on your own, and even then a good cram course like Kaplan will always be better than one clumsily put together by a school new to the USMLE.

But if the curriculum is structured towards taking the USMLE, then accumulated material from starting from the first day of school by its medical students to prepare for the USMLE will be better than any prep course (unless of course, UQ botches that up by not actually doing it well; but, obviously I'm talking about if it's strongly USMLE structured similar to the Caribbean medical schools).

I do agree, however, the ACGME accredited rotations (2 years in the US) will still be the main reason people are attracted to the course.

I'm just trying to make a point that if :

1. UQ not only can send us to the US for ACGME accredited clinical rotations for 2 years, but also:
2. Structure its 2 year curriculum to target and prepare the USMLE like the Caribbean does for its students
3. If the price could be lowered somewhat in the long term (which may be impossible, but let's say suppose it can)
4. Maintain its global status and reputation

If the 4 points as listed above can become true, then I'm sure UQ/O MAY be on par if not better than the Caribbean. At the very least, UQ has way more resourses and a better reputation.

The problem is that by doing all of the above it will in the long term decrease UQ's reputation to that of another diploma mill. I think that the best approach would be to integrate the UQ/Oschner students with the general curriculum but give them access to extra USMLE prep courses and then allow them to do the final 2 years back in the US.

By making UQ more like a caribbean school they really can't justify the extra cost since the Caribbean schools have far more connections in the US and are already proven in getting their students placements.

The problem is that by doing all of the above it will in the long term decrease UQ's reputation in that of another diploma mill. I think that the best approach would be to integrate the UQ/Oschner students with the general curriculum but give them access to extra USMLE prep courses and then allow them to do the final 2 years back in the US.

By making UQ more like a caribbean school they really can't justify the extra cost since the Caribbean schools have far more connections in the US and are already proven in getting their students placements.

But you also said,

"This is a personal opinion but seriously for the kind of monetary difference we are talking about with the two programs you could pay for several Kaplan courses and have much better prep for the USMLE then a cram session."

So, I'm confused. Are prep courses good or bad? :confused:

The class size is about 40 students for UQ/O so I don't think they'll turn into a diploma windmill so long as they increase the admission scores as the years roll by, though that won't happen anytime soon. Because of the cost, (60k~70k per year is quite a lot of money) they still don't have enough students to fill the class. While I do agree that they should not copy the Caribbean completely while leaving the costs that high, I think they also need to integrate some more of the good points (which they've already done with the 2-year ACGME accredited clinical rotations) because UQ/O and Caribbean schools have similar goals: to send students back into the US. So the 2-year clinical rotations and high USMLE scores are essential, since students from either school will be classified as IMGs, but need to participate in the match since it's all they can do.

The program sounds good, but still has a lot of details to work out, I agree. It's far from ideal, but if they can get the costs to lower, integrate the good of the Caribbean while adding some of their own things that the Caribbean cannot match (their global status and reputation, hopefully it won't decline over the years by becoming a diploma windmill), it can help in the long run.

The problem is that by doing all of the above it will in the long term decrease UQ's reputation to that of another diploma mill. I think that the best approach would be to integrate the UQ/Oschner students with the general curriculum but give them access to extra USMLE prep courses and then allow them to do the final 2 years back in the US.

I completely agree, red.

The last thing the school wants is persistent comparisons with Carib schools as a diploma mill. I don't think the school would ever split curriculums for example (one for Australia, one for US), and it realizes that it must support the int'l students better, in particular with better support for the USMLE.

Meanwhile, there's a periodic curriculum review going on where there's been a push (from all directions) to emphasize some of the basic sciences better. Over the past decade, Australian schools had reduced them in order to accommodate the swing towards PBL, earlier clinical training, and increased 'psychosocial' and public health components. Now, after a bit of a nation-wide backlash, the tide is partially swinging back (it's the never-ending balancing act between theoretical and practical training). Incidentally, and conveniently, such a move would bring the UQ curriculum a bit closer to what's expected on the USMLE, making it easier to formally prep for the exam, whether at Oschsner or Brisbane (or Malaysia, or Brunei, or ??).

I think it'll more or less happen. It's just a matter of how soon any changes can be implemented once approved.

But you also said,

"This is a personal opinion but seriously for the kind of monetary difference we are talking about with the two programs you could pay for several Kaplan courses and have much better prep for the USMLE then a cram session."

So, I'm confused. Are prep courses good or bad? :confused:

I was simply referring to your post a few above mine were you talked about the students receiving a cram session before a USMLE exam. All I meant was that for the difference in price between the Oschner and regular UQ program you could afford several Kaplan sessions which would be better then any "cram" session UQ would provide. An example would be that the Oshner program provides Kaplan or other similarly structure courses on campus for it's students...ie something actually taught by USMLE prep specialists...and not something devised by the school.

Also UQ is really between a rock and a hard place here. If they completely revamp the curriculum and make it USMLE based for the Oschner program the main criticism of their current program (less USMLE focused then a Caribbean school) is solved, but then the main criticism of their Oschner program (caribbean diploma mill) becomes valid. Ultimately the only reason that someone from the US would be willing to pay $20 000 US more then say the top 3 caribbean schools it the perceived prestige of UQ vs. a caribbean school. By using caribbean style courses and methods they will ultimately hurt their brand and in the long run will offer nothing more to justify their higher price tag. This may then affect their normal curriculum students as well.

I completely agree, red.

The last thing the school wants is persistent comparisons with Carib schools as a diploma mill. I don't think the school would ever split curriculums for example (one for Australia, one for US), and it realizes that it must support the int'l students better, in particular with better support for the USMLE.

Meanwhile, there's a periodic curriculum review going on where there's been a push (from all directions) to emphasize some of the basic sciences better. Over the past decade, Australian schools had reduced them in order to accommodate the swing towards PBL, earlier clinical training, and increased 'psychosocial' and public health components. Now, after a bit of a nation-wide backlash, the tide is partially swinging back (it's the never-ending balancing act between theoretical and practical training). Incidentally, and conveniently, such a move would bring the UQ curriculum a bit closer to what's expected on the USMLE, making it easier to formally prep for the exam, whether at Oschsner or Brisbane (or Malaysia, or Brunei, or ??).

I think it'll more or less happen. It's just a matter of how soon any changes can be implemented once approved.

Ya I agree, there was an article in the SMH recently about this...so let's hope that it does end up being better for the future medical students.

I can understand what you two are trying to say and it makes sense. I was assuming under the supposed circumstance that it CAN manage to adopt a USMLE-oriented style WHILE keeping its prestige without turning into a diploma windmill. But you're saying it's not possible to do so.

I suppose if it's not possible, then I would rather keep its prestige. The only problem I see is if you let everyone with a 24M in without having a course oriented towards it and expect them to go back to the States, what happens to the USMLE of the students? What good is prestige if your USMLE is horrible? You're paying up to 60, even 70k to attend a school, I'd expect some sort of preparation in the accumulated material (because accumulated material from the start is and will always be better than cram course at the last second), and not a half-@$$ed prep-course.

And international students generally have lower USMLE scores unless it's like the Caribbean or RCSI in Ireland where they're oriented towards the USMLE because the students have to study on their own. And I hope I'm not coming out as biased or harsh, but internationals (including me) usually have lower MCAT scores than average (there ARE exceptions of course), which proves that in general, we're not good at preparing for tests. (yes, me included, I'm not going to front about this)

So my point is, prestige is not the only thing. We also need to prepare the students well. For example, what would you think of a Harvard graduate who flunked the USMLE step 1 three times? Of course, that would be the student's fault and not the school's, but what if 1/3 flunked? 2/3s? That would lean more towards the school.

UQ should do well to make sure their students are well-prepared, too. Because score will correspond with prestige.

That's the only flaw to see.

Glad people are talking about this whole thing. It sounds so exciting to go to Australia, but gotta think about reality. Passing USMLE -- is it possible with the UQ education?

The only problem I see is if you let everyone with a 24M in without having a course oriented towards it and expect them to go back to the States, what happens to the USMLE of the students?

As I've explained a number of times, there's no reason to believe that 24M => you get in.

1) If there's a tie with MCAT, I'm fairly certain GPA still becomes the decider (I'll doublecheck).

2) After much ado about nothing on these forums about whether increasing classes and ridding interviews => lower scores, MCAT scores were shown to have risen (from 28O to 29P).

3) Those who have come here are self-selected, making comparison with any stats of MCAT score predicting USMLE score tenuous at best. So far, there haven't been any large numbers of fails (I still only know of 1 person who ever failed, who retook it, passed, and ended up in California).

Average scores may lower, who knows. But that cannot be inferred. All that matters in the end is whether you can do what it'll take to do well on the USMLE.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can find some postable data. Again.

As I've explained a number of times, there's no reason to believe that 24M => you get in.

I do agree that may not be the case for the regular UQ program, as now that the interview is gone, it has become very popular with people who don't want to interview and just want a simple "we're in or we're not in." instead of a long waiting process. And the places fill up quickly.

As for the how the process works, on paging dr, there have been two theories and none have been proven yet. One theory is that in the beginning during the first rounds, they accept anyone over 8-8-8-M on the MCAT, and after the first round is complete, they rank the remaining applicants for the remaining spots and fill the rest in from top to bottom. The other theory is that they rank the applicants before filling the places.

But you also mentioned previously there's a fairly large standard deviation? Suppose there may be applicants in the 30s, possiblye upper 30s. Then there's also reason to believe that there may be applicants in the lower 20s. Otherwise, the average MCAT score would not be 28~29 (we need lower numbers to balance the higher numbers). Could the fact that there are people in the lower 20s be due to rank or that they accept anyone over 24M? Because I know that GPA is only used as a hurdle and tie-breaker, with the main thing for consideration being the MCAT.

1) If there's a tie with MCAT, I'm fairly certain GPA still becomes the decider (I'll doublecheck).

Yes, of course. It's the case with all schools, not just UQ.

2) After much ado about nothing on these forums about whether increasing classes and ridding interviews => lower scores, MCAT scores were shown to have risen (from 28O to 29P).

See my above points.

3) Those who have come here are self-selected, making comparison with any stats of MCAT score predicting USMLE score tenuous at best. So far, there haven't been any large numbers of fails (I still only know of 1 person who ever failed, who retook it, passed, and ended up in California).

That's a fairly small sample size, though. Although a large portion comes from the North America, it's not the majority (there's the rest of the world to consider). Some choose not to take it, some go elsewhere, some stay in Australia and some return to Canada. And small sample sizes are never accurate due to high possibility of standard deviation (certainly not as accurate as the sample size in the thousands in the United States). And there's also the theory that in UQ and other schools in Australia, only people who are confident in their test taking abilities take the USMLEs OR people who've performed well (except the exceptionally honest people) tell their scores (we all have our pride).

UQ/O is fairly new and I'm hoping to be proven wrong. I seriously do. I'm interested in the program and I'm applying to UQ when ACER opens up along with Sydney. Because UQ is a good school and I want to be convinced it's not heading towards the direction of becoming a diploma windmill with this new program, as you've said.

So if you have data supporting this (statistics, numbers, facts), please share it. I want to see them and be proven wrong to get rid of that nagging feeling I have.

Average scores may lower, who knows. But that cannot be inferred. All that matters in the end is whether you can do what it'll take to do well on the USMLE.

UQ/O is for US citizens only and sends them back with only one goal - to return to America, match, and secure residency. And to do that, one of the most important hurdles is the USMLE. I know that high scores don't necessarily get in, but I also know that you won't get any residency with a terrible score. For programs that sends the students back to the US, half the responsibility is on the school to make sure the students has enough preparation. The other half is the students' own responsibility.

If over half the students cannot tried but failed to get into US residency, then it's the school's fault. If one or two students don't get in, then it's the students own fault or possibly a stroke of bad luck.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can find some postable data. Again.

Please do.

But you also mentioned previously there's a fairly large standard deviation? Suppose there may be applicants in the 30s, possiblye upper 30s. Then there's also reason to believe that there may be applicants in the lower 20s.

Of course there are students accepted with a 24, that's a given. Apologies for the repetition, but again the point is that there's no reason to assume that anyone with a 24 gets in.

Could the fact that there are people in the lower 20s be due to rank or that they accept anyone over 24M? Because I know that GPA is only used as a hurdle and tie-breaker, with the main thing for consideration being the MCAT.

When you have a discrete series of small range to rank, with a cutoff (which happens to be 50%ile for all takers!), you will get many 'ties' at the bottom end. A clipped bell curve should be expected, as should rejections.

That's a fairly small sample size, though. Although a large portion comes from the North America, it's not the majority (there's the rest of the world to consider).

Not sure what you're asserting here, but if you're claiming that most UQ int'ls don't come from N. America, then you would be wrong.

And small sample sizes are never accurate due to high possibility of standard deviation (certainly not as accurate as the sample size in the thousands in the United States). And there's also the theory that in UQ and other schools in Australia, only people who are confident in their test taking abilities take the USMLEs OR people who've performed well (except the exceptionally honest people) tell their scores (we all have our pride).

Yes, small samples, and that self-selection theory is (also) plausible. My point, again, is that there are good counter-arguments to *assuming* things like 'get a 24 and you're in' or 'expect USMLE scores to go down' (akin to earlier *assumptions* shown to be wrong that MCAT scores were dropping, when in fact they had been increasing) -- such *assumptions* don't follow logically, and they don't make much sense when many 24s were rejected when MCAT scores were known to be lower, and USMLE scores (limited as the samples are) say that there has not been a high fail rate.

It makes sense instead to be skeptical. It does not make sense when people ignore the empirical evidence and assume future scores based on something meaningless like class size, or the possibility of self-selection to take the USMLE, while not looking equally at how the same reasoning can lead to arguments for HIGHER scores, which so far, for MCAT at least, has been the case.

I have never said that USMLE (or MCAT) scores will not go down. I am, again, being skeptical of silly assumptions.

Last edited:
Of course there are students accepted with a 24, that's a given. Apologies for the repetition, but again the point is that there's no reason to assume that anyone with a 24 gets in.

I understand that. But I also have no evidence whatsoever to prove or disapprove your theory. I need facts, statistics, and numbers. Or a quote from the admissions committee there.

When you have a discrete series of small range to rank, with a cutoff (which happens to be 50%ile for all takers!), you will get many 'ties' at the bottom end. A clipped bell curve should be expected, as should rejections.

Yes of course - there will be a cluster of people with similar scores and GPA must be used to break ties.

Not sure what you're asserting here, but if you're claiming that most UQ int'ls don't come from N. America, then you would be wrong.

My apologies - I meant people who are planning to return to the United States. I don't count Canadians (unless they're planning to match) or Americans planning on staying in Australia.

Yes, small samples, and that self-selection theory is (also) plausible. My point, again, is that there are good counter-arguments to *assuming* things like 'get a 24 and you're in' or 'expect USMLE scores to go down' (akin to earlier *assumptions* shown to be wrong that MCAT scores were dropping, when in fact they had been increasing) -- such *assumptions* don't follow logically, and they don't make much sense when many 24s were rejected when MCAT scores were known to be lower, and USMLE scores (limited as the samples are) say that there has not been a high fail rate.

The fact that many 24s were rejected is actually pretty strong support for the "rank" theory instead of the 24M and higher automatically accepted.

My apologies once again for this misunderstanding. I'm not saying the scores were dropping. I'm saying that 28~30 is nowhere near American medical schools and although there really is no solid evidence for what I'm saying, observations have been made that since the USMLE and MCAT have similar reasoning and both require a lot of brute memorization, they have strong correlation. Of course, there are people who messed up on the MCAT but get a good score on the USMLE, and vice-versa. There are also people who've improved and there are also people who aren't good at PS or verbal reasoning on the MCAT, but are solid in their clinical sciences and ACE the USMLE.

However, the majority, in fact (you can look up a thread or dig up rather, a thread in the USMLE section where they posted their USMLE and MCAT scores. (Again, this is not solid evidence, but based on observation, which leads to hypothesis, but only experiments can prove or disprove those theories). Again, that would be only an argument I made on observation.

It makes sense instead to be skeptical. It does not make sense when people ignore the empirical evidence and assume future scores based on something meaningless like class size, or the possibility of self-selection to take the USMLE, while not looking equally at how the same reasoning can lead to arguments for HIGHER scores, which so far, for MCAT at least, has been the case.

For now, I just want to observe and see how UQ/O goes. I

I have never said that USMLE (or MCAT) scores will not go down. I am, again, being skeptical of silly assumptions.

MCAT scores are on the rise. I hope the USMLE will be on the rise, too. The only point I'm trying to make is to hope that UQ can make sure the students at least do well on the USMLEs. Because if UQ/O wants to compete with the Caribbean schools (which have been sending people back to the states with high matching rates, particularly the big 4), they'll need something besides prestige and sheer reputation to convince them to pay that extra 20~30k a year for the UQ/O.

Because UQ/O exists to send students back to the United States. And as I've said before (my apologies for my repetition, too), a high USMLE won't necessarily secure you a residency, but I know that a bad USMLE WON'T get you a residency PERIOD.

And so just based on common sense, which is better? A curriculum that spreads out USMLE material and helps students accumulate the material one step at a time ior waiting for the last second for a prep-course that crams all the material at a time?

I'm not saying it should entirely copy the Caribbean. That would be wrong, because they would never be able to compete. UQ/O needs reason to show that the extra 30k is worth it, because reputation can't do much if your USMLE scores don't compare with the Caribbeans. That being said, just good USMLE scores alone won't convince people to choose UQ/o over the Caribbean. They'd need something else, something that only UQ has to offer.

So I'm propose a curriculum that fuses the advantages of UQ and Australia while instilling the USMLE preparation that's been so successful with the Caribbean. Take the good parts from both and fuse it into an ideal course. Then and only then will it convince people that the extra 30k is worth it.

So the only point I'm trying to make is to integrate USMLE material into the curriculum so that we have a solid foundation to make sure that when preparing for the USMLEs, we're not starting from scratch but just reviewing. And also we need UQ/O to give something that only UQ and Australia can offer, something that they can do better than America.

I'm not going to judge about UQ and its admission scores. That wasn't my point and I don't see reason to argue further. My point (as repeatedly stated in the post) is just what is written in bold.

I hope you don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to turn this into an argument. I just want to make a point. That's all.

Peace.

~Raigon

Apologies for taking you to task, Raigon, and point taken.

Apologies for taking you to task, Raigon, and point taken.

No problem, and my apologies for any misunderstandings that I may have caused.

As an update, UQ is about to offer USMLE prep courses for all n. american students. The deal is, the school gives all students access to Kaplan's Qbank and pays tutors to give the courses, then in return after the USMLE is taken, students have a copy of their score report sent to UQ. Seems smart to me, since then UQ has (depersonalized) stats to report to the Stafford folks or for marketing purposes.

No word yet on changes to the science curriculum, though the school's currently finishing up a review and changes to clinical years, so should come shortly after.

Last edited:
I was thinking about applying to the program. I am taking the MCAT in July and need one more point to be able to apply. I was wondering if anyone has heard how many people were selected for the program for the January 2011 application process. I know that they only except so many and am hoping I can apply before the class if full.

Offers went out about a week ago. Remember to apply you also need to have completed your bachelor's as well.

Still no update on the FM rotations though?

As per Pittman's post, following is a link for USMLE preparation, and also an update regarding tuition for the UQ-Ochsner program:

USMLE Preparation - To meet the needs of the cohort of U.S. students as planned, the medical school has instituted and published its USMLE preparation curriculum.

The link for USMLE prep: http://www.mededpath.org/usmle_prep.php

Tuition - The University of Queensland has begun accepting tuition in U.S. dollars.

Tuition for the Class of 2011: US $50,000 per year

You can learn more about the program at mededpath.org

i dont think an average MCAT of 28 one year and an average of 29 the following year actually shows an increase in MCAT. Page 7 of the MCAT Interpretive Manual (2005)states "The standard error of measurement for the total multiple-choice score is 2".

From this, someone scoring 28 would be expected to score between 24 and 32 95% of the time. The precision of this test is too low to discriminate between a 28 and a 29.

i dont think an average MCAT of 28 one year and an average of 29 the following year actually shows an increase in MCAT. Page 7 of the MCAT Interpretive Manual (2005)states "The standard error of measurement for the total multiple-choice score is 2".

From this, someone scoring 28 would be expected to score between 24 and 32 95% of the time. The precision of this test is too low to discriminate between a 28 and a 29.

Sorry Jake, but you're confusing intra-subject standard error with statistics.

Think IQ test, or the point of a backgammon competition being more than a single game...

Sorry Jake, but you're confusing intra-subject standard error with statistics.

Think IQ test, or the point of a backgammon competition being more than a single game...

the whole point of a backgammon competition (or baseball, or basketball, etc. . .) being more than a single game is because one game is unlikely to accurately represent which team is best; winning once doesnt necessarily mean you are better than the other team.

while obviously 28 is higher than 29, the precision doesnt allow the two to be interpreted as different. this is one reason the standard error is included in the MCAT interpretive manual: so admins realize they shouldnt be picking one applicant over another simply cuz they scored 1 or 2 higher than the other.

when you compare 2 figures you have to also take into account the error of each measurement.

i'm not confusing standard error with statistics because standard error is a statistic required to to compare values.

if you give me 2 beakers of water and say one was measured as 101 mL and the other was 100 mL, you'd have to use the same rational. one would have to know the standard error of the measurement to determine if one is actually more than the other.

Cripes.

First of all, the actual claim I was making was that indeed that the *measures* (reflected by the averages of 28 and 29) have increased, which is true. It is not LOWER, and even if the difference were not significant (it is indeed), then one could not argue in any meaningful way that scores (or even values) have lowered, which was the crux of the argument presented.

As to the statistics here, I'll elaborate for you the best I can as someone with a mathematics degree focusing in statistics. First, conceptually:

the whole point of a backgammon competition (or baseball, or basketball, etc. . .) being more than a single game is because one game is unlikely to accurately represent which team is best; winning once doesnt necessarily mean you are better than the other team.

Precisely. One game, due to 'error' (since the game is about 70% luck -- something I know from being a competitive player) is virtually meaningless (similarly meaningless to a single person's IQ score), so you have to play enough games to have the luck 'even out' enough to allow the true measure (skill) to take over. In your simplistic critique, you ignored this. Your flat out assertion (that "the precision of this test is too low to discriminate between a 28 and a 29") demonstrated that you were equating imprecision with statistical significance, as if expected values of 24-32 from a single measure implied averages of 28 and 29 were not statistically different, rather than showing an intuitive understanding of sampling errors. Um, what's missing there?

when you compare 2 figures you have to also take into account the error of each measurement.

Not on the individual level, on the statistical level! While the two are associated, the former reflects the odds an individual measure represents the true value for that individual (in English: a measure of precision), while the latter reflects the standard deviation of error of the sampling distribution (of the 'population' statistics). VERY different beasts.

if you give me 2 beakers of water and say one was measured as 101 mL and the other was 100 mL, you'd have to use the same rational. one would have to know the standard error of the measurement to determine if one is actually more than the other.

I do agree with this conditional, but it's not what I did, nor what you implied. What you have done is to flat out assert that your accounting of the error (at the individual level) means the difference in (statistical, or group) measures is not significant. Saying that shows a lack of understanding of the statistics.

More in next post...

Last edited:
As a chiefly qualitative explanation, to simply matters, consider the following:

Suppose a measure can have three values: 0, 1, or 2. Let's say that for this scenario, someone scores a '1', but that the odds that 1 is the true value (of what you're trying to measure) is only 50%, while that of 0 or 2 is 25% each. This is not unreasonable, as the practical designation of '1' as the score (measure) is based on there being equal probability that the true value is lower or higher, with the highest probability assigned to the score itself in virtually all cases.

As an exercise, draw the discrete series, and draw a normal looking curve through the points (note that in this exercise, to reflect normal use of standard error, your curve will extend beyond the 0 and the 2; and the integral of the curve beyond those cutoffs would in actuality be 5% of the total area under the curve, and that values below 0 would be reflected by a score of '0' and above the 2 be would reflected by a score of '2').

0 (25%)
1 (50%)
2 (25%)

Now, lets say another person scores a '1'. What does the same distribution for the average look like? Well, the possible values are:

0 (must have measures of 0 and 0)
0.5 (0 and 1, or 1 and 0)
1 (0 and 2, 2 and 0, or 1 and 1)
1.5 (1 and 2, or 2 and 1)
2 (2 and 2)

The odds of each are thus:
0 (6.25%)
0.5 (25%)
1 (37.5%)
1.5 (25%)
2 (6.25%)

Do at least a quick check that these values still add up to 100%. Now plot this on the same graph, and again form a curve connecting the points. If it's not yet obvious that the tails are necessarily diminishing, then do the exercise again for 3 measures.

What does this exercise show? That very quickly indeed, the distribution of expected values flattens (noting the tails in particular) as the samples increase and the plot approaches continuity, with the variance of error (as measured by standard errors, where 2SDs => ~95% confidence) necessarily reducing similarly. In other words, to achieve 95% confidence, you have to cut off increasingly longer tails. Note above all that this is NOT a conception of the distribution of scores (the range of MCAT scores) itself, as is sometimes confused, but of the confidence that the measures (average of individual MCAT scores) reflect their true values.

Now, jake, do you want to give a try at quantitatively showing how you've come to the conclusion that 28 and 29 are not statistically different?

Last edited:
Well looks like SOMEONE's been taking statistics. Have to agree with Pitman on this one. I've taken statistics myself, even though I'm still having trouble with ANOVA.

This is quite the new news! I can't believe that UQ/Ochsner has agreed to allow unlimited access for Kaplan's Qbank and its own prep course. This is definitely going to draw a lot of students. Would've drawn me in had I not already been accepted and attending Flinders.

It's definitely good news though. It's going in the right direction, though just a prep course is not enough. The curriculum still needs to start preparing students for the USMLE right from the first year rather than a cram course near the USMLE test date.

Reactions: 1 user
you clearly think that because you have a math degree with a concentration in stats you are right and that you must know more about stats than some random person on the internet. i could tell you how my degree is clearly more relevant to a discussion about the reliability of an MCAT score than a stats degree, but i know it is not proof of anything.

But whatever, yes, the average has increased, and you could show it is a significant increase if you had access to the actual data. but those numbers are clearly rounded. If you had large enough sample size you could detect a significant difference between 28.49 and 28.51 but it doesn't mean it is a meaningful difference.

my point is that a difference of 1 is probably not meaningful. The manual itself clearly explains a total score difference of 4 is unlikely to be meaningful, and yes it uses the terms precision and standard error. Sure, you can say they are wrong cuz you are mr. Stats know it all, but i'll still trust them over you. And i've taken my share of stat classes too, including at upper level. But i can admit that i haven't had to use most of it since and thus have forgotten much of it though i got all A's. However, I can confidently extrapolate this to at least one comparison of two groups. If I have one group of people that all scored 28, their average is 28, and another group that all scored 29, their average is 29. Based on nothing more than what the manual says, it is clear there is no meaningful difference between the two groups.

I'm sure the next high school stats lesson will follow this but i have better things to do than read it.

you clearly think...

my point is that a difference of 1 is probably not meaningful. The manual itself clearly explains a total score difference of 4 is unlikely to be meaningful, and yes it uses the terms precision and standard error [...] I can confidently extrapolate this to at least one comparison of two groups. If I have one group of people that all scored 28, their average is 28, and another group that all scored 29, their average is 29. Based on nothing more than what the manual says, it is clear there is no meaningful difference between the two groups.

You clearly still don't understand the criticism I had with your assertion, nor anything of the explanation I gave.

Last edited:
You clearly still don't understand the issue I was addressing, nor anything of the explanation I gave.

Eh... sometimes it's best to let things be.

We have to admit that we all have our faults. Jake is a jerk at times. You're a know-it-all sometimes and I'm a sore loser and an idiot most of the time who makes things up just so I won't lose. But letting something like this escalate to something more than just an argument on the internet is not worth it. So guys, just give it a rest.

UQ is a good school in my opinion, even if I don't agree with everything it does. And if you really believe this school is a good school (or not), let it sit a few more years and time itself will reveal a lot more accurate samples and show how great UQ is (or not).

You clearly still don't understand the criticism I had with your assertion, nor anything of the explanation I gave.

clearly . . .

I mean ditto.

Now, lets say another person scores a '1'. What does the same distribution for the average look like? Well, the possible values are:

if a person takes the test once and scores a '1', there is no distribution because n = 1.

what you are saying would make sense if we were comparing the mean score of a distribution of scores of one person with the mean score of a distribution of scores of another person, but we are not. we are comparing the mean of single scores of different people. we dont have a sample distribution from any one person, we have single scores. thus, if all in group A score 28 in a single sitting, their mean is 28, and 95% of the time they would test, were they to test repeatedly, they would be expected to score from 24 to 32. this applies to everyone in the group no matter how big the group is. if all in group B score a 29, their mean is 29, and 95% of the time they would test, were they to test repeatedly, they would be expected to score from 25 to 33. again, this applies to everyone in the group no matter how big the group because we have only a single score from each, we don't know what their true average would be, which is exactly why this is a measure of precision.

if you are still not sure go look up the MCAT interpretive manual. if you are still unsure i suggest you pick up a decent text on psychological testing. doing so will make it clear that reliability, precision, and standard error are used in describing the same thing in the conext of psychometrics.

jake, nothing you have just stated is different than what I had understood you to have been saying.

The fact remains that the error from (non-systematic, aka standard) intra-subject variance in comparing independent groups (since we are not here discussing proper method for assessing treatment effects on the same subjects!) reduces as group size increases. Meanwhile, constant systematic error does not come into play at all, and subject-dependent systematic error is treated like non-systematic error, as per below.

First, as my text in front of me (Colton, T.C. (Harvard, Darmouth), "Statistics in Medicine", 1st Ed., p. 42-3) emphasizes in the conclusion of its discussion of inter- versus intra-subject variance, in its introduction to descriptive statistics, and referring to the goal of assessing the significance of a difference in two independent groups:

Often an investigator obtains replicate observations...and the reader is often misled into believing there are many more observations than there actually are...The most important item regarding sample size is the number of different individuals and not the total number of observations. [his emphasis]
In other words, for a given sample size repeated trials on the same subjects do NOT help make such comparisons. Further:
A moral to be derived from [the] example is that care should be taken to avoid being misled by great masses of observations. Upon close scrutiny, these masses may often vanish. The "great mass" may merely consist of many replicate measurements on a handful of subjects, which would not help [us] address whether the comparison groups are different.

Further (for but one more easily verifiable source), "Summarizing Data: PRECISION OF MEASUREMENT" (http://www.sportsci.org/resource/stats/precision.html):

...That random [non-systematic] variation is the typical error. We quantify it as the standard deviation in each subject's measurements between tests, after any shifts in the mean have been taken into account. The official name is the within-subject standard deviation, or the standard error of measurement.
and...
Systematic change is less of a worry for researchers performing a controlled study, because only the relative change in means for both groups provides evidence of an effect [!]. Even so, the magnitude of the systematic change is likely to differ between individuals, and these individual differences make the test less reliable by increasing the typical error.
...i.e., subject-dependent systematic variance is then dealt with as random variation:
[Random change in the mean] arises purely from the typical error, which is like a randomly selected number added to or subtracted from the true value every time you take a measurement. The random change is smaller with larger sample sizes, because the random errors from all the measurements contributing to the mean tend to cancel out more. [emphasis added]

Your suggestion to have repeated trials on the same subjects therefore serves (in our context) only to help ascertain the intra-subject component of variance, but that has already been determined and reported, and is dealt with as per above.

This is my last post on the subject, as Raigon is entirely correct in his assessment.

Last edited:
Pitman, Raigon - you guys clearly know your stuff really well. Jaketheory is a dunderhead who just wont get this stuff. I'm sure both of you have better things to do with your time, though honestly, I have enjoyed the wonderful refresher on stats.

Jake - I would assert that, in fact, YES - because he has a background in math with a focus in statistics AND a high level stats book in front of him he is QUITE reasonable in asserting his correctness. Well, that and the fact that he IS correct. That tidbit doesn't hurt either. If you don't get it, then either accept it or shut up. You bring forth no cogent analysis or points and are wasting everyone's time.

Sorry, boy's gotta learn. Next thing you know he'll be mouthing off to an attending about a course of treatment for a patient. Then he'd REALLY get it :-D

. . . Jaketheory is a dunderhead who just wont get this stuff. . ."

pretty sure name calling and personal attacks are against forum rules.

and why would you post this now when the last post was over 2 months ago. that last post was not mine, as i had no interest in discussing it further. and yet 2 months later, your attacking me as if i won't let it go.

so what is your deal?

A 28 or 29 its still lower than most other grad entry programs in Australia especially for Flinders and USyd. The Ochsner program is highly flawed and highly misleading, they do not seem to be reminding its applicants that it is a foreign medical school even though 2 whole years are in the US. I still seriously would recommend anyone considering Australia whose primary goal is to practice in the US or Canada to consider DO schools instead. Although there is a difference in educational philosophy, the convenience of completing your education in the US will make life a lot easier, that and the not so great exchange rate these days makes it a better option.

Last edited:
The Ochsner program is highly flawed and highly misleading, they do not seem to be reminding its applicants that it is a foreign medical school even though 2 whole years are in the US.
um, UQ states that grads get their degree from UQ. It cannot be more obvious than that.

Those who wish to read about the actual issues that current Ochsner students have should read those posts, from those who know something about the program.

A 28 or 29 its still lower than most other grad entry programs in Australia especially for Flinders and USyd.
And you are basing this on...nothing.

PacificBlue, as you continue to assert meaningless drivel as fact, I will continue to point out that you are asserting meaningless drivel.

Well its clear Ochsner is a money making program for UQ. I don't like it, it makes the school look like a Caribbean diploma mill, and there are others who feel that way.

And on the webpage for the program, they put Australia under UQ and then United States under Ochsner. It just looks kind of fishy if you ask me. There is a company in the US handling recruiting and marketing the program, its smacks of diploma mill just like those island schools and those Eastern Euro medical schools that advertise to students.

Monash has a campus in Malaysia but that is a totally different thing and has a real mission.

Last edited:
The Ochsner program is highly flawed and highly misleading, they do not seem to be reminding its applicants that it is a foreign medical school even though 2 whole years are in the US.

in my opinion, anyone applying to the UQ Ochsner program thinking it is a US medical school has no right to be a doctor. UQ shouldn't have to 'remind' applicants.

in my opinion, anyone applying to the UQ Ochsner program thinking it is a US medical school has no right to be a doctor. UQ shouldn't have to 'remind' applicants.

Well I find their marketing to be shady. And anyway I did the smart thing and applied as a local so I did not wind up paying exorbitant fees. In case you didn't know there are many US medical schools opening up and residency positions are stagnant or being cut, that means its going to be extremely hard to get a residency as an IMG in a few years.

Well its clear Ochsner is a money making program for UQ. I don't like it . . .

all international places for degree programs in Australia, not just for medicine, are sources of revenue for Australian universities. education forms a large part of the Australian GDP. and back when full fee undergraduate places where available for locals (including grad-entry medicine), the fees charged for those local spots where higher than the sum of the student contributions and government contributions for the commonwealth supported places (non-full fee places). thus the universities were gaining revenue for even local students. the one program i know of that didn't was Uni Notre Dame; they felt student shouldnt have to pay more. of course, they no longer have full fee undergrad places now though.