Options after leaving residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyleo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was recently dismissed from my program halfway through PGY2 year in FM this month for not passing Step 3. I am retaking it in April, but I was thinking of doing SOAP for PGY1 FM spots. I'm an IMG, on J1 visa. I'm so confused about the process and was wondering if I am allowed to repeat PGY1 in Family Medicine on a J1 visa. I haven't really heard back from programs for PGY2 spots; I think it has a lot to do with my dismissal.
Do we get only a fixed amount of funding per year? Have I already used up mine? Can I apply to PGY1 spots again in FM or only PGY2 spots?
Would appreciate any advice.
I'm very desperate.
Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Mostly, no you cannot apply for an FM PGY-1 position. It has nothing to do with funding (which can cause some problems) and everything to do with your visa.

On a J visa, you are not allowed to repeat a PGY year at the same level unless you require remediation.

It's here: EVSP: General Requirements.
1709176031919.png

So you are allowed to apply for a PGY-1 position in a new field (which you are allowed to do once, prior to the end of your PGY-2). Or you can apply for a PGY-2 position although your visa will only allow 6 months of PGY-2 time (although I expect a PD could label this remediation without great issue). Since you satisfactorily completed your PGY-1, there isn't any good way to claim you need remediation of it.

Even more complicated is the fact that now that your position is terminated, your J visa is not valid. Have you left the US? if not, then you're technically in violation of your J visa, and that can get your visa revoked.

It's a very tough spot.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Yes, I left the country. Thank you.
One of the reasons for my dismissal now instead of keeping me till end of pgy2 was that I can repeat pgy2 with another program once I pass boards and I will still have all of my PGY2 funding. That's what I was told by my program. I don't know what to think now. This has been a terrifying experience without much support from my previous program.
Thanks though for your help!

You can repeat PGY2 with another program IF there is a program that has an open spot and wants to take the chance on you. That's not a given. It is unfortunate that your program did not allow you to have another try at it.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, I left the country. Thank you.
One of the reasons for my dismissal now instead of keeping me till end of pgy2 was that I can repeat pgy2 with another program once I pass boards and I will still have all of my PGY2 funding. That's what I was told by my program. I don't know what to think now. This has been a terrifying experience without much support from my previous program.
Thanks though for your help!
Tough situation. I’m definitely rooting for you!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

I was recently dismissed from my program halfway through PGY2 year in FM last month for not passing comlex level 3. I am retaking it in April, but I am wondering what my options are at this point.

My goal is to pass level 3, but if I don't get into another program, can I still become fully licensed and if so, can I technically practice somewhere??

I have a lot of red flags/barriers to my application like being a DO, history of board failures, being dismissed from my program for not passing boards , needing a visa etc.

Is there anything else to do besides residency? I am very doubtful that programs will accept my application as I haven't been getting any positive feedback from the few programs I found FM PGY2 vacancies in for the past 2 months. I will keep trying to get in somewhere every year (I won't ever give up on being a physician), but I do need a job to survive and to pay my debts. I applied for PGY1 vacancies across the country, but was unsuccessful.

I am not really sure what to do with a DO degree and a year and a half of residency under my belt at this point....

Am I qualified for any specific kind of work? I have heard mentions of consulting. Can anyone speak on this?

I would appreciate any resources or guidance...

Thank you.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
The big problem is going to be a work visa. You had a J visa, so the 2 year HRR has attached. You won't qualify for any work visa in the US until you stay out of the US for 2 years -- and you must be in your home country (not a 3rd country). Non clinical positions won't qualify for J visas (the only visa you can get now), and will be a challenge to get sponsorship for an H (although not impossible). If you're from Canada or Mexico, that opens the option of a TN visa which can't be used for medicine but might be used for something else.

My heart goes out to you.

You asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago, so I have merged your active threads. I worry that your visa has you in a very bad situation, but if there is a path forward I think it’s helpful to have all of the information in a single thread.

Reactions: 1 users
The big problem is going to be a work visa. You had a J visa, so the 2 year HRR has attached. You won't qualify for any work visa in the US until you stay out of the US for 2 years -- and you must be in your home country (not a 3rd country). Non clinical positions won't qualify for J visas (the only visa you can get now), and will be a challenge to get sponsorship for an H (although not impossible). If you're from Canada or Mexico, that opens the option of a TN visa which can't be used for medicine but might be used for something else.
Thank you for the quick reply! I spoke with EVSP and they said that the two-year home requirement is only after you complete the educational training. Since my training was interrupted, I can still reapply this year for J1 without issues. The only restriction is that it has to be progressive training so PGY2 in FM and onwards. It can be PGY1 in another specialty though since it's a different specialty. I hope this helps anyone who is browsing this thread and is in a similar situation as me in the future.

Last edited: