Options Following PGY-2 Residency Exit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slyfox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After lurking the sdn message boards for threads from people in similar positions to myself, I thought I'd ask for some specific advice. To keep it short, I was a family medicine resident for two years (2017-2019) before leaving after my second year due to help take care of my terminally ill father. Since then, I have re-applied to residency but unfortunately did not match. I currently have my medical license in the state I reside (TN), and perform medicare evaluations. I am currently looking but having trouble finding other clinical options to practice as a licensed physician before I eventually reapply to residency with a stronger resume with more clinical experience. Any thoughts? While I don't expect to make an attending salary without being board certified, I am not looking for unpaid or marginally paid positions, as I have a family to support and medical loans to pay off. Any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

As you probably already know, most clinics that participate in insurance plans are going to require board certification. I have seen state prison positions open in various states that do not require BC. Since you are re-applying to primary care, I'm assuming you're wanting a job that allows you to gain experience in that. Other options are veteran disability exams. That can help put food on the table but won't necessarily take your resume to the next level. 1-2 body parts pays about $125 per exam, 3-5 pays $250, etc. Last I heard there was a good demand for this, but it requires you have an office space available to you. I get emails from TBD Communications from time to time about these gigs.

After lurking the sdn message boards for threads from people in similar positions to myself, I thought I'd ask for some specific advice. To keep it short, I was a family medicine resident for two years (2017-2019) before leaving after my second year due to help take care of my terminally ill father. Since then, I have re-applied to residency but unfortunately did not match. I currently have my medical license in the state I reside (TN), and perform medicare evaluations. I am currently looking but having trouble finding other clinical options to practice as a licensed physician before I eventually reapply to residency with a stronger resume with more clinical experience. Any thoughts? While I don't expect to make an attending salary without being board certified, I am not looking for unpaid or marginally paid positions, as I have a family to support and medical loans to pay off. Any help would be appreciated
Have you spoken to the residency you were previously in to see if they are open to taking you back, maybe as a PGY-2, to finish out your residency?

Reactions: 3 users
Have you spoken to the residency you were previously in to see if they are open to taking you back, maybe as a PGY-2, to finish out your residency?
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Reactions: 1 users
Insurance medical case review might also be an option without board certification -- although it won't help build your clinical experience cred.

Reactions: 1 user
Could apply for occupational medicine residency

Reactions: 2 users
As you probably already know, most clinics that participate in insurance plans are going to require board certification. I have seen state prison positions open in various states that do not require BC. Since you are re-applying to primary care, I'm assuming you're wanting a job that allows you to gain experience in that. Other options are veteran disability exams. That can help put food on the table but won't necessarily take your resume to the next level. 1-2 body parts pays about $125 per exam, 3-5 pays $250, etc. Last I heard there was a good demand for this, but it requires you have an office space available to you. I get emails from TBD Communications from time to time about these gigs.
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if there are any disability gigs like that in my region for sure, I've also been in contact with a recruiter for a state prison so I'm hoping that will be an option for sure

I have spoken to them about it, looks like this is no longer an option.

Urgent care is often looking for moonlighters. I did moonlighting with urgent care with nothing but an internship under my belt for about 3 years, and was making about $100/hour. I practiced in Florida

Could apply for occupational medicine residency
I may be doing this next application season, along with preventive medicine, and perhaps FM as well
Urgent care is often looking for moonlighters. I did moonlighting with urgent care with nothing but an internship under my belt for about 3 years, and was making about $100/hour. I practiced in Florida
Where did you find these oppurtunities? I've done several searches for urgent care jobs in my state (TN), and every position seems to state BC/BE is a necessary qualification. I would love to do some urgent care work

I may be doing this next application season, along with preventive medicine, and perhaps FM as well

Where did you find these oppurtunities? I've done several searches for urgent care jobs in my state (TN), and every position seems to state BC/BE is a necessary qualification. I would love to do some urgent care work
Maybe I got lucky. I knew another guy doing it so he gave me their point of contact. I’d search local urgent care facilities and contact their office manager/physician recruiter

You can also work for Indian Health Service. One of my friends is doing quite well (~210k plus benefits) working for them. The benefits are great since one is working for the Feds

I think you usually need hospital privileges for that & it would be difficult to get without Board-eligible license

actually, I know of a few residency drop outs who are doing wound care in outpatient wound centers or home visits. No hospital privileges required. They just send patients to the ER if it requires admission or a big debridement.

Reactions: 3 users
There is a poster who does wound care after not completing residency who apparently is doing very well financially. He has posted a bit about his situation over the years.

You could also just open up shop and have a cash based outpatient practice.

I’d still contact them anyway. Plenty of dumb recruiters don’t understand the language and will very often take someone after an intern year. Particularly after two years of FP residency.

Wound care seems like a great option..there are a few big companies that operate on the national level and unfortunately one doesn’t have any job openings in my vicinity, while the other one just filled a role in my area (Nashville, TN). I’m definitely keeping an eye out for these jobs though

There are options. The ultimate objective though should be to get back into residency and obtain board certification in something. I voluntarily left residency just under 2 years into it due to burnout (some outside circumstances played a role too). After I took some time to get it back together and figure out what I actually wanted I was able to get a medical license. I found a job at a men's concierge clinic making $200k. Left that job after 1.5 yrs for the one I'm at now which is a physical therapy and rehab clinic where I've now been for 1.5 years. It's a clinic that caters mostly to personal injury cases and most of the billing goes on a lien that's paid by the attorneys when the cases are settled, so no insurance thus no BC required. I make $225k per year working around 30 hours per week with full benefits. With those hours I had a little free-time so I also opened my own boutique wellness and weight loss clinic last year after receiving certifications in it (paid several thousand for all that CME). By boutique, I mean no employees, just me and my wife in a 1 room office space we rent in a co-working space. We originally were open 16 hours per week but I'm tired of working 6 days a week so we are changing to Friday hours only. After overhead, we net around $15k/month pre-tax from this side gig so we are doing well financially. The PT and Rehab clinic has given me good experience that relates to occupational medicine (lots of impairment ratings, fitness for duty exams, MSK injuries out the wazoo) and so I will be applying to Occ-Med this cycle. If I match, I'm sure my family and friends will think I'm crazy for giving up $33k/month to go back to residency for a couple of years, but they also don't understand the importance of board certification to long term job stability. If the PT clinic I work for went under, if my wellness clinic dried up, if the state I'm in suddenly decided that intern year isn't enough anymore to grant an unrestricted medical license, then I'd be up the creek so to speak. I lucked into this role with the PT clinic and they have been amazing to work for. I doubt I'd get this lucky again.

Reactions: 4 users