Ophthalmology's Lead is Shrinking (prev. Radiology is in our Rear-View Mirror)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know the feeling.. Day 1 is over and I got nothing so far.... nausea, vomiting, diarrhea is all hitting me at once.

No offers, or nothing you like?

Members don't see this ad.

I know the feeling.. Day 1 is over and I got nothing so far.... nausea, vomiting, diarrhea is all hitting me at once.

Nothing??

There are >300 spots, what's the deal?

I'm going to get flamed for this, and I'm ready, but you know, it really, really makes me mad that FMGs who are already trained in other areas flood our FP residency programs for the opportunity to make more money. Is it really their dream to do family medicine? Somehow, I really don't think so.

:mad:

Grrrrrrr.

I'm still pulling for you, FB.

There should be some way to make sure our grads that work so hard in the US system to have first dibs.

It's called Step II practical :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know what to say.... Honestly... I dont even know how to keep the chin up... One program called me back and said they LOVED my CV with the insane number of publications and the excellent LoRs... but they wanted me to have clinical experience in the US... I'm like...err.. you want me to have a residency before i start residency? (yes actually called me back to say no we dont want you, well at least they called me back to break my heart better than not calling me back at all)

I could go on and give more horror stories but airing dirty laundry is just too much for me right now. Tomorrow is day 2.

PS: There was supposed to be 300 open positions but the beginning of the day there were only 145 or so. Telling me that deals were made the day before when the match was announced. Not surprised, i think it happened last year too when i was couple matching.

No offers, or nothing you like?

FB,

Try for the prelim surgery positions too... I know some people who went this route and ended up getting into their desired specialty the following year.

FP

FB,

Try for the prelim surgery positions too... I know some people who went this route and ended up getting into their desired specialty the following year.

FP

Funny, I actually did.. got 1 reply prelim surgery... got 1 reply.. then no reply... It's odd to see more prelim surgery openings than FM..

Well day 2 ended.. nothing.

BTW, if some kind soul out there knows an open spot.. i would be eternally grateful for the tip. (Really getting exhausted now..)

Well day 2 ended.. nothing.

BTW, if some kind soul out there knows an open spot.. i would be eternally grateful for the tip. (Really getting exhausted now..)

Sorry FB, if it's any consolation my hubby didn't find one either and he's a US grad. If you need to do clinicals in the US, supposedly on findaresident you can sign up to do observe-ships (I don't think you get paid for these though).

Sorry FB, if it's any consolation my hubby didn't find one either and he's a US grad. If you need to do clinicals in the US, supposedly on findaresident you can sign up to do observe-ships (I don't think you get paid for these though).

Yup, kinda F-ed up if you ask me.

I am just amazed at the amount of applicants.... truly amazed.. they must let anyone get a visa now a days.

Members don't see this ad :)
mban1568l.jpg

Hmm... Lack of sleep continues. Walking Zombie now a days..

This is to celebrate Faebinder's new gig. :):thumbup:

[YOUTUBE]zFvAGSgLiEA[/YOUTUBE]

what is faebs new gig?

Speaking of poo...

The Bristol Stool Scale was developed by K. W. Heaton and S. J. Lewis at the University of Bristol and was first published in the Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology in 1997. The form of the stool depends on the time it spends in the colon. I am not making this up.

300px-Bristol_Stool_Chart.png

On a related note, we might as well mention the famous flatulence scale from the Merck Manual, 14th Edition:

Flatulence, which can cause great psychosocial distress, is unofficially described according to its salient characteristics:

(1) the "slider" (crowded elevator type) , which is released slowly and noiselessly, sometimes with devastating effect;

(2) the open sphincter, or "pooh" type, which is said to be of higher temperature and more aromatic;

(3) the staccato or drumbeat type, pleasantly passed in privacy; and

(4) the "bark" type (described in a personal communication) is characterized by a sharp exclamatory eruption that effectively interrupts (and often concludes) conversation. Aromaticity is not a prominent feature. Rarely, this usually distressing symptom has been turned to advantage, as with a Frenchman referred to as "Le Petomane," who became affluent as an effluent performer who played tunes with the gas from his rectum on the Moulin Rouge stage.

Source: http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec02/ch008/ch008d.html

It's true, I guess...everything comes down to poo. ;)

Kent, you're being called out in the EM forum, you gonna take that from SoCute? I mean, she's scary, but come on!

Kent, you're being called out in the EM forum, you gonna take that from SoCute? I mean, she's scary, but come on!

What, she expects me to post in her random thread when she won't even post in mine?!?

I'm ignoring her, since she refuses to use the baby seal avatar I sent her. It's much cuter than that puppy with no legs. :smuggrin:

seal2.jpg

What, she expects me to post in her random thread when she won't even post in mine?!?

Yeah, what's up with that? Which forum needs more action huh? We all know the answer to that.

I'm ignoring her, since she refuses to use the baby seal avatar I sent her. It's much cuter than that puppy with no legs. :smuggrin:

I don't know, it's a toss-up.

seal2.jpg

a) The seal has no legs either!
b) Ummm...someone threatened to post a picture of a club if I made that my avatar!!!

But I'll consider it :p

PS - I'm currently on my FM rotation (first of 3rd year and happy as a clam?!?!)

I picked up a fellowship year in Colorectal Surgery. I am becoming the Lord of Colonoscopies and the Master of Rectal Ultrasound. With my Anal Manometry, I will check out the integrity of your pooper... May your sphincter be strong, young Anal-in Skywalker.

I picked up a fellowship year in Colorectal Surgery. I am becoming the Lord of Colonoscopies and the Master of Rectal Ultrasound. With my Anal Manometry, I will check out the integrity of your pooper... May your sphincter be strong, young Anal-in Skywalker.

Surgery? :eek:

Bump, looks like Kent's keeping up with me post-wise!!

What about the plush version of Mr. Hanky? ;)

MrHanky.jpg

I just finished medicine, and my first month of intern year, and I'm so tired I could cry. I seriously needed the laugh. :)

I :love: Mr. Hanky. Heading to Blockbuster to rent Team America again. It's that kind of night. And a six pack of Lone Star. ;)

Actually, Mr. Hanky is the kind of between #2 and #3.

On that note, I should mention that I have somehow become very adept at attracting patients who need rectal exams, and/or managing to ask the right questions to even those who don't to corner myself into having to do them.

WHY do I ask 60 year old men about nocturia? WHY WHY WHY???

WHY do I ask 60 year old men about nocturia? WHY WHY WHY???

Reminds me of that old joke:

Elderly male patient: "Doctor, you have to help me...I urinate every morning at eight o'clock."

Doctor: "What's so bad about that?"

Patient: "I don't get up until nine."

*Ba-dum-BUM!* ;)

It appears that SoCuteMD has slowed down. I'm only seven posts behind her now. ;)

""There are >300 spots, what's the deal?

I'm going to get flamed for this, and I'm ready, but you know, it really, really makes me mad that FMGs who are already trained in other areas flood our FP residency programs for the opportunity to make more money. Is it really their dream to do family medicine? Somehow, I really don't think so.

Grrrrrrr.

I'm still pulling for you, FB.""

keep everyone posted! has to be some kind of reason why you are not getting anything, this is entertaining.....:hardy::hardy: Dont worry theres always next year, and then the year after that, and then so on lol....... thats just hilarious, anytime that any little thing goes wrong here on these forums, it always comes down to -- DARN FMGS!!!!! ha ha ha

Reminds me of that old joke:

Elderly male patient: "Doctor, you have to help me...I urinate every morning at eight o'clock."

Doctor: "What's so bad about that?"

Patient: "I don't get up until nine."

*Ba-dum-BUM!* ;)

:laugh:

See, I am posting on your random thread as requested, KentW!

I don't know if I approve of all this poo talk, however :thumbdown: