Ophthalmology's Lead is Shrinking (prev. Radiology is in our Rear-View Mirror)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Page 6!

Members don't see this ad.

Ha, Ha, claimed a page in your own thread!

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten medical lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my on-call room door.
`'Tis some nurse,' I muttered, `tapping at my on-call room door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ever think of a question that you don't really want to know the answer to? Like, who keeps stealing the big tubes of KY jelly from my exam rooms...and why?

Maybe I'm just not prescribing enough Premarin cream...? :scared:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Of course, I am still applying in EM, however

So I can only make guest appearances...

That flashback to this year's match scared the bejeezus outta me. I can't believe FB didn't match when he's so funny (should have applied EM?). Better run off and work on my application! :scared:

So I can only make guest appearances...

Yeah, it's hard being a split personality between FM and EM, but I manage with moderate medication

Yeah, it's hard being a split personality between FM and EM, but I manage with moderate medication

Wait a minute, you're not actually considering FM are you? :scared:

other than FM/EM programs, of course

Not that there is anything wrong with thinking about or actually pursuing a career in FM...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait a minute, you're not actually considering FM are you? :scared:

I don't know what I want anymore...I'm leaning EM because I don't think I enjoy the chronic managment issues and I like dealing with acute problems and small procedures. You can actually do all of this in FM as well as EM...they are more alike than people like to say ;)

other than FM/EM programs, of course

that would be ideal, but since there's less than 3 programs in the country and it's an extra 2 years...this is unlikely for me.

regardless, I still like this forum and this thread so will continue posting here no matter what I choose (if nothing else, than to defend FM against the crap that flies around every once in a while)

I don't know what I want anymore...I'm leaning EM because I don't think I enjoy the chronic managment issues and I like dealing with acute problems and small procedures. You can actually do all of this in FM as well as EM...they are more alike than people like to say ;)

This is true, FM is very similar to EM in terms of variety, and the first time I saw a digital block was in FM. I just wanted more diagnosis and less continuity because I could never remember the wife and kids' names, etc. Plus I would get attached - can't imagine losing a patient after 20 yrs :(

Urgent care might be for you. There are a number of FPs who work in the minor care side of the ER at our hospital. They see some interesting stuff, and the pace is steady but not wacky crazy like it is on the big ER side.

The thing that's disturbing me a bit about the big ER right now is how little we actually do for the majority of patients (and how many come right back because they use the EPs as their PCP). It's great when you get a real case and really do something like find a PE or appendicitis or MI. But I would say a good 75% of what I've seen could be easily managed in urgent care or at the clinic.

If you are good with that, as most EPs seem to be, then it's a great gig.

that would be ideal, but since there's less than 3 programs in the country and it's an extra 2 years...this is unlikely for me.

Could be a relatively easy match, though, compared to most EM programs. Christiana Care, in Wilmington, DE (the only combined FM/EM program in the 2007 Match, if memory serves) went unfilled.

This is true, FM is very similar to EM in terms of variety, and the first time I saw a digital block was in FM. I just wanted more diagnosis and less continuity because I could never remember the wife and kids' names, etc. Plus I would get attached - can't imagine losing a patient after 20 yrs :(

I think we share the same interests, not surprising :thumbup:

Urgent care might be for you. There are a number of FPs who work in the minor care side of the ER at our hospital. They see some interesting stuff, and the pace is steady but not wacky crazy like it is on the big ER side.

The thing that's disturbing me a bit about the big ER right now is how little we actually do for the majority of patients (and how many come right back because they use the EPs as their PCP). It's great when you get a real case and really do something like find a PE or appendicitis or MI. But I would say a good 75% of what I've seen could be easily managed in urgent care or at the clinic.

If you are good with that, as most EPs seem to be, then it's a great gig.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment.

Off topic (if possible in this thread :laugh:), but what rotation are you on sophie, to be working 9-5?

Off topic (if possible in this thread :laugh:), but what rotation are you on sophie, to be working 9-5?

If it wasn't off-topic, it wouldn't belong here!

I'm actually doing my EM rotation (note "ER Holiday")...it's actually not 9-5, I've been doing shifts at different times--day, night, weekend, weekday--just to see what it's like. Very flexible schedule--this is one nice thing about the ED.

I call it a holiday because there's no call, and at our program, we basically just see patients, present, discuss plan, do procedures, then on to the next one. It's a little weird, kind of like being a 3rd year medical student again, but I'm kind of enjoying it. It's a nice break from responsibility. ;)

If it wasn't off-topic, it wouldn't belong here!

I'm actually doing my EM rotation (note "ER Holiday")...it's actually not 9-5, I've been doing shifts at different times--day, night, weekend, weekday--just to see what it's like. Very flexible schedule--this is one nice thing about the ED.

I call it a holiday because there's no call, and at our program, we basically just see patients, present, discuss plan, do procedures, then on to the next one. It's a little weird, kind of like being a 3rd year medical student again, but I'm kind of enjoying it. It's a nice break from responsibility. ;)

That's what I thought, but I was trying to reconcile the "ER holiday" with 9-5 and it didn't add up for me.

oh yeah, and third year is NO holiday :thumbdown: