OMFS 2010 Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahhhh, SDN...take everything with a grain of salt unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad.

i hate it when some idiot (your grammar is terrible) dental student expresses his thoughts on whether a program is "good" or not. I feel relieved that you've "heard good things" about UConn and Case Western. Is Case a good program if you want to do radical neck dissections? Probably not. But if your interested in cosmetics, the PD completed a fellowship in cosmetics, so you'll get more exposure than other places. What about Carle for Cosmetics? No, but the PD did a two year fellowship in Oncology and Microvascular surgery with Ord. So unless your at the program living the lifestyle, shut up.

"your" is not the same as "you're." maybe you shouldn't start talking about another person's grammar. and your whole post seems to contradict itself - you essentially agreed to what i said about Case and on top of that you mis-"heard" about them not having a head&neck guy. so i won't even bother calling you an idiot.

my whole point with my original post is that "very impressive" seems a bit over the top esp. when comparing to how the Pacific students did this year. nevertheless it's great that all of them matched.

Last edited:
I'm not an Pacific student but I think they did an impressive job. I wouldn't consider none of the above schools spectacular except for maybe Emory & UConn.

UCLA x 2 -- inbreeding, not full-scope, country-club that many students want to go to (impressive in a way, i guess)
UCSF x 2 -- program undergoing major transition (PD and Chair both stepping down); no one wanted to go there (2 unmatched positions)
USC (6-year) -- self-taught program (let's not kid ourselves here); not good
Emory (6-year) -- great, busy
Case Western -- heard it's good
UConn (6-year) -- heard good things
BU --busy, easy to get into (due to the fact that residents have to pay tuition), fairly good 4-yr program

You sound like you know a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an Pacific student but I think they did an impressive job. I wouldn't consider none of the above schools spectacular except for maybe Emory & UConn.

UCLA x 2 -- inbreeding, not full-scope, country-club that many students want to go to (impressive in a way, i guess)
UCSF x 2 -- program undergoing major transition (PD and Chair both stepping down); no one wanted to go there (2 unmatched positions)
USC (6-year) -- self-taught program (let's not kid ourselves here); not good
Emory (6-year) -- great, busy
Case Western -- heard it's good
UConn (6-year) -- heard good things
BU --busy, easy to get into (due to the fact that residents have to pay tuition), fairly good 4-yr program

you do sound quite wise. will you please teach me more about other residency programs? which program are you at? i really hope that's where I'm starting in July.

Just curious as what qualifies a person to describe a program in 4 words. Interesting!

UCLA-you will be hard pressed to find many programs with a stronger orthognathic and implant experience.

UCSF-they have a faculty member by the name of Anthony Pogrel, and last time I checked he is one of the most renowned OMS in the world. Plus, having one of the largest faculty basis in the country and #5 med school in the country with no one wanting to go there isn't a sign of how bad the program is but more of a sign of how clueless the applicants are.

USC-solid inner city based program (lots of trauma, path, infections).

Emory-some would argue a top 10 program.

Case-5 year MD integrated program. PD and Chair are both fellowship trained. Win-Win!

UConn-well balanced academic program.

BU-solid inner city based program (lots of trauma, path, infections).

P.S. There is no such thing as a bad program. Every program is different and caters to different applicants. While some residents want to be in the OR 24/7 plating mandibles and draining pus, others would rather be in the OR 3 days/week doing osteotomies and in clinic placing implants.

I don't know where you guys are getting your info, but unless I am mistaken, according to their website BU DOES NOT charge tuition

I interviewed there this past interview cycle and unless they just changed it they charge 10000 dollars tuition and have done it for a while. There was some talk about changing it up in the future so that the residents didn't have to pay that but nothing concrete when I was there. Call them if you are not sure. Don't let tuition deter you from your dream. If I matched at a program that I had to pay 50000 dollars tuition a year I would have done it. I am glad I matched at a program that doesn't charge that but this is what I really want to do. You also have to look at what stipend they are giving you. Montefiore starts at 53000 and caps out at above 60000 dollars and charges a 5000 dollar tuition. Most programs I interviewed at started in the mid 40000 dollar range so I think the higher stipend at Montefiore covers the tuition. I don't remember what the stipend is at BU but I think it is similar. Montefiore also offers resident housing at around 760 dollars a month for all utilities paid for a one bedroom right next to the hospital in the Bronx so I took that into consideration. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited: