omfs applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roadtodmd1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Low class rank (bottom 25%) and low cbse. Is it even with it to reapply? Even with better CBSE score and non cat? Seems like most applicants did everything right the first time around with 70+ CBSE score and finishing in top 5%. Feeling very discouraged. I am very interested in omfs but first two years of dental school were difficult for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easier said than done but I can tell you from personal experience that a low class rank can be overcome with a non-cat and a great CBSE. Neither one of these are easy to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Cbse > noncat > gpa

In that order, killer cbse will offset all, mid - okay cbse will need a noncat.

Low class rank (bottom 25%) and low cbse. Is it even with it to reapply? Even with better CBSE score and non cat? Seems like most applicants did everything right the first time around with 70+ CBSE score and finishing in top 5%. Feeling very discouraged. I am very interested in omfs but first two years of dental school were difficult for me.
OMFS is very competitive to get into and a lot of applicants don’t get in. Sometimes it’s just a waste of time to keep trying. With a low gpa and low cbse I wouldn’t bother trying again. If I were you I would invest into applying for another specialty or just have fun and enjoy yourself in dental school.

bottom 20% of class here. 75+ CBSE with non cat. matched this cycle into a 4 year program. You got this

Reactions: 1 users
Once you get selected for interview, you have to be very likable and humble. There were some perfect on-paper applicants i veto’ed to because they were acting entitled and some lowish applicants i ranked high because i could see spending many hrs with them

I’ve seen people with low class ranks or low CBSE scores match so it’s impossible to say one way or another but the only way to know is reapply. It’s also impossible to judge based on just what you’ve said. I don’t know your story, what your letters of rec look like/ how you interview, or what your non cat program director thinks of you. All of those things can be extremely critical and without knowing those things all of us are just guessing without any real insight into your situation. If I were you I would not give up though. Being discouraged is normal, but you will likely deeply regret not even giving it another chance.