Oklahoma State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should I get in off the waitlist I fully intend on living in Guthrie with one of my friends. I know it's a bit of a drive to Stillwater but I don't want to live with people I don't know and I don't want to be completely isolated from people I know. Did that in undergrad and was not amused.

Maybe second semester or second year I would move to Stillwater but not initially. My preference in Stillwater would defiently be one of the houses just south of the vet school. Drove through the neighborhood and it is very nice. Second preference would be a trailer house somewhere in the country. Only after those two options are exhausted would I consider an apartment.

I have also heard that for 4th year students have to live within a certain driving time of the school. Can any current or past students varify that?
That would probably be close to 40 minutes without traffic if not more. I live between 25 and 35 minutes and if it wasn't because housing is free because of my husband's job we would have moved to stillwater in a heartbeat. It really sucks when everyone gets to go home between class and meetings and hang out (or shower after anatomy). Or when you have a big test and you really wish you had that drive time to study. And gas isn't cheap. I'm not trying to tell you that it's best to stay in stillwater but it's going to be way easier. If you don't want to stay with strangers you may just have to fork out a little more to live alone, and it'll probably work out with gas savings in the end. And I don't feel like I make friends quickly but I ended up becoming good friends with my anatomy partners from first semester within a month or 2. And getting involved in clubs and study groups help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For long, repetitive driving audiobooks are amazing! I was driving between Stillwater and Tulsa/Muskogee very often the beginning of this semester and audiobooks kept me sane. :thumbup:
Audiobooks for the win!! I live in Oklahoma now but all my family is scattered around. I have also discovered podcasts. So many podcasts! Audiobooks aren't free but podcasts are!

That would probably be close to 40 minutes without traffic if not more. I live between 25 and 35 minutes and if it wasn't because housing is free because of my husband's job we would have moved to stillwater in a heartbeat. It really sucks when everyone gets to go home between class and meetings and hang out (or shower after anatomy). Or when you have a big test and you really wish you had that drive time to study. And gas isn't cheap. I'm not trying to tell you that it's best to stay in stillwater but it's going to be way easier. If you don't want to stay with strangers you may just have to fork out a little more to live alone, and it'll probably work out with gas savings in the end. And I don't feel like I make friends quickly but I ended up becoming good friends with my anatomy partners from first semester within a month or 2. And getting involved in clubs and study groups help.

Thank you for the advice! I will keep all that in mind if I have to make the decision. For me living in Guthrie would be more about the known factors. I know I will get along with my roommate. I know how much the rent is. I know what the utilities are. I know the landlord. I know what the drive is. I don't have any furniture of my own. It is really a cost/benefit analysis. If I had gotten in right away it would be easier to decide to live in Stillwater because I would have more time to find a place to live and gather supplies. As it sits now I won't know anything until June and I don't want to rush into anything and not be happy with it. Vet school will be hard enough without having to deal with not being comfortable in my living space.

So for the open house next weekend, do any locals recommend any places to stay? I had a semi-sketchy experience booking my own hotel for an interview (on a budget and all) so I thought I'd ask. It seems like there are a mix of hotels & prices in Stillwater, but is there an area I should avoid or anything?

Also will take food recommendations, although I usually get these in person at the event anyways :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The shady places are pretty obviously shady - stick with Holiday Inn, Best Western, La Quinta, etc. and avoid Motel 6 and non-chain places. Whatever is on the corner of Perkins and Hall of Fame has changed hands like 20x in the last fifteen years so maybe avoid it too...

I say eat at Main St Noodle or Fuzzy's Tacos. Those are the two places that I miss the most. Hideaway is also good. I never recommend any of the Eskimo Joe's chain places, but people always eat there anyway. The food is gross. Apparently the cheese fries are okay. Mexico Joe's is hands down the worst Mexican food I've had from a restaurant...

Reactions: 1 users
The shady places are pretty obviously shady - stick with Holiday Inn, Best Western, La Quinta, etc. and avoid Motel 6 and non-chain places. Whatever is on the corner of Perkins and Hall of Fame has changed hands like 20x in the last fifteen years so maybe avoid it too...

I say eat at Main St Noodle or Fuzzy's Tacos. Those are the two places that I miss the most. Hideaway is also good. I never recommend any of the Eskimo Joe's chain places, but people always eat there anyway. The food is gross. Apparently the cheese fries are okay. Mexico Joe's is hands down the worst Mexican food I've had from a restaurant...

Cheese fries are good at Joe's... the rest of it no thanks.

I mailed my acceptance/check on Friday and got the email to set up my OSU account today! It feels even more real now...

If any current okstate undergrads are interested, Operation Catnip is still in need of volunteers for the clinic this Sunday!! Come spend your Sunday with 100+ kitties!!!

Signup form on Operation Catnip's facebook page!

Also, I am excited to meet all of you in August!

If any current okstate undergrads are interested, Operation Catnip is still in need of volunteers for the clinic this Sunday!! Come spend your Sunday with 100+ kitties!!!

Signup form on Operation Catnip's facebook page!

Also, I am excited to meet all of you in August!
So sad I can't do it this month. :( do you know when the April clinic is?

So sad I can't do it this month. :( do you know when the April clinic is?

The kitties are going to miss you!!

I believe the April clinic only 2 weeks after this one, on 4/16, but I could be wrong....

The kitties are going to miss you!!

I believe the April clinic only 2 weeks after this one, on 4/16, but I could be wrong....
I'll miss the kitties too. :(
Wait... 4/16- Isn't that Easter? I'd think that'd be an odd day to do it, but I've been wrong before!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll miss the kitties too. :(
Wait... 4/16- Isn't that Easter? I'd think that'd be an odd day to do it, but I've been wrong before!
You're right it is! Must not be that weekend then!

I just looked it up.... its 4/9

Glad you enjoyed your visit! If you toured Wednesday at noon I was hanging out in the first year classroom during that time and saw you!! :ninja:

Also excited to see you are a fellow cat person! (assuming by your username) Cats are so AWESOME! You will have to volunteer with Operation Catnip - Stillwater's TNR program. It's awesome too!

That was me you saw that day! Hey haha!
I am definitely a cray cray cat lady! I've worked at a cat speciality clinic and as an assistant cat coordinator for a rescue. My tour guide told me about Operation Catnip. Ironically, we have the same program at the University of Florida with the same name. She also told me about a kitten rescue called Tiny Paws, maybe? I can't quite remember the name.

Super excited to meet some of you lovely folks at open house today! I still don't think this is real, but I'm gonna pretend it is for as long as they let me. :laugh:

Super excited to meet some of you lovely folks at open house today! I still don't think this is real, but I'm gonna pretend it is for as long as they let me. :laugh:

So wish I could be there! First years have a tough (that may be a huge understatement) week of exams this coming week and unfortunately I REALLY need to to well in anatomy.
Hope you all have fun!!!

So wish I could be there! First years have a tough (that may be a huge understatement) week of exams this coming week and unfortunately I REALLY need to to well in anatomy.
Hope you all have fun!!!
No I completely understand! No hard feelings here! Are you still doing OCS next Sunday though?

No I completely understand! No hard feelings here! Are you still doing OCS next Sunday though?

Yes, if I survive this week!! You may need to pry my cold lifeless body off of the anatomy floor Thursday!

I have not been too involved this year with activities and such, but I really try to volunteer for each clinic of OCS! I have to get my kitty fix somehow and this prevents me from having 10+ cats.

Yes, if I survive this week!! You may need to pry my cold lifeless body off of the anatomy floor Thursday!

I have not been too involved this year with activities and such, but I really try to volunteer for each clinic of OCS! I have to get my kitty fix somehow and this prevents me from having 10+ cats.
I will do that if I have to. :laugh: "C'mon Rory :slap: we need to save kitties".

I've done OCS so much more this year than before, I'm really interested in keeping it up while in school. Also, open house was really awesome, and while I'm not saying I'm ready to start right now (I need a break first), I'm suuuuper excited to start!:soexcited:also I didn't embarrass myself in front of everyone so that's always a plus.

I will do that if I have to. :laugh: "C'mon Rory :slap: we need to save kitties".

I've done OCS so much more this year than before, I'm really interested in keeping it up while in school. Also, open house was really awesome, and while I'm not saying I'm ready to start right now (I need a break first), I'm suuuuper excited to start!:soexcited:also I didn't embarrass myself in front of everyone so that's always a plus.

Plus next year you will be rabies vaccinated.... so you can do so much more things at OCS like actually touching and poking the kitties! I'm getting so much practice at my medial saphenous injections!
Glad you have a fun time at open house and I cant wait for your class to start too as it means I survived first year, lol! :soexcited:

Plus next year you will be rabies vaccinated.... so you can do so much more things at OCS like actually touching and poking the kitties! I'm getting so much practice at my medial saphenous injections!
Glad you have a fun time at open house and I cant wait for your class to start too as it means I survived first year, lol! :soexcited:
Exactly!! Hopefully I work Recovery again on Sunday! Central Sterilization is important but definitely not as much fun/ as exciting. It'll be an interesting change, but I'm ready for it!

I'm really enjoying this Open House so far :) But I haven't been able to get an answer to this if anyone knows: what is the case load here?

Hmm, just depends. Sometimes you're so busy you barely have time to think and other times you twiddle your thumbs until 11, have a 2 hour lunch, and leave by 4. Really busy depends on the rotation, time of year, and if you end up with in house patients. Right now I have an in house patient that came in on the 2nd day of rotation and won't leave before the end of the rotation while other people have all had out patient or ones that only stay a night or two.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't know there was a wait list thread. I can't seem to find it. Do you know the name of the thread?

I declined my OOS seat after I was called off the waitlist elsewhere. Best of luck to everyone!

I was called Thursday and declined my OOS state! Good luck everyone :)

Anna just called to offer me a seat! I can't believe it's finally happening! :joyful:

Reactions: 11 users
Hey guys! Does anyone have experience living at the enclave at copper creek?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys! Does anyone have experience living at the enclave at copper creek?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey harr!

You might have a little more success asking this on the c/o '21 Facebook group as well. There's not a whole lot of people on this thread who have lived in Stilly before. I personally haven't had any experiences @ enclave at copper creek, but I asked some of my friends and will get back to you! :)

:clap:GUYS! I got the acceptance email yesterday!! :love:

Reactions: 9 users
:clap:GUYS! I got the acceptance email yesterday!! :love:

That's awesome!! Can't wait to meet you in the fall! Let me know if you have any questions!:D

Joining late to the thread, but kinda just found this. Got my acceptance letter, after being placed on IS waitlist, June 2. Very belated to everyone else. Trying to figure out where to live now, w/ or w/o a roommate Im poor :(

Reactions: 3 users