Oklahoma State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Joining late to the thread, but kinda just found this. Got my acceptance letter, after being placed on IS waitlist, June 2. Very belated to everyone else. Trying to figure out where to live now, w/ or w/o a roommate Im poor :(
There will be plenty of options. Depending, you can start out with a roommate situation and then if it isn't for you, look for options during break. Most the time upperclassman have rooms open, which will be advertised on the FB page. Congrats on getting in! Let me know if you have any questions. There are a couple of us around.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Joining late to the thread, but kinda just found this. Got my acceptance letter, after being placed on IS waitlist, June 2. Very belated to everyone else. Trying to figure out where to live now, w/ or w/o a roommate Im poor :(
Woooooo! Congrats!

Have you checked the Facebook page? There's a lot of people who are looking for a roommate!

You aren't that late! I was also accepted June 2!! So much work to do but it'll work out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhh!!!! Packet came today! I'm too excited! It's actually starting to feel real! :O

tumblr_inline_nl4oxm9cwb1qape4w.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone mentions going to Facebook for info. I guess I'm the weirdo without one. I never did like popular social media sites. Couldn't get into it. I did manage to find a place to live though on one of the golf courses. So many places were already booked when I went to Stilly last weekend to look.

Everyone mentions going to Facebook for info. I guess I'm the weirdo without one. I never did like popular social media sites. Couldn't get into it. I did manage to find a place to live though on one of the golf courses. So many places were already booked when I went to Stilly last weekend to look.
You can have one and set it on private. I do really recommend getting one as it is pretty useful to make sure you get all the class updates and get questions answered quickly from classmates. I don't use it except talking to vet friends in messenger and school stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
I second what lupin said about getting one and at least using it for school. People post study guides, answer questions, post reminders, and even professors communicate with us on our class page sometimes. It really is helpful to have

I second what lupin said about getting one and at least using it for school. People post study guides, answer questions, post reminders, and even professors communicate with us on our class page sometimes. It really is helpful to have
That is actually super helpful! I think I will do that. Dont want to miss out on anything important just over something as silly as Facebook. Countdown begins. Only a few months left and first year begins :rofl:

That is actually super helpful! I think I will do that. Dont want to miss out on anything important just over something as silly as Facebook. Countdown begins. Only a few months left and first year begins :rofl:
I'm somewhere between being excited and wanting to start and immensely enjoying doing absolutely nothing important this summer. :laugh:

It will fly by and be here before you know it! Also, another tip, you really don't need half the stuff on the booklist and required supplies, so don't spend hundreds of dollars on all that stuff, but wait until classes start and see if you actually want the books and supplies. You'll need the anatomy books and anatomy instruments the first day... beyond that I think I used histo once or twice during the semester, and pretty much nothing else on the list.

Reactions: 1 users
It will fly by and be here before you know it! Also, another tip, you really don't need half the stuff on the booklist and required supplies, so don't spend hundreds of dollars on all that stuff, but wait until classes start and see if you actually want the books and supplies. You'll need the anatomy books and anatomy instruments the first day... beyond that I think I used histo once or twice during the semester, and pretty much nothing else on the list.
YAAASSSS! This is definitely very important to save yourself some monies. Upper classmates will be selling stuff too usually for discounted prices if you do find the need for something.

okay! That's awesome to hear! Quick question- SVSA is selling the anatomy packs, do you think it'd be better to do that or create your own pack?

okay! That's awesome to hear! Quick question- SVSA is selling the anatomy packs, do you think it'd be better to do that or create your own pack?

I created my own off Amazon for way cheaper than SAVMA last year.... but I think the cheapest way would to be to post on the free/for sale page or the class of 2020 page that you're looking to buy one from a second year. You could probably get a set for like $20.

**ETA: once you get them, somehow mark that they are yours, either duct tape, or I personally used red nail polish on all the handles. Everyone's tools get mixed up constantly and usually one person takes them all to wash them for the group at the end of lab, and it was super helpful to be able to pick mine out of the pile quickly and easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
I created my own off Amazon for way cheaper than SAVMA last year.... but I think the cheapest way would to be to post on the free/for sale page or the class of 2020 page that you're looking to buy one from a second year. You could probably get a set for like $20.

**ETA: once you get them, somehow mark that they are yours, either duct tape, or I personally used red nail polish on all the handles. Everyone's tools get mixed up constantly and usually one person takes them all to wash them for the group at the end of lab, and it was super helpful to be able to pick mine out of the pile quickly and easily.
Is there a brand on Amazon you recommend? I remember reading that a couple of the instruments needed to be "quality" but wasn't sure what would fall under that category.

Is there a brand on Amazon you recommend? I remember reading that a couple of the instruments needed to be "quality" but wasn't sure what would fall under that category.
Sorry I took forever to reply. I just ordered the cheapest ones I could find that had semi decent reviews and ones that didn't require paying for shipping. Worked out fine for me. Prices have gone up a bit since I ordered them on amazon, so it might be worth looking to see what else is out there, but this is what I bought. I bought a plastic pencil case from walmart for $1 to keep them in. Together they add up to about $30ish on amazon vs $55 through SAVMA:

... Well I was really trying to add links but SDN is being a pain...

Can you believe it's been 5 months? I just looked back at the month or so before and got a little teary eyed thinking of how excited I was. 3.5 weeks! :O
Good/Bad times ahead!! I really had fun during orientation, then first semester was a mix of cool I'm here and yes, this does indeed suck. Spring semester of first year was the worst though. Tis really too bad you won't have me to berate you into knowledge as a TA anymore though, amiright, aloha? lol

Good/Bad times ahead!! I really had fun during orientation, then first semester was a mix of cool I'm here and yes, this does indeed suck. Spring semester of first year was the worst though.
That's what I've been hearing! I'm excited about it though!

Tis really too bad you won't have me to berate you into knowledge as a TA anymore though, amiright, aloha? lol
It really is a shame! I heard Lupin cracks the whip. ;)
IMG_3084.GIF

That's what I've been hearing! I'm excited about it though!

It really is a shame! I heard Lupin cracks the whip. ;)
View attachment 221854
I took pride in taking people from no way they can pass to by jove, they've got it. Only worked though if people could handle the method. haha

@cdoconn I am so excited for you. Vet school sucks no doubt about it, but I would no doubt do it all over again so far (granted it's only been a year.... so that's pretty minimal for me to judge it on compared to other people on here).

First semester isn't too bad... The excitement and adrenaline of being there helps carry you through the first half of the semester, then thanksgiving break is usually close enough to can cling on and make it through.

Seek out help early if you need it, and admit when you do need it. Don't get fooled into thinking a class will be easy just because the first quiz goes really well and is way easier than you expected because the first test will bite you in the butt (*cough histology *cough). Figure out which classes you don't really have to go to (not that I'm recommending skipping stuff... but I definitely did frequently) Learn your arteries and nerves for anatomy or it will come back to haunt you. Do well in respiratory phys and that cushion it will save your butt when the other professor starts teaching. And make friends/have some fun along the way. Oh... and don't drink the punch at the Halloween party if you want to remember any of the night. First semester really is fun though, looking back I really truly enjoyed it. The classes were interesting, the material was manageable, and I got to do some really cool stuff along the way.

Second semester is brutal, no way around it. Phys is what got me. Don't fall behind is the #1 thing I would say because it is test, after test, after test, with literally not a single week of break all semester. I don't even have worthwhile advice for that semester because I have no idea how I managed. The entire thing was a **** show. Classes are harder, there are more exams, less breaks, and it's truly miserable and exhausting. Survive that semester and you'll be okay... just gotta survive.

@cdoconn I am so excited for you. Vet school sucks no doubt about it, but I would no doubt do it all over again so far (granted it's only been a year.... so that's pretty minimal for me to judge it on compared to other people on here).

First semester isn't too bad... The excitement and adrenaline of being there helps carry you through the first half of the semester, then thanksgiving break is usually close enough to can cling on and make it through.

Seek out help early if you need it, and admit when you do need it. Don't get fooled into thinking a class will be easy just because the first quiz goes really well and is way easier than you expected because the first test will bite you in the butt (*cough histology *cough). Figure out which classes you don't really have to go to (not that I'm recommending skipping stuff... but I definitely did frequently) Learn your arteries and nerves for anatomy or it will come back to haunt you. Do well in respiratory phys and that cushion it will save your butt when the other professor starts teaching. And make friends/have some fun along the way. Oh... and don't drink the punch at the Halloween party if you want to remember any of the night. First semester really is fun though, looking back I really truly enjoyed it. The classes were interesting, the material was manageable, and I got to do some really cool stuff along the way.

Second semester is brutal, no way around it. Phys is what got me. Don't fall behind is the #1 thing I would say because it is test, after test, after test, with literally not a single week of break all semester. I don't even have worthwhile advice for that semester because I have no idea how I managed. The entire thing was a **** show. Classes are harder, there are more exams, less breaks, and it's truly miserable and exhausting. Survive that semester and you'll be okay... just gotta survive.
Thank you aloha!!! That is fantastic advice!! :)

I appreciate you, Lupin, TT, Rorycat, et al. for giving great advice and sharing my excitement. It makes me really excited that I'm able to go here, not for the "yay vet school, any one would do" part of it, but because so many people keep reaching out to me and offer support/ encouragement. Everyone's been so kind and enthusiastic, it makes me happy that I'm able to join this group/ school of lovely, kindhearted people. :biglove:

2 weeks until classes begin!!!!!!

:soexcited::soexcited:

Hope everyone has had an enjoyable summer and is ready to start their journey!!!!

Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

Reactions: 2 users
I've been accepted to the class of 2022 OOS and I asked a question on that thread about the school but then quickly realized that most everyone on there has the same questions. So, I'm coming here in the hopes of gaining additional insight. I wanted to know from any of you who now have some time under their belts what you thought of the vet school. It's the only vet school I can't visit so I have no idea what to expect. How are the lecture halls? Do you have table/desks or those little half-folding seats?

How is the animal hospital? Is there enough space for a larger class size? (I know OSU used to have smaller classes but now they're getting bigger. I just hope more space has been given to accommodate for that change) Any information would be greatly appreciated. The good, the bad, all of it.

I've been accepted to the class of 2022 OOS and I asked a question on that thread about the school but then quickly realized that most everyone on there has the same questions. So, I'm coming here in the hopes of gaining additional insight. I wanted to know from any of you who now have some time under their belts what you thought of the vet school. It's the only vet school I can't visit so I have no idea what to expect. How are the lecture halls? Do you have table/desks or those little half-folding seats?

How is the animal hospital? Is there enough space for a larger class size? (I know OSU used to have smaller classes but now they're getting bigger. I just hope more space has been given to accommodate for that change) Any information would be greatly appreciated. The good, the bad, all of it.
So, OSU is a great school. I love it!!! It is small enough that it is family like but also large enough that its not too small, ya know? I'm C/O 21 and still see people I don't know but it was easy to make several friends even though I didn't go to OSU for undergrad.

The school pretty much has each class in their own room and most of the professors come to us for lecture. We go to labs. So, first years have the auditorium, 2nd years have the upstairs histology lab and the third years have another room upstairs. Our class, C/O 21, is the first with the increased class size at OSU. It jumped from 88 in C/O 20 to 106 for us. Not going to sugar coat it, at the beginning it was a tight squeeze. No empty seats in the auditorium first semester. As a matter of fact, they brought in some desk and chair on wheels things. Since we lost several first semester we don't need those anymore. Assuming I have my facts right we, C/O 21, will be going upstairs to the histology lab as our classroom for second year, C/O 20 goes over to the 3rd year class room and C/O 22 is going to get the auditorium. The auditorium and histology lab are both rows of tables with chairs. Plenty of outlets for computers, its great. The 3rd year classroom is an older classroom, they have the bolted chairs with the flip up desks. But have no fear! There are plans in the works to build a new classroom building to accommodate the growing class size. From what we have been told so far the new building is supposed to be open for the fall of my third year which would be August 2019. Last I heard the new building is going to have three classrooms, trending away from traditional stadium seating, and maybe some sort of study area in the atrium. There is a website you can look at to see some of the rooms. CVM McElroy Hall Virtual Tour

One thing I really love about the school is the number of opportunities to have your voice heard and to communicate with faculty. For instance, last semester we had a class titled "Orientation to Veterinary Medicine," taught by the interim dean. Its a ethics/welcome to vet school class, just 1 credit. I really enjoyed it because the professor would as us for opinions and we would have class discussions. I only know what I know about the new classroom because that's what the interim dean told us in class and asked us what we thought.

I don't know very much about the teaching hospital, as I am just a first year. I go over to the equine hospital once a week for equine rounds. Its a set time at 7 am on Tuesdays for the residents to meet with 1st, 2nd and 3rd year students who want to come and discuss cases currently in the hospital. Honestly, it is among my top 3 three things I get to do every week because even though we aren't doing anything with the horses we get to discuss real cases with the patients right there. It amazes me how much of it is relevant to things we are learning in the classrooms! I know there are also food animal rounds and pathology rounds. I don't know if there is anything comparable in the small animal side of things, but I bet there is. Speaking of getting involved, there are so many clubs, it was hard not to join them all. The clubs have meetings and coordinate labs for the students to get out of the classroom. Since August I did the equine castration lab (first years did TPRs, 3rd years actually did the castrations), lameness lab, fetal sexing ultrasound lab, and a bovine Theriogenology lab where we practiced embryo flushes on excised tracts. That is probably 10% of the things that there is to do, my stuff concentrates on the large animal side of things but I know there are just as many opportunities for small animal type stuff as well.

Sorry for the book of a reply! I wish you good luck and feel free to ask any other questions!

someone's making the most of the night before a snow day!! ;):heckyeah:
Don't ya know it!!! haha I did get some homework done, studied phys, path and parasit. And that was before the announcement of closure tomorrow!!

Don't ya know it!!! haha I did get some homework done, studied phys, path and parasit. And that was before the announcement of closure tomorrow!!
I got home, studied phys and path, got the closure announcement, got a beverage. Cleaned. Basically anything but studying after that lolol

So, OSU is a great school. I love it!!! It is small enough that it is family like but also large enough that its not too small, ya know? I'm C/O 21 and still see people I don't know but it was easy to make several friends even though I didn't go to OSU for undergrad.

The school pretty much has each class in their own room and most of the professors come to us for lecture. We go to labs. So, first years have the auditorium, 2nd years have the upstairs histology lab and the third years have another room upstairs. Our class, C/O 21, is the first with the increased class size at OSU. It jumped from 88 in C/O 20 to 106 for us. Not going to sugar coat it, at the beginning it was a tight squeeze. No empty seats in the auditorium first semester. As a matter of fact, they brought in some desk and chair on wheels things. Since we lost several first semester we don't need those anymore. Assuming I have my facts right we, C/O 21, will be going upstairs to the histology lab as our classroom for second year, C/O 20 goes over to the 3rd year class room and C/O 22 is going to get the auditorium. The auditorium and histology lab are both rows of tables with chairs. Plenty of outlets for computers, its great. The 3rd year classroom is an older classroom, they have the bolted chairs with the flip up desks. But have no fear! There are plans in the works to build a new classroom building to accommodate the growing class size. From what we have been told so far the new building is supposed to be open for the fall of my third year which would be August 2019. Last I heard the new building is going to have three classrooms, trending away from traditional stadium seating, and maybe some sort of study area in the atrium. There is a website you can look at to see some of the rooms. CVM McElroy Hall Virtual Tour

One thing I really love about the school is the number of opportunities to have your voice heard and to communicate with faculty. For instance, last semester we had a class titled "Orientation to Veterinary Medicine," taught by the interim dean. Its a ethics/welcome to vet school class, just 1 credit. I really enjoyed it because the professor would as us for opinions and we would have class discussions. I only know what I know about the new classroom because that's what the interim dean told us in class and asked us what we thought.

I don't know very much about the teaching hospital, as I am just a first year. I go over to the equine hospital once a week for equine rounds. Its a set time at 7 am on Tuesdays for the residents to meet with 1st, 2nd and 3rd year students who want to come and discuss cases currently in the hospital. Honestly, it is among my top 3 three things I get to do every week because even though we aren't doing anything with the horses we get to discuss real cases with the patients right there. It amazes me how much of it is relevant to things we are learning in the classrooms! I know there are also food animal rounds and pathology rounds. I don't know if there is anything comparable in the small animal side of things, but I bet there is. Speaking of getting involved, there are so many clubs, it was hard not to join them all. The clubs have meetings and coordinate labs for the students to get out of the classroom. Since August I did the equine castration lab (first years did TPRs, 3rd years actually did the castrations), lameness lab, fetal sexing ultrasound lab, and a bovine Theriogenology lab where we practiced embryo flushes on excised tracts. That is probably 10% of the things that there is to do, my stuff concentrates on the large animal side of things but I know there are just as many opportunities for small animal type stuff as well.

Sorry for the book of a reply! I wish you good luck and feel free to ask any other questions!
Thank you so much for this reply! I’m sure OSU is fantastic and I plan 100% plan on attending, it’s just nice to have an idea of what you’re walking into/signing up for. Again, I appreciate the insight and good luck to you as well!