Oklahoma State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdo96

In a perpetual state of wanting pizza
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that no one has created this thread yet! I am applying to Ok State this cycle, and I go to undergrad here- so if anyone has any questions, I might be able to answer them!! I'm OOS, 19 years old, and a first time applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yes! First time applicant as well, also 19 years old, and OOS!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying for the first time this cycle as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lupin, what would you recommend as a good quality stethoscope?

Lupin, what would you recommend as a good quality stethoscope?
I went with the traditional cardio III and got it with a good deal that all heart offered. It does everything I need. As has been pointed out though, you will have to be very protective of it as they get borrowed and misplaced often. Other than that, for the shadowing and such before fourth year, you can just use the community ones and get by just fine and there will be some fourth years, interns, residents that let you use theirs when there is something they want you to experience, like a murmur or respiratory crackles.

I went with the traditional cardio III and got it with a good deal that all heart offered. It does everything I need. As has been pointed out though, you will have to be very protective of it as they get borrowed and misplaced often. Other than that, for the shadowing and such before fourth year, you can just use the community ones and get by just fine and there will be some fourth years, interns, residents that let you use theirs when there is something they want you to experience, like a murmur or respiratory crackles.

Cardio III is nice, but you could get by with a Classic II or similar as well. I upgraded after I graduated, and that's good - I wouldn't have wanted to carry a $350 stethy in clinics, too scary.

Cardio III is nice, but you could get by with a Classic II or similar as well. I upgraded after I graduated, and that's good - I wouldn't have wanted to carry a $350 stethy in clinics, too scary.
Aw hell naw!

III was only $20 bucks more with the coupon I had over classic, so that's why I went there. But for sure, whatever will simply get you through clinics then you can learn what you do and don't like to find a fancy one later for practice. :horns:

Aw hell naw!

III was only $20 bucks more with the coupon I had over classic, so that's why I went there. But for sure, whatever will simply get you through clinics then you can learn what you do and don't like to find a fancy one later for practice. :horns:
Thanks for all of the input! :)

Toured the school today. My top pick. Anyone still on this thread that is a current student? Hit me up!

Lupin is a current student, and there is at least one other person I think. Otherwise, there will be a new class and some new people starting there this fall.

I guess I'm a year + out now, so my OSU specific advice will be less and less accurate. Sad sad.

Toured the school today. My top pick. Anyone still on this thread that is a current student? Hit me up!

It's such a good school. Pretty campus too. I'm not a current student, but I'm finishing up undergrad there. Definitely applying for c/o 2021

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a 4th year. Lupin should be too but she didn't love our class enough!

It's really nice that there's no supplemental application, but sad there's no OOS interviews.

Is OK State planning on expanding the class? I saw reference to admitting more students on a newsletter on a bit about wanting to build new classrooms? I was really surprised (about expanding the class, not necessarily wanting to build new classrooms).

Is OK State planning on expanding the class? I saw reference to admitting more students on a newsletter on a bit about wanting to build new classrooms? I was really surprised (about expanding the class, not necessarily wanting to build new classrooms).
They did expand the class slightly. Either last year or the year before, Oklahoma State started admitting 88 students (58 in-state, 30 OOS) instead of 82 (58 IS, 24 OOS). I don't know whether or not they want to expand the class more.

I think they might want to, but I'm not sure if it's financially going to work considering the mass amounts of money that went into building the new teaching hospital that was completed this year.

Thanks for the responses! Was just curious, I know they had just finished the new academic building so was interested to hear if there were more plans in the works.

Last I heard (and that was this spring), they didn't necessarily want to expand. The anatomy labs are already super crowded, and (to paraphrase what I heard), they're aware of the surplus of veterinarians graduating from vet schools and aren't wanting to add to that.

I have heard rumors around the vet school that they are thinking of expanding, but it would take some reconfiguration to figure it all out. If it does happen, it probably won't be for a bit.

And the anatomy lab isn't that crowded don't fret! The first year classroom on the other hand... you get real friendly, real quick. I'm one of the weird ones who likes our classroom though.

Reactions: 1 users
Applied OOS from graduating Texas A&M 2016! First time applying to schools (UF, ISU, Auburn, Texas A&M, oklahoma state). Goodluck y'all (obligatory texas slang)

Reactions: 2 users
It kinda makes me laugh that there are two important dates for OOS, January 30, the reject day (if you get an email from then on this day, you're rejected). This is also the interview invite day for IS.

And then early March which is the official acceptance day for all

I know.. March?! That's such a long time.. well if that's if I pass the January 30th date.

I know.. March?! That's such a long time.. well if that's if I pass the January 30th date.

the sad/ frustrating part, is that even if you pass the Jan 30 deadline, you could still get declined at the early March deadline.

At least they do email notifications now! My year acceptances were sent out there was a big snowstorm and I had to wait a couple days for it to clear before I could get to my mail. haha

At least they do email notifications now! My year acceptances were sent out there was a big snowstorm and I had to wait a couple days for it to clear before I could get to my mail. haha
oh that's so stressful. I would go crazy haha

Last year they didn't even have two dates (unless I was totally clueless). We had "acceptance decisions released early march" and that was it for OOS. I think I maybe got two emails from OSU the entire application process. It was unnerving compared to other schools who sent a ton of stuff, but also easier to stress about them less. When I got my acceptance it was still mid-late February, I had no clue what the email even was. I thought it was just a random informational email because it was early... so I didn't even bother to open it for a while after I got it because I was working.

Last year they didn't even have two dates (unless I was totally clueless). We had "acceptance decisions released early march" and that was it for OOS. I think I maybe got two emails from OSU the entire application process. It was unnerving compared to other schools who sent a ton of stuff, but also easier to stress about them less. When I got my acceptance it was still mid-late February, I had no clue what the email even was. I thought it was just a random informational email because it was early... so I didn't even bother to open it for a while after I got it because I was working.
Oh okay! That makes sense. I guess it's slightly frustrating because I'm in undergrad here and I was an early admission student up until 2 semesters ago when my semester GPA was a 3.48 and I got kicked out. Anna Teague sent us emails and updates all the time.

Ugh that was super stressful... At least you're not waiting for navle results now... Way more stressful than acceptance letters!

Hate to do this but I may have to call you clueless, (but after this week who isn't!)
I seem to remember a deadline at the end of January last year. If you did not meet the requirements you would be notified by the end of January and if you did then no news.

Interested in mixed animal practice in Maryland? I can put in a good word for you....
Ugh I wish I could get out of Oklahoma for a while, but my husband just lost his brother and father within 6 weeks of each other so he wants stay close to his mom near Guthrie for a while. Not a ton of mixed animal options there :/ so hoping I don't have to go small animal.

Ugh I wish I could get out of Oklahoma for a while, but my husband just lost his brother and father within 6 weeks of each other so he wants stay close to his mom near Guthrie for a while. Not a ton of mixed animal options there :/ so hoping I don't have to go small animal.
ugh. Sorry to hear that. Hope things work out.

I'm sorry :(

Are there any Oklahoma resident males on here? Would marry an Okie for admissions sake (or at least would consider it.)

Reactions: 1 users
Better move and mingle. ;)
I've been working on some mating dances, I hope they're gonna work.
(starts at 2:30)

And if that doesn't work, there's always this one:
giphy%20(10).gif

Reactions: 3 users