Okay. I'm finally ready to say it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not close to Fresno... man those are some good looking machines.

Why do you have a tractor?

(page 2)

Yeah, def shop around though - make sure to have someone u trust that knows about them check one out w/u b4 u buy it too, and also consider hiring out the job (though I'm sure dirt work guys in CA are charging 100 plus per hr, but who knows) but it may not be worth maintaining, etc if u won't use it a lot. I got mine b/c I built my own house and it can essentially double as a good large area mower (though hardly ever used for that since you can't get close to stuff like w/a zero turn). Yeah, don't get me started on the whole house thing, definitely turned out real nice, and though I grew up building houses, I forgot to realize there is a BIG difference between building an 1800 sqft split level instead of a 4000 sqft beast of a house (still built it for less than 50/sqft w/granite, all stucco exterior, etc - booya!) but...yeah, in the end pharmacy pays better and is guaranteed $, so I probably should have just worked extra on all those days off I worked on the house. Still got it done in less than six months though! (but totally not worth the stress)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am in a similar boat as you. I have been residency trained and worked as a hospital staff pharmacist. I left my former employer I could no longer tolerate. I am not looking for another full-time pharmacy job. I am going back to school to study something totally different, while working as a prn pharmacist. Thank goodness I lived below my means and saved up money while I made >100K. To me, losing my health, social life, and happiness is not worth the compensation pharmacy offer. Because I never lived six-figure-earner life, I will not miss my full time job which gave me so much stress.
I tried hard to like the profession, worked hard throughout school, worked my butt off during residency.... It's very sad that schools are preaching clinical pharmacy as the face of the profession, and pure clinical jobs are so hard to come by.

I find narcissists to be pretty entertaining. Flattery typically works with narcissists too. People mistake arrogance for narcissism and vice versa. Narcissists are the least of your worries in the workplace, IMO.
Narcissists are entertaining whenever they sing over the loud speaker or gently tease others. Even though it's all for attention, it is entertainment, after all.

What's not entertaining are: the stunts that narcissists pull for even more attention, like leaving trash piles right outside the womens' restroom exit if they know someone is inside the restroom, deleting third party information only to blame it on someone else the next day, and neglecting certain duties so that management will have a reason to interact with them, or their outbursts whenever they can't be center of attention or admired, e.g. like banging the wall in the cooler so hard that our plaques come flying off the wall from the other side! Scary... :scared:

For a narcissist, it's all about...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qilMVZnNB74[/YOUTUBE]

Now, borderline personality disorder or antisocial personality disorders are far more worrisome. No medications can help, either :p
Borderline personality disorder would be hard to control in such a regimented field like pharmacy, right? I don't know...

Antisocial personality disorder sounds like the type of person who wouldn't give a flip about the rules (hence "antisocial") and would steal controlled substances.

If I were to imagine, people with those disorders wouldn't be able to hold down a job in a pharmacy for very long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Narcissists are entertaining whenever they sing over the loud speaker or gently tease others. Even though it's all for attention, it is entertainment, after all.

What's not entertaining are: the stunts that narcissists pull for even more attention, like leaving trash piles right outside the womens' restroom exit if they know someone is inside the restroom, deleting third party information only to blame it on someone else the next day, and neglecting certain duties so that management will have a reason to interact with them, or their outbursts whenever they can't be center of attention or admired, e.g. like banging the wall in the cooler so hard that our plaques come flying off the wall from the other side! Scary... :scared:

For a narcissist, it's all about...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qilMVZnNB74[/YOUTUBE]

Borderline personality disorder would be hard to control in such a regimented field like pharmacy, right? I don't know...

Antisocial personality disorder sounds like the type of person who wouldn't give a flip about the rules (hence "antisocial") and would steal controlled substances.

If I were to imagine, people with those disorders wouldn't be able to hold down a job in a pharmacy for very long.

That doesn't sound like narcissism to me. Maybe borderline personality disorder.

Borderline is more manipulative and what you described is manipulative. Narcissists wouldn't want negative attention from management.

That doesn't sound like narcissism to me. Maybe borderline personality disorder.

Borderline is more manipulative and what you described is manipulative. Narcissists wouldn't want negative attention from management.
It's counter-intuitive, but I find that any attention is better to a narcissist than no attention at all. Try ignoring a narcissist... :scared:

Interesting... "Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by dramatic, emotional behavior, which is in the same category as antisocial and borderline personality disorders."

Correct. What was described was not NPD.

Correct. What was described was not NPD.
What I described was actually 2 different people.

So how do you explain singing over the loud speaker or making jokes (even at the expense of others)? Is that not attention-seeking behavior???

Makes perfect sense, I think that even has some bearing on the pharmacy job prospects/pay in areas where there is a pharm school, although not nearly to the same extent as chiros experience.

I loved living in the town where I went to college, but had no desire to stay there and certainly no desire to work at the university hospital. I worked at a mail order facility 50 miles away during the summer between my junior and senior year, and also during school vacations, and they had a job waiting for me when I graduated. Then the place relocated 2 years later, putting us all out of work. :( It's been about 15 years, and we still have an employee reunion every two years - it was just that kind of place.

That pharmacist who went to chiropractic school worked there too, and decided that the facility's closure gave him the perfect opportunity to go back to school, so he did it. And despite having the rug pulled out from all of us, not once have I ever heard anyone say they were sorry they worked there. :cool:

I am in a similar boat as you. I have been residency trained and worked as a hospital staff pharmacist. I left my former employer I could no longer tolerate. I am not looking for another full-time pharmacy job. I am going back to school to study something totally different, while working as a prn pharmacist. Thank goodness I lived below my means and saved up money while I made >100K. To me, losing my health, social life, and happiness is not worth the compensation pharmacy offer. Because I never lived six-figure-earner life, I will not miss my full time job which gave me so much stress.
I tried hard to like the profession, worked hard throughout school, worked my butt off during residency.... It's very sad that schools are preaching clinical pharmacy as the face of the profession, and pure clinical jobs are so hard to come by.

When I was in school in the early 1990s, pharmaceutical care was the big buzzword, and more than once, I had to talk classmates who had no actual work experience down and tell them that they just plain old didn't know what they were talking about.

What are you studying? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

I used to work with two pharmacists who co-owned a car wash (one still works in the field; the other doesn't) and am Facebook friends with a classmate who went to law school. She also has her pharmacist's licenses although she hasn't practiced in over 10 years, but it will come in useful at her new job, which is at a health insurance company. I've posted this here before, but she told me that law school was about 100,000 times easier than pharmacy school.

]

I've had 3 pharmacy bosses who I'm sure had APD. All of them were That Person Who's Impossible To Fire Because The Upper Management Loves Them.

One in particular has a very lengthy history of walking off jobs without giving notice, or signing up to do relief work and being a no-call no-show (and still managed to get rehired anyway).

Another had his own store back in the 1970s, and he claimed to me that it closed because he was undercut by the competition, but a pharmacist who did relief work for him when he owned yet another business (and all 3 paychecks she got from him bounced) told me that the REAL reason was because everyone in that small town knew that he beat his wife up all the time. I believe it, too. Working with him was such a horrible experience, I briefly considered surrendering my license. It quickly became apparent to me why he had his own businesses for most of his career: He can't get along with people and blames it on THEM, not him.

As for the third, let's just say that when it was announced at the local pharmacy association meeting that she had been in a near-fatal auto accident, the room roared with laughter and nobody signed her get-well card. She later called a TV station to do a really sappy piece about the accident and her recovery, and the reporter's e-mail box crashed because she (the reporter) got so much feedback from people who let the reporter know what she was really like.

The president of the class behind me, who was elected class president because he ran unopposed, had to go work in his pharmacist father's business because he was such an unpleasant person, and I'm pretty sure he had at least one of these disorders. He totally came across to me as the type who would eventually find a woman stupid or naive enough to marry him and have a few children with him, and then he would tire of the whole responsibility thing and, instead of getting a divorce, would kill them and maybe blame it on a non-white intruder, KWIM?

[/QUOTE]Borderline personality disorder would be hard to control in such a regimented field like pharmacy, right? I don't know...

If I were to imagine, people with those disorders wouldn't be able to hold down a job in a pharmacy for very long.[/QUOTE]

p.s. And check out the thread I started about the pharmacist in Des Moines who was likely responsible for 700,000 missing hydrocodone tablets. People who steal from their employers or commit insurance fraud would likely fall under that category too.

Last edited:
So....for those who felt the need to leave the profession, what is it about pharmacy that's so stressful?

What I described was actually 2 different people.

So how do you explain singing over the loud speaker or making jokes (even at the expense of others)? Is that not attention-seeking behavior???

The difference with narcissism is that they want positive attention. If singing over the loud speaker makes them feel special or powerful or gets positive attention (people laughing and thinking he/she is super funny) then that's more likely to be narcissism.

The difference with narcissism is that they want positive attention. If singing over the loud speaker makes them feel special or powerful or gets positive attention (people laughing and thinking he/she is super funny) then that's more likely to be narcissism.

Yeah, maybe the singing thing. But the rest of the examples weren't really characteristic of narcissism. It's not JUST attention seeking behavior. It's seeing oneself as the center of the world, the measure of all things, the best, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
(page 2)

Yeah, def shop around though - make sure to have someone u trust that knows about them check one out w/u b4 u buy it too, and also consider hiring out the job (though I'm sure dirt work guys in CA are charging 100 plus per hr, but who knows) but it may not be worth maintaining, etc if u won't use it a lot. I got mine b/c I built my own house and it can essentially double as a good large area mower (though hardly ever used for that since you can't get close to stuff like w/a zero turn). Yeah, don't get me started on the whole house thing, definitely turned out real nice, and though I grew up building houses, I forgot to realize there is a BIG difference between building an 1800 sqft split level instead of a 4000 sqft beast of a house (still built it for less than 50/sqft w/granite, all stucco exterior, etc - booya!) but...yeah, in the end pharmacy pays better and is guaranteed $, so I probably should have just worked extra on all those days off I worked on the house. Still got it done in less than six months though! (but totally not worth the stress)

Totally cool. Didn't know you built houses. I would be paid you $150 per sqft to build a house for me.....we looked at building but it was going to be $200per and no way it would appraise today. Im envious of people who knows how to build.

We ended up picking up a foreclosure. Contractors own house. Raised foundation....thick wooden floor throughout....wood burning fire place...big thick windows....electric outlets like every 3ft... 1600sqft trax deck with untread wood support? Wtf. Commercial grade geothermal unit we are trying to figure out..... a jungle 40 yards behind the house...leach field. 1000sqft 1/2 finished above the garage media room bedroom and full bath...separate guest house....bmx track on the property....and absolutely no landscaping. wth.

Wish I was back in tx where I could easily employ day laborers.

Oh......4.5 car garage with two of them tall garage doors... and no internet service to the house....I think I thought I saw a clearwire receiver....and Im only 1/4 mile from the city limits.

Totally cool. Didn't know you built houses. I would be paid you $150 per sqft to build a house for me.....we looked at building but it was going to be $200per and no way it would appraise today. Im envious of people who knows how to build.

We ended up picking up a foreclosure. Contractors own house. Raised foundation....thick wooden floor throughout....wood burning fire place...big thick windows....electric outlets like every 3ft... 1600sqft trax deck with untread wood support? Wtf. Commercial grade geothermal unit we are trying to figure out..... a jungle 40 yards behind the house...leach field. 1000sqft 1/2 finished above the garage media room bedroom and full bath...separate guest house....bmx track on the property....and absolutely no landscaping. wth.

Oh......4.5 car garage with two of them tall garage doors... and no internet service to the house....I think I thought I saw a clearwire receiver....and Im only 1/4 mile from the city limits.

No hydraulic lift, no care

Who suggests that it has to be "positive" attention?

Who suggests that it has to be "positive" attention?

Go read the DSM and tell me if you think the attention they want is "positive" or "negative"... all relative of course. When you come back and say something read the following:

you-win.gif

Any narcissist in here want to show me how smart they are by making an awesome critical care presentation for me?? Oh god...only three more weeks...but a damn long three weeks...

Any narcissist in here want to show me how smart they are by making an awesome critical care presentation for me?? Oh god...only three more weeks...but a damn long three weeks...

Critical care? Sedation with Benzo vs. Propofol vs. Precedex or in combination of.

Critical care? Sedation with Benzo vs. Propofol vs. Precedex or in combination of.

I've got an assigned topic. We covered benzos and propofol in sedation but I don't recall precedex. But I've yet to study either. Too damn many proposals and presentations. Who'd a thunk remotely attempting to get published takes some work?

I've got an assigned topic. We covered benzos and propofol in sedation but I don't recall precedex. But I've yet to study either. Too damn many proposals and presentations. Who'd a thunk remotely attempting to get published takes some work?

Peeps love precedex. Don't let the 24 hour limit fool you.

The most stressful thing about working in community pharmacy is dealing with the general public. I havn't done many hospital rotations yet, what do I have to look forward too? :D

Go read the DSM and tell me if you think the attention they want is "positive" or "negative"... all relative of course.
Anna Valerious describes narcissists very well on her blog.

"The narcissist has a pathological need for all attention in every context he finds himself in.
It is so pathological that if you get any attention he is obsessed by the need to take it away from you because he imagines that if you get any that it is an unsurvivable diminution of this precious commodity for him.

This is attached to his transcendent sense of entitlement.

If he wants something then, in his mind, it belongs by native right to him. And because he wants every shred of human attention, warmth, regard, consideration, that means you can't have any. This is at the very bedrock of the narcissist's motivations. The need to have it all means he must take what you have. It makes you a target of his malevolent intent. It is the fountainhead of his ill will toward all others.

The malignant narcissist's pathological need to have it all leads to his existence of being pathologically envious.
In other words, the most pernicious, pervasive and all-consuming state of being covetous. This translates to him envying anything you have or are. So, picture a human being utterly possessed of a pathological need for all the attention and all good things which flow from human relationships and you have the framework for understanding the next identifying feature of the Malignant Narcissist Creature..."
citation: http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/2009/03/malignant-narcissism-brief-overview.html
When you come back and say something read the following:

you-win.gif
I'm not very good at games... so that doesn't mean very much to me. Sorry.

EBM! now with more trending to statistically significant p-values!

I gave an impromptu presentation on how to determine what is and isn't a reputable source of health info on the net tonight... It's surprising what laypeople don't realize/pick up on.

You know, sometimes I read things on this forum that make me want to slam my head against the wall. You are going to sit there and try to tell us that working as a staff hospital pharmacist isn't worth the money due to the stress and losing of "health" and social life?

I mean I'm sitting here laughing my rear end off. My classmates in high school are making $30,000 and losing fingers through oil rig work but being a pharmacist wasn't worth a $100,000 salary? To each his own I guess but you would NEVER hear me complain about the kind of stuff some of you guys complain about. It just reeks of "woe is me, feel bad for me" and I refuse to do that. You're getting everything you deserve and it's a shame you're throwing it away. Just my two cents.

You know, sometimes I read things on this forum that make me want to slam my head against the wall. You are going to sit there and try to tell us that working as a staff hospital pharmacist isn't worth the money due to the stress and losing of "health" and social life?

I mean I'm sitting here laughing my rear end off. My classmates in high school are making $30,000 and losing fingers through oil rig work but being a pharmacist wasn't worth a $100,000 salary? To each his own I guess but you would NEVER hear me complain about the kind of stuff some of you guys complain about. It just reeks of "woe is me, feel bad for me" and I refuse to do that. You're getting everything you deserve and it's a shame you're throwing it away. Just my two cents.

So what kind of working experience do YOU have in the hospital as a PHARMACIST, and for how many years? What is more important to you, quality of life vs. money?

]

I've had 3 pharmacy bosses who I'm sure had APD. All of them were That Person Who's Impossible To Fire Because The Upper Management Loves Them.

One in particular has a very lengthy history of walking off jobs without giving notice, or signing up to do relief work and being a no-call no-show (and still managed to get rehired anyway).

Another had his own store back in the 1970s, and he claimed to me that it closed because he was undercut by the competition, but a pharmacist who did relief work for him when he owned yet another business (and all 3 paychecks she got from him bounced) told me that the REAL reason was because everyone in that small town knew that he beat his wife up all the time. I believe it, too. Working with him was such a horrible experience, I briefly considered surrendering my license. It quickly became apparent to me why he had his own businesses for most of his career: He can't get along with people and blames it on THEM, not him.

As for the third, let's just say that when it was announced at the local pharmacy association meeting that she had been in a near-fatal auto accident, the room roared with laughter and nobody signed her get-well card. She later called a TV station to do a really sappy piece about the accident and her recovery, and the reporter's e-mail box crashed because she (the reporter) got so much feedback from people who let the reporter know what she was really like.

The president of the class behind me, who was elected class president because he ran unopposed, had to go work in his pharmacist father's business because he was such an unpleasant person, and I'm pretty sure he had at least one of these disorders. He totally came across to me as the type who would eventually find a woman stupid or naive enough to marry him and have a few children with him, and then he would tire of the whole responsibility thing and, instead of getting a divorce, would kill them and maybe blame it on a non-white intruder, KWIM?

The Ike Turner of Pharmacy... niiiiiiiiice.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a job that pays 6 figures and is NOT stressful, tiring, and hard on your health.

Is someone who is born with connections and a rich father.

So what kind of working experience do YOU have in the hospital as a PHARMACIST, and for how many years? What is more important to you, quality of life vs. money?

I was thinking the same thing.

Every job has its own set of hazards, I'll give you that.

There's a reason why you don't see many investment bankers over the age of 35. Some people think that's a cushy job. It isn't.

Thanks buddy! Your house sounds awesome! (and way more that I could afford :) ). Thing is, you did what I think is the ideal thing, which is to get a sweet foreclosure deal (did that on my last house and got a monster deal) which I think is especially true out in Cali due to the fact that the land is sooooo pricey, so that 200/sqft might only be say 130/sqft of actual building costs, the rest is the land (I have realtives in Monterey, and even crappy ground on the side of a huge slope goes for some serious bucks) so I think u made the best move:thumbup:. The geothermal unit sounds awesome too, my buddy who is an engineer is gonna add one to the house he's building to run his radiant floor system, and from what he said, they cost very little to run and are some of the most energy efficient systems you can own (can get pricey though; the peeps back in KS that I know that have them shelled out probably $10k for a system when it was all said and done(ran off of well system)). But yeah congrats on the awesome house Z, you gotta be frickin loaded to get a place like that in Cali, (man, if you're that loaded maybe I should just move out west and beg to work for you! :p)

A blog called "Narcissists suck" is definitely more reputable and better to cite than the DSM. Much more authoritative. :thumbup:
Okay... The blog has straightforward info in layman's terms, which I thought would be helpful. Obviously not to y'all.

But if you insist, here you go:
"Attention seeking: Excessive attempts to attract and be the focus of the attention of others; admiration seeking." - ninth and tenth pages down. Attention seeking and admiration are joined by a semi colon, indicating that they're independent clauses.

In chapter six of Malignant Self Love, Sam Vaknin PhD talks about how "The Primary Narcissistic Supply is attention, in both its public forms (fame, notoriety, infamy, celebrity) and its private, interpersonal forms (adoration, adulation, applause, fear, repulsion). It is important to understand that attention of any kind - positive or negative - Primary Narcissistic Supply. Infamy is as sought after as fame, being notorious is as being renowned."

Last edited:
You're taking this way too far lol

In the scenario you described...that is not narcissism. Sorry. All this copying and pasting doesn't make it true. It only detracts from the original intent of this thread. Narcissists don't like to be wrong/get in trouble for not doing something they think is right (and they think everything they do is right!).

Give it up already :rolleyes:

Definitely true. My buddy does this on wallstreet, works 80h/wk, and says he absolutely has to get out before he hits 30.

This is also not compatible with happy marriages, especially if they have children. There are some medical specialties that are this way too. See my earlier post about the transplant surgeon who transplanted himself to a critical access hospital in a small farming community with a sizable Amish population so he could remove gallbladders and fix hernias.

In the scenario you described...that is not narcissism. Sorry. All this copying and pasting doesn't make it true. It only detracts from the original intent of this thread. Narcissists don't like to be wrong/get in trouble for not doing something they think is right (and they think everything they do is right!).

These are indeed characteristics of narcissists.

It's a little ironic....

I'm being sincere... because the guy who was singing over the loud speaker, leaving piles of trash outside of the restroom exit, and leaving the store messy did some other stuff to me that I'm pretty embarrassed about, like critiquing my fingernails, lips, and lip gloss, professing his love, and being too chummy towards my boyfriend.
Edit: He would make comments about other parts of my body, too.
In fact, he was transferred out from another store because someone else complained about being sexually harassed by him.
Maybe I should go to therapy? :(

Some of the other narcissists still work in this area, so I can't say a lot about them... since they still work here!!! But a few other examples include: throwing away a handout for a patient that I had made, quizzing me, talking over people, and jumping between me and a customer at the register a few times.
Other employees will avoid that particular store, too. I'm not crazy. Promise. :scared:

I'm being sincere... because the guy who was singing over the loud speaker, leaving piles of trash outside of the restroom exit, and leaving the store messy did some other stuff to me that I'm pretty embarrassed about, like critiquing my fingernails, lips, and lip gloss, professing his love, and being too chummy towards my boyfriend.
Edit: He would make comments about other parts of my body, too.
In fact, he was transferred out from another store because someone else complained about being sexually harassed by him.
Maybe I should go to therapy? :(

Some of the other narcissists still work in this area, so I can't say a lot about them... since they still work here!!! But a few other examples include: throwing away a handout for a patient that I had made, quizzing me, talking over people, and jumping between me and a customer at the register a few times.
Other employees will avoid that particular store, too. I'm not crazy. Promise. :scared:

Dude. Or lady. I don't think you're crazy. I'm just saying... The person you work with just sounds like an *******. There is always one. If he is targeting you, though, maybe you should bring it up to management. It sounds like he's making your workplace hostile and that isn't cool...whether he's a true narcissist or not.

Oh... but now I think you're just paranoid. :p

Although I guess it's not paranoia if everyone REALLY is out to get you!

Reading between the lines is not my specialty. In fact, I suck at it. Ask my fiancée lol.

But there are, in fact, some people out to get me which now involves some higher level people. Remind me to tell you about it. Fortunately, I've fixed all my other problems from before. Life is good other than the *******s in my life! :D

And to clarify, the higher ups are protecting me :)

Thanks buddy! Your house sounds awesome! (and way more that I could afford :) ). Thing is, you did what I think is the ideal thing, which is to get a sweet foreclosure deal (did that on my last house and got a monster deal) which I think is especially true out in Cali due to the fact that the land is sooooo pricey, so that 200/sqft might only be say 130/sqft of actual building costs, the rest is the land (I have realtives in Monterey, and even crappy ground on the side of a huge slope goes for some serious bucks) so I think u made the best move:thumbup:. The geothermal unit sounds awesome too, my buddy who is an engineer is gonna add one to the house he's building to run his radiant floor system, and from what he said, they cost very little to run and are some of the most energy efficient systems you can own (can get pricey though; the peeps back in KS that I know that have them shelled out probably $10k for a system when it was all said and done(ran off of well system)). But yeah congrats on the awesome house Z, you gotta be frickin loaded to get a place like that in Cali, (man, if you're that loaded maybe I should just move out west and beg to work for you! :p)

Dood I ain't loaded but I don't have debt. Heck no mortgage as of today until we close.
It really is a cool house and the previous owner really put alot of effort into it. But he ran out of money I can tell. He never got around to landscape. I have a feeling I will run that diesel tractor to the ground.

And it look like the Geo unit uses an underground spring and the house has what appears to be a cistern. I really need to hook up with the previous owner but the rumor is through his financial woes his wife left him.

Last edited:
So....to get this thread back on track, to the OP....what was so bad about this job that caused your physiological response? I've always suspected you're an outlier. How do others cope with this place?? Or is it just you?

Page 2