Why is it okay for women to wear skirts but not for men to wear shorts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's 80 degrees and humid. I have swamp ass! Wearing long pants makes me gross and sweaty. Men in retail have to wear dress pants, a dress shirt and tie which is like being in a headlock all day. At least hospitals and LTCs allow scrubs, but you still have to wear pants.

Meanwhile women can wear whatever they want like dresses, skirts, shorts, rompers, blouses, V necks, round neck sleeveless tank tops, yoga pants, etc. Their skirts can go up halfway up their femur and it's cool. Some women wear mini skirts to work and you can almost see their butt cheeks which is very inappropriate. But men aren't allowed to wear shorts even if it goes past our knees. We just have to deal with the heat.

Whatever happened to gender equality in the workplace?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why okay for only men to go shirtless?

In all fairness, I would be thrilled if we had German style saunas in USA.

Just start identifying as a woman and wear a skirt. Problem solved.

I haven't worn a tie for years. Nobody cares what night shift people do.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why okay for only men to go shirtless?

In all fairness, I would be thrilled if we had German style saunas in USA.
Women can go shirtless too if you want to... But lets talk about workplace attire, not beach attire.

I don’t know…like shorts on men looking ”professional” is a headache in itself. Scrubs allowed at least? Choose your fabrics wisely for the season…night and day difference

had a former PIC (woman) wear pajamas one shift…ok she did have a flight to catch after her shift though

I hear that blow drying the intergluteal cleft, after showering and before putting on underwear, with spritz of Old Spice (don’t overdo it) below the waist works wonders.

With that said - my wife would not allow me to work in any pharmacy (or any workplace) where women show up to work topless. This could lead to distractions I would think.

Maybe if someone really wants to work in the nude, they could seek work at home options?

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah currently rocking scrubs with polyester spandex (7%) blend…slightly looser than fit, by no means baggy
other good fabrics for summer…rayon, Lyrca, modal, linen, cotton-spandex blend. Modal pajamas feels like nude

Yeah currently rocking scrubs with polyester spandex (7%) blend…slightly looser than fit, by no means baggy
other good fabrics for summer…rayon, Lyrca, modal, linen, cotton-spandex blend. Modal pajamas feels like nude

Modal pajamas - thank you for a Christmas/anniversary/birthday gift idea.

• Haha
It's 80 degrees and humid. I have swamp ass! Wearing long pants makes me gross and sweaty. Men in retail have to wear dress pants, a dress shirt and tie which is like being in a headlock all day. At least hospitals and LTCs allow scrubs, but you still have to wear pants.

Meanwhile women can wear whatever they want like dresses, skirts, shorts, rompers, blouses, V necks, round neck sleeveless tank tops, yoga pants, etc. Their skirts can go up halfway up their femur and it's cool. Some women wear mini skirts to work and you can almost see their butt cheeks which is very inappropriate. But men aren't allowed to wear shorts even if it goes past our knees. We just have to deal with the heat.

Yet another reason to move to New Zealand. I wore shorts and sandals to work in the summer. Unfortunately, it was too cold to do this all year.

Also, I noticed at a certain point that the physicians never wore shorts...seemed like it was physical therapists and orderlies, only....so I started thinking maybe I should dress up a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know…like shorts on men looking ”professional” is a headache in itself.

Are yoga pants and mini skirts professional? Some women dress like they're going to brunch on a Sunday or you know, to yoga class.

• Haha
Are yoga pants and mini skirts professional? Some women dress like they're going to brunch on a Sunday or you know, to yoga class.

Dude - don’t let yoga pants ruin your day. I know a guy that just yesterday found out he has gonorrhea. He said he got it from drinking a glass of water in a restaurant. Something about the ice…

Don’t ask me how this happens - I didn’t ask for details. I am suspicious too…

But anyway - this guy is having a bad day. The people wearing yoga pants have their own problems.

Would shorts even fix the problem of swamp butt?

Would shorts even fix the problem of swamp butt?

Maybe not but I'd be much more comfortable to have some airflow in the legs.

• Haha
I wear shorts all summer. Night shift...yep no one cares what we do.

Just wear a skirt and ask them why it's okay for women but not men when they complain. Get something in writing and you might have a gender discrimination lawsuit on your hands.

• Hmm
Private corporations can set their own workplace attire rules. But they can't discriminate against gender.
So yes, if a woman is allowed to wear attire that you aren't allowed to, you probably have grounds to complain.

The real question is why your workplace isn't climate controlled. Many drugs are heat sensitive, so if its too hot for you, likely the drugs in your pharmacy are at risk of breaking down.

• Wow
Just wear a skirt and ask them why it's okay for women but not men when they complain. Get something in writing and you might have a gender discrimination lawsuit on your hands.

A Scottish kilt would be a good alternative if you don't want to wear an actual skirt.

A Scottish kilt would be a good alternative if you don't want to wear an actual skirt.

This is a good idea. If the swamp ass is such a problem you could even put a Vornado on the floor under your workstation and have it blowing directly under the kilt.

• Hmm

My goodness! Have you ever been below the Mason-Dixon line?! 80 Degrees is nothing!

People do live in Louisiana for your information!!

• Sad
Ok so it’s settled… @mentos is to go to work wearing a skirt (social experiment) and video record everyones‘ reactions and any consequences and post back here. Political correctness, gender equality, double standards, etc. galore

• Love
Ok yeah…the double standards on yoga pants at least…I mean what if a man decided to wear some “booty licious” form fitting, revealing albeit black tights. So glad I no longer go to public gyms and encounter these young attention ****** (uh yeah cover up…is what their father would say)…it’s awkward no matter what encountering these type of people (yes even if they are trying to get your attention doing booty exercises directly in front/next to you even though there’s plenty of space)

• Haha
Ok yeah…the double standards on yoga pants at least…I mean what if a man decided to wear some “booty licious” form fitting, revealing albeit black tights. So glad I no longer go to public gyms and encounter these young attention ****** (uh yeah cover up…is what their father would say)…it’s awkward no matter what encountering these type of people (yes even if they are trying to get your attention doing booty exercises directly in front/next to you even though there’s plenty of space)
What’s wrong with form fitting? Do you also hate compression shorts? Form fitting clothing is better for muscle support and circulation. Also what makes you think their “booty” exercises are for your attention rather than their benefit of doing a simple workout at the gym like any other person? Just because they’re in close proximity to you doesn’t mean they’re trying to get your attention. Do you think they should be sequestered away in a corner for your comfort? Where do you get off calling women who are minding their own business at the gym and working out attention ******? Honestly you give off serious creep vibes.

• Haha
What’s wrong with form fitting? Do you also hate compression shorts? Form fitting clothing is better for muscle support and circulation. Also what makes you think their “booty” exercises are for your attention rather than their benefit of doing a simple workout at the gym like any other person? Just because they’re in close proximity to you doesn’t mean they’re trying to get your attention. Do you think they should be sequestered away in a corner for your comfort? Where do you get off calling women who are minding their own business at the gym and working out attention ******? Honestly you give off serious creep vibes.
This forum is populated entirely by old white men. I'm not sure what happened to the students.

Just jump on the boujee train with me and take a stroll through Lulu where you will find the airiest pants you have ever tried on in your life. Just make sure to close your eyes when you go to pay for them so you don't faint when you see the price.

Ok if you say strolling around public places half naked is ok/totally normal, then I’m afraid we are on different pages

Ok if you say strolling around public places half naked is ok/totally normal, then I’m afraid we are on different pages
What exactly are you complaining about? First it was tights, now it’s about people being half naked? Let me guess, you also hate seeing women working out in sports bras. 🙄
You seem to have a problem with ignoring people at the gym that are minding their business.

What exactly are you complaining about? First it was tights, now it’s about people being half naked? Let me guess, you also hate seeing women working out in sports bras. 🙄
You seem to have a problem with ignoring people at the gym that are minding their business.
Yeah, no, let’s just both stop posting. Clearly the jokes in this thread do not mesh well with your seriousness in the matter

• Haha
This forum is populated entirely by old white men. I'm not sure what happened to the students.

I am just curious - what does race have anything to do with anything that is being discussed? Was it the swamp ass and/or the Vornado crotch that tipped it off?

I would agree though - this forum has become completely devoid of students. I do remember back around 2012 or so when this forum was very rich with students/pharmacists.

• Haha
SDN: actively discourages students from studying pharmacy, routinely insults new grads
Also SDN: why don't we have students on this forum any more?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I'm totally okay with a guy wearing yoga pants. Doubt most of them can pull it off though.

It doesn't help with being hot from wearing pants, but you could try some Lume for your swamp ass.