Okay. I'm finally ready to say it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rph3664

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I left the profession in February. :eek:

In January I had a panic attack that landed me in the ER, and several weeks later, having lost 15 pounds (do you know how hard it is for a middle-aged woman to do that?) I realized that my job was literally killing me, and I quit that day. Yes, I know I burned a bridge by doing this, but I would have ended up IN that hospital if I had stayed one more day.

In the meantime, I moved back to the city where I used to live (I loved living there, and kept my friends from there too) and for the time being, I have traded my white coat for an orange apron. :D After years of working in windowless basements, I now work outdoors, and let's just say I get to counsel people on how to plant tomatoes, impatiens, and fruit trees, especially now that word has gotten around that I am an avid gardener and actually know about plants. The compliance rate is probably the same as it is for prescriptions, KWIM? :idea: It's temporary and part-time, but hey, it's something. I'm going to keep my licenses and join the local professional organization, but I have no desire to go back to active practice at this time. As those of us who are experienced know, it's rapidly morphing into something unrecognizable, and speaking only for myself, in recent days I've seen 3 news reports about women who made abrupt career changes in their 40s and 50s, and ZOMG can I relate to that!

I could theoretically retire right now, but I really don't want to. My current job is temporary, and after it ends in July or August, I'll look for something where I can get health insurance which is my biggest concern.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Good for you! I hope that you enjoy doing what you really love! Did you have the panic attack because of the daily pharmacist duties or because of the people/work environment?

I wish you the best of luck with wherever your future takes you.

Don't be afraid to pop back here from time to time and say hello!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
That is awesome! Health should be your number one priority. Just curious, did you work retail or hospital and what was the straw that broke the camel's back? I started pharmacy about 5 years ago and am still plotting a way to get out.

Reactions: 1 user
That's good to hear. You can't pursue happiness if your health is not intact.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a job that pays 6 figures and is NOT stressful, tiring, and hard on your health. Besides winning the big lotto, I really can't think of any other way....If there was such a thing as an easy job that paid 6 or 7 figures I would be doing it right now. LOL...

I wish you luck in finding one!

Good for you! I hope that you enjoy doing what you really love! Did you have the panic attack because of the daily pharmacist duties or because of the people/work environment?

It was DEFINITELY not the people; I worked with the best people you could ever imagine, and this hospital is a top-notch facility with great employee morale. You walk in, and people are all smiling - how often do you see that, anywhere? There was just something about it that I couldn't handle, and I really admire my co-workers for being able to do it.

SHC1984, there are jobs that are stressful and don't have to be, KWIM? In those cases, it's usually the people, but certainly not in this case.

As for the place that canned me in 2010, I'm still in touch with a lot of those colleagues through Facebook, and the pharmacists are mostly still there but techs are bailing left and right. People who live in that town now avoid that hospital if possible, because it's acquired such a bad reputation in the community - probably because they tossed out all the best people. ;) Like I said before, I've been told multiple times that they did me a huge favor, and I know now that they were right. My anger and frustration in the months that followed came not so much from the job loss but from the attitude of employers once they found out I was a licensed pharmacist.

I met with a career counselor at the community college after I moved, and that was a total waste of his time and mine. One of my friends used to work with him, and said he was a really nice guy and she was right but he's accustomed to working with teenagers, not people who have been in the workforce almost as long as he's been on the planet. Pretty much all he did was go to Indeed.com and show me want ads that were transcribed from local newspapers.

ETA: The move went very smoothly, except that one of my cats pooped in his carrier less than 10 minutes from our destination.

I remember you now. You were talking about leaving the field for a very long time now b/c it is stressing you out.

Name one job that is stress-free, fun, relaxing, easy, never tiring, etc. etc. AND pay six figures. I am just curious on what you think on this one.

Even if you take the six figures part OUT....I think we all will be hard pressed to think of an easy, stress-free, and fun job. Even jobs that pay $15 dollars an hour are very hard and stressful....so what makes you think you can find one that pays $60/hr without stress? doesn't make any sense to me.

I am just saying all jobs for the most part sucks. We all prefer not to work if we don't have to...you just kinda remind me of a friend that told me one time..I gotta quit my job it's so stressful and tiring, I gotta get an easy job that pays tons of money...and I am here thinking WHAT JOB are you talking about? :confused::laugh: I'll be hard pressed to name just ONE stress-free job right now...

I'm not looking for the "tons of money" thing. I KNEW pharmacy school would be hard and the practice challenging when I decided that was what I wanted to do, and found out what the salaries were (35-40K in the mid 1980s).

I'll just BOLO for something stable. Good grief, LIFE is stressful, and if you can do something about it, why suffer unnecessarily?

When I was at the old hospital, I saw a newspaper story about a critical access facility in a nearby town that got a new general surgeon. He had come to this rural area from a big city hospital, where he specialized in kidney, pancreas, and liver transplant surgery. We all thought that either he burned out, or he ticked someone off big time, and we asked a pharmacist whose husband worked at the CA facility and she said it was the former. He still wanted to do surgery, just in a lower stress environment, and so he packed up and moved.

The lawyer I had to consult to get my unemployment told me about a local colleague who realized he'd burned out, so he closed his practice and got a job at a local telemarketing firm. Sorry, but I would think THAT would be more stressful than practicing law!

And I can name a half dozen teachers off the top of my head who left education because of No Child Left Behind, often at huge personal and financial cost. When that travesty is repealed, they plan to return to the classroom.

I'm not looking for the "tons of money" thing. I KNEW pharmacy school would be hard and the practice challenging when I decided that was what I wanted to do, and found out what the salaries were (35-40K in the mid 1980s).

I'll just BOLO for something stable. Good grief, LIFE is stressful, and if you can do something about it, why suffer unnecessarily?

When I was at the old hospital, I saw a newspaper story about a critical access facility in a nearby town that got a new general surgeon. He had come to this rural area from a big city hospital, where he specialized in kidney, pancreas, and liver transplant surgery. We all thought that either he burned out, or he ticked someone off big time, and we asked a pharmacist whose husband worked at the CA facility and she said it was the former. He still wanted to do surgery, just in a lower stress environment, and so he packed up and moved.

The lawyer I had to consult to get my unemployment told me about a local colleague who realized he'd burned out, so he closed his practice and got a job at a local telemarketing firm. Sorry, but I would think THAT would be more stressful than practicing law!

And I can name a half dozen teachers off the top of my head who left education because of No Child Left Behind, often at huge personal and financial cost. When that travesty is repealed, they plan to return to the classroom.

It's all about the quality of life, man. Would you rather make a decent salary, but be so stressed and miserable that your physical health takes a toll, OR make an okay salary, do what feels right, and you're happy and live comfortably (although not insanely rich, but mo' money = mo' problems, right? :laugh:).

But it sounds like you're headed toward the right direction. Pharmacy will forever change whether it will get better or worse. However, right now, it doesn't look optimistic. Anyways, I've known a lot of people who were in their 50's and changed career paths, and it was the best thing that ever happened to them. I commend you for your efforts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you made the right decision! Please keep us updated on your life and your next steps. I wish you the best. :luck:

Unfortunately, I can't think of a job that pays 6 figures and is NOT stressful, tiring, and hard on your health. Besides winning the big lotto

If your name and face is published in news articles saying you won the lotto, there will be plenty of stress after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congressman/Senator.

:laugh:

Their retirement plan's pretty cushy, that I do know.

And I sent a license renewal in today's mail. Who knows - I may change my mind next week. We'll see what happens!

I'm also a middle-aged woman trying to reinvent the job since I entered the profession in, um, 1986. I've worked retail, both small independents and large chains, hospital and a 4-year stint at a methadone clinic pharmacy. I ended up working in a jail mainly because I hate, loathe and despise retail pharmacy with a passion bordering on mania.

While it's generally true that high-paying jobs have more stress, it's different kinds of stress, depending on the job. My current job sometimes requires that I take work home, and I don't mind that (right now I'm home in the evening, taking a break from reviewing the alcohol withdrawal policy). At the methadone clinic where I used to work, the boss and some of the pharmacists loved the fast-paced, sassy, almost free-of-senior-citizens work environment, while I would be almost catatonic after dispensing, say, 400 methadone doses in 6 hours.

You find the kind of stress you can stand, or don't mind so much.

You need to understand stress. Stress free life isn't what its cracked up to be and at the same time stress isn't solely caused by external factors such as job or stimuli. The real reason for stress depends on how you respond to stimuli surrounding your life. To say you don't want stress in your job is meaningless. Its how you handle it will determine how you thrive in your job setting and in your life. You could live in a Buddhist temple and all the serenity you want yet you can still face stress.

Its up to you to control and mange your stress to optimize your life not control your surroundings. Or you can keep running away from it. But you can't run forever. You have to face it and take control.

Reactions: 1 user
Its up to you to control and mange your stress to optimize your life not control your surroundings. Or you can keep running away from it. But you can't run forever. You have to face it and take control.
You can control your surroundings. It's called being "proactive"... or a narcissist.

You can control your surroundings. It's called being "proactive"... or a narcissist.

Being proactive has nothing to do with controlling your environment. Being proactive means taking the initiative to complete a task by setting goals and creating opportunities instead of being reactive and wait for a task of opportunity to come around. One can be proactive in changing the surroundings as much as being proactive in saving money.

This is a famous Covey's habit #1.... an overplayed term today.

Narcissist? Go read Hermann Hesse and let's discuss. Not sure how it has anything to do with controlling the surroundings...

Being proactive has nothing to do with controlling your environment. Being proactive means taking the initiative to complete a task by setting goals and creating opportunities instead of being reactive and wait for a task of opportunity to come around. One can be proactive in changing the surroundings as much as being proactive in saving money.

This is a famous Covey's habit #1.... an overplayed term today.

Narcissist? Go read Hermann Hesse and let's discuss. Not sure how it has anything to do with controlling the surroundings...
Yes, it does have something to do with controlling your environment. Plenty, actually.
The second definition says: "acting in anticipation of future problems, needs or changes".

Again, narcissism has plenty to do with controlling your environment. See: narcissistic personality disorder ... "take advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals" and "pursue mainly selfish goals".
I refuse to work at certain stores because of narcissists. Screw being exploited as narcissistic supply.

Is this a stupid argument, too?

images

Meanie. Geez...

Obviously you can't proactively control your surroundings like you claim you can if you refuse to work with Narcissists. You have proactively avoided the situation which is hardly controlling your surroundings, rather running away from it.

Again, "proactive" is just an adjective that can be used to support a wide variety of actions not just limited to "controlling your surrounding." Narcissism is just a noun to describe "self love." These are 2 words that can be used to construct and support many different sentences but rarely used to describe controlling the stimuli of stressor in people's environment.

Obviously you can't proactively control your surroundings like you claim you can if you refuse to work with Narcissists. You have proactively avoided the situation which is hardly controlling your surroundings, rather running away from it.

Again, "proactive" is just an adjective that can be used to support a wide variety of actions not just limited to "controlling your surrounding." Narcissism is just a noun to describe "self love." These are 2 words that can be used to construct and support many different sentences but rarely used to describe controlling the stimuli of stressor in people's environment.

Hmm... good point.

Ah, SDN forums are also great for learning English now! :laugh:

Running away from what? Extra shifts? Last time I checked, we don't have mandatory overtime, and so I get to decide if I work there or not. :idea: Just like I get to decide what flavor of ice cream I would like to buy, too. :cool:

I didn't say "proactive" was limited to anything. It is defined as "acting in anticipation of future problems, needs or changes", though.

What does "rarely used to describe controlling the stimuli of stressor in people's environment" have to do with anything?

I find narcissists to be pretty entertaining. Flattery typically works with narcissists too. People mistake arrogance for narcissism and vice versa. Narcissists are the least of your worries in the workplace, IMO. Now, borderline personality disorder or antisocial personality disorders are far more worrisome. No medications can help, either :p

My local Welcome Wagon package included a coupon for a free haircut, and yesterday evening, I took advantage of it. This salon has a massage therapist who is also a licensed chiropractor, and he said he makes more money as a LCMT than he did as a chiropractor.

Demian, Siddhartha, Glass Bead Game, Steppenwolf? I've read the first two but never been able to finish the last two. Its funny as in one of Jack Kerouac's books (I believe it was Big Sur) he talks about being up in the fire watch tower at a national park trying to read Steppenwolf and thinking it was quite boring. I found it quite amusing that my favorite author was having the same thoughts about the same book about 60 years or so before I did. I found the premise of the Glass Bead Game to be intriguing but have yet to pick it back up...maybe I'll have time during rotations :rolleyes:

I'm happy that you are happy. That is what matters most.

Last edited:
Demian, Siddhartha, Glass Bead Game, Steppenwolf? I've read the first two but never been able to finish the last two. Its funny as in one of Jack Kerouac's books (I believe it was Big Sur) he talks about being up in the fire watch tower at a national park trying to read Steppenwolf and thinking it was quite boring. I found it quite amusing that my favorite author was having the same thoughts about the same book about 60 years or so before I did. I found the premise of the Glass Bead Game to be intriguing but have yet to pick it back up...maybe I'll have time during rotations :rolleyes:

Narcissism? Narcissus and Goldmund.

This thread is becoming awesome.

Can we talk about tractors? I need one....with a bucket....backhoe and auger attachment. Im starting an orchard on our property.

I thought you were talking hesse in general. Never have ran across that title. I dig hesse though so I'll look into it.

Awesome book. Read it my freshman year in college when I didn't want to study for Gen chemical and Bio....in 1985.

Awesome book. Read it my freshman year in college when I didn't want to study for Gen chemical and Bio....in 1985.

I was born in '83. :smuggrin:

So tell me about tractors....can I raid your orchard? ;) I'll bring In N Out for a picnic, animal fries and all.

I was born in '83. :smuggrin:

So tell me about tractors....can I raid your orchard? ;) I'll bring In N Out for a picnic, animal fries and all.

Im in CA yo....in-n-out down the street. Come by anywho.

Can we talk about tractors? I need one....with a bucket....backhoe and auger attachment. Im starting an orchard on our property.

Z, you should totally look for a used one ESP if you just need a small/med sized tractor, I found an 06 Kubota with low hrs and all attachments (bucket, backhoe, auger, brushhog) for 5k last summer. Or if you wanna go big time you can get a real backhoe (deer, case, etc) for pretty cheap at equipment auctions, but these are usually more difficult to work on, so you may be better off with a newer compact tractor (kubota, etc)

Z, you should totally look for a used one ESP if you just need a small/med sized tractor, I found an 06 Kubota with low hrs and all attachments (bucket, backhoe, auger, brushhog) for 5k last summer. Or if you wanna go big time you can get a real backhoe (deer, case, etc) for pretty cheap at equipment auctions, but these are usually more difficult to work on, so you may be better off with a newer compact tractor (kubota, etc)

I will give you $6k for your kubota right now.

My local Welcome Wagon package included a coupon for a free haircut, and yesterday evening, I took advantage of it. This salon has a massage therapist who is also a licensed chiropractor, and he said he makes more money as a LCMT than he did as a chiropractor.

Must have been a crappy chiropractor, guys I know are seeing at least 100+ patients/wk, which is about 4-5k a week, and even if overhead was 50% (usually runs 35-40% since there is no high dollar variable costs like dentists, etc have with materials for each patient) that would be 2-2.5k/wk net, I don't know any MT s making that dough. BUT, in defense of what you said, there seem to be only two types of people in chiropractic, great successes and failures, so it seems like people either make it big or they struggle and are out of the field after 5-7 years; maybe he was in the latter group.

you better believe I'm going to hit you up when I get out that way. :D

You know how to work a tractor and patch pot holes on the gravel road?

I will give you $6k for your kubota right now.

Haha, yeah I just don't think you'd come out ahead when you shipped it all the way out to Cali! But seriously, there should be something out your way especially if you don't have to have one right this second; just check craigslist and the local equipment trader websites/magazines every morning (should only take a couple minutes) and you never know what might pop up! (oh and definitely bring cash for more bargaining power, can probably knock off another 5-20% off if you're a good negotiator, which I'd imagine you are :)

Must have been a crappy chiropractor, guys I know are seeing at least 100+ patients/wk, which is about 4-5k a week, and even if overhead was 50% (usually runs 35-40% since there is no high dollar variable costs like dentists, etc have with materials for each patient) that would be 2-2.5k/wk net, I don't know any MT s making that dough. BUT, in defense of what you said, there seem to be only two types of people in chiropractic, great successes and failures, so it seems like people either make it big or they struggle and are out of the field after 5-7 years; maybe he was in the latter group.

In most places, that's true, but there also happens to be a college of chiropractic right here in town, and so many of them want to continue living here that it seems there's one on every street corner. It's very difficult to make a living at it here for that reason.

I used to work with a pharmacist who, after doing that for over 20 years, went to chiropractic school. He moved away for a while and worked as a chiropractor while he was living there, and later moved back for personal reasons and while he's still a licensed DC, he went back to working in pharmacy. He's pretty close to retirement age by now.

In most places, that's true, but there also happens to be a college of chiropractic right here in town, and so many of them want to continue living here that it seems there's one on every street corner. It's very difficult to make a living at it here for that reason.

Makes perfect sense, I think that even has some bearing on the pharmacy job prospects/pay in areas where there is a pharm school, although not nearly to the same extent as chiros experience.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a job that pays 6 figures and is NOT stressful, tiring, and hard on your health. Besides winning the big lotto, I really can't think of any other way....If there was such a thing as an easy job that paid 6 or 7 figures I would be doing it right now. LOL...

I wish you luck in finding one!

I don't think there is a job out there that isn't stressful or tiring. It is just how you cope with it. I personally play a lot of COD and CSS, but that is just me.

Oh, excuse me. Just passing through. I didn't realize this was Student Farmers Network.

Is it kubota class B

Where approx in CA are you? Here are just a few just now off Fresno's CL so if u r by a big metro LA/SanJose/SF/SD u should have even better luck

Kubota m no B/H
http://fresno.craigslist.org/for/3019902812.html
Case

http://fresno.craigslist.org/for/2961376028.html
Deere (SD)
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/grd/2999996573.html

U get the idea, should be able to get a decent big boy backhoe/loader for 8-12k or medium tractor (kubota/Deere) for similar price w/all implements, or 5-9k w/o. I also hear that u can get pretty good deals on the mid size that cub cadet makes for say 14-15k brand new w/one implement, but if it were me, I'd go with the Case/Deere full backhoe if I could find a good one; this way you'd never be needing something w/more power like what u might run into with the smaller deere/kubotas

You know how to work a tractor and patch pot holes on the gravel road?

I am willing to learn anything. If this pharmacy thing doesn't pan out, there are lots of potholes to patch in Tucson roads. Work is work to me. Gotta make a living. Do you offer health benefits? Relocation assistance? :smuggrin:

I am willing to learn anything. If this pharmacy thing doesn't pan out, there are lots of potholes to patch in Tucson roads. Work is work to me. Gotta make a living. Do you offer health benefits? Relocation assistance? :smuggrin:

Farm and road work will keep you healthy. You don't need no stinkin health insurance.

Where approx in CA are you? Here are just a few just now off Fresno's CL so if u r by a big metro LA/SanJose/SF/SD u should have even better luck

Kubota m no B/H
http://fresno.craigslist.org/for/3019902812.html
Case

http://fresno.craigslist.org/for/2961376028.html
Deere (SD)
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/grd/2999996573.html

U get the idea, should be able to get a decent big boy backhoe/loader for 8-12k or medium tractor (kubota/Deere) for similar price w/all implements, or 5-9k w/o. I also hear that u can get pretty good deals on the mid size that cub cadet makes for say 14-15k brand new w/one implement, but if it were me, I'd go with the Case/Deere full backhoe if I could find a good one; this way you'd never be needing something w/more power like what u might run into with the smaller deere/kubotas

I'm not close to Fresno... man those are some good looking machines.

Why do you have a tractor?