OK to call current residents at programs with questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddoc1979

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you all think it would be ok if I called alums of my medical school who are now residents at programs I've been invited to interview at. I didn't know them when they were in med school (a couple years ahead of me). I was thinking I might send an email or something to introduce myself and inquire whether they had a few minutes to spare for a short phone conversation about the program. Is this ok or should I do this after I interview?

Members don't see this ad.

If you called me, it would take me a second to overcome my surprise but then I would be glad to help you...

Other more introverted or private people might feel stalked or just annoyed. You may get knocked for it.

I have not been in this situation BUT if it were me...
I would wait til interview day. You may chance into them more naturally and have a good conversation. You could also ask fellow residents if that person would mind you calling them.

Good luck!

You may be misled if you depend solely on the interview visit for your information. The honest programs may be candid and seem less than stellar. The really bad programs may be so dishonest that you think they are the best. I've seen it.

If you want a good picture, you must talk with current and former residents, INCLUDING those that did not like the program. Even former residents may paint a rosy picture. If you hear the worst opinion, you may find that there is merit to their complaints.

During interviews, I have heard fellow residents say how my program is so good. They omitted why it's not very good. Overall, I have a very positive opinion of my program but recognize that there are real negatives about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
maddoc1979 said:
I was just wondering if you all think it would be ok if I called alums of my medical school who are now residents at programs I've been invited to interview at. I didn't know them when they were in med school (a couple years ahead of me). I was thinking I might send an email or something to introduce myself and inquire whether they had a few minutes to spare for a short phone conversation about the program. Is this ok or should I do this after I interview?

E-mail first. As some of you know, I am willing to discuss issues via phone. Other residents may or may not have the same philosophy, so inquire by e-mail to determine if they are willing to talk.

I think I'd feel uncomfortable contacting the residents beforehand, but definitely get their contact info when you meet them on interview day so you can ask follow-up questions once you've had time to digest all the info.