OKAPs and Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KipHackman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are OKAP scores to fellowship match? Does an average OKAP score prevent applicants from matching into competitive fellowships (e.g. surgical retina)? And do employers/practices care about these when applying for jobs after training?

Members don't see this ad.

There’s absolutely zero importance. Surgical retina match has become fairly less competitive than before. There were tons of open spots last year. Maybe because cataract/refractive/migs (comp) can be fairly lucrative with a better lifestyle? Who knows. Ofc the fellowships at top places will always remain competitive - so residency prestige, letters, and research will matter much more at these places.

I think there’s 3 or so places that ask for okaps scores but that’s it. No one else cares.

I’ve never heard of jobs asking for okaps scores.

Last edited:
I was asked for okap scores at various places but that’s a while back (surgical retina). COVID had a lot to do with the unfilled spots as the interview cycle was severely affected. I think surgical retina will continue to be competitive and these past few match cycles were strange. Will see.

That said, I still wouldn’t worry much about okap scores for fellowship applications. Word of mouth, letters of rec way more important. And zero importance for jobs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
zero importance for fellowships. A couple of programs ask for them at most. None of the top places asked for them.

Having said that, your own program might judge you based on your score

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who reviews fellowship applications, if it someone scores high, it will often make it onto the chairman or program director's letter of recommendation. There are only so many things they can talk about. Seeing someone with an amazing OKAP does add a little bit to the overall application. There are definitely a lot of other factors that slot in above it.

It doesn't matter AT ALL for jobs.

Reactions: 1 users