OIS/OBC/COT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the dates are for FY 2010 Navy ODS classes? Particularly interested in the classes this fall/winter.

Thanks.

Just email "[email protected]" and ask them for the dates if they have been scheduled.

Members don't see this ad.

A few questions about OBC:

1. Is it a good idea to break in a good pair of boots ahead of time?

2. Reading the thread, it seems like it's a good idea to bring a laptop to COT. Is it the same with OBC at Ft. Sam?

3. What kind of housing will we be in for OBC? Tents? Hotel?

Also, if anyone could give an idea of what OBC will be like, that'd be appreciated. I tried to look through the nurse blog link that someone posted but it there were a lot of posts to sift through.

2. Reading the thread, it seems like it's a good idea to bring a laptop to COT. Is it the same with OBC at Ft. Sam?

Also, if anyone could give an idea of what OBC will be like, that'd be appreciated. I tried to look through the nurse blog link that someone posted but it there were a lot of posts to sift through.
Bring a laptop. You stay in what is basically a hotel, with no roomate, and get free internet. My room had an ethernet cord already but some did not so it may be a good idea to bring your own (no wi-fi). M-F you get your room cleaned by maid service as well.

You are in tents (air conditioned) while in the field at Camp Bullis but you'll be pleasantly surprised with the digs on base.

Members don't see this ad :)

oh, and look through this thread a little more carefully for details, pics, etc.

1) I highly recommend doing that, especially if you got a pair of Belleviews or Bates. If you pony up and get a pair of Danners or Blackhawks, they literally require no break in. (I own a pair of blackhawks and will never regret it, no matter how ugly they are)

2)Bring you laptop to Ft. Sam. You have internet access in the barracks you will be at.

3) For most of the course, you are in the barracks. It's basically like a hotel, as mentioned above. Only difference is they don't clean as often and the customer service sucks! Then again, thats the army way..HOOAH! When you are at Camp Bullis, you will be in a tent and you will be issued a cot. These tents are "climate controlled" but only when they actually work. I had OBC in November and our heaters never worked! It got down to about 18 degrees some nights!

Another thing you didnt ask but you may want to do is buy your PT gear before you get to Ft Sam. The DCSS (clothing and supply store) has not had any PT gear since last December. Seriously! I also recommend getting 2 sets of PT uniforms.

I am off to COT myself in July and am a little concerned about my severe lack of upper arm strength and the amount of water we have to drink at each meal. Do you really have to drink 3 full glasses of water and then do you have to sit through hours of classes after that?
I've heard that the most important thing is to "try" the obstacle course with a good attitude. I am going to build up my weight training for my arms, but not sure I'll be able to jump walls and propel myself along the dual bars.
Oh one more thing..I'll be a captain, so do they pick on us more?
Any advice?

I am off to COT myself in July and am a little concerned about my severe lack of upper arm strength and the amount of water we have to drink at each meal. Do you really have to drink 3 full glasses of water and then do you have to sit through hours of classes after that?
I've heard that the most important thing is to "try" the obstacle course with a good attitude. I am going to build up my weight training for my arms, but not sure I'll be able to jump walls and propel myself along the dual bars.
Oh one more thing..I'll be a captain, so do they pick on us more?
Any advice?

Just try to seriously work on your upper body strength until that time. I would especially focus on push ups. You'd be surprised at how much you can improve in a short amount of time.

You will be required to drink 3 glasses of water at each meal. There isn't any way of getting around that.

The obstacle course can suck if you don't have upper body strength. Just have a good attitude and try your best. It doesn't "count" for anything, so if you can't do some of the obstacles don't beat yourself up about it.

They don't really pick on the Captains that much more, unless you volunteer for one of the big class officer positions.

1) I highly recommend doing that, especially if you got a pair of Belleviews or Bates. If you pony up and get a pair of Danners or Blackhawks, they literally require no break in. (I own a pair of blackhawks and will never regret it, no matter how ugly they are)

2)Bring you laptop to Ft. Sam. You have internet access in the barracks you will be at.

3) For most of the course, you are in the barracks. It's basically like a hotel, as mentioned above. Only difference is they don't clean as often and the customer service sucks! Then again, thats the army way..HOOAH! When you are at Camp Bullis, you will be in a tent and you will be issued a cot. These tents are "climate controlled" but only when they actually work. I had OBC in November and our heaters never worked! It got down to about 18 degrees some nights!

Another thing you didnt ask but you may want to do is buy your PT gear before you get to Ft Sam. The DCSS (clothing and supply store) has not had any PT gear since last December. Seriously! I also recommend getting 2 sets of PT uniforms.

Thanks so much for the info, especially on the boots! I didn't even think about the PT gear yet, good call.

Thanks so much for the info, especially on the boots! I didn't even think about the PT gear yet, good call.
The Blackhawks were backordered by a few weeks to a month as of about a month ago. If you look to get them, give yourself plenty of time. lapolicegear.com had them for the cheapest price I found ($99).

You will be required to drink 3 glasses of water at each meal. There isn't any way of getting around that.

Jeez... are there a lot of bathroom breaks during the day? I have a tiny bladder.

I HIGHLY recommend the Danner TFX Rough-Out boot. I've had a pair for a year and half now and I have nothing but great things to say about them. I've worn them for weeks to the field as well as in garrison and they hold up real well. Goret-x lined and AR 670-1 approved. Here is the info on them: http://www.danner.com/product/military+boots/tactical/desert+tfx+gtx+rough+out+military+boots.do

You can buy them cheaper here though (this is where I got them)- #26016: http://www.mothersofmilitarysupport.momsservices.org/military.html

I found this website that has a TON of OBLC pics. This brought back a lot of memories because a lot of the facilities they used and the FTX location were the same places I was at when I was at FT Sam Houston for 4 months doing the Combat Medic course. Check it out:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563212761sBqHmC

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we get reimbursed for uniform purchases? I got an email from the OBLC class advisor Cpt. Rivera stating that we should show up with as much of our uniform as possible. Also, do we need our dress blue uniforms at OBLC? Maybe for graduation?

One last question, does anyone have any good websites to order ACU's or name tapes for a good price?

Does anyone know when we get reimbursed for uniform purchases? I got an email from the OBLC class advisor Cpt. Rivera stating that we should show up with as much of our uniform as possible. Also, do we need our dress blue uniforms at OBLC? Maybe for graduation?

One last question, does anyone have any good websites to order ACU's or name tapes for a good price?
I've been told the $400 uniform allowance is usually included in one of your first few paychecks. But with OBLC starting 14 June, don't expect to receive a paycheck until probably mid or late July. There's always a delay.

I recommend www.rangerjoes.com or www.uscav.com for uniform purchases. I've used both of them for a long time and no complaints.

we dont get "reimbursed" for uniforms. We get a 1 time allowance, which as dwb said, is 400$

I've been told the $400 uniform allowance is usually included in one of your first few paychecks. But with OBLC starting 14 June, don't expect to receive a paycheck until probably mid or late July. There's always a delay.

I recommend www.rangerjoes.com or www.uscav.com for uniform purchases. I've used both of them for a long time and no complaints.

If memory serves me correct, I got $600 for uniforms.

but yeah, listen to CPT Rivera...She is right on about getting uniforms before coming to OBC. Plus the FT Sam uniform store never has anything in stock

Ok, so i know this is pathetic for someone who is considering joining the AF...but I am scared of heights. I mean, I can fly just fine, and ride elevators, all that jazz...but i am terrified of exposed heights: roller-coasters, open bridges...rope courses....

So my question re: COT is how much in the way of heights do you have to be exposed to? I know there is the rope course, are there other obstacle courses that also require you to go up and down a lot? I am willing to give it a try, and will have a good attitude, but what happens if you simply cant do it. I am just scared I will get out there on a rope and freak out...has this ever happened?

Also, in terms of the physical, do we just go to MEPS ahead of time, or is it more involved? I have a little dental work that probably needs to be done, and if I am going to have a military dentist in my mouth, I am thinking I might want to go to a gentler civilian dentist before hand. :) But if it is just an "open and say AHH" inspection, I will wait until my reduced cost military benefits kick in. :)

Oh, and one last thing...I have a personal laptop I would take, but it has LED lights on the front...is this something that could get me into trouble in the AF? I didnt know if it would not be "conservative" enough.

Thanks for any and all responses! :)

Ok, so i know this is pathetic for someone who is considering joining the AF...but I am scared of heights. I mean, I can fly just fine, and ride elevators, all that jazz...but i am terrified of exposed heights: roller-coasters, open bridges...rope courses....

So my question re: COT is how much in the way of heights do you have to be exposed to? I know there is the rope course, are there other obstacle courses that also require you to go up and down a lot? I am willing to give it a try, and will have a good attitude, but what happens if you simply cant do it. I am just scared I will get out there on a rope and freak out...has this ever happened?

Also, in terms of the physical, do we just go to MEPS ahead of time, or is it more involved? I have a little dental work that probably needs to be done, and if I am going to have a military dentist in my mouth, I am thinking I might want to go to a gentler civilian dentist before hand. :) But if it is just an "open and say AHH" inspection, I will wait until my reduced cost military benefits kick in. :)

Oh, and one last thing...I have a personal laptop I would take, but it has LED lights on the front...is this something that could get me into trouble in the AF? I didnt know if it would not be "conservative" enough.

Thanks for any and all responses! :)

There is a ropes course, rappeling down a tower, walking on a 15 foot log at the top the same tower, and climbing a wall.

No one will see your personal laptop, so it won't matter.

I have no idea about the dental inspection. I can't remember if there really was one.

So in the Navy officers training are we required to swim a whole lot, after all it is the navy.

Thanks!

If you are a confident swimmer, you will swim two times during ODS: once closer to the beginning for the class III swim test, and once towards the end for a training exercise. You'll be in swimsuits and some soggy khakis.

If you are a weak swimmer unable to pass the swim test, you will be taking remedial swim lessons several times per week during ODS. Swimsuits only.

If your company is degenerate, you might have to "swim" briefly in the water by the sand pit. :p

Hey,

Quick questions about glasses. I know we need to bring our own pair but any tips on what kinds of frames work the best? I'm going to get a new pair before I go to OBLC and thought I'd get some opinions. Thanks.

Hey,

Quick questions about glasses. I know we need to bring our own pair but any tips on what kinds of frames work the best? I'm going to get a new pair before I go to OBLC and thought I'd get some opinions. Thanks.

Any. I wore my regular glasses the entire time, without any real problems. At some point, you will all go to the TMC and get your very own pair of BCGs (as well as goggle inserts, eye-pro inserts, and regular glasses). Ideally, it should happen at the beginning, so you would have those things available to you when you need them, but we didn't get ours until after our final FTX last summer.

I'll be honest, I am NOT an athlete. I'm young (21) but I was just never really any good at running, I get winded after running a lap and I feel like dying if I run two laps without stopping. ( I know its pretty pathetic) I am signing with the Navy this summer but I don't start OIS until next summer, so I plan on training for a year to get better. I am pretty sure I can train myself to run the 1.5 under the given time limit, but I hear a lot of talk about the 3 mile run. I don't think I would be able to run the entire 3 miles without stopping. Are we running in groups, and will I get yelled at if I walk part of the 3 miles?

I'll be honest, I am NOT an athlete. I'm young (21) but I was just never really any good at running, I get winded after running a lap and I feel like dying if I run two laps without stopping. ( I know its pretty pathetic) I am signing with the Navy this summer but I don't start OIS until next summer, so I plan on training for a year to get better. I am pretty sure I can train myself to run the 1.5 under the given time limit, but I hear a lot of talk about the 3 mile run. I don't think I would be able to run the entire 3 miles without stopping. Are we running in groups, and will I get yelled at if I walk part of the 3 miles?
When I went to ODS last summer, our chiefs broke up the class into three groups, based roughly around our initial 1.5 mile times. The cross country stars ran at a fast pace and did stuff like sprint up hills along the route; the mid-pack runners kept at an even pace and averaged a bit over 2.5 miles per run; and the slower group held their own. Walking in any of the groups would probably result in getting left behind, but I suspect one of the red ropers would be there to encourage you to keep up.

My advice is just to start running. I was 30 when I did ODS, and I started to run in earnest about 10 months before I flew up to Newport. I went from gasping my way through half a mile back then, to running easily (though sweatily) for five miles on the night before I took Step I, which was the Friday before I left for ODS. I now run a bit over 3 miles routinely, which admittedly isn't much, and my pace is something I am trying hard to improve...but for a guy who figured his knees just weren't built for running for the past 29 years, I'm doing pretty damn well. I had no problem with putting down a solid time in the 1.5 mile test, and I honestly believe that I can bump my rating to Excellent-High, maybe even better, by the time I have to do an official PFT.

There are lots of resources online for beginner runners. You basically want to start off slow, maybe just by walking briskly; then, week by week, push yourself to increase either your running distance or your running speed. You'll surprise yourself at how quickly you adapt.

Thanks! that was really helpful, I realize now that there is hope for me :)

Don't forget a good pair of running shoes. Go to a running store and ask for help (and give a price limit). Big difference.

Hey all,

I plan on driving to Ft. Sam Houston and was wondering if anyone else was planning on driving or if anyone had any tips about driving over there. Thanks.

If you take birth control because of painful cramps and to regulate your menstrual cycle (not because of sexual activity) will they allow us to bring it with us to ODS?

Thanks

Hey all,

I plan on driving to Ft. Sam Houston and was wondering if anyone else was planning on driving or if anyone had any tips about driving over there. Thanks.

I too am planning on driving and I know two other guys who are also. Not sure what ya mean by tips? Don't fall asleep at the wheel is one :).

I too am planning on driving and I know two other guys who are also. Not sure what ya mean by tips? Don't fall asleep at the wheel is one :).

Yeah, falling asleep is a definite "no." I meant tips as far as making sure I get reimbursed or good places to stop. I guess I'm just going to wing it.

If you take birth control because of painful cramps and to regulate your menstrual cycle (not because of sexual activity) will they allow us to bring it with us to ODS?

Thanks

I don't know the specifics, but talking to first years at USUHS, some of them mentioned being on birth control, so I'm assuming it's fine. Just make sure you have a copy of the prescription - the ODS website says you have to have that since prescriptions drugs are all they allow.

That said, I also heard from first years to be careful, because even if you're on birth control, with that many girls living together it can still mess up your cycle a bit.

Yeah, falling asleep is a definite "no." I meant tips as far as making sure I get reimbursed or good places to stop. I guess I'm just going to wing it.

Save all receipts (gas, lodging, meals) and pray that the finance office will sort you out upon arrival. Thats my plan.

Hey everyone, sorry if this is somewhere else and I can't find it, But....

I am trying to figure out when the OBC must be completed. I have just started my first year of med school, and I am pretty sure at this point I am going to try to do a 3.5 year HPSP scholarship. If I sign up for that, do I have to complete the OBC next summer (between 1st and 2nd year?) Is there any way I can complete it after my 4th year instead?

Any information would be awesome! Thanks for the help!

What the hell is a 3.5 year scholarship? Are they paying for 3 or 4 years (pretty sure the military doesn't go halfsies)? By calling it OBC, I am assuming that you are Army. If so, try to complete it between your first and second year, or between years three and four (you may be able to get your school to count it as a 4th year elective rotation). You will not be able to complete it between graduation and internship/residency, and they are trying to stop people putting it off until after residency.

What the hell is a 3.5 year scholarship? Are they paying for 3 or 4 years (pretty sure the military doesn't go halfsies)? By calling it OBC, I am assuming that you are Army. If so, try to complete it between your first and second year, or between years three and four (you may be able to get your school to count it as a 4th year elective rotation). You will not be able to complete it between graduation and internship/residency, and they are trying to stop people putting it off until after residency.

Actually the army does a 3.5 year scholarship. I had to take out loans for this semester but I am in line for the 3.5 year when the next fiscal year starts in October. As for the OBC, I would have to agree with going between ur first and second year. Everyone I talk to tells me this.

you do it when you can. that's the story.

So.... If I assume I do get the 3.5 year scholarship, does anyone know if I would HAVE to do the OBC after 1st year. I understand that this is that traditional, and seemingly preferred, route to take. But there are some other things that I already have lined up for that summer, so I am trying to figure out whether the Army would make me go to the training instead. Basically, how is it determined when the OBC is completed?

I'm not Army, but my experience with the Air Force was that if there were spots open at a time when you were free (no classes going on), then they would make you go.

So.... If I assume I do get the 3.5 year scholarship, does anyone know if I would HAVE to do the OBC after 1st year. I understand that this is that traditional, and seemingly preferred, route to take. But there are some other things that I already have lined up for that summer, so I am trying to figure out whether the Army would make me go to the training instead. Basically, how is it determined when the OBC is completed?

Going to OBC as early as possible if preferable. If you don't do it next summer, then when will you? Summers between second and third year tend to be too short and you want to be doing clerkships in your third and fourth years. If you have not been prior to clerkships, you won't look as sharp as others who have, and staff may develop a less favorable opinion of you. This could lessen the chances of you getting the residency of choice. Will it? Don't know, but why not maximize your ability to perform.

Unless it is a high powered research project, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not get it done. You need should readjust your focus to understand you are in the military and some priorities might need to change. Will they force you? No, but the choice could have consequences.

Free advice, take it for what it is worth.

Does anyone know if there school will allow OBC to count as a rotation for 3rd/ 4th year? I am trying to get my school to approve it but my argument will be better served if I have an example to show them.....

Also, how do ASR people plan to complete this training next year when it is not at all convenient for med students? Any word on that?

THanks!

-Recently commissioned 2LT, MEARNG in ASR program!

Does anyone know if there school will allow OBC to count as a rotation for 3rd/ 4th year? I am trying to get my school to approve it but my argument will be better served if I have an example to show them.....

Also, how do ASR people plan to complete this training next year when it is not at all convenient for med students? Any word on that?

THanks!

Congrats on your recent commission! As far as OBLC, if there is no time for you to go, there's no time for you to go. I'm in the same boat as you. I'd rather go in the summer and get it over with so I can start collecting that sweet 1LT pay, but can't happen. Other than that it doesn't really matter. You'll be promoted to CPT when you graduate anyway, but you will still have to go to OBLC eventually.

THanks!

Yes, it can be done. Two of my classmates and I went during the summer between third and fourth year, and had it count as an elective rotation (and 2 weeks of our vacation time) for fourth year.

Yes, it can be done. Two of my classmates and I went during the summer between third and fourth year, and had it count as an elective rotation (and 2 weeks of our vacation time) for fourth year.

Thanks so much! Which school do you/ did you attend?

I just had my interview for USUHS so i know this is extemely premature, but are the online uniform stores (the big ones, not Czary Pete's Bargain Boots) fine, or should I go on base if and when that time comes?

I just had my interview for USUHS so i know this is extemely premature, but are the online uniform stores (the big ones, not Czary Pete's Bargain Boots) fine, or should I go on base if and when that time comes?

I don't know if you're AF or what, but I'd try things on in person. There was a lot of size variation between the "same" uniform pieces that I tried on at COT.

The uniform folks at COT were super helpful at predicting the right sizes too since they are so wonky.

The uniform folks at COT were super helpful at predicting the right sizes too since they are so wonky.

Thanks for the advise. I'll have to find somewhere close to kansas city if i hear good news from USUHS.